The Almighty
The Almighty
Loading…

Marcus Rushe's Journal

Post by Balthelion » Tue Jun 25, 2013 10:14 am

Because even in the EVE Universe, Bal still slacks off from work. :mrgreen:

-

The Incident

Anyway, had my first "incident" in my home system last night. And a near miss on a second. Basically, I was mining in my usual asteroid field, which has proven to be incredibly safe over the past weeks - Although once I had noted Concord's presence in the belt, so obviously something must have happened at one point. Anyway, one guy turned up, and after squinting my eyes at him a bit, I decided he was acting strange, especially when he began salvaging my wrecks with impunity, so i started powerering up the jump drives (I'm never ready for emergency jumps in high sec, at least in this belt given its proven relative safety).

At that exact moment, another guy warps in right on top of me, disrupts the jump, and by that point I'm pretty much screwed, since my 4 combat drones can't mount much of a fight. I end up finally loosing my faithful Retriever that has done me an incredible service since I moved to the Attyn system. Luckily, my Pod escaped (I don't think he cared about the pod kill, so he has some honour at least), and I returned to base, screaming "I'll get you next time!" like a proper cartoon villain, and giving that guy Orange status ("Bad" reputation with me), and the other guy white status ("neutral", or in my terms "Shady" reputation with me) since I suspected he was an accomplice/spy, even though he was in a completely different corp.

So (foolishly perhaps?) I decided to grab hold of my space penis (pun intended), and go hunt that guy down at my wreck...only he wasn't interested in looting it, and wasn't there. I assumed that maybe concord had blown up his Catalyst (Gallente Destroyer), and lets be honest, it's cheap enough for a suicide gank. So I managed to loot my own wreck and salvage everything, and I then proceeded to lay in wait, only he never returned.

I eventually tracked him down to a station, and then waited outside to try and ambush him. He came out, I started to lock him, and he shat himself and bugged out. Which, as I said to Nost, was probably a good thing. He'd probably beat me in a fight (although I have immunity with the police to shoot him, but they'd shoot him back). My bark is worse than my bite at this point, so this was about as good a point as I could put across to him. If it came down to a fight, he probably would have blown up the space penis too, and laughed at my pitiful attempts at revenge.

Anyway, later I cautiously headed back to my asteroid belt, this time in my Procurer which is designed for hit & run mining, and is what I use for when I go into lowsec. And I was treating these runs like lowsec mining runs, so I was always aligned and at speed. Anyway, Mr Shifty then appears, and I immediately bug out just to be safe. I then return to my asteroid belt at my designated safe entry point, which i warp into, then do a 150km mini warp to my asteroid of choice. From here, I realigned and sped up, and observed Mr Shifty's actions. There was another barge in the belt at this time, and he was flying a cruiser, so I wanted to see if he was going to be aggressive or get his (alleged) friend to blow it up. He was lurking around not really moving, so I figured something was up.

He eventually jumped out, so I warped into the asteroids to begin mining, taking care to realign and reach max speed. Shortly after, the bastard who kills me is warping in, so I immediately bug out before he exits warp. Only to discover that he didn't warp into the asteroids. He warped into my safe entry point. Which confirmed that the other guy was scouting for him, as he must have bookmarked my location and then shared it to him. There was no other explanation. Anyway, Mr Bastard was flying a Vagabond (T2 Minmatar Stabber Cuiser), so he was obviously meaning business, and looking to pull one back on me for my earlier insolence.

A New Home

I figured at this point that mining locally was going to be dangerous, So I decided that It would be best to pursue other activities for the evening. Since the Attyn system was always considered to be a temporary base of operations after returning from Caldari space, I decided to scout out a possible site for a more permanent location.

