Minecraft Chat

Everything related to the old Tekkit Server
Niliak
Man-At-Arms
Man-At-Arms

Re: Minecraft Chat

Post by Niliak » Mon Apr 15, 2013 5:23 pm

Balthelion wrote:Are you planning to play it tonight? If so, I'll see you on there at some point and give you the induction tour :)

Yup but not until about 11. I have to go to cadets tonight and teach them how to cook using a gas stove :roll:

Balthelion
The Almighty
The Almighty
Loading…

Post by Balthelion » Mon Apr 15, 2013 5:58 pm

OK, you're whitelisted.
GW2: Taikken ~ Vasuuki ~ Artuura
EVE: Marcus Rushe
SW:TOR: Tannik ~ Celandra ~ Korrun
League | Steam | Minecraft: LeoxStryker

Dumnomii

Post by Dumnomii » Mon Apr 15, 2013 8:17 pm

Bal dunno what the issue is but not been able to connect to the Kin server since Saturday evening :(

Dynamap seems to be working

Dumnomii - Chimp 100, Kiraail - Hunter 7x, Skidald - Grd 5x, Angmia - LM 4x
Skaven - RK 2x, Merrywin - Mini 8x, Kenne - Ward 3x, Xavin - Cpt 4x. Zaphyri - Burg 1x

Balthelion
The Almighty
The Almighty
Loading…

Post by Balthelion » Mon Apr 15, 2013 10:27 pm

Restarted the server, try now

Balthelion
The Almighty
The Almighty
Loading…

Post by Balthelion » Tue Apr 16, 2013 3:39 pm

Just been having a think what else could be added to the three things currently in Disneyland Valyria (currently: The “Raging Inferno” Rollercoaster, Hedge Maze & Rainbow Punch)

Firstly I spontaneously thought of an aerial minecart jousting ride. Players get in a cart at opposite sides of the track, and when ready, hit a button near themselves to toggle “Ready” status. When they are ready, a green light turns on at their side to indicate to the other player that they are ready. Once the second player toggles ready on, both carts will automatically launch though the air at each other, and players can try to hit each other in mid-air. The carts will automatically land at the opposite player’s end, where the same thing happens over again. Rinse repeat until someone dies. Now, something I thought of later is that it’s possible that you could hit the other players cart instead of them, and “unhorse” them. Doing so at high altitude will likely be fatal. Which might heighten the appeal, but then again, a lake under the jousting ground might be a good idea.

Secondly, some sort of “Total Wipeout” style assault course. So far I’ve worked out three obstacles. The first , a bog-standard “boxing glove” wall, where blocks will try to hit you off into the water (that’s right – this attraction is actually non-lethal!). Secondly, the traditional total wipeout balls – Made with microblocks to hopefully vaguely resemble a sphere instead of a cube. Thirdly, an alleyway where you have to jump across the platforms in a ziz-zag fashion. While the platforms under the left and right side of the walls move in and out. So basically: jump to the next one before yours retreats into the wall and you fall into the water. Any more ideas welcome :).

Thirdly, is a game that used to be on the old server, Rainbow Runner. Basically you are locked in a chamber with glass windows at the front, where you can see seven rainbow coloured tracks extended some distance in front of you. Periodically, and in random sequences, there will be waves rushing towards you down each of these coloured lanes, and you need to dodge them to win. Now, on the old vanilla server this merely had a time limit (I was the only person who could ever beat it!), and failure meant the wave knocked you up into lava where you burnt to death. With Tekkit, besides simplifying and/or improving the back-end wiring, I suspect I can take this concept A LOT further. Keeping it going forever until you lose? Tracking the current players score (number of waves dodged) and the all-time high score? Difficulty levels? I think that those who haven’t seen it on the old server might need to see it in action to understand it, although if you search for the phrase “Rainbow Runner” on youtube, you can no doubt find other people’s similar efforts.

