Minecraft Chat

Everything related to the old Tekkit Server
Balthelion
The Almighty
The Almighty
Loading…

Re: Minecraft Chat

Post by Balthelion » Tue Apr 23, 2013 5:05 pm

Well that’s another productive night of minecrafting in the bag for me. I think OmNom got in a fair bit of work marble’ing his end of the red line railway, as well as changing the tunnel lighting to red from yellow. Will have to check how far the marbling extend on my end, but it definitely extends at least as far west as the point its on the mainland and turns north

The Quarry

The filling machine ran out of resources over Sunday night and/or Monday daytime, meaning that it had only filled up to a depth of Y=34 (63 is sea level). I got it started up again last night, gave it an absolute assload of EMC, and when I logged out it was up to at least Y=45. So by the time I get home tonight, it SHOULD be filled completely, and I can then remove the machine, and the framerate lag it causes in my city.

Been watching it on Dynmap, it’s down to the last few layers of filling now, so should be done by the time I get home.

The RedPower Factory

Didn’t really touch this too much last night, and still need to wire it up to the storage system at both ends. I have plans for automating the Alloy furnaces as noted in previous posts however, so I may choose to remove the 6 “spare” sorting machine to make space for this automation, once I correctly work out how to load/unload those using RedPower pipes. Not sure whether I should use my sorting machines to capture any spare materials used for making alloys and store them here. Probably won’t bother, as it will generate a lot of excess, and storage space in the RedPower warehouse is limited already. It’s not too hard to get the mats from the citadel and plonk them into the furnaces here.

The Cargo Station (aka the Cargo Pit)

Started work on my newest outer city building now. The Cargo station features four platforms, compared to the old single platform in the original Dragonstone station. Each platform exclusively services one compass direction from Dragonstone (Red Line EAST, Red Line WEST, Green Line NORTH and Green Line SOUTH). Each platform features 5 unloaders: Items, Oil, Fuel, Lava and Water, which will then be pumped to the appropriate destination(s).

Currently, I’m actually considering either moving the liquid storage facility above the cargo station, or building a second liquid storage facility here, and having 2 liquids per building. Otherwise the plot will be pretty empty above ground. Another alternative is to have the cargo station accessible from the regular station next door, leaving the ground floor and a modest basement area in the plot used for the cargo station, for anything I decide to build there

Anyway, as mentioned before, each platform is totally independent of each other, so a train (for example) arriving from Red Line EAST, will depart again for Red Line EAST once it has finished its duties. Trains only service their one direction, and can’t jump between directions.

It was quite interesting excavating all the necessary space last night. I upgraded Mjolnir (my red matter hammer) into a Red Matter Morningstar (basically a red matter hammer, pick and shovel all in one). That pretty much cost me my remaining diamond reserves, so life could start getting interesting now that my go-to source of EMC is gone. No doubt I’ll just do the rounds around the citadel to see what I can EMC into diamond supplies again, just so I can have plenty of diamonds again so I can be lazy and just go to the diamond chest whenever I require EMC. Anyway, that monster excavated the pit in a matter of minutes, after which I marbled it out, and worked out where the platforms were going and how much space I required.

After that, I put the platform track in to work out its positioning and spacing. Then came the question of “OK, now how do I connect it to my railway?”. Or perhaps more specifically, to the red line, given that my excavating of the pit had laid waste to a section of the red line tunnel, because the cargo station unexpectedly overlapped it.

Well, the Red Line EAST pretty much just does a U-Turn when it arrives at the cargo station to pull into its platform. Train Detector plus switching track with switch motor. Simple stuff. This was the same for any of the cargo arrival points.

Red Line West however – Currently the only railway that has a need for a cargo train currently – posed a much more difficult question in terms of how to solve it. Bear in mind that I’m at the same depth as the red line tunnel - which meant that both the red line passenger platforms, and the associated player junction, and basement wiring, were an obstacle. Also bear in mind that Trains have to bypass player junctions entirely so as to not cause problems on the railways. The solution was remarkably simple one I thought of it. Back over on the west side of the junction, the track still existed for detecting trains and sending it down a floor to my old cargo platform in the passenger station, which again still existed. I deliberately hadn’t destroyed or filled in these areas in case one day they came good. And so they did! I dug the Red West cargo line down to the old cargo platform, and with some minor track adjustments, connected it to the arrival and departure track that already existed there, where they came back up to red line depth on the far side of the junction and joined the normal rail tunnel. Perfect!

