Minecraft Chat

Everything related to the old Tekkit Server
Dumnomii

Re: Minecraft Chat

Post by Dumnomii » Mon May 13, 2013 8:24 pm

Energy links are amazing I use them to convert my Geothermal generators to run the Quarrys and even refinerys.

Things absolutly fly along without the explosive tendacies of Combustion engines

But on a pain the butt note , I was away last weekend and not around to watch the kids, I hope they where not to much of a mare Xothir, but can everyone please remove Dumnomii and Mininomii from your home lists. Despite pinky promises not to use the rings of arcana in towns/castles are main town is now a smoking ruin

I can only see a few glass craters near your base Xothir but if they did any real damage let me know and I will put it right.

I just do not want to see other peoples hard work reudced to ash so the kids have a week ban, and I have told them they are loosing there 'visitation' rights to other peoples bases until they proove themselves, also Red line will be disabled near the our town to stop them escpaing that way.

Dumn :(

Dumnomii - Chimp 100, Kiraail - Hunter 7x, Skidald - Grd 5x, Angmia - LM 4x
Skaven - RK 2x, Merrywin - Mini 8x, Kenne - Ward 3x, Xavin - Cpt 4x. Zaphyri - Burg 1x

Balthelion
The Almighty
The Almighty
Loading…

Post by Balthelion » Tue May 14, 2013 9:27 am

*Raises shields and activates the tesla coils*

-----

Btw, if the server gets a bit problematic, let me know here and i'll restart it at the earliest opportunity. Scheduled resets are still unavailable, and the server RAM usage just goes up over time if it doesn't get a daily or so restart. If/When that feature does come back, I'm probably going to add a 3pm reset to the existing 6am reset.
GW2: Taikken ~ Vasuuki ~ Artuura
EVE: Marcus Rushe
SW:TOR: Tannik ~ Celandra ~ Korrun
League | Steam | Minecraft: LeoxStryker

Balthelion
The Almighty
The Almighty
Loading…

Post by Balthelion » Wed May 15, 2013 4:52 pm

Been somewhat absent from Minecraft over recent days. Maybe suffering from a slight burnout I guess, and a lack of direction for things to do that aren’t mega projects (eg Disneyland)

The Greenhouse

That said, I’ve now started work on a new construction project: The Greenhouse. This is a project to apply some level of automation to my existing crop breeding system. It’s impossible (as far as I can tell) to automate the harvesting of these crops, but I believe I’ve figured out a way to automate the caretaking of the crops, by means of automatically creating Fertiliser, Weedkiller and Hydration Cells, and distributing these among 8 machines which will automatically apply these to the crops inside the warehouse. Unfortunately it’s a fairly complicated process without resorting to cheaty methods. Luckily, I discovered that the math balanced out perfectly in the end, to ensure equal production.

Weed-Ex (Weedkiller)

This is made with three components. Redstone, Grin Powder, and an Empty cell. I discovered that it was possible to create these in batches of 16, this being the smallest number where all the components could be created in equal numbers (IE, 16 of each)

Redstone has an EMC value of 64. 16 x 64 = 1024 EMC

Grin Powder is made by macerating spider eyes. This produces 2 grin powder per 1 spider eye, so I need 8 spider eyes. A spider eye is 128 EMC. 8 x 128 = 1024 EMC

Empty Cells are made using 4 Tin Ingots, which produces 16 Empty Cells. I therefore need only 4 Tin Ingots. 1 Tin Ingot is 256 EMC. 4 x 256 = 1024 EMC.

So basically, I need to generate three streams of 1024 EMC, after which I have enough raw material to make 16 Bottles of Weedkiller. Each crop tending machine holds 3 cans of weed killer, so for 8 machines they have a capacity of 24 bottles (Weed-EX does not stack).. So these should restock faster than they are used. Which is not a bad thing (You’ll see why later).

Now, I have to automate this production, So I’m using three cobblestone generators, each feeding a condenser making Redstone, Spider Eyes and Tin Ingots respectively. Redstone needs no processing, so it just gets shipped to a regular chest once converted (Automatic crafting tables cannot draw from the inventory of a condenser). Spider eyes get sent to a macerator, and the grin powder gets sent to a second regular chest. Tin Ingots get sent to a regular chest where they are crafted into empty cells by an automatic crafting table, then sent to another chest. At this point, we have all the components we need, and these three chests are linked to another crafting table, outputting Weed-killer. This then gets sent into the supply loop. More on that later.

