Draigoch's Lair (Draigoch)

Help & Advice for Raids
Hardric
The Elhirphant
The Elhirphant

Re: Draigoch's Lair

Post by Hardric » Fri Nov 25, 2011 3:59 pm

The glowy pet does not have to attack to Flank. And can suicide for emergency heals. It's a rubbish pet, all the same. I like the idea of a sacrificial LM on the platform, akin to a tethered goat :D

Only issue is when the tank needs an in combat rez and the LM has to tank on the platform.... hmmmm. I suppose if he kept up enough debuffs, the tank would not fall. It would take a courageous LM to carry that mantle though.

Thinking about, only time this would be required is if there are too many LMs AND not enough cappy's. Now, when does that ever happen??

H
In the world before Monkey, primal chaos reigned.

http://my.lotro.com/home/character/2550 ... 377944157/

Mains (75): Elhiredriel/Elharwen/Felgard/Hardric
Levelling: Elhirphant/Ashrisa/Elhiras
Alts: Feldin/Hardalin

Aedfrith

Post by Aedfrith » Fri Nov 25, 2011 4:19 pm

akin to a tethered goat :D
I used to be a fan of tethered goats but now I'm a bit meeeeeh.
Aedfrith - Yarrr! | Aldnoth - Respect mah authoritah!| Hrolfdan - Buurrp! | Rumbold - BAPPLE! | Morriarty - Yak-a-boo! | Hraldan - DORF! | Aldfryd - KYAI PAN TUO KYAI! | Aednoth - BOOM! | Rumbelina - :3 | Mishhar - Grroar!

Cattiwen
Second Marshall
Second Marshall

Post by Cattiwen » Fri Nov 25, 2011 10:01 pm

The biggest issues I've always seen are the inability to stand on one spot and the inability to spot you're on fire. This is of course key in phase 3 where the fire puddles aren't as obvious and also where killing the paws becomes a little more confusing.
Cattiwen - Lvl 85 Hunter
Cattibrien - Lvl 85 Runekeeper
Thorinyn - Lvl 24 Guardian
Cattiwin - Lvl 24 Captain
Cattiwyn - Lvl 18 Champion

Balthelion
The Almighty
The Almighty

Post by Balthelion » Sat Nov 26, 2011 3:29 am

1. The Tank does not take any damage if he does not have agro on the head. So no heals required AT ALL (maybe one if the cappy is slow to get agro). The point is ANYONE but the tank - even the downstairs group needs to have head agro, so the head cant hit a target in front of him. Captain is perfect for the job because of noble mark.
  2. The head doesn't need to be DPS'ed so don't need pets up there.
GW2: Taikken ~ Vasuuki ~ Artuura
EVE: Marcus Rushe
SW:TOR: Tannik ~ Celandra ~ Korrun
League | Steam | Minecraft: LeoxStryker

Hardric
The Elhirphant
The Elhirphant

Post by Hardric » Wed Dec 07, 2011 10:26 am

Last night's raid was a little disappointing but our pugged captian made a good suggestion (though not certain it will work)

The raid should be split into 2 Fellowships only.

The head tanking captain will be able to buff the downstairs DPS group with To Arms and Strength of Will, even without Line of Sight (the physical distance should not be that great), as long as they are in the same FS

This also has the advantage of a tidier screen, and no need to re-organize for phase 3.

Is there any reason for 3 Fellowships?

Balthelion wrote: The head doesn't need to be DPS'ed so don't need pets up there
The idea is that the pet stays on the ledge, because there has to be someone on the ledge. Pet would be in passive mode, just taking the fire DoT, not taking aggro.
The pet's owner, captain or LM, would range tank and heal the pet.
The proper tank would be downstairs somewhere adding to DPS.
Cumbersome and liable to failure but we all love a challenge. Apart from last night's challenge ;)

H

Balthelion
The Almighty
The Almighty

Post by Balthelion » Wed Dec 07, 2011 12:40 pm

Hardric wrote:Is there any reason for 3 Fellowships?
My reasoning is as follows:
  • The captain can't really do much for the DPS group (granted, you say that To ARms and Strength of will should work)
  • It avoids confusing with healing. The healers in the dps groups dont try to heal the two in the tanking group. Might seem a bit obvious, but in the heat of the moment when you see a morale bar go down you'll try to spam heals on it without reading a name first. This leads to a lot of time wasting.
Hardric wrote:The idea is that the pet stays on the ledge, because there has to be someone on the ledge. Pet would be in passive mode, just taking the fire DoT, not taking aggro.
The pet's owner, captain or LM, would range tank and heal the pet.
The proper tank would be downstairs somewhere adding to DPS.
Cumbersome and liable to failure but we all love a challenge. Apart from last night's challenge ;)
Could it be done for Phase 1? Probably.
Could it be done for phase 2 or 3? Absolutely not. Draigoch will beat you to the platform, and will one shot you while you try to set up.

Rielthiere
High Warden
High Warden

Post by Rielthiere » Wed Dec 07, 2011 12:47 pm

Balthelion wrote:
Hardric wrote:Is there any reason for 3 Fellowships?
It avoids confusing with healing. The healers in the dps groups dont try to heal the two in the tanking group. Might seem a bit obvious, but in the heat of the moment when you see a morale bar go down you'll try to spam heals on it without reading a name first. This leads to a lot of time wasting.
on a personal note, this is pretty crucial. the time that is wasted hitting a heal button a couple of times is annoying when trying to keep everyone up, and not quite catching on as to WHO is being healed.

as for a tidier screen there's an incredibly simple method to fix that: go to your social panel, to the raid section, and configure the vitals of the groups you need to see. the tanking group can be excluded from the screen easily - leaving visible the people you need to see. while this can also be done by de-selecting the specific people who ARE upstairs, when they come down it leads to the problem of healers needing to re-enable them on screen at the start of phase 3 - time which could be used looking after the group. the absense of vitals is usually resolved automatically by the reorganising of groups.

Hardric
The Elhirphant
The Elhirphant

Post by Hardric » Wed Dec 07, 2011 12:49 pm

Surprised you think it might work for phase 1!

I hadn't realized that there was a big difference for the head tankers phase 1 - phase 2.

Totally agree about the healer/fellowship issue. Might be worth trying for phase 1 though. Got to beat 45 minutes some day, somehow.

H

Balthelion
The Almighty
The Almighty

Post by Balthelion » Wed Dec 07, 2011 1:16 pm

Hardric wrote:Surprised you think it might work for phase 1!

I hadn't realized that there was a big difference for the head tankers phase 1 - phase 2.

Totally agree about the healer/fellowship issue. Might be worth trying for phase 1 though. Got to beat 45 minutes some day, somehow.

H
I'll give you a bit more info then:-

Phase 1, Draigoch tell/movement is pretty lengthy. You can move to the other platform with about 5-10s to spare, which means you should have enough time to deploy your pet, and get into a position to tag & run. Whether you can actually HOLD that agro is another matter entirely....

Phase 2, Draigoch tell is pretty late, just before he kicks in the coin storm slow effect. This means he arrives on the platform at the same time as you at best, or usually slightly before you. So if you step out then, you'll be murdered.

Phase 3 - you won't be able to see which way he will rotate until pretty late. Meaning you will have to run to the head past a front claw or two. Which means you'll likely take a hit from a claw or two, AND the head. Which hurts even more.

Even Ufast's morale-whore build will probably be one-shottable by Draigoch's head.

Hardric
The Elhirphant
The Elhirphant

Post by Hardric » Wed Dec 07, 2011 1:27 pm

So in phase 3, the captain's range tanking with Noble Mark won't work?

H