Both green line tunnels were dead simple. From the cargo platforms, head straight forwards and downwards, until reaching green line depth (Y=54 > Y=35). At that point, it took an additional straight tunnel just to make these cargo lines reach the green line itself. Again, once they met up, I connected them so one platform serviced the north, and one serviced the south.

So as it stands, all the marble brick, signalling, unloaders and lighting have been installed. Some signalling requires wiring up still, but other than that the platforms are theoretically operational. Although the unloaders have no piping attached so they can’t actually unload. That’s a job for tonight, and requires thought on where to actually pump to.

As previously mentioned, the way I’m intending to use my trains is one train of 5 carts for each of the four compass directions (An anchor cart flanked by a pair of chest carts and pair of tank carts). Each train will operate in a loop between Dragonstone, and the kingdom border on each line, stopping at any applicable stations along the way. When it hits the kingdom border (or more accurately the last cargo station before the border) it will turn around and head back to Dragonstone, again stopping at any cargo stations along the way. It will arrive at Dragonstone’s cargo station, unload, and begin its loop once again. Rinse repeat. Things might get a little tricky when it comes to liquids however, since liquids can’t mix in a tank cart. Once a tank takes on a small amount of liquid, it can only receive more of the same liquid until it gets emptied again. So if the first station loads one and a bit tanks of lava, and the second station tries to load some oil, it can’t, and will be skipped on this trip. That said, since volcanoes and oil wells are limited resources, over time one will run out enabling the other to be collected, so this won’t be an issue in the long term. I have plenty of stocks back at Dragonstone anyway. Items won’t have this problem, since they can mix and match in their chests so long as a free slot is available.

There will eventually also be cargo trains running on the Blue and Yellow lines in Valyria, although of course, neither of these run through Dragonstone. Instead these will transfer their cargo to the lines that do. These may do so at either one or multiple points, I’m not yet sure. The Blue line intersects with Red West and Green North, while the Yellow Line intersects with Red West and Green South.

Plans For This Week

City Walls
Finish adding the Merlons on the city walls, and add wall lighting. Should be a quick and easy task to finish off, as it’s about 75% down already.

Towers
Finish the peaks on the last few towers. Add exterior lighting to walls and roofs. Add Interior lightning. Add windows and ladders where missing. Ensure mob spawn proof.

Outer Moat
Dig the moat for the city walls. Line with basalt bricks. Fill with lava.

RedPower Factory
Connect the RedPower Factory to the Storage loop. Stop mobs spawning on the roof. Finish off the exterior basalt trimming. Add windows. Finish adding lighting. Cover up holes with covers.

The Citadel
Fix the armrest on my throne that a creeper broke, and get some new carpet.

Cargo Station
Finish signal wiring and track layout. Add piping and pipe contents to a suitable destination. Test unloading works as expected. Once operational, and Westerlands pier changes have been made, unleash a train upon Red Line WEST.

Westerlands Pier
Set up a trains-only junction, and arrange the track to serve as the western kingdom border U-turn for trains. Re-Configure the pier platform to service a 5-cart train instead of a 3-cart train.

Disneyland Valyria
Put a roof on the hedge maze. Add cosmetic fluff to the central courtyard in the maze. Add platform machinery to the station.
GW2: Taikken ~ Vasuuki ~ Artuura
EVE: Marcus Rushe
SW:TOR: Tannik ~ Celandra ~ Korrun
League | Steam | Minecraft: LeoxStryker

Balthelion
The Almighty
The Almighty
Loading…

Post by Balthelion » Fri Apr 26, 2013 5:20 pm

Haven’t done too much during the week as I’ve been doing other games.

Quarry

The quarry was finally filled in the other day, so the filling machine and dimensional anchor from the quarry have been removed, which should reduce the framerate lag in my city now that it used to cause.