Forth, I’m thinking that every good theme park needs more than one rollercoaster. And maybe a “baby rollercoaster” too. For variety, I’m thinking of one that doesn’t have any jumps, or an automatic cart deploying/retrieval system, and instead has a single, multi-cart train permanently on the track. So this one would be purely an ups-and-downs coaster, since trains can’t do jumps, and I suspect that means falls too.

Fifth, And Hal would probably like the sound of this: SPLEEF DOME. Spleef is the national sport of Minecraft. ‘Nuff said. You have an “arena” and the objective is to dig out the floor below your opponent so that they fall to their “deaths”. Now, on the old server, I built a spleef dome that was initially played manually, then later we found a plugin to automate the games, which meant a lot of things. Firstly, the floor got auto-replaced after games. Secondly, the winner got some prizes. Thirdly, people no longer fell into the lava under the arena, but were instead teleported before hitting the lava to the spectator’s gallery to watch the remainder of the game.

Lastly, something suggested by OmNom last night, a traditional platform over a pond/lake where two people can duel and try to knock each other off into the water below. Optional use of lava to raise the stakes :).

Aedfrith

Post by Aedfrith » Tue Apr 16, 2013 4:02 pm

Balthelion wrote: Lastly, something suggested by OmNom last night, a traditional platform over a pond/lake where two people can duel and try to knock each other off into the water below. Optional use of lava to raise the stakes :).
PUGIL STICKS!
Aedfrith - Yarrr! | Aldnoth - Respect mah authoritah!| Hrolfdan - Buurrp! | Rumbold - BAPPLE! | Morriarty - Yak-a-boo! | Hraldan - DORF! | Aldfryd - KYAI PAN TUO KYAI! | Aednoth - BOOM! | Rumbelina - :3 | Mishhar - Grroar!

Balthelion
The Almighty
The Almighty
Loading…

Post by Balthelion » Wed Apr 17, 2013 11:36 am

Right, well then. I’m still slacking on the “actually doing something on my kingdom” front. However last night I finally got around to doing some much needed Dynmap updating.

Four Additional Kingdoms have been added to the map, and numerous adjustments have been made to the Dynmap. A couple of things are still to be changed. All Dynmap changes to each territory are listed below, and we’ll start with the four new ones:

King’s Landing (aka Spawn) – White
This is one of the two permanently Public areas of the map. King’s Landing, being the spawn point, is intended to be used as the initial area of exploration and resource gathering, without worrying about trespassing or interfering on other people’s property.

Eventually, hoping to have a large traditional residential and cosmetic city here which gives the region its name, built as an unlimited time community project.

King’s Landing, and indeed all other public areas eventually, uses white as its kingdom colour, to signal its neutral standing.

King’s landing’s border remains unchanged from previously, although now officially extends a fair amount eastward to my own kingdom border from its coast.

I’ve also removed the map marker for “LeoxStryker’s Mining Hut”, as I’m not using this anymore.

Halathor - Light Blue
Halathor’s borders remain unchanged from their original state, give or take the usual minor differences that come from now using less corners on the border polygons now that they are lines on the map instead of an infinite number of map markers.

Added a new map icon (which Hal knows about), for a bizarre area in which large underwater air bubbles have formed.

Hfonsdalh - Lime
Hfonsdalh has seen a slight loss in territory along his south-western border, in order to be able to accommodate the target of 12 player kingdoms on the server, although still owns a sizeable kingdom. This land lost has been distributed between TenPinn and the two remaining undefined and unclaimed kingdoms in the south-west corner of the map, to help balance territory sizes, and ensure that there is enough room to milk that one extra kingdom out of the south-west.

As a non-dynmap sidenote, I’ve downgraded a Dimensional anchor he had in his base from 9x9 to 3x3 as it didn’t seem to need to be more than that to keep his cheat machine working, and he hasn’t been around in ages. Every little helps when it comes to server performance :).

I’ve also removed the world icon map note identifying his kingdom, as it’s pointless with the new kingdom marking on the map which does that job better.

TenPinn – Gold
TenPinn’s kingdom is pretty much as verbally agreed, with some minor modifications in his favour.

Firstly, he’s gained a bit of what used to be Hfonsdalh’s territory along his south-east border, to increase the size of his kingdom a little.

