Ship advice

The Dangers of Deep Space
Obion
Loading…

Re: Ship advice

Post by Obion » Sun Apr 27, 2014 12:02 pm

First things first. Thank you for all the interesting ideas and input.
Been working on the answer over the weekend and hope I managed to answer all the questions

Yepp, Hammerhead is not very useful once the npc frigates start moving. But they do have an advantage, NPC frigates target them instead of me and I sometimes find my self sipping on a cold one watching a game of drones VS npc site. Only downside is I keep having to buy new ones.

I found one of those 'Steve' Balmer series market neutralizers in my storage (Steve Ballmer and Win8 comparison there). Haven't really thought about using those type of things but makes sense and could be fun to play with.

The armour maintenance bot sounded really good, but of course Arwa had to kill that idea. Damn you Arwa :)

The triggered wave thingy I've experienced. Main source of ship loss for me. My Dragoon went up in smokes cause of that. Found a science NPC sites, warped in and it was empty so I slow boat closer. And then suddenly 4 of those penis shaped Gallente ships appeared right on top of me. I was sitting in my pod before I even had time to react.
When that happens I use my standard idea, in the words of Sheriff Brody "You're gonna need a bigger boat".

When it comes to power grid, without that 1600mm plate I'm standing on 12 out of possible 719. Not really using power, so I just tossed the biggest thing I could in there. And for fun.

MJD I can't fit, it has insane power demand
Could a MWD work? If I get put smack in the middle in a mission, fire it up and put distance between me and NPC ships?
Think I need to train navigation skills since they too are very costly in power and CPU.

Targeting range boosters I use so that drone range and targeting range are about the same. Means I can be far away and still control and target enemies. Remove boosters there is no need for the control range thus I can remove Drone Link Augementors too. Then what to fit? I have used cloaking device, but didn't really see the point in the NPC sites and I think they are meant to be used in other scenarios. Guns is an idea but the dps ratio between guns I can shoot and drone damage is too large to make it feel useful. So far tractor beam been the most useful for me when not using Drone Link Augmentors.

When it comes to missions I'm on L1 and they aren't hard. Did most of them in my old trusty Dragoon destroyer. But as you all firmly pointed my ship build is pretty useless in missions. Which is great, cause then I can try another.

What I use the ship for?
- No idea really. My main thing is trying to spark an interest for EVE, and not just log in every once in a while to put in a new skill and manage PI's. But I do like to build them, feels like being a kid playing with Lego. So I've built lots of ships in EFT. But I have no real idea if they are good and usable.
- I want to start missions again, so I can bump standings with station. But so far I've only found distribution and mining close by. Don't really like to jump 20 times to do missions, close to station is what I prefer. I do have the ability use use cloning but haven't tested/read how they work yet.
- PVP I have zero interest in. If it where up to me I would remove that option from every game I play.

What I can fly?
Some time ago I decided that Straitos with Mastery at 3 would be my goal. T2 fittings all around and go relic/data hunting. Not even close to affording it but it's a goal.
So I have
Amarr - Ship typ (lvl)
  • frig (3), Des (3), Cruis (4), BC (3), BS (2)
Gallente
  • frig (3), Des (3), Cruis (4), BC (3), BS (2)
Mim and Caldari I haven't bothered with.

Since I've been going for the Straitos my abilities in Gallente and Amarr are pretty equal. They're both armour and I have lvl4 in both types of targeting skill.

Just wanting to use drones?
Long time ago I went for drones instead of guns, perhaps not the wisest choice for missions but I thought it was more fun.
Considering the massive difference in skill points guns vs drones, I'm not very good at shooting stuff with guns. And I like to be at range, range is a sort of armour.
So, not against guns, just real crappy at using them.

Where I spent most skill points
* Drones - 2.6M
* Resource processing - 2.3M
* Armour - 1.8M
* Engineering - 1.3M
* Spaceship command - 1.1M (lots of skills in that one)
Compared to things like
* Missiles - 60K
* Gunnery - 294K

Should provide some idea to what I can do.

The ship fitting Nost put up looks really interesting. And same as Arc, never really thought about shields on an Amarr ship.
I can equip everything except the T2 guns and the Adaptive Invulnerability Field II (1 days and 12h training left).

