Arwa's Misadventures in New Eden

The Dangers of Deep Space
Arwat
Guardsman
Guardsman

Arwa's Misadventures in New Eden

Post by Arwat » Tue Dec 03, 2013 5:57 am

While I was moving to Minmatar space, and had a lot of time to kill, I started to write a note, that I'm posting now.

Since I spend most of my time in Amarr space, away from the rest of the corp members, and, all sort of weird things happen to me, mostly because I'm reckless :D , but I have no one to tell them, I decided to share them on the forum, stories of the my misadventures in New Eden. a Arwatt Wahad 's Journal of sort.

I don't know how often I'll post, since it depends on any thing interesting happening or not.

Right now I'm at Hadaugo, one of the Minmantar tutorial systems. :D
While we were on the roam both Nost and Catti couldn't dock in Amarr stations and were pursuited by the Imperial Navy, upon entering Amarr space.
My worse standing is the Minmatar one, with -4.18, ie, on the brink of that same thing happening to me, wich might be problematic since the 5H1TE's headquarter station is a Minmatar one.
I read somewhere that it helps to do carrer missions to get standings back up. So here I am. If it does work, great, if not, i'll have to grind lvl 1 missions somewhere to get it back up. (wich reminds me, if anyone is doing missions for Minmatar or Gallente, I'll glady tag along)

Having said where I am now, I'll tell you about my latest adventure :P

Over the weekend I bought my first Battlecruiser. I went to try it out doing lvl 3 missions. I had tried them before on a Cruiser and,,, it didn't go well at all. But with a battlecruiser it should be fine. Wich it did.
"Nice", I thought to myself. "I can start doing level 3", so I delivered and requested a new one.
While blowing up rats (wich takes a lot longer then in level 2's, btw) I noticed someone warping in on the overview...
First I was "How the F#$% did this guy warped in here?"
I was still on shields, so I took the time to see who this guy was. Clicked the ship, a Sarum Magnate, fitted with combat probes for sure, checked his info, he was a little over a month old, "ok, good".
He didn't lock, just stood there, floating in space, I thought "He's a noob trying out the probes, I did it myself. let him be." He eventually warped off. "Yeah, that might of been it".
Finished my rats and went back for the salvager.When I returned the wrecks were empty. "WTF! :o " (well, in portuguese, but you get the point).
I looked for the guy in local, and there he was, flashing yellow!!! He just stole my loot "motherf#$%! :x " (also in portuguese :P).
Next mission, killing rats, guess who pops up on overview. The same guy! Not a suspect, but I knew what would happen next... (Is it bad that I was actually happy?)

"I'm going to get you... :twisted: "

Only had 2 ships on the system, a Noctis and a Harbinger and no time to get any other. Let's improvise then. Checked what was available on the system's market (while doing the mission). Not much, bought a warp scrambler. "I need to catch him somehow, I might get lucky, there's no way I can get in range", but I bookmarked a wreck. Finished killing the rats, aligned to station, and the race was on!!! :D

Dock, he's flashing in local, fit scram, undock, warp to wreck... he is at 30 km and he his in Coercer salvaging, 2 wrecks left!
Aproach, aproach, aproach, "Fly faster you piece of scrap".
20 Km, one wreck left, " I'll never get there on time! :evil: "
Locking, fingers crossed "I might one shot him!"
First volley, shields gone.
He's aligning, "why didn't he align first? :roll: Not important now! :evil: "
Second volley, 2/3 of the armor!
"please, please, let me get a third volley!!!!!"