Secondly, he’s gained a small amount of Dumnomii’s territory along his northern border much to the same effect, although primarily due to the fact that Dumnomii’s border was shaving his farm pretty close. The new border between TenPinn and Dumnomii more closely reflects the original map marker border before it was converted to the coloured lines.

Thirdly, the intersection between the kingdoms of TenPinn, Dumnomii and Adanamon has been altered, primarily to clean up the jagged border it created and reduce the polygon count for all 3 kingdoms, but also to give a small shift of territory in favour of TenPinn, who gains that volcano cluster which was previously in Adanamon’s territory.

There is still a bugged Kingdom Border sign left on the map in TenPinn’s kingdom which I’ll have to remove manually later at some point, requiring a server restart.

Dumnomii – Dark Blue
As mentioned above, a minor loss of land has occurred along the border between him and TenPinn.

Adanamon - Green
As mentioned above, a minor loss of land has occurred along the border between him and TenPinn.

Niliak - Yellow
No changes here, except to note that Niliak has claimed this kingdom as his own, and that it’s name has been updated to reflect his ownership (Kingdom formerly designated as “North” now shown as “Niliak”)

Valyria – Red
Borders are unchanged as of yet, but I’m planning to slightly expand the easternmost portion of my border that little bit more to make it reach the world border, since at this point in time I now have no intention of further increasing the world border, given that the way the world is being divided up, there should be plenty enough room for current and future players.

Removed a number of map icons inside Dragonstone, many of which were bugged, to clear up the icons in that area.

Removed the world icon map marker identifying my kingdom, since that is no longer necessary with the new kingdom marking on the map.

All Other Kingdoms
Remain unchanged.

Work Still To Be Done (Dynmap)
2 new player kingdoms to be added in the southwest.

“Mushroom Isle & The Seas” kingdom to be added in the southeast. Since that corner of the map is wide open seas, It makes sense just to add it on to the planned Mushroom Isle public space and designate it as public territory.

Valyrian border to be slightly extended to fill the gap between it and the World Border.

Bugged Kingdom Border sign in TenPinn’s kingdom to be removed.

Balthelion
The Almighty
The Almighty
Loading…

Post by Balthelion » Thu Apr 18, 2013 2:46 pm

I did some more work on the Dynmap last night, and have now added the final three kingdoms onto the Dynmap.

North Mainland – Purple
The upper half of the South-west landmass, encircling a lake.

South Mainland – Pink
The lower half of the south-west landmass, tucked in the very south-west corner of the map.

The Mushroom Sea – White
The Mushroom Island is another public territory, given how rare Mushroom Isle biomes are, and the fact that this is the only one within the map boundaries.

I’ve also attributed much of the open sea in the south-eastern area to this public zone, since nobody would (realistically) want to found a kingdom in open sea, and have to terraform their own land or build structures all the way out there. Hell, if someone wants to one day, I can make a 13th kingdom out of it, but it’s an ambitious task.

So if you fancy setting sail and plundering the oceans depths, or you have little to no ocean masses in your kingdom, you can now come here to explore and plunder!

Don’t forget that kingdom colours are negotiable, so If you want a specific colour or don’t like the one you currently have, then as long as it is prominent enough and doesn’t clash with your neighbours, then I can change it.

I developed some new technology last night – Shield generators! (Well, Forcefields to use the correct term). Took a bit of trial and error to get everything set up, but I finally managed to activate the shield and, amazingly, small shields (8 Radius = 17x17 area inside the shield) were pretty power efficient. Of course, the more you increase the radius (max 32 radius = 65x65 area inside the shield), it uses exponentially more power to maintain.

It has a rather peculiar way of working too. You set up a forcefield core, and place a forcefield injector underneath it. BOTH require a redstone signal to operate (just stick a level on the side of one of them). You pump IndustrialCraft power into the injector, and the injector converts this into Forcefield power for the Core. Now, the core acts like a power storage device, a bit like the MFE/MFSU power storage devices used in IndustrialCraft.