From EFT (With the T2 Invul field and Dual Modulated Light Energy Beam I)
EHP: 20,796
Cap: Stable at 78%
DPS: Gobbos only 201 - Guns only 28 (Slight difference)
Resistance Shield: EM 53.7%/TH 49.9%/KI 62.4%/EX 68.7%

In game Bal, showed me the Dominix. I struggle to use those real ugly ships but the attributes of it was really nice. Think I'll put that in my future plans, already got Mastery 3 for it, but could use some more BS training.

Yesterday I bought a new ship (same as above), felt cheaper to buy a new ship than to change the rigs on current for testing. Took a long time until I found a NPC site, but eventually found a drone site. Those heavy turrets hurt and since it takes me a min to launch drones, fire up defenses, start the circular motion and target enemies, they did manage to get a few rockets up my nose. Didn't hurt too much, think I lost 1/6 of shield.
I also learned what the shield booster does and how fast it eats those batteries. I bought a couple, but after that drone fight I was pretty much out.
My normal thing is to just press everything, damage controls, repairers ... and then I play with the enemies and kinda forget about those other things. That's the reason I always aim for cap stable build, and with drones just about the only thing requiring power is the defense modules.

Think I'm going to test Arc's idea, feels more me with things just laying in the background without me having to click and un-click things.
But, and as Arwa said, I too try to keep all the resistances as even as possible. So that EM rig probably will stay. Will see if I can exchange the CPU rig for a purger (Purger - purgatory, sounds like a must have)

Questions
Arwa - Why use it without script? Doesn't script improve it? That's what I thought anyway.
Logi I think I know what it is. Built a Augoror in EFT, with current skills I can run 2 T2 medium and one T2 light remote repairers and still be cap stable. But what does buffer tanking mean?
What is the difference between active and passive tanking? Often I just slap on some armour, repair and damage resistance thingys.

Arwat
Guardsman
Guardsman

Post by Arwat » Sun Apr 27, 2014 1:24 pm

Obion wrote: Questions
Arwa - Why use it without script? Doesn't script improve it? That's what I thought anyway.
Logi I think I know what it is. Built a Augoror in EFT, with current skills I can run 2 T2 medium and one T2 light remote repairers and still be cap stable. But what does buffer tanking mean?
What is the difference between active and passive tanking? Often I just slap on some armour, repair and damage resistance thingys.
I can't really remember where I read it but using 2 modules unscripted with bonus to both options is better then to use a script for wich. I think it has to do with the math behind penalty for stacking bonus.

A while back I tried logi, also an Augoror fit, and turns out that logis work in pairs. Like this http://wiki.eveuniversity.org/Augoror.
The remote capacitor transmitor sends more juice then it consumes allowing for cap stable logis. The only other options is using batteries and fitting all medium repairers.

Buffer tanking is having a high hit points on the ship making it take longer for the ship to be taken down. It can be done both in shield and armor. Math behind it is something like:

ships's hitpoints / damage taken per second = seconds survived

While repairing (either for shields or armor) works like this:

hitpoints repaired per second > damage taken per second = survivability :D

The diference between active and passive tanking is that on the later no active modules are used. It uses the shield natural ability to regen to tank the damage. By fitting something like shield relays and shield rechargers that regen rate is increased and making the shield larger it also regens faster because the way shields regen math works, so fitt a shield extender.
https://wiki.eveonline.com/en/wiki/Pass ... ld_tanking

Obion
Loading…

Post by Obion » Sun Apr 27, 2014 4:17 pm

That was a very short lived ship :) 24h, think it's a new record for me.

Had some fun today chasing NPC sites, but since in 0.5 and above it's almost only frigates I'm facing. I decided to take my new ship and try to stretch it's limits.

Went to 0.4 area and had some real fun. Arwa joined in and my Hammerheads could dispose of NPC versions of Thorax cruisers and Dominix and Megathron BS with relative ease. Think at most my shield was down to 96% left and Arwa in his frigate took out the smaller ships with ease. Range is a very good defense I think, hoovering about at 50-60km mark means very little actually hit me.

We had real fun until someone decided only they where allowed to have fun. So we both had to jump back in our pods. But it took them more than a minute to kill me, even with an Ishtar and OgreII drones, webs, neutralizer and all that. So the build with 2 large shield extenders T2 and rest of that mojo felt sound.

So now I can build a new ship. I like to loose ships as then I can build new ones, but I want to loose them on my own accord. Think that's my main issue with EVE.