I didn't :(

I know it's rather of an anticlimax, but I'm quite sure that his heart was coming out of his mouth by the time he managed to escape :D

Arc

Re: Arwa's Misadventures in New Eden

Post by Arc » Tue Dec 03, 2013 3:48 pm

Arwat wrote:Right now I'm at Hadaugo, one of the Minmantar tutorial systems. :D
While we were on the roam both Nost and Catti couldn't dock in Amarr stations and were pursuited by the Imperial Navy, upon entering Amarr space.
My worse standing is the Minmatar one, with -4.18, ie, on the brink of that same thing happening to me, wich might be problematic since the 5H1TE's headquarter station is a Minmatar one.
I read somewhere that it helps to do carrer missions to get standings back up. So here I am. If it does work, great, if not, i'll have to grind lvl 1 missions somewhere to get it back up. (wich reminds me, if anyone is doing missions for Minmatar or Gallente, I'll glady tag along)
That puts you 2 jumps from my home base (Vullat), and 2 jumps from my current missioning system (Lustrevik). :)
Actually, although Core Complexion Inc. (who owns the HQ station) is a Minmatar corp, the station itself is located in Gallente space, so it's your standing with Gallente Federation that matters in terms of if you're attacked or not in that region of space, and their navy (and sentry guns) doing the attacking. :P

Shame about the ninja looter though, they're bloody annoying. I've started to come across them as well now. :(
I was doing a L4 mission in Lustrevik and was slowboating some 50-70 km to the acceleration gate into the next pocket, when this guy enters in a Vexor - already flashing yellow - immediately starting to both salvage AND loot the wrecks right in front of me. I asked him in local to stop it, but no reaction. I locked his Vexor in my Raven but still no reaction. :(
I didn't shoot though, since I didn't want to actually open fire on him. I know from before that he's an older character with high SP and has several friends (also with high SP) in the same system, since they're often seen hanging around outside the station flashing yellow and trying to trick ppl into attacking them, only to gang up and gank the unsuspecting victims. It's fair to say I lost about 20 mill worth of loot and salvage in there, but I'd rather not have my Raven blown up by his buddies because I killed his Vexor for stealing my loot. I can't really afford to lose that ship currently, so I did nothing.
It's so bloody annoying!! I don't really know how to handle these damn griefers... :x

In any case; my suggestion if you want to get your standings up - and be as efficient as possible in the process - is to start doing missions for CCI. This will raise both your Minmatar and Gallente standings through the storyline missions you get every 16th similar mission, as well as raise your standings with CCI, giving you benefits from that at corp HQ. The only downside to missioning for CCI specifically is (as you already know) that they don't have any medical facilities, so you can't get a jump clone from them. But you already have a jump clone, so it's not much of an issue anyway. :P
If you'd like, I can show you very quiet systems to mission in, where you don't have to worry about gankers, ninja looters/salvagers or griefers (at least I haven't seen any yet) - such as for example the system I have my mining/manufacturing base in: Elgoi, only 4 jumps from Hadaugago. :D

I can also help you get enough agent standing to be able to access that agent on your own, if it is an agent working for CCI or Brutor Tribe (or any Minmatar agent of L3 or lower, come to think of it...).
Archturus (the 'h' is silent!!) -- Rune-keeper, 105; Tailor
Deorwen -- Warden, 88+; Jeweller (+ Cook)
Gilbrindal -- Captain, 100; Historian
Kitsunegari -- Huntress, 100; Weaponsmith
Safirlotus -- Minstrel, (65+); Scholar
Skullrend -- Guardian, (52+); Jeweller
Nareraumo -- LM, (40+); Yeoman

Dumnomii

Post by Dumnomii » Tue Dec 03, 2013 4:28 pm

Im not sure if stealing from sone one you are in a fleet with gives suspct status and kill rights to the whole fleet?

If you shoot someone in the fleet then the whole fleet get kill rights back, or that used to be the case, which is where Arc was right to be careful killing the looter when he was so blatant, if you go for it align first blast them and warp out and find a safe spot.

The fleet the looter belonged to should not get permement kill rights but how long the agggression counters last for in those cases I am not sure.

For the ninja looter scenario Arwa was having, if the suspect status applies to the fleet you are in, have someone else follow you into the mission in a stealth bomber and sit wait and wait for the guy, KABOOM problem solved. The SB warps to safe and can just cloak out the timer.