Next you need some blank cards (can’t remember the name exactly, something like Blank MFFS Card – it begins with M and is 4 letters long). Placing them in the core will imprint that Core’s frequency upon the card. You can then remove the card from the core.

Next you need a forcefield projector. There are many types, which determine the shape of the forcefield generated (dome, area, line, tube, etc). Plant the projector down, and stick the card inside it to link the projector to that core. Now, as far as I can see, this this purely to tell the projector who it’s “daddy” is, when it comes to drawing power. You can right click the projector to set up the options for generating the forcefield.

Powering the projector with a redstone current will turn the shield on, at which point it will begin draining power from the core. If the core runs out of power, the shield will go down until it has enough power to operate again.

Note that you can have multiple projectors linked to the same core, HOWEVER, each projector must be activated individually.

There are also loads of different core and projector upgrades of which I have no clue what they do, but they sound pretty cool (Underwater upgrade?).

Balthelion
The Almighty
The Almighty
Loading…

Post by Balthelion » Fri Apr 19, 2013 4:54 pm

Shields
Well I decided to test the shields on maximum power last night (32 block radius = 65 blocks wide under the dome). It drained about 20,000 energy per second (ouch). I also inadvertently managed to spoil my lava moat as a result, since the shield effectively destroyed the lava source blocks it cut through, and lava of course does not propagate the same as lava.

It also struggled to quickly render all the forcefield blocks when turned on/off (especially in sphere mode). Nevertheless, a damn impressive sight :).

Dragonstone – Inner Gates
Finally got around to installing the gate systems for the three remaining inner-city gates in Dragonstone (North/East/West).

They now operate on the same “push any button to toggle” principle as the west gate, as well as being able to be opened remotely via wireless redstone technology. So, either a remote control, or my master control switch in the citadel.

And also, they are hooked up to my alarm system, so that an alarm sounds when the door is open. Again, this useless wireless redstone to enable/disable, and I have a master control switch in the citadel to enable/disable alarms while doors are open.

Dragonstone – RedPower Factory
This place is constantly increasing in scope and complexity. Did some work on it last night to get the pipes set up correctly, and run a quick test.

The basic concept is this: Items will come into the factory, and land in a chest. Now, I’m thinking that this will be from my storage loop, AFTER it has tried to store everything in the citadel, but BEFORE it hits the Overflow Facility. It will basically go through the RedPower Factory along the way. Hides a lot of the nasty piping :). Similarly, Items generated in the factory, such as alloy ingots, will be forwarded to this same first input chest.

Now, from this chest onwards, there’s a series of sorting machines, laid out in the format of: Chest Sorting Machine > 2 Output Pipes > Rinse/Repeat. The amount of sorting machines can be whatever is needed. Each sorting machine is capable of sorting up to 40 items. There are 8 columns in the sorting machine which can each be given a different output colour (More than one of the same colour is possible if desired), each with 5 slots. Any items I want to be stored in my RedPower warehouse will need to be configured in one of these sorting machines.

Each sorting machine will consider each item it receives. If it has a sorting rule for that item, it will tag it with one of 12 different colours before passing it on. If it doesn’t have a sorting rule, it gets tagged with white instead. All items get ejected into the output tube. Once in the tubes, the automatic tube logic kicks in. If it is unsorted (white) it will automatically go to the next sorting machine in the array, or if that was the last sorting machine, it will exit the RedPower Factory back into the storage loop. If it was tagged with a colour, it will automatically go upstairs into the Warehouse.

The Warehouse has 12 bays each with 8 chests. Each bay is colour coded. The colours we tagged the items with earlier will determine which bay it gets sent to. Upon arriving at a bay, it enters another chest and sorting machine. The Bay sorting machine will decide which chest in the bay the item will go in, by tagging it with one of 8 different colours. If the item is unsortable (which shouldn’t happen if we’ve set this up correctly), or if the destination chest is full, it should exit the bay down the overflow pipes.

The overflow pipes will then collect and do something with the items. Whether this is store it in a chest, or stick it back into the storage loop for the overflow facility to deal with, I’m not sure.