If you still have unnecessary quarries, fillers or dimensional anchors lying around, I recommend you do the same, as it’s a nice performance boost.

RedPower Factory

The RedPower factory is now connected to the storage system in Dragonstone. Items will now optionally do a circuit around the processing facilities, then head off to main storage. Any items remaining after exiting main storage (ie, unsortable loot or overflow loot from main storage) will then head off to the RedPower Factory. Inside the RedPower factory, if it’s a redpower item it will be filtered out, sorted and stored. Any loot which is still considered unsortable or overflow will then go next door to the overflow facility. If an item still can’t be filtered here, it gets returned to the Citadel’s “Unsortable Loot” Chest(s). Overflow loot shouldn’t be making it out of the overflow facility, since we should have some sort of process in place to deal with it.

As a side note, I discovered another new rule to RedPower piping logic. When working with painted pipes, instead of simply going to the nearest matching colour which has a “valid destination” behind it, coloured pipes actually act as hard gates. So, for example, ONLY white-tagged items can pass through a white pipe. And if the only available chest is placed behind both a white and red pipe, white tagged items cannot “see” the chest, because it’s behind the red pipe, and so inaccessible to a white-tagged item. Took me a while to work that one out.

Cargo Station

Finally got my cargo station operational now. Trains are still behaving wildly, with the carts often getting themselves in a jumbled up order like spaghetti, so it looks like I will have to revert to my old 3-cart train design (which itself only existed because 5 carts was buggy back then), which is a lot more reliable. This does however unfortunately mean that I can only have ONE tank cart, and ONE chest cart per train. That said, I have discovered in the config files that it is possible to increase the capacity of the tank carts, within reason. I think I doubled it from 8 buckets to 16 buckets last night, which should help make up for losses, although it does still mean that only one type of liquid (oil, lava, water or fuel) can be loaded onto the train at any one time.

I’ve been toying with the idea of having multiple trains in operation on each line, but that presents operational challenges that I don’t know how to overcome currently.

Cart Supplies

The Ender chests seem to have spontaneously lost all their contents again, meaning that the stations (and rollercoaster) are out of carts – despite me having restocked them with loads in recent weeks. I think I did restock it with a couple though. I Think I’m going to set up a fully automated system, for the server’s benefit, to address this issue which seems to crop up every few weeks. Basically I’ll have an Energy Collector providing free EMC to a condenser, which is making minecarts, and have a system to push minecarts into the triple black ender chest used for cart supply, if it detects that’s the ender chest is completely empty. Strictly speaking it’s a bit cheaty, but it’s for the benefit of the server and not personal gain. More importantly, it would prevent cart supplies for stations and the like ever running out, even if they had an inventory wipe

Still hoping to get the other previously mentioned items on my To-do list completed by the end of the weekend as well.

Balthelion
The Almighty
The Almighty
Loading…

Post by Balthelion » Sun Apr 28, 2013 3:20 am

Dynmap has now been updated to the latest version, which has resulted in a number of improvements. For example, Microblocks and similar items will now render correctly on the map. Note that you may need to delete your browser's cache (temporary internet files) if dynmap is not displaying correctly for you, or kicks up an error, in order to get it working again.

Dimensional Anchor Limits have also been corrected since last weekends restart reduced them to 3 chunks per player. They are now 500 chunks per player, but as always, keep this to the absolute minimum you can.

Dumnomii

Post by Dumnomii » Tue Apr 30, 2013 8:44 pm

Well I never seem to complete any of my projects :) piddly that they are compared to Bals

But the great lava pump to dain the Nether dry is nearly finished, despite having hit a glitch that deployers are broken, they will fill a lava bucket from a storage tank but not empty a bucket into one, something I found out after trying for several hours before giving in an googling it

But I have managed to build a work around using a buildcraft pump, much smaller and neater than the redpower pump alternative I saw online.

I resolved the intermittent misfire of the deployer before the filter had removed the empty bucket , stealing the lave back by just putting a repeater in the circuit, currently the system works on a bucket every 8 seconds when eveything is fully warmed up. But that is faster than a geothermal generator can use it anyway.