Obvioulsy doesnt work if the fleet does not get the option to kill the looter without concord getting involved.

Could always test it out on sissy, as I never followed all these high sec complications to well at the best of times :) and I wouldnt want to get anyone concorded.

PS before you delete all the mission bookmarks from salvaging them, check them out on the map, sometimes they give you some great safe spots that are out of line of any celestial.

Dumnomii - Chimp 100, Kiraail - Hunter 7x, Skidald - Grd 5x, Angmia - LM 4x
Skaven - RK 2x, Merrywin - Mini 8x, Kenne - Ward 3x, Xavin - Cpt 4x. Zaphyri - Burg 1x

Arwat
Guardsman
Guardsman

Post by Arwat » Tue Dec 03, 2013 4:52 pm

I don't know how crime watch applies to fleets either, but the Coercer was flown by the same fellow :P

Arc, if it was a high SP character, I would just stay put. Although reckless, I'm not intirely stupid!

I'll take up on your offer, and just tell you something in-game.

Arc

Post by Arc » Tue Dec 03, 2013 5:52 pm

Dumnomii wrote:Im not sure if stealing from sone one you are in a fleet with gives suspct status and kill rights to the whole fleet?
Stealing from something that does not belong to you in any way (yellow cans/wrecks) gives you Suspect status. That's a global flag, meaning anyone and everyone can legally shoot (and kill) you without CONCORD getting involved. That's how I've understood "Crimewatch 2.0", anyway.
Dumnomii wrote:If you shoot someone in the fleet then the whole fleet get kill rights back, or that used to be the case, which is where Arc was right to be careful killing the looter when he was so blatant, if you go for it align first blast them and warp out and find a safe spot.
I don't know if that's how it works now. But I think that - in their 2.0 revamp of the system - they changed it to be far easier/simpler to keep track of, and only use global flagging. Apart from the 'limited engagement' (cyan?) flag you get between specific entities engaged in e.g. a duel, or when a Suspect/Criminal is shot at so that they have a legal right to defend themselves against their aggressor(s) but not rightfully shoot at anyone else.
Dumnomii wrote:For the ninja looter scenario Arwa was having, if the suspect status applies to the fleet you are in, have someone else follow you into the mission in a stealth bomber and sit wait and wait for the guy, KABOOM problem solved. The SB warps to safe and can just cloak out the timer.
Not really relevant, but just fyi I'm training Caldari Frigate 5 right now. After that there would "only" be Electronics Upgrades 4+5, Cloaking 4 (for the covops cloak), and Covert Ops 1. Then I can fly a Manticore!! :D
Dumnomii wrote:Could always test it out on sissy, as I never followed all these high sec complications to well at the best of times :) and I wouldnt want to get anyone concorded.
I'd be up for that, if others are? Can't really do it alone. ;)
Dumnomii wrote:PS before you delete all the mission bookmarks from salvaging them, check them out on the map, sometimes they give you some great safe spots that are out of line of any celestial.
Yes, indeed. I have a folder, "Mission Locations", in which I bookmark and keep ALL pockets from all missions I do. Suffice it to say, I have a rather extensive library in certain systems - some of those bookmarks are real "deep safes"; i.e. more than 15 AU from any celestials or other warpable objects! :mrgreen:

Dumnomii

Post by Dumnomii » Tue Dec 03, 2013 11:47 pm

Cheers Arc it does seem they have simplified it a lot over the original system, I pretty much understood that Crimewatch 2 :) before it was a spaghetti heap of rumours and misinformation.

Skaven - RK 2x, Merrywin - Mini 8x, Kenne - Ward 3x, Xavin - Cpt 4x. Zaphyri - Burg 1x

Arwat
Guardsman
Guardsman

Post by Arwat » Sun Dec 08, 2013 5:34 am

Another story of Arwatt's reckless misadventures. A quite sad though, but I'm the one to blame since I was careless, and just plain stupid.