Normal NPC sites up in 0.5+ mostly just have frigs and they're not very challenging. Watched my damage output and even my gobbos do about 120-200 damage. So frigs are mostly one pop and drop, not very sporty.

Talked to omnom in game and if I don't want to go to lowsec it's security missions I should go for if I want a challenge. So I'll be doing those instead from now on.

Feel mostly sad about Arwas very nice ship. I use cheap ships so losing isn't a problem for me, but that one looked real pretty.

Arc

Post by Arc » Sun Apr 27, 2014 4:25 pm

Obion wrote:
Yepp, Hammerhead is not very useful once the npc frigates start moving. But they do have an advantage, NPC frigates target them instead of me and I sometimes find my self sipping on a cold one watching a game of drones VS npc site. Only downside is I keep having to buy new ones.
The way 'threat mechanics' work in EVE is that, all things being equal, the NPCs will aggro on foes as close to themselves in size as possible. Meaning; yes, the NPC frigates will target your Hammerheads before you, but they will also target Hobgoblins before Hammerheads. :P
Also, for some reason it seems Hammerheads (medium drones in general) are FAR LESS survivable than light drones. Which is kind of strange to me, but I suppose it's connected to mediums being much larger in size, so they get hit more often and thus take more damage than lights do. Squishy as a....barn door? :shock:
Obion wrote:
I found one of those 'Steve' Balmer series market neutralizers in my storage (Steve Ballmer and Win8 comparison there). Haven't really thought about using those type of things but makes sense and could be fun to play with.
Balmer Series (meta4) disruptors are really awesome! Load it up with an Optimal Range script and it will be a HUGE nerf to the firing range of any ship you lock it on (about 35% iirc??). It will instantly cut off damage you are taking from a heavy hitter (big ship) at range, and force them to slowboat towards you to keep shooting, whilst your drones cut them to pieces! :D
Obion wrote:
The triggered wave thingy I've experienced. Main source of ship loss for me. My Dragoon went up in smokes cause of that. Found a science NPC sites, warped in and it was empty so I slow boat closer. And then suddenly 4 of those penis shaped Gallente ships appeared right on top of me. I was sitting in my pod before I even had time to react.
That actually sounds like a Ghost Site (new exploration thingy); did the site have 'Covert' in it's name?
Stay away from those named "Covert" something, because when you enter them a (invisible) timer will start and when it runs out enemy ships will spawn and nuke the entire site - exploration canisters as well as any players still in the site - with MASSIVE explosive damage (4000-6000 damage or something, iirc), which will one-shot any player ship not prepared to handle it. :o
Obion wrote:
Could a MWD work? If I get put smack in the middle in a mission, fire it up and put distance between me and NPC ships?
Noooooooo!!! Never EVER fire up a MWD when you're taking damage, in an attempt to run away! When active, a MWD will give you +500% Signature Radius, which effectively means even a small frigate will be the equivalent of an entire IKEA warehouse flying around! :lol:
The bigger you are, the easier it is for enemies to hit you, so you will be taking a lot more damage because suddenly everything will hit you and hit you hard. Which means you'll die a lot faster. ;)
Obion wrote:
Targeting range boosters I use so that drone range and targeting range are about the same. Means I can be far away and still control and target enemies. Remove boosters there is no need for the control range thus I can remove Drone Link Augementors too. Then what to fit? I have used cloaking device, but didn't really see the point in the NPC sites and I think they are meant to be used in other scenarios. Guns is an idea but the dps ratio between guns I can shoot and drone damage is too large to make it feel useful. So far tractor beam been the most useful for me when not using Drone Link Augmentors.
When it comes to missions I'm on L1 and they aren't hard. Did most of them in my old trusty Dragoon destroyer. But as you all firmly pointed my ship build is pretty useless in missions. Which is great, cause then I can try another.