I'd already had the Heorah system in mind for this purpose for a while, but had yet to scout it, so off I went. It's a system in Amarr space near the Gallente border. Statistics have shown the local neighbourhood to be relatively quiet in terms of ship kills, which is a good start. On top of that, this was a 0.5 high sec system. So, great for mining. It also had SIX more 0.5 systems just 1 or 2 jumps away, which was even better for mining (If I get any "incidents" in any particular system, I can easily switch to another). Theres also some nearby lowsec systems too (More importantly: isolated single system pockets of lowsec, making it significantly less likely to contain REALLY BAD criminals). Plus, since this area is Amarr space, it means I can once again mine Pyroxes and Kernite (although I loose immediate access to Omber). What was even better is that there was not one, but TWO stations which every facility imaginable. One was a little busy factory-wise, but the other had plenty of free manufacturing slots, which is great for me as a miner-manufacturer player. It also had 4 free slots for corporation offices so I could give that system a try too.

So, to sum up: I'm almost entirely based out of the Heorah system now. Still need to pick up the remainder of my supplies/ships from Attyn, as well as a couple of loose items around the central regions of the map, but I think I'll fully relocate here. Not sure how many jumps away it is to Gallente space (and thus Omber) though. Hopefully not too far, so that it will still be viable to fly to mine over there for some Omber to get Isogen (Odds are I can probably still get it in Amarr lowsec if I'm bold).

At least this time I don't need to buy a new mining barge to get going again. I had built myself 3 Retrievers and a Procurer already before the incident, and honestly probably expected to have lost it sooner given my track record in EVE so far.

Phoenix Independent Traders
My corp has Phoenix in the name - besides sounding cool - because its a reference to the fact I'll get blown up a lot and rise from the ashes :P

Once I'm home tonight I'll be back on the manufacturing bandwagon, Since I won't be limited by 2 day queues anymore, and can queue things up for immediate starts. I should arrive home to two Brutix class ships (Gallente Battlecruisers) and about 20,000 units of ammo, which I should be able to sell for a very nice profit.

I've been mining, looting, salvaging, doing missions and what not for personal wealth, but I donated 10 million ISK to my corporation as a starup fee, and I'm running my corp like an actual company of sorts. I'm using my gathered materials to craft items, and then selling these on the market for a profit. Ships obviously are expensive to make, but have the best profit margins. Especially since I've found loads of good deals for blueprints via contracts (and i mean loads, i probably have anywhere between 100-200 blueprints, and thats not even counting how many runs each blueprint can produce). Many of these are copied from well-researched blueprints, which have reduced the material costs significantly. Honestly, some of these bigger ship blueprints have laughably low material requirements. But once made still sell for a lot of money :mrgreen:

Currently, my only corp expenditure is that it pays the fees to list an item on the market (Broker Fees) and the tax when it eventually sells (Sales Tax). But it gains the full value of that sale, rather than going into my personal wallet. I haven't quite reached the point where I'm using corp finances to buy corp assets yet, though that will inevitably come with time. Whether that comes down to buying minerals to manufacture with and sell the produce, or buying something cheap, then transporting it elsewhere and selling it high remains to be seen.

My corporation is essentially just the financial branch of my endeavours in the game at the moment, and dabbles in a bit of everything like I do. Mainly: Mining, Manufacturing, Trading, Transporting. Keeping corp finances separate from personal finances means that I can easily track my money making ventures, and see how well I do. And yeah, down the line If I get good enough at it, I'll be able to afford to buy Plex every month instead of subscribing for real money. WIN!
GW2: Taikken ~ Vasuuki ~ Artuura
EVE: Marcus Rushe
SW:TOR: Tannik ~ Celandra ~ Korrun
League | Steam | Minecraft: LeoxStryker

Balthelion
The Almighty
The Almighty
Loading…

Re: Marcus Rushe's Journal

Post by Balthelion » Thu Jun 27, 2013 4:08 pm

So far so good in the Heorah system. I'm using one of the neighbouring systems for mining, I believe it's Ebanez or something like that. This system has some meaty asteroid belts that are great for mining.