Hydration Cells

Like Weed-Ex, Hydration cells do not stack. And each of the 8 machines can only take 3 cells each, meaning a total inventory of 24 cells at any one time. To make hydration cells, we first need empty cells, as described above. Since there should be no rush to make these, I’m using just the 1 cobblestone generator, to EMC up some tin Ingots, which are then crafted into a batch of 16 empty cells.

I then need to fill these empty cells with water, to make water cells. So I need some fancy work using a small pond, a deployer to right click the cell in it’s inventory into the pond, a filter to remove the water cells from it, a (optional) regulator to only run this system while it has cells to fill up. Yeah, overly complicated for such a small task. For what it’s worth, water cells do stack (to 64).

I then need to extract the water cells to make coolant cells. These do not stack. I then need to extract the coolant cells to make hydration cells, which again do not stack. These will then get sent around the supply loop.

Fertiliser

Fertiliser is the final ingredient, but its creation is unpredictable unlike the other two ingredients. This is because the recipe requires bonemeal (easily done: has an EMC value of 48), and Scrap. Scrap is made by chucking pretty much any old crap into a recycler, but the chance of it producing a unit of scrap varies.

So this is where things get complicated. I should probably explain the supply loop now. The supply loop simply takes the three ingredients made by this factory under the greenhouse (Weedkiller, Fertiliser and Hydration Cells), and restocks the 8 machines upstairs. It’s a bog standard Buildcraft piping loop (It had to be Buildcraft pipes: Redstone pipes won’t work with the Crop-matrons). So what happens if all the machines are stocked? Since we’re using Buildcraft pipes, production won’t automatically halt until space in the machines is available. Well, we turn the problem into a solution. Any excess ingredients at the end of the supply loop are fed into the Recycler, to help with our scrap generating problem.

2 Fertiliser is made by crafting together 1 scrap and 1 bonemeal. Fertiliser stacks to 64, and 3 stacks are taken by each machine. 8 Machines x 3 Stacks x 64 Items = a maximum capacity of 1536 Fertiliser. So we can (and probably should) produce this ingredient a lot faster than the other two.

I’m opting for using 3 cobblestone generators in tandem, producing a single supply of bonemeal to fill a chest next to a crafting table. Excess bonemeal made once this chest is full (as well as any theoretically impossible excess from any other cobblestone generator in the factory) will be sent to the recycler, to help with scrap production. Scrap gets pumped out to a second chest next to a crafting table with the bonemeal, and this makes fertiliser which is then send around the storage loop.

Now, It’s entirely possible that the factory will reach critical mass, a point where it’s manages to fully stock everything, and now its making too much stuff. Well, obviously I can adjust the production timers if I see this happen, but given that any excess is ultimately sent to the recycler, And the recycler has substantial diminishing returns on its productions (Lets for the sake of argument say it produces an average of 1 scrap for every 5 items sent into it), scrap shouldn’t overflow, especially since I’ll be immediately sending excess scrap back into the recycler, thus preventing the unfortunate situation where I get too many items in my pipes at once.

The Crop-matrons

These are the machines that automatically use the above ingredients to tend to crops automatically so you don’t have to. Like a water source block (Which is still required for planting crops), this can affect any blocks within a 4 block radius (a 9x9 square with it at the centre). Vertically, it can affect anything on it’s level, one 1 block above or below (so a 9x9x3 catchment area).

Now the way these need to be supplied has forced me to use Buildcraft pipes, instead of my preferred new RedPower pipes. Weed killer must be pumped into the top, fertiliser into any side, and hydration cells into the bottom (NOTE: I might have these the wrong way round since I can’t check this is accurate while at work). So each machine has stone pipes curled around it, with a diamond pipe above, below, and on the side of it, to filter in the appropriate ingredient. Since the diamond pipe is right next to an inventory (The crop-matron and its relevant storage space for the specific ingredient in this case), if the inventory is full, it will skip the diamond pipe and continue around the supply loop to the next machine (or recycler).

Crop-matrons need to be supplied with IndustrialCraft energy in order to work. They can accept low voltage (32EU), but only need 1 EU in order to operate at maximum efficiency (so a single solar panel can operate this, though not at night of course!). Although power can theoretically be applied to any side (except maybe the top?), I HAVE to connect the power to a side facing, since the top, bottom, and 1 of the 4 sides are occupied by pipes. I’m probably going to run the entire greenhouse off of a couple of low voltage solar arrays.