Preliminary tests show that the items are being sorted as expected, although I’ll need to test whether the overflow pipe specification works as intended, or if I need to make any further modifications

Power Upgrades
Made myself some Klein Stars and combined them up into two Tier 3 Klein Stars (it’s like relic reforgining in LOTRO :P). Klein stars store power in the form of EMC, which is useful for powering Dark/Red Matter tools and such. Once I’ve got these babies charged, I can go crazy with Mjolnir in 5x5 block 1-click excavation mode, and dig out some train tunnels

Weekend “To Do” List
Not that I would ever get all these done at the weekend, but It’s the stuff I want/need to get completed at some point.

Finish the Outer Wall Cosmetic work
Need to add the Merlons/Crenelations on about a quarter of the outer wall still, and light up the outer wall in those areas.

Finish the Towers
Finish the Roofing. Add Exterior Torches to walls/roofs. Add any missing interior ladders, torches and windows.

Fix Inner City Monster Spawns
Need to light up the four blocks (hopefully there aren’t more) where mobs are managing to spawn on top of my pipes, and drop down into the city. If it’s a creeper (it regularly is), then there is a strong possibility of disaster at some point.

Outer Gates (x3)
Still have to build the North/East/South outer city gates, which means a lot of fun with frame motor setup. Since these can be a bit of a pain in the ass, probably will pick these off one at a time rather than all of them in one go. I can’t fill the lava moat near them while they are incomplete.

Build & Fill the Lava Moat
Before I can add the lava or the drawbridges, I must first of course excavate the trench and line it with Basalt Bricks. It’s a big task, so I fully expected both the digging and the filling with lava to take place in smaller increments. I can’t fill in the lava near the gates until the drawbridges are installed, but there is still plenty that can be filled in during the meantime.

Improve Liquid Storage Facility
Add a roof. Convert the button-press iron doors to my open plan door design used elsewhere in the city. Dress up the building in the same cosmetic style as the rest of my city (Basalt Brick Trimmings).

Build the Farm
Sugar cane farm is set up. Melon/Pumpkin farms also set up, but need to be planted. Wheat/Flax farms still to be done, and I need to figure out a suitable way to do them. All Farms still need to be hooked up to an “On” switch and a timer, as well as some export piping into my storage/factory loop.

Disneyland Valyria - Station
Still need to install the station machinery, and tidy things up down there, to get the place fully operational. Then, probably at a much later date, I need to update the junction as well to take advantage of the better signalling and wiring design as used in Dragonstone’s station.

Disneyland Valyria – Hedge Maze
Need to implement some sort of roof to hide the maze layout from both Dynmap and the minimap, to prevent cheating. This will make the maze interior dark, but monsters can’t spawn on the half slabs, so should be fine. Also need to dress up the central courtyard with some sort of nice cosmetic work. I have already added some Interdiction torches at the entrance and exit, to stop mobs wandering inside the maze. Lastly there are a few missing slabs, and a missing leaf block near the entrance that I accidentally destroyed when dealing with a creeper.

Disneyland Valyria – Rollercoaster
Still need to develop this further, based on the design ideas mentioned previously.

Railways – Green Line
Need to work on the railways a bit more, which should be easier if Mjolnir is back in action. I think the main priority at the moment for the green line is to get building a large tunnel northwards, and possibly begin marble lining it. I need to double check the distances, but I’m pretty sure I can just go due north from Dragonstone without any course alterations, and just run junctioned offshoots to both Laketown and the Tree house outpost without the offshoots being excessively long. I’ll need to make a westward course alteration at some point after the tree house if memory serves me correctly.