I'm been making more corporation profits, although none of the really big money ships have sold - YET. I'm hoping that at least one of the 4 i've listed will be sold tonight. Still, even if they don't my corporation has around 16 Million ISK in the bank - That's 60% profit on my startup money! The big ships will retail for about 45 million profit each, which will obviously put profits through the roof.

Spent pretty much all of yesterday flying around buying contracts, collecting them, and flying them to home base.

Got a lot of ships building at the moment. I have massive runs of Cormorants (Caldari Destroyers), Ventures (Mining Frigates) and Merlins (Caldari Frigates) on the go right now. Starting to run out of Mexallon and Pyerite, so I probabbly ought to get a lot more mining done over the weekend.

Balthelion
The Almighty
The Almighty
Loading…

Post by Balthelion » Thu Jul 04, 2013 5:13 pm

Exploration

Well I decided to take a break from mining the other day, and instead fitted my Cormorant out for exploration (7 railguns, 1 Probe Launcher, a microwarp drive, plus data and relic analysers). I also aptly renamed it Voyager, so that in the event I became trapped 70,000 light years from home on the far side of the galaxy, I had an appropriately named ship.

I found a wormhole to nullsec, and then found a data site, so I started messing around with that. Took me a while to get the hang of the hacking minigame. But in the end I was able to loot 7 caches of data, and got an absolute load of loot, which apparently is worth quite a bit of money. I’ll definitely have to go exploring more often!

Unfortunately the next time I was able to find a nullsec data site through a wormhole, it was filled with very angry drones. Luckily I managed to make it away with nothing left but 20% structural integrity (no shields or armour).

I’ve also concluded that ordinary combat drone sites aren’t worth the hassle, after the amount of time (and attempts) it took to clear one out, not to mention the loss of a cormorant in the process, and all I got were salvagings. I think there may have been other things that should have been lootable, but these seem to have already been emptied since they were in a public site.

Skills

I’m still kinda torn in several directions when it comes to which skills to prioritise for training.

On one hand, I want to max out my training in Mining Barges and Minmatar Industrial ships, to ensure maximum efficiency when using my barges and Mammoth transport. Currently Mining Barge IV is underway, and due to complete in the early hours of Thursday morning. I think this just leaves me with rank 5 on both.

The second field of training relates to being able to fly bigger and better ships that I’m interested in. Specifically the Mackinaw (Tier 2 mining barge), Orca (Mining Capital Ship), and Fenrir (Minmatar Freighter). These each require a large amount of training – I think the fastest is 18 days of straight training. Training other ship skills (eg, Caldari Destroyers) is also nice, although not as important to me as unlocking those three ships above.

The third field of training relates to improving useful skills for my playstyle. Specifically, those related to mining, manufacturing, research and refining. I think pretty much all of these currently stand at 20h or 4 day projects currently.

The fourth field of training relates to skills which themselves are not particularly desired (even though some do have nice benefits), but which more importantly are prerequisites for other skills. Specifically I’m thinking of things like Science 5, Mechanics 5 etc – pretty much all of the level 5 early game skills. My main reason for wanting these at the moment is that they are from preventing me from trying out Invention, which with all the shinies I’ve recently collected, would be very nice for inventing upgraded ships.

Not to mention that in addition to these four main areas of study, there are plenty of other skills I may be interested in training for a number of reasons – such as they are a prerequisite for a book I have in the hangar, or are the last skill I need to complete a certificate or unlock another certificate. Annoyingly, most of these seem to be 7 hours or more, which is too much time to take away from training the important skills outlined above. I’m usually only willing to insert these sorts of skills if they are under 90mins or so to train.

Balthelion
The Almighty
The Almighty
Loading…

Post by Balthelion » Wed Jul 10, 2013 11:01 am

Implants

Well I recently decided to buy myself a full suite of implants to boost my attributes, the main purpose of which was to increase the speed at which I can train new skills. I plumped for the +3 attibute implants, costing around 10 million each.

They have definitely been a worthwhile investment, as they have cut down on my training times considerably. My time to train for Mackinaw use for example went down from 36 days to 30 days! Smaller projects are not quite as dramatic, though still result in some substantial changes. Skills that were taking around 4d20h to train are now reduced to a little over 4 days.