The Big Picture

So, what does this mean? Well it means that (once stocked) every crop in the greenhouse will have a constant supply of water, fertiliser, and weed killer, and it will be applied automatically without me needing to do it. It will also be applied only as and when needed, meaning I don’t damage the statistics or outright destroy my crops by over-applying weed killer etc.

This *SHOULD* (this is all theoretical) mean that it’s impossible for weeds to start growing in the greenhouse, and thus destroy my crops.

All I need to do is enter the warehouse, harvest the crops, and replace those wooden stick thingies that you use to grow plants up (can’t think of the name of them IRL). More crops will then grow, harvest those, rinse repeat.

All the while, I’m getting both harvested crops (such as the usual wheat, melons, pumpkins, reeds, nether wart etc – plus dyes, Hops, and all sorts of other cool stuff) as well as new seeds that hopefully have amazing new statistics. And if they do, I can use them to replace the existing “Parent” plants in the greenhouse, so that the next generation of crops is even better, and hopefully gives me a better chance of breeding new species.

The Tavern

Since I have now successfully harvested hops, the logical conclusion was to use it to brew either some Beer or Rum. There is currently some Beer brewing at Dragonstone in a barrel, which I’ll tap tonight and hopefully not poison myself with.

Naturally, now that I have invented alcohol in our Minecraft world, I need some sort of establishment to “sell” the good(?) stuff. I’m thinking of having some sort of tavern/pub, with guest rooms upstairs where any visitors to my city can stay. It’s probably likely to draw some inspiration from the Inn I made on the old server, although this time I can actually have beer barrels behind the bar! And when you inevitably get alcohol poisoning, you can just make your way upstairs to sleep it off. :)

The tavern is likely to be built next to the station, above the plot (aka pit) where the cargo station currently resides, since this should be the main entry/exit point for commuters.

Ezzeves
Esquire
Esquire

Post by Ezzeves » Thu May 16, 2013 4:09 pm

Alright! I just got my mate's minecraft account I can use... So how do I get started :D

Balthelion
The Almighty
The Almighty
Loading…

Post by Balthelion » Thu May 16, 2013 6:55 pm

Let me know the account name so I can whitelist you, and then read this thread

Ezzeves
Esquire
Esquire

Post by Ezzeves » Thu May 16, 2013 7:56 pm

Balthelion wrote:Let me know the account name so I can whitelist you, and then read this thread
The account name is Yellowmoonflash. Do I need to download minecraft as well if I have the Tekkit Launcher? If so, from the official website or do I have to torrent it?

Balthelion
The Almighty
The Almighty
Loading…

Post by Balthelion » Fri May 17, 2013 1:38 am

Ezzeves wrote:
Balthelion wrote:Let me know the account name so I can whitelist you, and then read this thread
The account name is Yellowmoonflash. Do I need to download minecraft as well if I have the Tekkit Launcher? If so, from the official website or do I have to torrent it?

Nope, as long as you have a valid minecraft account, you just need the launcher. I've added you to the whitelist.

Balthelion
The Almighty
The Almighty
Loading…

Post by Balthelion » Fri May 24, 2013 5:35 pm

Another productive weekend and week so far in Valyria.

The Greenhouse

The Greenhouse is now fully operational! My theoretical design on how to automate the system does indeed work, so that is happily keeping all the machines fully stocked even while I am offline for long periods of time. The production seems to have balanced out after my initial “boost” provided by injecting a lot of free emc into the system when it started too.

The system could probably be improved slightly. Scrap isn’t automatically returning to the recycler if it overflows (which should never happen under normal circumstances anyway). For some reason wooden pipes are not extracting it from the condenser. Also, some items are being spat out of the pipes underneath the cropmatrons when 2 (or more) items attempt to enter the machine simultaneously, but there is only room for one. I think this is pretty much limited to Fertiliser, since they are produced in pairs. Currently they are being spilled onto the floor where they despawn after 5 minutes. It’s rare enough to not cause issues, or make a noticeable drop in production, but I probably ought to suck any drops up with obsidian pipes and handle them somehow anyway.

I’ve discovered loads of new plants while working in my Greenhouse too!