After scanning a wormhole with Arc, I decided to jump in a Venture and try to mine.
I decided to change into my no implant clone, and entered the wormhole. The loss wouldn't be much so it's was worth giving it a try.
I did mine, but that's not important.
First mistake, I forgot to bookmark the exit WH. Luckly, Arc had entered first to take a look and bookmarked it, and I had a way to return to Parch.

It should had served as warning, but I was feeling particularly reckless, so after a talk with Arc, I went back in on a Magnate, fitted with a Prototype Cloack and exploration gear, hoping to find another wormhole into null-sec, for my first experience in dread space.

First signature I scaned null-sec. Carefully, I bookmarked the exit back to Parch, a safe-spot, the WH to null-sec. I didn't want the make the same mistake again.

Null-sec! The last frontier!

"What do I do? OK, warp to sun and cloack! WAIT, STOP STOP!" :o
:( I didn't bookmark the wormhole.

"NP, I have probes. There it is... oh, wait, I can't get 100% location on it. Oh, crap I'm screwed!" :shock:

There was no way out. I had to travel through jump gates. Either way, as Nost always says "I consider my ship already lost", let's do some exploration then.

Found three Relic Sites and a Data Site. 15 million worth in the cargo hold. If only I could get into Hi-sec, it would be a profitable experience.

"Last system, one gate to Hi-sec. If there is a gate camp it must be here" :)

"There's no other way! Don't go straight from gate to gate!" :|

Warp to sun, select gate, click jump.

Somehow, I couldn't jump. Some of the more experienced players might explain how or why, I was just stuck there, inches from the gates, smelling the fresh air... sorry, vacuum on the other side.

It goes without saying, never had a chance.

Transfered to the clone

"Oh, well! I knew this would happen! It was fun. I might try it again one day!" ;)

"Eheheh, let me check the kill mail" :twisted:

http://eve-kill.net/?a=kill_detail&kll_id=20820956

Roughly my estimate.

"Eheheh, let me check the pod kill mail" :twisted:

http://eve-kill.net/?a=kill_detail&kll_id=20820955

"WTF, NO, NO, NO, PLEASE BE WRONG, PLEASE BE WRONG!" :shock: :cry:

I could swear I jumped to the other clone. I didn't. :oops:

Fell free to laugh at my expense, I would too. :lol:

Lesson learned: Always, but always, triple check if I jumped to the right clone!

So I leave you with my last words to Arc (wich earned their spot in my Bio, and now are my motto)

"I do not regreat the things I've done, but those I did not do"
Empire Records

(couldn't find a emote for irony)

I'll see you on the other side of tomorrow!

Arc

Post by Arc » Sun Dec 08, 2013 4:20 pm

Sorry about your losses, Arwa. :(

I find it interesting though that, on that website, the ID for the pod kill comes BEFORE the ship kill! :P

Anyway, here are a few tips that might be helpful for the future:

1. Whenever you jump through a wormhole always bookmark the exit back, as the first thing you do before anything else! (You've just jumped through, so you're automatically cloaked for a while - no rush to do something else first!). :)
Yes, I know you of course already know this, but it's a good tip to keep in mind in general: whenever you jump through a gate/portal/wormhole, take a bit of time to look around and think about what to do next before you take any actions! Is everything clear on the other side? Have you just jumped into a camp? What are your options? Your chances? What will you do next? Which direction? Stay calm and focused, and think before you make a choice.
This applies to ALL regions of space. =)

2. While it is a good idea to not warp directly gate-to-gate (particularly in low/null/WH space, since you have no idea what you'll be heading into), always make sure to warp to a RANDOM celestial first (within 100 km, preferably) - and AVOID the star completely; if someone is hunting for you, that's probably the first place they'll look! Pick a random planet, moon, customs office or whatever that is located within 14 AU of the gate you want to pass through, then warp to 70-100 km on it and cloak up the moment you arrive (if you can and you're not cloaked already, that is). Align to the gate you're interested in, line up your camera to be centred on its icon (selecting the gate and pressing 'C' helps :P), and then check the Directional Scanner lowering the angle to 5°. If you've done all this properly, you should see the gate and any (non-cloaked) ships sitting there - and nothing else! If you see ships on the scanner, then it's probably a camp and you'll have to weigh your chances of being able to warp to the gate and jump through before getting killed or not; if you see no ships at all, then you can probably (hopefully?) make it through in one piece. :D