I’m definitely pleased with the results! Will have to make sure I don’t get pod killed however, although that should not be an issue. And even if I did, well, I’d just have to pay out another 50 million to buy some replacements. They are just too good not to use. I recommend everyone gets at least the +1 attribute implants in each slot. They should be pretty cheap to pick up, and they are worth it in the long run.

Exploration
I’ve been doing plenty of more exploration since that epic run last week where I collected an obscenely good haul of items from Wormhole space. Of course, since then I’ve discovered that plenty of these sites can be occupied by hostile NPCs. In wormhole space, where they are scaled to the local sec status of -1.0, they are not to be messed with. In ordinary high-sec systems they aren’t a problem, although the rewards do seems noticeably crappier.

I’ve also discovered not to mess with the things in wormhole space known as “sleepers”. There might only have been three of them guarding a particular relic site, but *ONE* of them alone managed to one shot me so hard, that I was podded before the damage could register.

Still, I’ve managed to obtain a couple nice bits and pieces, though still nothing compares to that epic haul from a single data site in wormhole space last week.

Not sure whether to give up exploring inside the wormholes. I have to rely on any site I find being undefended, and still having loot, which is rare and therefore means I often spenda lot of time for no reward. Although if I found asteroids, that could be a tempting mining run

The Corp
I’ve finally exhausted my personal cash again, So I’m currently living or dying by my corporation’s profits. These so far have totalled over 400 million, although actual balance is around the 360 million mark due to some purchases.

Skill Training
Science 5 will have finished overnight, and I’ve got an extra lab slot currently training (taking me to 5 slots) which should finish this evening. The first four slots are currently filled with long term research projects (10-20 days, and they’ve been underway for many days/weeks already)

The next big skill project for me will be mechanics 5, after which I should be able to get underway with invention, and seeing what crazy stuff I can come up with using that system. I sure have a lot of BPCs and research items in my production hangar :D.

There are quite a few other skills I’m keen to get done too. Drones 5 would be nice, even though its another 4d+ project, because so many drone skills are gated behind it, and just getting that done unlocks so many other drone skills that I can immediately benefit from just by training them to level 1. I’ve also discovered that there is in fact another skill that increases the amount of drones you can use. Can’t remember the name exactly, it’s probably something like “Advanced Drone Control”. What I do remember is that Drones 5 is required to get “Skill A”, which provides some sort of buff to the drones (damage?). When Skill A is at level 5, you can then get “Skill B” which is the one that (like “Drones”) allows 1 additional drone per level. So it should be possible to have at least 10 drones on the average ship, it they have the capacity and bandwidth to do so (Carriers are the exception to the rule)

Improving my refinement skills for each type of ore as well as refinery efficiency would also be nice, although I suspect that the gains from these projects would be minimal unless refining at a crap station for refining.

Additional research slots would also be quite high on my priority list (on the grounds that research takes forever: best to have 5 30d projects on the go at once, than to queue them up one after the other), as would manufacturing slots. Although I have 4 manufacturing slots atm, and without buying ores, it’s tricky to keep those all pumping out ship production – recently I’ve been whacking multiple day ammo manufacturing projects in there, on the grounds that they are cheap and make sure the slots get used. I’ll be the proud owner of a quarter of a million Scourge Rockets in about a day or two :P

Other than that, it’s just a case of adding the odd skill here and there to boost my weapon, support or piloting skills as required. Completing certificates is nice but doesn’t really satisfy anything except OCD, so I’m trying to avoid doing that unless they are meaningful certificates, or very quick to complete (got a load that are stuck behind 1 last 7-hour skill that I have no real need to train at the current time).