Railways – Red Line
I need to run the length of this at some point to replace all yellow lamps with red lamps to match this tunnel’s line colour. It still (to my knowledge at least) needs the walls/ceilings line with marble between OmNom and the “Channel Tunnel”. As far as the red line east of Dragonstone is concerned, the tunnel is already excavated until the point where the red line would turn northwards. It still needs conversion to marble, as well as tracks, lamps and powering however. Will probably also excavate the tunnel northwards at least as far as my border, or the border station

Plans For The Future

Disneyland Valyria – Hotel
I will be building a hotel outside of the Disneyland wall, somewhere near the station. Besides being another reason to design a cosmetically awesome building, it will also serve a practical purpose. You can set your bed point at the hotel (while leaving your “/home” set at your home) while you are at Disneyland. That way, if you lose a lethal game, or have an accident, you will respawn at the hotel, instead of miles away. I’m thinking of having a design similar to the holiday resort I built on the old vanilla server, although since this is Tekkit, I’m sure I can come up with some crazy shenanigans to make it into a 5-star hotel :).

Dragonstone – Cargo Station

Since I had to destroy my old cargo platform which was in the ordinary station at Dragonstone, in order to accommodate the recent station revamp, I ought to get this running again ASAP. I have a design in my head, but will have to see how that works when I start building it, in case it’s too big, or while excavating it I accidentally dig through into something else. Will be sweet though, As I can have 4 cargo trains running simultaneously around my kingdom, each collecting stuff to bring back to Dragonstone without interfering with each other. I will probably also install potentially 4 more cargo trains, running on the blue and yellow lines in Valyria. The Blue line can then transfer its cargo onto the Red Line at Disneyland Valyria. The Yellow Line can transfer its cargo onto either the Red Line (at Westerlands Pier) or Green Line (At the Marble Vault), and once they are on the red/green lines, they will be collected by the next red/green train to Dragonstone

Balthelion
The Almighty
The Almighty
Loading…

Post by Balthelion » Mon Apr 22, 2013 2:30 pm

Right well that was a long and complicated weekend of minecrafting!

The RedPower Factory

Finally got this operational at last after a lot of work and redesigning, although currently it is purely a storage warehouse for RedPower components rather than a factory in the traditional sense.

There is an initial input point downstairs (currently a chest). From here there is a sequence of 18 sorting machines – 12 bound to a specific colour and 6 that currently serve no purpose. Items arrive from the input into a chest and sorting machine combo. The sorting machine will assess the item against it’s filter rules. If it can sort it, it will tag the item with its colour. If it doesn’t recognise the item, it will tag it with the colour white. It will then output the item back into the tubes.

RedPower Tubes are intelligent, and obey some logical rules to dictate where items will go, instead of the random nature of the Buildcraft pipes. In this case, when tagged with a colour, they will try to go to the closest “valid destination” (ie, storage location such as a chest or other machines) behind a coloured pipe (not simply to the nearest coloured pipe as I discovered). This means I don’t have to worry about having separate pipes for everything at this stage – As long as it’s tagged with a colour, it will go where I want it to.

If the item is tagged with one of my 12 used non-white colours, it will go upstairs. If it is tagged with white it will go to the next sorting machine, where it will be retagged appropriately. If it’s tagged white after the last sorting machine, it will return to Dragonstone’s storage loop (basically since the RedPower factory is the last stop before the overflow facility, the pipe just goes to next door).

As before, storage is divided into 12 colour coded bays upstairs. Once the pipe goes upstairs, it splits into 12 branches, colour coded, for each bay. Items will arrive at the bay they have been colour coded for. Upon arrival, they enter another chest & sorting machine combo. It’s worth noting at this point that a sorting machine can sort up to 40 different items into 8 colour coded sets of 5 items, which is the setup I use. The bay sorting machine will sort the items it receives into one of 8 colours – basically rainbow colours plus black. Although it should be unnecessary since it should be impossible to receive other items, the bay sorting machines will tag any unrecognised items with white, and send it down the overflow pipes. If a sorted item cannot go to its allocated chest in the bay (ie, chest is full), it will seek out the next valid destination of its colour – Which is in the overflow pipes.

The overflow pipes grab any overflow from all 12 bays, and have colour coded pipes for every colour (all 16, not just the 13 I use in the factory at present), and any items that get sent down here will leave the factory and go back into the storage loop around Dragonstone, eventually going into the overflow facility to be dealt with as appropriate, or if they are not processed in the overflow facility, to be returned to the “unsorted items” chests back in the citadel tower.