The floors of my facotry facility are finihsed at last, just need to decide how to do the final roof, if you look at dynamap for my area the kids dsicovered the fire aspect of the rign of arcana. The original design used a lot of obsidian to stop kids (big and small) playing with mining lasers. The ring orf arcana truns obsidian into lava though, so this has turned out to be a dangerous shield design. So my levels are out as I think I will need at least 3 levels of something resistant to the fire aspect over the final roof, which was originally just going to be a scattering of sand to return the desert landscape back to its nautral beauty.

Which is now pockmarked with blast pattens of glass anyway :roll:

Now the geothermal generators can be hooked up the macerator / smelting facility can be done, even though now I hardly ever mine. But it will be threre if I ever need to dig an expansion space ( I have a mad plan to clear another block with a quarry and build a massive 3D maze with an End portal at its heart)

Still have to work on the castle finish that

The piston doors are in and working on the village so can spawn some Iron Golem protectors and ask Bal nicley to repopulate the villagers as not seen any mobs in the town now for ages, so finally got all the spawn points, and now the doors are working the golems/villagers cannot escape

The nether mushroom farm is finished and looks cool under the town meaning every farmable resource I think is now present in the town along with an alchemist / enchanter facility etc. Of course after I built it found out Nether mushrooms only grow in the Nether in core version Tekkit uses :( but its so pretty I cannot bare to rip it down

Sooo have built the another nether mushroom farm in the my nether base.

I have an experimental mob farm built around a zombie generator, the hybrid design seemed a good idea but in reality its a bit of a flop.

Doing all this and of course as Drew/Shona have not been online much the girls are getting bord , turns out Drew who is totally fearless in real life is even more of a scardy cat in minecraft than my two :(

So have to work on the water slide, boating lake, pillow fight beam and trampoline for disney land, as the kids have got to try thatas Bals roller coaster will be EPIC when finished

Which means I must get of my backside and finish the red line , which bal has working just need the tidy up to be done

Once I have done that I can let myself build the freight sidings of the red line to get the oil from the swamp of HELL which really turned the red line into a mare back to my base so I can do something with the half built refinery.

Oh I have the design in my head for my throne room deep in the heart of the volcano, plus its associated max lvl enchanting area. Started clearing out and tidying up the throne chamber.

The factory facility lava cored staricase is FINISHED yes lol something is actially finihsed along with all the observation levels, after all from the Bond films we know all Evil Masterminds living in Volcanos have to have observation balconys which are there for no pratical purpose other than to give an intruder a good vantage point.

The actual main grand staircase through the heart of the volcano is almost done, my main pump system which was meant to de lava the core originally missed the lava pool it turns out by one block , almost 200 buckets manually extracted have cleared me enough space to finish it , I was planning to put another nether portal there but that will mean expanding a space out on bed rock on the original design , which if it means another 200 buckets of lava if i cannot set up a pump effectivley may mean a redisign

Dumnomii - Chimp 100, Kiraail - Hunter 7x, Skidald - Grd 5x, Angmia - LM 4x
Skaven - RK 2x, Merrywin - Mini 8x, Kenne - Ward 3x, Xavin - Cpt 4x. Zaphyri - Burg 1x

Balthelion
The Almighty
The Almighty
Loading…

Post by Balthelion » Wed May 01, 2013 4:32 pm

Regarding your nether lava system (based on your description): Just remember if the pump can't pump up the lava (pipes and tanks are full), the deployer can and will still deploy lava in lava, essentially resulting in lost lava.

And unless I'm missing something, It's not possible to build an end portal, only use those currently hidden in the world (Not sure if its possible to mine those blocks and rebuild the portal elsewhere, but there are still only three portals)

Also, don't forget that building nether portals very low down is usually a terrible plan, as you'll usually spawn under a sea of lava.

Balthelion
The Almighty
The Almighty
Loading…

Post by Balthelion » Wed May 01, 2013 5:27 pm

OK, so perhaps not as productive a weekend in Minecraft as I usually have, but I still managed to tick off a lot of long-running things that I needed to get finished.