Aedfrith

Post by Aedfrith » Wed Jul 10, 2013 8:15 pm

Balthelion wrote:Implants
Well I recently decided to buy myself a full suite of implants to boost my attributes
Well I'd better start calling you Pamela Anderson then.
Aedfrith - Yarrr! | Aldnoth - Respect mah authoritah!| Hrolfdan - Buurrp! | Rumbold - BAPPLE! | Morriarty - Yak-a-boo! | Hraldan - DORF! | Aldfryd - KYAI PAN TUO KYAI! | Aednoth - BOOM! | Rumbelina - :3 | Mishhar - Grroar!

Dumnomii

Post by Dumnomii » Wed Jul 10, 2013 10:16 pm

Aedfrith wrote:
Well I recently decided to buy myself a full suite of implants to boost my attributes
:lol: :lol: :P

Dumnomii - Chimp 100, Kiraail - Hunter 7x, Skidald - Grd 5x, Angmia - LM 4x
Skaven - RK 2x, Merrywin - Mini 8x, Kenne - Ward 3x, Xavin - Cpt 4x. Zaphyri - Burg 1x

Dumnomii

Post by Dumnomii » Wed Jul 10, 2013 10:24 pm

On a serous note, every 16 missions of a set level you will get a "Storyline" mission some of them can be quite long but sometimes they are easy courier ones. They give Faction standing bonuses and huge standing increase with the storyline corp, there is also a reasonable chance of these rewarding implants, not to mention mission running gives you LPs which can be traded in for implants.

Also research agent daily missions count towards the "storyline" counters as well, so even if your not a combat character you can accumalate lvl 4 mission counts on the VERY easy reseach missions and with a bit of luck grab +4 implant with out firing a shot.

Once you have a gap in the training schedule, gettng research skill and starting resarch agents is well worth it, if you dont do the research missiosn you accumalate Research Points automatically every day anyway, EVEN if your account is inactive.

Need to check the stockmarkets for the best place to sell some as I worked out i have just shy of 10,000 data cores I can trade in for currently :)

Dumnomii - Chimp 100, Kiraail - Hunter 7x, Skidald - Grd 5x, Angmia - LM 4x
Skaven - RK 2x, Merrywin - Mini 8x, Kenne - Ward 3x, Xavin - Cpt 4x. Zaphyri - Burg 1x

Balthelion
The Almighty
The Almighty
Loading…

Post by Balthelion » Thu Jul 11, 2013 9:22 am

Aedfrith wrote:
You've got me by the balls (boobs?) there. :lol:

---

As for Research Agents, it's on my agenda but iirc gates behind the same (if not more skills) than invention, so I'm not quite at that point yet.

Balthelion
The Almighty
The Almighty
Loading…

Post by Balthelion » Mon Jul 15, 2013 5:20 pm

Skill Training
Well science 5 is completed, and Mechanics 5 also will be late tonight as well. After that there’s a couple of invention skills I just need to train to level 1 which won’t take long, and then I can finally start playing around with the invention system :D.

Not sure what to train next though. There’s a lot of mid-length projects I need to do (4h to 1d/2d), some of which are gating progression in other areas. I may however just stick on Drones 5, since that is also gating a large amount of stuff. Not to mention that being able to use that 5th drone, plus make my drones even more powerful with other new skills would certainly be useful. As a side note, I’ve found out that carriers can only control 20 drones (+ up to five more with 5 drone control units) which is a bit of a bummer. I was hoping for some serious drone fleets given that they have massive bandwidth for drones. Still, 25 is quite respectable.

As far as the super-ships are concerned, I’m almost certainly going to be going for the Orca first. Nost and OmNom may well be getting one before me, but in terms of price and all-round utility for hauling (not to mention two weeks of training time instead of four), its preferable to get that ahead of the Mackinaw or Fenrir, which are both sat around the 30 day mark. It also means we can shift around who gets to be the orca pilot whenever we do a mining session.