Now, I still need to divert the storage loop to connect up to the start of the RedPower factory, and connect the end up to the overflow facility, but other than that, everything is working as intended. I still need to set up filter rules for new items as I go, but this is no different to any items stored in the citadel – Any items which can’t be sorted or filtered anywhere in the storage loop will be sent to the “unsorted items” chest inside the citadel, letting me know that I need to set up a filter somewhere.

Although it isn’t set up as such currently, the intention is that – like appropriate items in the citadel’s warehouse – Items which can benefit from repairs using a talisman of repair will be stored in an alchemical chest with a talisman in it, so that they happily repair to maximum durability while in storage. Things like screwdrivers, handsaws, Paint cans/brushes, diamond drawplates etc.

I will still need to set up some kind of factory automation too. A lot of RedPower stuff is quite unusual in terms of recipes and requirements, so may be hard to automate production from the very start (like for example, chuck ores in a box, and they get macerated, smelted and stored). However I expect that I can easily automate an array of furnaces to be automatically restocked from a condenser making coal from items manually input to it. Similarly, automating input for items to these furnaces is impractical, as these need to be implemented correctly with ratios or the entire system will grind to a halt. Instead I anticipate having to manually input the alloy components to the furnace, but then automatically extract the products it makes. This will be particularly useful since Alloy Furnaces regular grind to a halt because the amount of input you can place in it frequently makes multiple stacks of output, but there is only one output slot, and production grinds to a halt. Some of these extracted items may be able to be automatically processed further, others may need to be sent into the automated RedPower storage system.

The Quarry Filling Machine

I finally got around to implementing automation for this, so that I don’t have to manually jetpack down to the bottom of the quarry in order to refill the machine with dirt and coal whenever it tickles my fancy, otherwise it runs out of stock in 30 minutes or less.

This was obviously a pain in the arse from a logistics point of view. But of course, having a construction box – as made by machines like a Quarry or Filling Machine – tends to cause Framerate lag in nearby chunks whenever you look in their general direction, and this lag tends to get worse the longer you are online nearby. For me, in my capital city, This is long and often, so the lag gets pretty bad, and I frequently choose to log out and in again to “clear the lag” so to speak.

Automating it so that I can get the damn thing filled and removed has been on my list of priorities for a while. However, since this is still “new tech” for me (I’ve only ever built one) I was lazy in figuring out how to automate the damn thing. Thankfully, it really is as simple as I’d hoped.

My setup is I have 1 filling machine, placed after defining a filling area (just like a quarry, Although it requires a third dimension). The filling machine already has its template in place - which for a “solid fill”, is the entire 3x3 grid filled with Brick Blocks. This machine is powered by two Steam Engines, both with a constant redstone signal so that they remain on. To the side, I then have two condensers: One configured to make dirt, the other configured to make coal. Both condensers are connected to a filter. A Transposer would also get the job done, but I have used a filter because I can specify a single unit of Dirt or coal in the filter to be extracted per tick. If I didn’t do this, It would try to draw whole stacks if possible, meaning that there is way too much in the pipes. Much better for server performance this way. There is then separate pipes going from the Coal Filter to the engines, and the Dirt Filter to the *SIDE* of the filling machine. I have the filters activated by a single Timer, on 0.750s (in order to resupply the filter at the same rate it is currently depleting dirt. Although a case could be made for using a second, and much slower timer for the coal filter (maybe 8s-10s) since that is consumed a lot slower. I’m not entirely sure which solution would be more economical as far as server performance is concerned. Don’t Forget: RedPower is smart – Those filters won’t output items into the tubes if there is nowhere to end items too because space is full (ie, coal won’t be spammed into the tubes because once the machines are stocked, the filter won’t output more until space becomes available).

Looking at the map, It’s still going, although possibly just creeping into isometric view now, which should be about half the quarry filled. I’m looking forward to finally removing that once it’s job is done, hopefully tonight, or worst case tomorrow, unless it’s run into some unforeseen technical difficulties (it should have had plenty of stock to get most if not all of the hole filled on its own).