Dynmap

To elaborate on earlier comments. The Dynmap is now upgraded to the latest version, which is *A LOT* newer. I’m not sure if this gives me any new settings to play around with or not (it didn’t come with new config files, but it may have added new settings to existing configs when it was run for the first time). Hopefully it will not murder remaining RAM, since that keeps randomly spiking on occasions. It has however made many automatic improvements:

Microblocks (such as covers, panels, slabs and the like) will now be correctly displayed on the Dynmap. Examples of this are the many basalt brick trimmings used on building exteriors in Dragonstone. Previously, these would be discoloured, or otherwise show as nasty stone blocks unlike how they appear in-game. All of these will now appear on the map exactly like they are in-game, with no discolourations or other issues.

Frames (as used with frame motors) and any microblock surfaces used to augment them will now render correctly on the map instead of just wood. Examples of these include the outer city gates and drawbridges at Dragonstone.

Note that Dynmap won’t update any old rendered parts of the map until it re-renders areas of the map after detecting a change (such as placing a block down) in the associated area of the map.

Dragonstone City Walls & Towers

I’ve finally got around to adding the remaining Merlons on the outer walls, and adding the remaining torches to the walls. At long last, monsters can no longer spawn on my walls and drop into the city whenever they feel like it (although theres still plenty of spaces they can spawn inside the walls :P).

I’ve also gotten around to finishing the towers at long last. I think only two of the towers had their peaks unfinished (it’s a wonder why I didn’t finish it – a 2 minute job at most). Maybe four towers or so needed some corrective construction because when I did a QA pass, some of the microblocks were missing (for some reason that always happened a lot during tower construction, but they should now all be good). I’ve also gone around installing missing windows and ladders. I’ve now added Interdiction torches (in place of regular torches for those that were already in place) for all interior, exterior and roofing lighting on the towers. Knowing my luck, I’ve probably misses a torch here or there, or another microblock somewhere has vanished, but I’ll sort any issues out when I see them :P

Cargo Station & Railways

I’ve reverted back to using a 3-cart train design, since this seems to be a lot more stable than the 5-cart trains which frequently get jumbled up, and usually run into difficulties as a result.

Red Line West from Dragonstone currently has a train on it, in somewhat of a beta testing phase, until I’m happy that it is working as intended. Unfortunately the lava at the Volcano at Westerlands pier has run dry, which is the only current source of cargo for the train. Which, arguably, must prove that it’s been doing something right at least, since it must have been shipping everything that was in the pipes back to Dragonstone, and successfully unloading it.

I noticed that I had inadvertently used Boarding Track instead of Powered track for what is essentially a one-way uphill only section of track. When a train tried going the wrong way (downhill), it got immediately turned around at full speed, so these seem to make good one-way only hard gates. I’ll test this a little more, and then probably see about rolling these out across railways every time the track passes something significant (for example, after leaving a junction). This will stop any runaway carts trying to go the wrong way round the system and causing issues, as well as powering them back to where they came from, where presumably a player is trying to chase it :P.

Disneyland Valyria now has a train bypass around the station, so that trains will avoid the player junction and continue on their merry way. This layout is probably subject to change once the blue line railway exists and a cargo transfer platform is installed, since all red and blue line trains will then be required to stop there to load/unload cargo as well as simply bypassing the player sections of the junction.

Dragonstone obviously already has a cargo train bypass in place, although it’s not really a true bypass since all trains will terminate there. These are my only two stations at present (not including the many “manual disembarking” points along the railway, designated by the blue lamps on the ceiling of the rail tunnels.

Work In Progress

Thankfully I’ve finally gotten around to clearing out a lot of long-running things off of this, but there is still plenty to do, and plenty more to start :P

Disneyland Valyria – Hedge Maze
Needs a roof to hide the layout from the Dynmap, and maybe make it more atmospheric like going into some dark and scary woods. Green wool microblocks should do the trick – Since now they should display correctly on the Dynmap, as well as being opaque, and theoretically stopping anything from spawning on a roof made out of them, without the need for lighting.

Disneyland Valyria – Rollercoaster
Ah yes, that eternally ignored project. Still needs to be advanced along in construction, but its hell without creative mode, and a massive time commitment either way.

