Relogging For Loot is an Exploit

Any other Help or Advice that you need.
Balthelion
The Almighty
The Almighty
Loading…

Relogging For Loot is an Exploit

Post by Balthelion » Tue Sep 06, 2011 10:54 am

Stating a well known (though oft disregarded) fact, but found a link with an official statement of Turbine stating this was an exploit. Putting it here for safe keeps, or if you want to smack PUGs in the face with the cold wet fish of the law :)

http://forums.lotro.com/showthread.php? ... ost5011852

A History of the Issue:

There were issues with some (all?) instances where some people were unable to loot bosses/chests in sertain circumstances (such as being dead for the kill), which forced Turbine to relax the rules.

People then discovered that this meant that they could relog to another character and enter the instance to loot the chest. This exploit was most noticably a problem in Watcher, where in a pug run most of the group would relog. Instead of rolling against 2 people for a rare drop, you then usually rolled against 8+, which was obviously unfair.

Turbine then fixed this in most (all now?) instances - specifically OD and BG, so the chests were "bound" to the players in the group when the kill was made (in a method which didn't exclude people from looting if they were dead, or link dead, or whatever)
GW2: Taikken ~ Vasuuki ~ Artuura
EVE: Marcus Rushe
SW:TOR: Tannik ~ Celandra ~ Korrun
League | Steam | Minecraft: LeoxStryker

Netham
First Marshall
First Marshall

Re: Relogging For Loot is an Exploit

Post by Netham » Tue Sep 06, 2011 1:55 pm

I'm still wet behind the ears with LOTRO that I didn't know there used to be an issue (that's now 'fixed'), so I was kinda surprised that on one run a person got loot for their alt and actually it worked. Yesterday we had a Sarenzer drop and Maddy was on his mini, so I thought it'd work for that also, but it didn't.

The post is from 2010 so I'm assuming they've either fixed a smaller hole just a while ago, or there still are some ways to go around this...
All the Neth chars in kin except Nethoss :)

Balthelion
The Almighty
The Almighty
Loading…

Re: Relogging For Loot is an Exploit

Post by Balthelion » Tue Sep 06, 2011 2:11 pm

They implemented a major change at F2P launch, which Definately affected BG (and later OD) but may or may not now have been retroactively applied to all "lesser" instances. So Watcher and Rift for example.

It got mentioned in two recent threads in the forums, so I assume theres still potential for it to be exploited (but don't do it of course, because it's illegal and you'll get punished if found out)

I had the official Codemasters confirmation, but now I've bookmarked Turbines official stance here for everyones reference. Very handy for shoving in the face of people who try to justify their cheating actions :)
GW2: Taikken ~ Vasuuki ~ Artuura
EVE: Marcus Rushe
SW:TOR: Tannik ~ Celandra ~ Korrun
League | Steam | Minecraft: LeoxStryker