Railway Tunnels

Now that Mjolnir (aka, my Red Matter Hammer) is being powered by my two Klein Star Drei’s, I’m able to 1-click excavate large areas. When in 5x5x5 mode, this is perfect for excavating railway tunnels (which are 3x3 hole surrounded by a ring of marble brick, making it 5x5 total). One click excavates the tunnel hole plus the walls, ceiling and floor, meaning I can quickly replace what was mined with marble brick. As opposed to first digging the tunnel hole, then replacing the floor, then the walls, then the ceiling. Bah. It took too long. Especially for the length of tunnels we need on the server.

It would be INCREDIBLY quick to construct the tunnels if one person mined it out with a Red (or Dark) Matter Hammer/Pick and Shovel, and one or more people didn’t the Marble Brick filling in work. So maybe if people are up for some community work at some point :mrgreen: !

Despite this incredible efficiency, I don’t think I’d be quite ready to retire the Thunderbirds (read: Railcraft Tunnel Bore’s) just yet. For those times you just can’t be arsed to dig a tunnel, they do come in handy, even at their ponderously slow speed. Plus, at the new tunnelling depth of Y=35 (Standing at sea-level is Y=63), they should be unaffected by surface water, including the deepest of seas. They could still run into problems that might stop them (such as underground water/lava lakes, or deep holes), but these should be much less frequent than before, at the old Y=54 tunnelling depth as used by the red line.

The new tunnelling is so quick and easy that I have already excavated (and marbled) far enough north from Dragonstone on the green line to reach where the junction for Laketown will be (Although I’m going to build the station first, so that I can line it up with the junction perfectly without any course corrections :).

At this point it’s become pretty clear that each station is somewhat unique in its design. Each has its limitations on how far it can dig down, how wide it can go below the surface without interfering with other nearby buildings and constructions, where entrances need to be and where track must head off to. Not to mention that when it comes down to wiring and stuff, it’s impossible to remember the exact layout of wiring by heart.

So basically, while each station will look the same in terms of the how the platforms and junctions look and operate, Designs for the actual station buildings, layout of staircases down to platforms, and “behind the scenes” wiring may vary between stations. What I’m trying to say is: Stations will not be “photocopies” of each other, but will still adhere to the same basic design principles. Station platforms and junctions will we uniform across the server so people know how to operate them. “Behind the scenes” wiring will make use of the same colour coded wiring between stations, even if the layout of those wires does not match identically to another station. So you can always be sure that the green wire does THIS and the red wire does THAT. And so on and so forth.

Dynmap / Server Performance / Important Stuff

Once again, put off upgrading the Dynmap again since the server was acting up a bit again over the weekend. Plus the usual suspect RAM issues. Simply put, I don’t want to be upgrading the Dynmap if it’s going to require more RAM when RAM has already been riding rather high the past few weeks.

That said, since the server came back up after it’s troubles on Sunday, it seems to be performing closer to expected RAM values, although it was creeping up a bit by the end of last night.

Just check your machines aren’t too adventurous, don’t have dodgy wiring/piping systems, that there aren’t half contructed railcraft furnaces – all the sort of things which might be causing issues. If in doubt, get me to pop over and give it a safety inspection, as I’m pretty familiar with most things that could be at fault.

IMPORTANT

One side-effect I noted from the server restart was that all my Iron Buildcraft pipes had reverted their output directions to “down” instead of the direction they were previously set too. If you use any of those, be sure to give your pipes an inspection and correct them as necessary, or you may get into a situation where items will get stuck in an infinite loop in your pipes, or potentially spill out on the floor, which if it happens fast enough, for long enough, will slowly lag your chunks out to an unplayable level.

There may also be other unintended consequences as well (FYI, I had to re-install the modpack on the server, which may or may not have reset mod configurations). One probable – though unconfirmed – scenario is that Railcraft Tunnel bores have probably forgotten that they are allowed to dig though marble, basalt, ruby ore, emerald ore and sapphire ore.