Actually, the fit in your original post is NOT useless in missions; it will be fine for L1 or L2 security missions! As per my original suggestion, you can swap out the Drone Navigation Computer (since it doesn't really matter for your fit/plan/tactics etc.) in the mid slot for a Balmer Series Tracking Disruptor I (with Optimal Range script loaded), to try it out and see if it's something you like and fits your playstyle etc. :)
Obion wrote:
- I want to start missions again, so I can bump standings with station. But so far I've only found distribution and mining close by. Don't really like to jump 20 times to do missions, close to station is what I prefer.
Yeah, that's a small problem. There are plenty of L3 security missions for CCI near Parchanier, but not really any L2S for that corp, iirc. I would suggest the following:
Try to find some L2 security missions for some other corporation (preferably a Gallente one; there are some Caldari corps close by, but doing missions for those will hurt your other standings), until you get more comfortable with all the basics and mechanics of security missions. Then, when you feel up to it, you can start trying some L3S missions for CCI - either in your Cruiser or else get a Battlecruiser and fit that one out, depending on how confident you are in your abilities. :)
You need a minimum of 3.0 (boosted, so the 'Connections' skill helps a lot!) standing with a certain corporation, in order to start L3 missions for them.

Code: Select all

Obion wrote:
...and the Adaptive Invulnerability Field II (1 days and 12h training left).
I know you don't shield tank much, but that's a short enough skill training to make it well worth it (imo), since the tech2 Invuln. Field is one of the most commonly used modules in pretty much all shield tank fits.
Obion wrote:
Those heavy turrets hurt and since it takes me a min to launch drones, fire up defenses, start the circular motion and target enemies, they did manage to get a few rockets up my nose.
Start moving the very first thing you do - as perpendicular to the line of fire between you and the turret as possible. It won't help much against missiles in particular, but is a good practice to get familiar with against pretty much everything else (any type of gun/turret system, basically). Get defenses up quickly too. Then launch your drones and start attacking. Lastly you can worry about orbiting/positioning on the battlefield etc. :)
Obion wrote:
I also learned what the shield booster does and how fast it eats those batteries. I bought a couple, but after that drone fight I was pretty much out.
I assume this is the ancillary shield booster you're referring to; the one you load up with Cap Booster charges?
Something that may not be immediately apparent with those is: always load them with the smallest cap boosters you can! This is because the cap boosters of different sizes have different volumes, and the ancillary shield booster has a maximum capacity (in m3) and uses ONE charge per cycle no matter what, so with smaller cap boosters you can load more into it and thus get more cycles before you have to reload. :)
Obion wrote:
But, and as Arwa said, I too try to keep all the resistances as even as possible. So that EM rig probably will stay.
You really don't have to keep them even. NPCs will do very specific types of damage according to what faction they are, and you only really need to worry about EM damage when fighting Amarr, Sansha or Blood Raider NPCs. :)
And even then (if you go for the passive shield tank fit, that is), the t2 Invulnerability Field will boost your EM resistance "enough" and combined with the high amount of shield HP along with the shield recharge rate you'll have, your passive regen will rep your shields faster than they are being damaged. You need not worry about high(er) resistances until you start doing L3S missions. Trust me. =P
I can also provide you with a text file I've compiled of the damage dealing profiles of all the NPC factions, and what tank to use against them, if you want. :)
Obion wrote:
Will see if I can exchange the CPU rig for a purger (Purger - purgatory, sounds like a must have)
The two Purger rigs are absolutely vital to make a passive shield tank work reliably. If you must drop something, scrap the Extender rig instead. You can check the fit in EFT against your skills, but it *should* fit within the CPU available. If you're just barely over the limit, let me know and I might have some other suggestions. :)

Obion wrote:
Okay, I will try to give some very simple and easy-to-understand answers to your questions, and give some parallels to LOTRO (where applicable). :D

* Logi is short for "Logistics", and is the 'support' role in EVE. In LOTRO you have classes/roles that hang back and restore Morale and/or Power to others, and in EVE you have ships/modules that restore armour, shields and capacitor to other ships in battle from the back of the battlefield. These players are your "logi support". :)

* Buffer tanking is, simply put, a fitting/tactic where you increase your hitpoints as a means to stay alive longer, while you soak up any incoming damage and try to kill all your enemies before they kill you. The equivalent of this in LOTRO would be to slap on +Morale gear/virtues to increase your Morale pool (the increase is your 'buffer'!). The important point is: you don't increase your resistances/mitigations, so you take the same amount of damage as before - you just extend how long it takes until you die; you're "buying time" with a buffer, so to speak. :)
In EVE, this is done by the use of Shield Extenders that increase shield HP, or Armour Plates that increase armour HP. In general, you don't use any repair or resist modules (or as little as possible) when "buffer tanking".
This approach is most popular in PvP, where the incoming damage is so high over such a short time that repair modules usually can't keep up (so effectively they're useless) and you often don't know which damage type your enemy will hit you with (so resist modules are also pretty much useless) - and these defensive modules take up valuable slots that are needed for more important things in PvP (damage increase or 'tackle'). So it's pretty much a case of "add on a buffer to extend the time it takes for me to die, then hopefully I can kill my enemy first!". :P
While this tactic is quite rare in PvE, it certainly CAN be viable in the lower-level missions. You just need to kill all NPCs before your buffer is depleted, and with a drone boat at long range you can do it - your fit in your original post is an example of this. :D