Blackthorn
A black flower, that drops Ink Sacs when harvested.

Cyazint
A Blue flower, that drops Cyan Dye when harvested.

Tulip
A Pink/Purple flower, that drops one of the Pink/Purple dye colours when harvested.

Venomilia
A Pink/Purple flower, that drops one of the other Pink/Purple dyes.

Cocoa
A Plant which drops cocoa beans when harvested, to use either in cooking or as brown dye.

Hops
A plant which drops Hops when harvested, used to brew beer and rum.

Coffee
My latest discovery, a plant which drops coffee beans when harvested, used for brewing coffee.

-

There are plenty of other plants I have yet to discover too.

I’ve also (completely by accident) discovered that you can right click a planted crop with a cropnalyzer to display its stats. It can only display stats you have discovered already (IE, if the crop has grown from a seed bag you have already scanned), otherwise it is simply “Unknown Crop”. So, this is useless for trying to tell if a newly crossbred plant is any good, but is very useful for telling if you want to dig up an old plant to replace with a new one – such as replacing one of the parent plants used for crossbreeding with a better specimen. No need to put signs above every plant with its stats!

-

If you plan to try crop breeding yourself, I have a few tips to bear in mind:

Crop plots, like normal vanilla Minecraft crops, need to be less than or equal to 4 blocks away from a water source block (includes diagonals). No water means that your crop sticks will “pop” out of their placement after a while.

Fertiliser and Hydration cells can only be applied once to a plot, and they decay over time. Weedkiller can be applied multiple times and decays over time. Too much weedkiller will harm your plants however (possibly destroying them and their seeds) and can reduce their stats.

Walking on plots can easily destroy them. They are incredibly sensitive, so I use microblock covers to border my crops so that I don’t accidentally step on them.

As a rule of thumb when deciding what to crossbreed, you should stick to pairing flowers with flowers and crops with crops. Most things work best when crossbreeding with the same species as themselves (guarantees that the new crop with be the same type as its parents, unless it’s a new species – Also most new species have the highest odds of being discovered when breeding two matching parents).

Some advanced species have certain special requirements that must be met in order to grow – Such as a minimum or maximum light level, open air above them (no blocks at ANY height above them, glass included) or the existence of certain types of blocks directly underneath the dirt block on which the crop is placed.

Power Supply & Recharging Facility Improvments

The Greenhouse is (rather unnecessarily) powered using my single high voltage array.

The Charging Facility now has many more charging benches in it, to allow me to charge up extra items, such as Energy Crystals, Lapotron Crystals, BatPacks and LapPacks.

I’m thinking that I’ll be building a new factory soon to automate production of solar panels, because manually grinding up to high voltage arrays is an absolute pain in the arse. One of the outer city corner plots would do nicely for the job.

Balthelion
The Almighty
The Almighty
Loading…

Post by Balthelion » Wed May 29, 2013 4:31 pm

Not really been on Minecraft much of late, so nothing to report really other than that Ezz, Lili and Snid are all on the server now.

It's still encountering heavy RAM usage (even beyond its maximum!) after prolonged usage, and the scheduled restarts are still unavailable, so I'm having to try and manually restart it as often as possible, which isn't particularly easy if people are online. Sometimes I do resort to just restarting it when people are on it though :P

Anyway, Ezz & Lili have claimed the "South Mainland" territory. Ezz/Lili - Let me know if you have a particular name for it yet, and i can update the map.

Snid may or may not have claimed the "North Mainland" territory. He hasn't officially notified me that he'd like to take it, but I noticed him over that way. So Snid, let me know if you want it, and what to call it on the map if you do.

This means that there is now only one remaining free kingdom on the map - Northwest (arguably two since I don't think my cousin - superlemons - is going to make use of his allotted area).

Xothir
Guardsman
Guardsman

Post by Xothir » Thu May 30, 2013 7:59 am

Well i havn't been on really either, much todo lately. But

I have done a few things, for once i got Wires down into my mines, don't really know why i need some power down there, but i got it anyway.
And to some peoples missfortune or fortune depending how you look at it, ive developed a stable reactor that gives enough power in a safe way that makes it worth it.
Oh and my current system for power, is a few LV solar arrays. Gona make a machine that makes solar panels i think, unless i plan to settle with nuclear power, We'll see what gives me the most benefits.

But ye havn't really been able to be on :3
Xothir - Lv 85 Champion