I could also do with upping some ship skills. My Stabber is doing a decent enough job of combat in most combat sites. So far there was only one site it couldn’t do (sue to the sheer firepower pointed at me), and it can struggle to hit fast frigates, So I’ll need to work on some weapon/defense skills before Nost mocks my lack of support skills :P. My Cormorant destroyer also does quite well in combat sites, but tends to get into trouble when met with large numbers of enemies, since it’s harder to dodge all the incoming fire no matter what you’re orbiting. It doesn’t help that the cormorant in this case is outfitted for exploration (so the med slots are basicall just a burner plus data & relic analysers). Still need to use one of my many spare hulls to make a proper combat destroyer.

Mining
I’ve discovered that the single station in my mining system actually has the same very good refining efficiency as the station I was previously using in my home system (Which was a different station to my actual base, because the refining there is shit :P). So this works out nicely, since that station is normally my emergency jump point anyway. I’m now using that as my refining base, then getting the Blockade Runner to ferry materials back to home base in the neighbouring system as appropriate.

I’m still being lazy and using my Strip I’s for some semi-AFK mining. Strip II Mods are great, but a bloody hassle when you need to keep a crystal for every type of ore in your cargo bay, and then one of each again for every additional strip miner on your ship. Because if you mine with the wrong crystal, or no crystal, your yield is awful.

Got two implants recently to help with mining too – one to increase mining yield, and another to decrease refining wastage. Even though I normally have very little wastage (often 0 for most things except tritanium)

I’ve also discovered that Cosmic Signatures (exploration sites you don’t need to probe for) are not to be ignored, having recently discovered an ore site in my home system offering Omber (not normally found in Amarr space) and Jaspet (not normally found in high sec at all).

I also found some epic mining sites in a wormhole, including my first discovery of Gneiss. However, it turns out you can’t take a covetor through a wormhole (Does that mean it’s impossible to take ANY big ships into wormhole space EVER?), so I didn’t actually get the opportunity to mine it. I’d have to outfit a venture for wormhole mining, whci although I have plenty of those hulls in my hangar, will take a while to do properly.

The Corp
Still turning a fair bit of profit, although a lack of resources has seen me not build any of the larger ships recently. Instead I’ve been pumping out the smaller ships (Frigates, Destroyers & Ventures) and other small stuff (Drones, Ammo, Ship Equipment). Unfortunately, this has the side effect of keeping my Pyerite and Nocxium supplies very low, and I’m currently stuck in a rut.

Did quite a lot of mining over the weekend as well, but it obviously hasn’t made much of a dent in these issues. Maybe I’ve just have to resist the urge to have all 4 manufacturing slots in use as often as possible, and save up the materials to build a big ship to sell for a large profit. Particularly if I can do a battleship to sell for 200-250 mill.

Balthelion
The Almighty
The Almighty
Loading…

Post by Balthelion » Wed Jul 17, 2013 5:14 pm

Invention
OK, well I finally finished Mechanics 5 on top of Science 5, so after training 2 of the research skills, I was able to queue up my first invention project. I’m currently researching the Gallente Thorax-class cruiser, in the hopes of invention the Deimos class Heavy Interdictor Cruiser. The odds are looking good, so we’ll just have to see.

I’ve also picked up the 3 ship data interfaces I was missing for the non-Gallente factions. So I should be able to research all normal ships now.

4 of my 5 R&D production lines are currently occupied by ML/PE boosting jobs atm. I believe two of these are due to finish in the next couple of days. The current plan is to use these slots mostly for invention from now on (probably with a side order of copying).

Skills
Drones 5 is due to finish on/by Saturday. After that, I’ve decided to do Minmatar industrial 4 and the skill that will allow me to fit medium cargohold optimisation II’s, both of which are about 2 day projects. These will both increase my hauling capacities significantly, which will prove particularly useful for my travels to and from the new fleet base and my home location (12 jumps), as well as any hauling based endeavors from the fleet base (Such as hauling from the orca back to base so the orca can remain to buff the miners.

As mentioned in-game, if the fleet stuff works out, I’ll be aiming towards getting a Freighter relatively quick (currently 30d training), and ignoring the training for Exhumers and Orcas until a later date. And ofc I can then offer my services with that to you guys.