Didnt realise it was going THIS badly for bioware!?

The Rangers of Endor
Grim
Captain General
Captain General

Didnt realise it was going THIS badly for bioware!?

Post by Grim » Fri Jun 15, 2012 1:27 pm

Apparently the lead designer let slip in an interview that theyre seriously considering going free to play. They must have lost a lot of players for that to be happening so soon!

http://uk.ign.com/articles/2012/06/15/b ... d-republic
Grimhelmd - 75 Guardian
Turrion - 75 Captain
Tergon - 75 Loremaster
Terrann - 20 Warden
Grimthryd - 20 Champion
Grimharl - 9 Minstrel
Grimfoil - 1 Burglar

Danfast
Second Marshall
Second Marshall

Re: Didnt realise it was going THIS badly for bioware!?

Post by Danfast » Fri Jun 15, 2012 2:30 pm

If they do that probably I'll give it a try also :)
To me it's a big surprise as Bioware is one of the best game companies, but they failed a bit with ME3 in my opinion also.
Don't know about SWTOR, but ME3 was a disappointment.
Danfast - 85 Gu
Elenarwen - 85 Lm
Elenad - 85 Ch
Healerosi - 85 Mi
Kapetanos - 85 Ca
Hrethgir - 85 Bu
Falaim - 26 Hu
Beryc - 15 Rk
Failmeister - 14 Wd

Rielthiere
High Warden
High Warden

Post by Rielthiere » Fri Jun 15, 2012 2:49 pm

likewise, i'll give it a look if it goes F2P too. just to have a look.

i think the problem is they hyped SWTOR to the heavens.... then failed to deliver anything that was stronger than the personal storyline.

then, iirc, for the first few months the 'cancel subscription' button was unavailable... to me, that would leave a sour taste if i joined a game (even intending to keep subbing) only to discover that there was no option to opt out of it.

i haven't played SWTOR myself, and i'm sure it's a fine game for what's there - but my understanding is that there really isn't enough there for the hype that was provided in advance.

Hal
RIVEN!!!
RIVEN!!!

Post by Hal » Fri Jun 15, 2012 4:04 pm

BioWare hasn't really produced a good game since EA merged them with Mythic Entertainment in late 2009 (note Dragon Age and Mass Effect 2 had already been released and was well into production by then respectively). Arguably every game they've produced since then has been a cash cow (DA2), failed to meet expectations (ME3), or has been so over-hyped there was no way they could deliver what they were trying to promise (SW:TOR)

nostborn
Disturber of the Peace
Disturber of the Peace

Post by nostborn » Fri Jun 15, 2012 4:49 pm

the launch didnt help Bioware, it had a rather bumpy launch where they split there player base far too thin over far too many servers which lost some subscribers, they have now realised to get a good base of pvp going on and instances they need more on servers hence the transfers and personally i have seen many return because of this. however from my point of view there are plenty of people still playing and enjoying SWTOR.

To be honest if you look at the changing MMO market over the last 5 years there has been a bigger trend to get your games as Free to play, the business model does work and will consistently work and have people spending money as opposed to the subscription based. Personally i don't think a game going free to play should be though about as in trouble, hell F2P works wonders with Lotro (yes i understand the lotro community had fallen) however the F2P model is the future and will be the way more and more games companies drive to as it will give the community more flexibility and still achieve the revenue that the company needs to fund development and further projects.

Also i have been told from some people i know in the business that Bioware has indeed lost a lot of staff due to the issues caused by ME and reshuffling of staff has had to happen so again referring back to the paragraph above the F2P model does allow flexibility for both Customer and Developer.

Apologies for the professional nature of this email i just got home from work. Normal Service will be returned shortly
EvE - Nostborn Amatin / Steam - Nostborn / Raptr - Nostborn

https://zkillboard.com/character/93160905/

Balthelion
The Almighty
The Almighty
Loading…

Post by Balthelion » Fri Jun 15, 2012 5:28 pm

Term: Free-to-play

Description: A means of making people unwilling to spend money for a game subscription willingly pay EVEN MORE money via microtransactions
GW2: Taikken ~ Vasuuki ~ Artuura
EVE: Marcus Rushe
SW:TOR: Tannik ~ Celandra ~ Korrun
League | Steam | Minecraft: LeoxStryker

nostborn
Disturber of the Peace
Disturber of the Peace

Post by nostborn » Fri Jun 15, 2012 5:32 pm

See if people are Dumb enough to pay more with the micro transactions (which People as a whole are) then its a good business model.

AND im back to the normal Cynical Self

Cattiwen
Second Marshall
Second Marshall

Post by Cattiwen » Sat Jun 16, 2012 10:44 am

The interview I read said it would be free2play up to level 15. Personally I quite liked the game though I think I prefer non PvP servers having been ganked in the first PvP zone I set foot in!
Cattiwen - Lvl 85 Hunter
Cattibrien - Lvl 85 Runekeeper
Thorinyn - Lvl 24 Guardian
Cattiwin - Lvl 24 Captain
Cattiwyn - Lvl 18 Champion

Dumnomii

Post by Dumnomii » Thu Jun 21, 2012 8:36 pm

Balthelion wrote:Term: Free-to-play

Description: A means of making people unwilling to spend money for a game subscription willingly pay EVEN MORE money via microtransactions
Amazingly enough, a lot of people in the F2P game model spend more money in a single microtransaction than a years subs!

Human mentality never ceases to amaze me. Look at how much some people are prepared to spend on crappy 'free' games like castleville etc on face book.

I think any online game now , not designed with a F2P model in mind is shooting itself in the foot, knee, ankle etc

Dumnomii - Chimp 100, Kiraail - Hunter 7x, Skidald - Grd 5x, Angmia - LM 4x
Skaven - RK 2x, Merrywin - Mini 8x, Kenne - Ward 3x, Xavin - Cpt 4x. Zaphyri - Burg 1x

nostborn
Disturber of the Peace
Disturber of the Peace

Post by nostborn » Thu Jun 21, 2012 8:43 pm

I would just point out, if any of those who had a sub or would want to try let me know and come to Freedon Nadd. Can join the guild im in The Guardians of Light