Let's Play FTL: Faster Than Light

All the latest news & releases from the RangersOfEriador YouTube channel!
Hal
RIVEN!!!
RIVEN!!!

Re: Let's Play FTL - With Balthelion (YouTube Series)

Post by Hal » Tue Jan 22, 2013 8:46 pm

Grim wrote:Also normal is really hard.
Normal starts on a higher difficulty curve than easy, making the first few sectors harder, but towards the end of the game, it ends up tapering closer to what easy is, but still slightly more challenging

Balthelion
The Almighty
The Almighty
Loading…

Post by Balthelion » Tue Jan 22, 2013 8:56 pm

Grim wrote:Also normal is really hard.
And Easy is really Normal 8-)
GW2: Taikken ~ Vasuuki ~ Artuura
EVE: Marcus Rushe
SW:TOR: Tannik ~ Celandra ~ Korrun
League | Steam | Minecraft: LeoxStryker

Balthelion
The Almighty
The Almighty
Loading…

Post by Balthelion » Wed Jan 23, 2013 6:04 am

YES! Finally killed that motherfucker!

Utterly raped it's ass in fact.

Red Tail
Burst Laser 2
Hull Laser 1
Basic Laser (Inactive in boss fight)
Hermes Missile
2 x Anti-ship Drones

Basically did the usual weapon disabling tactic throughout, though using the Hermes missile (3 damage per shot) instead of Fire bombs. Seemed a lot more efficient.

The Anti-ship drones effectively negated 2 of his shields for the fight, and caused havok if they fired when shields were off (random targeting FTW, the crew didnt know what to repair)

Concentrated my two double-shot lasers on the shield generator to take that offline, and do damage to it.

Phase 1 ended pretty fast. Not really much more to say :P

Phase 2, shifted laser focus onto the drone control room. Didn't stop the super special attack, but stopped the terminators boarding my ship and causing hull breaches in the process. Cloaking to avoid the drone surge when possible. The boss also for once jumped AWAY from the base after this phase, so i was able to go away and repair before the rematch. It should be noted that the ordinary rebel ships couldn't do anything to me while travelling around in sector (took out their weapons, then sat back and watched them burn).

Phase 3 was totally new to me :P. Luckily i'd murdered either all, or all but 1 (cant remember) of the main ships crew in the drone room during phase 2 (a guy was left manning the ion cannon compartment). Focused fire on the missile launcher then the shields, and cloaked as much as possible during the super special attacks.

Bottom line: Drones are awesome, i told you so!

Also: 5am seems to be the only hour people can beat this game.

Grim
Captain General
Captain General

Post by Grim » Wed Jan 23, 2013 4:19 pm

Congrats bal, just hal left struggling then? :p

Also I've found the best augmentation in the universe - weapon pre-igniter. Means all your weapons are charged at the start of combat so you can attack immediately, completely destroying their ability to hurt you at all if you play it right
Grimhelmd - 75 Guardian
Turrion - 75 Captain
Tergon - 75 Loremaster
Terrann - 20 Warden
Grimthryd - 20 Champion
Grimharl - 9 Minstrel
Grimfoil - 1 Burglar

Balthelion
The Almighty
The Almighty
Loading…

Post by Balthelion » Wed Jan 23, 2013 4:50 pm

It's not bad (particularly if you are achievement hunting), but there are plenty of better ones.

Also, depending on your starting ship, weapons loadout, and enemy, the power of manual firing your weapons should not be underestimated. Can cause some devastating alpha strikes like this, instead of your lasers firing randomly as soon as they charge, letting the enemy recover some shields.

Hal
RIVEN!!!
RIVEN!!!

Post by Hal » Wed Jan 23, 2013 6:42 pm

Grim wrote:Congrats bal, just hal left struggling then? :p

Also I've found the best augmentation in the universe - weapon pre-igniter. Means all your weapons are charged at the start of combat so you can attack immediately, completely destroying their ability to hurt you at all if you play it right
Haven't done it yet :/. Meh me and bal discovered the borderline OPness of this within the first day or so :P. It really just depends on what your weapon load consists of. Its great if you can use the opening salvo to destroy weapons and shields, but meh otherwise, and is a one trick pony that doesn't help you any further after that opening salvo (admittedly that might be all you need to cripple the enemy and turn a fight into a faceroll)
Balthelion wrote:Also, depending on your starting ship, weapons loadout, and enemy, the power of manual firing your weapons should not be underestimated. Can cause some devastating alpha strikes like this, instead of your lasers firing randomly as soon as they charge, letting the enemy recover some shields.
Nope, it doesn't depend on anything. Manual firing is better than Autofire. Always, dispite the fact it requires more effort cause you have to denote each shot. I always use manual fire, and as you're just discovering it allows you do things you couldn't do with autofire, such as go through 3 and 4 shields with relative ease thanks to syncing your shots

Balthelion
The Almighty
The Almighty
Loading…

Post by Balthelion » Wed Jan 23, 2013 6:50 pm

Well obviously at face value manual is always better than auto. And I've always known that :P

Waht i was getting at was that some ships (eg Red tail) manage auto just fine, while others practically HAVE to be manual fired since their weak or poorly matched charge times mean that they are ineffective if left purely to auto fire. Which is critical for 3-4 shield enemies such as the boss.

Balthelion
The Almighty
The Almighty
Loading…

Post by Balthelion » Wed Jan 23, 2013 7:45 pm

The Kestrel (Mission 1, Episode 3)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M7dA_aCb ... 0P&index=3
Watch in 1080p!

Hal
RIVEN!!!
RIVEN!!!

Post by Hal » Wed Jan 23, 2013 8:11 pm

That last fight was just so noob :P, and this is why you take out the enemy weapons first. Oh and why you also upgrade shields, engines and reactors :P

Hal
RIVEN!!!
RIVEN!!!

Post by Hal » Wed Jan 23, 2013 10:50 pm

THREE OUT OF THREE BABY! Also dispelling the rumour that it can only be defeated at 5 AM :P