Let's Play FTL: Faster Than Light

All the latest news & releases from the RangersOfEriador YouTube channel!
Balthelion
The Almighty
The Almighty
Loading…

Let's Play FTL: Faster Than Light

Post by Balthelion » Mon Jan 21, 2013 7:02 pm

So I've started a Let's Play for FTL now. Since each playthrough of this should be no more than 5 episodes maximum at a time, it's easy to do these every so often as an extra bit of "Let's Play" action, or as a break from one of the bigger playthroughs.

So heres the first of three episodes for the first playthrough. I'm hoping to have Episodes 2 & 3 launch at 6pm GMT tomorrow (Tuesday) and Wednesday.

The Kestrel - Mission 1, Episode 1
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_XlOMyk6 ... 0P&index=1
Watch in 1080p!
GW2: Taikken ~ Vasuuki ~ Artuura
EVE: Marcus Rushe
SW:TOR: Tannik ~ Celandra ~ Korrun
League | Steam | Minecraft: LeoxStryker

Grim
Captain General
Captain General

Re: Let's Play FTL - With Balthelion (YouTube Series)

Post by Grim » Tue Jan 22, 2013 1:36 am

Your admiral ackbar impression needs work :p

But I have actually bought this now and it is really good fun. Got to the final boss earlier but ran out of missiles halfway through and got blown to pieces! Tomorrow I will defeat the rebel scum though!
Grimhelmd - 75 Guardian
Turrion - 75 Captain
Tergon - 75 Loremaster
Terrann - 20 Warden
Grimthryd - 20 Champion
Grimharl - 9 Minstrel
Grimfoil - 1 Burglar

Balthelion
The Almighty
The Almighty
Loading…

Post by Balthelion » Tue Jan 22, 2013 2:18 am

Me and Hal both havent defeated the boss yet (if you didn't know, you fight it multiple times and each one gets harder :P)

But yeah, plenty more bad accents to come in the remaining two episodes :P

Hal
RIVEN!!!
RIVEN!!!

Post by Hal » Tue Jan 22, 2013 2:18 am

Grim wrote:Your admiral ackbar impression needs work :p

But I have actually bought this now and it is really good fun. Got to the final boss earlier but ran out of missiles halfway through and got blown to pieces! Tomorrow I will defeat the rebel scum though!
Me and Bal keep having the same problem. My tactics let us kinda breeze through phase 1 of the boss, but then phase 2 rapes us hard. We haven't got to phase 3 yet, but the Flagship has a super weapon by then, to owe your battered ship even harder :P

Balthelion
The Almighty
The Almighty
Loading…

Post by Balthelion » Tue Jan 22, 2013 2:21 am

Well on my first attempt at the boss i held my own on phase 2, he just slowly wore me down in a war of attrition. maxed Cloak + stealth weapons helps MASSIVELY in phase 2.

Second time i just had no missiles, and only shit lasers since nobody would sell me any :P

Hal
RIVEN!!!
RIVEN!!!

Post by Hal » Tue Jan 22, 2013 2:32 am

You'll have to come on TS when we're all playing it sometime grim, makes for a good chat, and laugh when crap goes down for someone else

Grim
Captain General
Captain General

Post by Grim » Tue Jan 22, 2013 2:40 am

Yeah will do, just got to the second phase of the boss. DEAR GOD WHAT JUST HAPPENED TO MY SHIP!? Suddenly there were about 10 drones destroying me, and people boarding left right and centre next time I think Im just going to recruit a mantis army and board the fucker
Grimhelmd - 75 Guardian
Turrion - 75 Captain
Tergon - 75 Loremaster
Terrann - 20 Warden
Grimthryd - 20 Champion
Grimharl - 9 Minstrel
Grimfoil - 1 Burglar

Balthelion
The Almighty
The Almighty
Loading…

Post by Balthelion » Tue Jan 22, 2013 2:47 am

LAST STAND IN MEDBAY!!!

Hal
RIVEN!!!
RIVEN!!!

Post by Hal » Tue Jan 22, 2013 2:54 am

Boarding is one of the better options for dealing with the Flagship. The 4 weapons are set in isolated compartments, with one crewman in each, so if you kill him and destroy the weapon there, it cannot be repaired. My easy way of dealing with phase 1 consists of doing just that. Start by taking out the Triple Legos missiles (the 3rd weapon, immediately to the right of the bridge), follow by the 2nd weapon directly to the left of the bridge, effectively nullifying their damage in phase 1 (since ion cannon doesn't do hull damage, and the laser beam won't penetrate more than 2 shields). Best 2 ways of achieving this are through boarding each weapon area, or though the use of fire bombs or hull breaching missiles (more likely to kill the crewman and disable the system). I'd also suggest trying to kill as many of the enemy crew as possible during Phase 1 (cause they don't respawn, unlike the weapons repairing between each phase), but always leave at least 1 enemy crewman alive

Phase 2 is really a bit of a head scratcher. You want to take out the triple legos missiles again, and the laser cannons, but at the same time trying to focus their droid controls seems to be the way forward (but it goes from taking 1 damage to disable it in phase 1, to taking 8 damage to disable it in phase 2, and they have defense drones to shoot down your missiles), so boarding is a decent way through that, especially if they have limited crew to confront you. You can't board effectively in phase 3 though

Grim
Captain General
Captain General

Post by Grim » Tue Jan 22, 2013 5:05 am

VICTORYYYY!!!!

Juuuust managed to get through it all with 2 bits of hull strength left! Used the engi cruiser as start, turns out the ion cannon is really awesome. Recharges really fast and if you set it to autofire on the shields then it can leave them without shields for 90% of the time. Was using halberd laser to do max damage when the shields were down and fire bombs to deal with the crew. Also a mark II defence drone and an anti ship drone. Got both drones in the sky straight away, and set the ion cannon on the shields, dropped fire bombs into the weapon compartments and swept the halberd laser across multiple weapon compartments at a time to speed things up. Did the same phase 2 but focused the halberd laser on the drone control center to make sure I didnt die. Phase 3, just moved the laser to the teleporter and he was done pretty quick!
Grimhelmd - 75 Guardian
Turrion - 75 Captain
Tergon - 75 Loremaster
Terrann - 20 Warden
Grimthryd - 20 Champion
Grimharl - 9 Minstrel
Grimfoil - 1 Burglar