* The difference between active and passive tanking is, to put it short: an active tank uses restorative modules that use capacitor to undo damage taken, whilst a passive tank 'heals itself' so to speak. :P
Since armour doesn't regenerate on it's own, it's easy to see that an armour tank can only be of the 'active' kind (using an armour repper), but a shield tank can be either passive (increasing the recharge rate) or active (using a shield booster). The ancillary shield booster is kind of a special case, since it does NOT drain the ship's capacitor when used (unless it's cycled when empty of charges) but instead uses cap booster charges as 'ammunition'. However, as I've mentioned before, due to how it works in practice it's more in line with PvP and buffer tanking, than it is for (most) PvE situations.

Hope this helps. =)

Kitsunegari -- Huntress, 85; EGM Weaponsmith
Safirlotus -- Minstrel, (64+); EGM Scholar
Skullrend -- Guardian, (52+); EGM Jeweller
Nareraumo -- LM, (34+); Yeoman
Archturus (the 'h' is silent!!) -- Rune-keeper, 105; Tailor
Deorwen -- Warden, 88+; Jeweller (+ Cook)
Gilbrindal -- Captain, 100; Historian
Kitsunegari -- Huntress, 100; Weaponsmith
Safirlotus -- Minstrel, (65+); Scholar
Skullrend -- Guardian, (52+); Jeweller
Nareraumo -- LM, (40+); Yeoman

Arc

Post by Arc » Sun Apr 27, 2014 4:35 pm

Arwat wrote:
I can't really remember where I read it but using 2 modules unscripted with bonus to both options is better then to use a script for wich. I think it has to do with the math behind penalty for stacking bonus.
Hmmm?? That doesn't make sense at all. :?
If anything, it should be the other way round; 2 unscripted disruptors would BOTH give bonuses to (the same) two stats - and thus WILL be affected by any stacking penalty - whereas 2 disruptors each loaded with a different script would only affect ONE stat (each), and would not incur a stacking penalty. :P

I'm not saying 2 unscripted disruptors would NOT be better than 1 of each scripted (I honestly don't know which case is true), but there must be another reason for it than the above, since it's contradictory. ;)

nostborn
Disturber of the Peace
Disturber of the Peace

Post by nostborn » Sun Apr 27, 2014 4:43 pm

The Threat mechanics aren't just on Size ships by the way. There are many other different mechanics all rolled into one. I know the NPC's also use Sensor strength (I Think) so if you put a sensor booster on your ships and run it the agro should then be on you and your drones will be free to mess about killing stuff. I haven't bothered trying this since being down in null as ratting isn't high on my priorities however I know others use this tactic or something similar to keep drones alive.
EvE - Nostborn Amatin / Steam - Nostborn / Raptr - Nostborn

https://zkillboard.com/character/93160905/

Obion
Loading…

Post by Obion » Sun Apr 27, 2014 11:55 pm

Sorry Arc, accidentally pushed edit instead of quote on your post so had to rebuild it. The great info is still the same, just not looking exactly the same with quotes.

And now I lost my own text. Will type it up again tomorrow.

Obion
Loading…

Post by Obion » Mon Apr 28, 2014 10:41 am

Had some great fun doing L4 missions with Bal. Thank you for the invite.

I like the new ship build with shields, it's great fun and also feels quite sturdy.
Range and movement helped a fair bit too I recon.
But that theory about aiming for same size ships I'm not putting too much trust in. Bal in his huuuge BS and me in my tiiiny Cruiser, I was further away and don't have boosters on. Guess who they all decided to target? Lazers and freakking rocket all coming my way.
I was down to 13% structure integrity (fair amount of screaming from me) when I finally managed to warp out. Ship was smoking when I got to station :)
But at least Bal had less debuffs coming his way so he could kill of things. Obi the meatshield might be a fitting name.
And I learnt a new tactics. When shields are on about 50%, start aligning for warp out.