Disneyland Valyria – Station
Still need to add the station equipment so that this station works. This is a current priority, and I was actually making some stockpiles of redpower machinery last night with a view to get this done ASAP.

Dragonstone – Citadel
Still need to fix the damage that creeper did to the throne.

Dragonstone – RedPower Factory
It’s operational, just needs a cosmetic tidy up. I’ve installed the windows, but I still need to put in some floorboards in places. Also needs the exterior basalt trimmings finished off, plus some nether brick trimmings on the roof which should hopefully stop the mob spawns up there. Another relatively quick thing to get ticked off my list if I can get around to it.

Dragonstone – Moat
Need to dig out the remainder of that moat, line it with basalt brick, and eventually fill it with lava. Should be a lot easier to do now with my new Red Matter Morningstar

Evil Plans for the Future

Nuclear Reactor
I’m going to build a nuclear reactor bunker under Dragonstone, Even though there is no real need for such levels of power currently (My solar panels do the job fine, and they aren’t even arrays and don’t even fill any of their rooves.

Railway Extensions
Continue excavating the Green Line North tunnel, and the side tunnel towards Laketown.

Laketown
Give the place a cosmetic overhaul, fortify it with a wall and lighting, and build a station, to be connected to the Green Line. Laketown is, after all, my only NPC Village

Transporter Pad.
Yes. Just Like Star Trek. Although the power requirements for this would be phenomenal over large distances (“I JUST CAN’T DO IT CAP’N! I DON’T HAVE THE POWER!”), and increase based on the amount of kit you’re carrying (Not tested, but I suspect that shoving everything in an alchemy bag will sneakily get around this cost increase, since the bag will only be counted as one item :D.

Dumnomii

Post by Dumnomii » Wed May 01, 2013 9:21 pm

Balthelion wrote:Regarding your nether lava system (based on your description): Just remember if the pump can't pump up the lava (pipes and tanks are full), the deployer can and will still deploy lava in lava, essentially resulting in lost lava.

And unless I'm missing something, It's not possible to build an end portal, only use those currently hidden in the world (Not sure if its possible to mine those blocks and rebuild the portal elsewhere, but there are still only three portals)

Also, don't forget that building nether portals very low down is usually a terrible plan, as you'll usually spawn under a sea of lava.
Yep, actually shut it down last night as in couple of hours it had half filled my storage system I had built to recieve it, quite scary how quick it is moving lava. Its the reason why I had a 8 second timer on the system as well (be MUCH quicker using striaght redcraft dispensers) as a FULLY warmed up buildcrfat pump powered by two restone engines fires around every 6-7 seconds.

Note that is warmed up, it takes a couple of minutes for the redstone engines to warm up and precharge the pump, so its not a striaght switch on system either else you waste several buckets of lava with the dispensor dumping lava source blocks on 'top' of each other.

Hum thought I saw something with people making End portals perhaps it was in creative mode :(

I thought when I read up on portals the vertical axis was 'flexible' and moved you up or down looking for a free space, the important cordinates was checking for a portal in the same chunk as in X,Y

Dumnomii - Chimp 100, Kiraail - Hunter 7x, Skidald - Grd 5x, Angmia - LM 4x
Skaven - RK 2x, Merrywin - Mini 8x, Kenne - Ward 3x, Xavin - Cpt 4x. Zaphyri - Burg 1x

Xothir
Guardsman
Guardsman

Post by Xothir » Thu May 02, 2013 1:08 pm

Was i ever added to the server so i can join? :3
Xothir - Lv 85 Champion

Balthelion
The Almighty
The Almighty
Loading…

Post by Balthelion » Thu May 02, 2013 3:29 pm

No, but we do have the room and the infrastructure now for a few more to join, so let me know your minecraft username and when you expect to be on :)

Xothir
Guardsman
Guardsman

Post by Xothir » Thu May 02, 2013 4:52 pm

"Exlies" Is my username without the "" ofcourse, and ill probably pop in after raid or tomorrow, and probably sometime during the upcomming weekend :)
Xothir - Lv 85 Champion