I really have no idea why you weren't able to jump through the gate though! :o
Warp bubbles will prevent you from warping away - and interrupt your warp at its edge if you were warping into it - but to my knowledge neither a warp bubble, scrambler, stasis web or anything else will prevent you from jumping through a gate (assuming you're within jump range of it, that is). Very strange... :?
Unless, of course, you engaged an offensive module (weapon/EWAR etc.)? In which case you would have the Weapon Timer active, and unable to jump or dock during that time.

Maybe someone else knows some other possibility?

Dumnomii

Post by Dumnomii » Sun Dec 08, 2013 10:01 pm

Nope, only reason I can think of you could not jump (assuming by inches you where within 2.5km of the gate and hadnt bounced off, it is possible to warp to zero, collide and zoom out of jump range) would be if you have an aggression timer

Which sounds unlikely but a warp bubble would be placed to stop you reaching the gate AND often will be hit if you warp to the sun first, as coming in from the sun will normally mean looking from the destination gate other gates and celestials will be in line and thus prime bubble placement.

You want to warp to a planet or asteroid belt (watch out for rats, or ratters if others in local) that is to one side off the target gate and ideally as arc says within Onbaord scanner range of the target gate. Ie use planets unless your being activley chased when belts increase the odds of loosing the pursuit.

Low sec / null sec warping to a moon is generally bad bad idea, especially in a bigger ship as there may well be a POS there which WILL aggress you. And any decently set up POS will have warp scramblers on it.

But then you got podded as well? That suggests a bubble? As you didnt die to a smart bomb, and locking a pod before you can warp of is hard unless there was a SeBo fitted high scan resolution ship there. In a Pod warping to a moon or belt is good as rats/towers never (well in the old days) targetted pods. And any one trying to follow you may get aggressed by them, even alliance towers sometimes shoot non corp members!

I know you have learnt the lesson about BM the worm holes, but also BM the exploration sites, and drop a BM on route when doing long jumps between gates on the way out, they may be crap but if you need them or go back to the same systems at least you have safeish spots already set up.

PS I think you have a superb attitude in EVE, we have ALL made stupid mistakes :) maybe more than one :? but the key thing, is learning from them, and most importantly having the balls to try, the thing that stops most people from achieveing things in EVE is not trying.

Arwat
Guardsman
Guardsman

Post by Arwat » Mon Dec 09, 2013 12:36 am

Thanks for the advice, Arc. In theory I know what I should have done, but I was even more distracted then usual, I lost count of how many times I left my drones in the asteroid belt, as you know :D. Looking back I should have checked the star map to choose a celestial to warp from, as far from the direct route as possible.

I didn't had much time, before getting killed, so I might not be as close to gate as I hoped. I did noticed a Mobile Warp Disruptor in the overview, so it must of been what disrupted my warp travel, and like Dumnomii said, when I was in the pod I was clicking "warp to" like a mad man, and still didn't went anywhere. Plus all the space around me was filled with static, wich makes me believe I walked in a bubble. So I never had a chance!

Dumn, thanks for the compliment, although I'm sad for such a huge loss, because of a distraction, if we can't laugh of our own mistakes in a game, where's the fun in playing? :)
I'm sure we all know how exciting it is doing a thing for the first time, not really sure what will happen next! That's the most exhilarating part of any game and because of Eve's human component that feeling is almost constant.

BTW, I think I know what happened with the jump clone. I went to a station with no clone, clicked jump, and the warning to pause the training queue poped up, somehow I didn't noticed and I didn't actually jumped. I was considering upgrading my implants and now I have a perfect oportunity :P