But with only a few BS and cruisers firing my way I was able to stay quite a long time. And as long as I was moving, and enemies missing, the shields where able to regen.

That second mission was really tough, think Bal was banged up pretty good at the end too. It was just wave after wave of enemies charging down on us.

Last mission Hardric joined in with his BS, think that made Bal's life bit easier. And I din't have any worries in that one.

When it comes to damage, my drones where able to pick of frigates and cruisers quite easily. BS not so much, not L4 type of BS anyway.

In the end of the day I think I went even steven money wise, counting in the lost ship and building a new one. 15Mil or so in bountys, a bump to 2 in standing with Dixie corp, 6k LP's + a fair amount of loot I can sell or use.

And I've also been able to start L2 mining missions for home base corp, located in same solar system as home base so that's convenient. Apparently I only had 3 L1's left for L2 availability.
And now I can do L2 sec missions for Fed Navy thanx to the L4 mission I took part in.

That Dominix is starting to feel very good by now. Already got Mastery 3 on it, but could use some more BS training and quite large sum of money. Probably need some other training too that I haven't figured out yet.

And Arc. Think I've figured out what Arwa meant with fitting 2 different drone scripts. Range script adds 100% range bonus but removes 100% from tracking speed bonus. And tracking script do the same but reversed. So with one of each they negate each other.
Unscripted the Omnidirectional Tracking Link II adds 7.5% tracking range bonus and 15% tracking speed bonus. You get a penalty for equipping 2 but not as much as using two different scripts.

Arwat
Guardsman
Guardsman

Post by Arwat » Mon Apr 28, 2014 10:44 am

Obion wrote:Feel mostly sad about Arwas very nice ship. I use cheap ships so losing isn't a problem for me, but that one looked real pretty.
No worries, mate :D

Although she did looked nice, it wasn't very expensive, and as I said I had fun!

That's the thing about Eve I enjoy the most, when another ships appears on grid and turns yellow, I get a rush of adrenalin like in no other game :D
Arc wrote:
Arwat wrote:
Hmmm?? That doesn't make sense at all. :?
If anything, it should be the other way round; 2 unscripted disruptors would BOTH give bonuses to (the same) two stats - and thus WILL be affected by any stacking penalty - whereas 2 disruptors each loaded with a different script would only affect ONE stat (each), and would not incur a stacking penalty. :P

I'm not saying 2 unscripted disruptors would NOT be better than 1 of each scripted (I honestly don't know which case is true), but there must be another reason for it than the above, since it's contradictory. ;)
I tried googling for the answer and the best I came up with was a forum thread of Eve-University. Still not sure how the math works but it does confirm that 2 modules unscripted give more bonus then 2 modules scripted for each bonus.
http://forum.eveuniversity.org/viewtopi ... 66&t=77951

Arc

Post by Arc » Tue Apr 29, 2014 2:31 pm

Obion wrote:But that theory about aiming for same size ships I'm not putting too much trust in. Bal in his huuuge BS and me in my tiiiny Cruiser, I was further away and don't have boosters on. Guess who they all decided to target? Lazers and freakking rocket all coming my way.
Yes, exactly. The way the threat mechanics in EVE works is that NPCs will aggro on whatever they perceive to be the biggest 'threat' to them at any given time. This is fairly complex in detail but could be summarised into a few (3 iirc) rules of thumb, the first of which is; all else being equal the NPCs will attack the target that is closest to them in size. This effectively means that if you take your Cruiser (a medium-sized ship) into a L4S mission alongside a Battleship (a very large ship), then something like 90% (or more?) of the NPC ships in there will head straight for you when they become active, just because of you being on-grid in the ship you're in!
To make it a bit more clear, in terms of ship size: Frigates (small), Destroyers (small), Cruisers (medium) and Battlecruisers (medium) - all of these types of NPC ships determine that YOU (Cruiser, medium) is closer to them in size than is Bal (Battleship, large), so they will swarm against you from the moment they wake up, no matter if you're just sitting far out (range doesn't matter - you're on the grid, so you're 'visible' to them) or doing nothing at all. They aggro on you until a BIGGER threat pulls them off of you; such as focus fire, logistics or EWAR from another ship.
NPCs really, really hate EWAR and logistics - that's a huuuge aggro magnet (think of it e.g. like massive AoE healing in LOTRO) - and will do everything they can to take out that threat. So if the large ship is meant to be 'tanking' most of the NPCs, then this is a very good way to piss them off enough to grab their attention. For instance, if Bal had fitted a logistics module and started repping you, most of them would've been onto him instantly, like bees on honey. :P
Obion wrote:But with only a few BS and cruisers firing my way I was able to stay quite a long time. And as long as I was moving, and enemies missing, the shields where able to regen.
Yes, indeed. A passive tank cannot take VERY high incoming damage (like in L4S missions) for very long; it can handle some quick spikes though due to the naturally higher buffer. It can, however, sustain low-to-medium damage for a very, very long time - indefinitely, if the recharge rate per second is higher than the DPS. An important think to be aware of is that shield recharge rate will also vary depending on percentage of shields left; it's strongest in the interval 33-67% iirc (with the peak recharge rate at ~33%), and is much, much lower in the 'end-zones' (0-10% and 90-100%). So the rate is not fixed and equal, but will vary continuously across the spectrum. In other words: don't worry too much if shields drop down to 65-75%, because often they will stabilise somewhere around there. If dropping quickly below 50% though, then you can start to worry somewhat. ;)
Obion wrote:When it comes to damage, my drones where able to pick of frigates and cruisers quite easily. BS not so much, not L4 type of BS anyway.
Hobgoblins will nuke Frigates and Destroyers very quickly, and take down Cruisers as well (but slower). Hammerheads will be far more effective against Cruisers - Battleships, though. :)
Obion wrote:And now I can do L2 sec missions for Fed Navy thanx to the L4 mission I took part in.
Awesome! Keep practising solo in these to get more experience with security missions. :)
Also; if you haven't already, try to get the Connections skill trained up to lvl 3 or 4, as it will really help with your standing and allow you access to L3 missions quicker. Regarding the mining missions for CCI; you can also check to see if there are any Distribution missions available nearby. These are quick and easy, and come with practically zero risk. You can even do several of them at the same time, provided you have enough cargo space to hold the cargo for them all. :)
Obion wrote:That Dominix is starting to feel very good by now. Already got Mastery 3 on it, but could use some more BS training and quite large sum of money. Probably need some other training too that I haven't figured out yet.
Actually, I would advice NOT to move up directly from a Cruiser to a Battleship. I was thinking about doing the same thing at the time, but now I'm really glad I decided against skipping over the Battlecruiser step. The knowledge (about missions/mechanics etc.) and experience you get from doing L3S missions in a BC is really invaluable to have when you finally do step into a BS.
Along with the EVE 'rules' of "Don't fly what you can't afford to lose" and "Never trust anyone" etc., most experienced pilots would also agree on: "Don't rush too quickly into the next step of ship". :D
Obion wrote:Range script adds 100% range bonus but removes 100% from tracking speed bonus. And tracking script do the same but reversed. So with one of each they negate each other.
Unscripted the Omnidirectional Tracking Link II adds 7.5% tracking range bonus and 15% tracking speed bonus. You get a penalty for equipping 2 but not as much as using two different scripts.
No, they don't negate each other. The scripts (for all modules who take them) will, simply put, turn a module that gives bonuses to TWO groups of attributes unscripted into giving bonuses to only ONE group - but at twice the effectiveness instead!
So, if you have two OTL2's and cross-script them (one of each script), then one module will give 30% tracking speed bonus, and the other module will give 15% optimal range bonus and 30% falloff bonus. :)

Addendum:
I had a look at that forum link Arwa posted, and I have gone through the math presented there. The math is sound and they're debating the finer points of at what exact value (percentage) you move from one option being better, to the other. A simple summary of the issue for those who don't want to bother with exact details is, I think, the last post in that thread, which I'll quote here:
Debir Achen wrote:Caveat: this is a discussion about theoretical limits. By default, you should cross-script paired mid slot boosters if you want both bonuses. The most common exception is if you have dual SeBos (or dual ReSeBos) and no other sensor bonuses.
The really, REALLY simple answer if you don't want to go into numbers AT ALL is just to do as someone else in the thread suggested: Just stick it into EFT and check both scripted and unscripted for your specific ship/fit and see which option gives the higher number (of the attribute you're interested in), as EFT seems to provide the same results as in-game. :D