YouTube Channel Discussion

All the latest news & releases from the RangersOfEriador YouTube channel!
Baz
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Re: YouTube Channel Discussion

Post by Baz » Sat Jan 04, 2014 12:27 am

or a giraffe

Balthelion
The Almighty
The Almighty
Loading…

Post by Balthelion » Wed Jan 08, 2014 11:46 am

Well I've finally got around to recapping most of the videos released that so far went undocumented on the forums. (All bar the Silent Threat campaign episodes of Freespace, of which one final video remains to be released today).

Unfortunately my current Headset broke, or at the very least, ceased to operate as expected. For some reason, any voice heard through the headphones is extremely quiet. This includes people on TS, NPCs in games, game dialogue etc, but - bizarrely - NOT my own voice, even if it's recorded. Huh? This makes no sense. And it was definitely that particular headset, as I tried it in another jack to no avail, and another headset played this sound back fine. So yeah, weird. And a pity, since that headset was rather comfortable, even if I have battered it a lot (Which probably doesn't have an insignificant impact on why its now broken)

Anyway, I got a new (expensive) headset. Think it was around £50-55. I have justified this purchase with that fact that my earnings from YouTube to-date are a little over £50. The plan was always that I'd reinvest that first paycheck into getting a sweet headset to improve the quality of the channel anyway. So *THEORETICALLY* the headset was free :P. I need to bump those earnings to £60 though in order to earn a payout. Shouldn't take long.

I'm hoping to do things bigger and better this year, and I'm hoping to up the quality of my videos and the channel across the board. So feel free to provide critique or suggest things you think I can do better. Here's a few things I'm making a conscious effort to do as examples:
  • Artwork - Make better quality artwork to use for background images, thumbnails etc. While my hands were bound in some cases (Freespace), in many others I could have done better. Some of the Thumbnail pictures aren't the easiest to read for example. I wan't things to have a more professional quality to them to attract more audience.
  • Commentary - In some cases I can be quite light on the Commentary. Walking Dead is a prime example, although in that particular case its more because It feels rude to talk during all the cinematics and stuff (Its like people talking in the cinema). I also inadvertently "Umm..." and "Err..." a lot.

LOTRO
I'll be back to recording more of this fairly soon, once my shiny new headset arrives (Which should be tonight). I'm going to do some recording of the Yule Festival with Avella (Conveniently levelling her closer to 20ish in the process), and then later I will pick up with her questing in the North Downs at Trestlebridge, where she will pick up where Trystana left off. Still undecided whether Trystana is benched or not. Depends if I can start liking the new Warden changes. I am intrigued though at the possibility of levelling two characters for the series at once. Not only would it let me weave in class info for 2 classes instead of 1 along the way, I can (for example) quest with Avella in the North Downs while Trystana covers the Lone Lands. Basically, have them taking different questing paths on the road to Moria, in order to thoroughly showcase all areas of the game. Rather than having one character pointlessly double up on questing that they aren't earning XP for anyway (due to XP disabler). I can then jump back and forth between characters as appropriate.

Freespace: The Great War
The 34th and final episode of this series will air today (Wednesday), thus concluding this series. It's been a long ride, since I recorded all this content back in April/May, but I'm glad to finally put this one to rest and move on to some new stuff. I know it's not been one of my most popular series (And hey, its recorded in the games native 640x480 resolution from the stone age of Windows 95, so the quality isn't great I'll be honest), so It'll be good to no longer have to focus this series and instead get back to a variety of more popular picks to further develop the audience for the channel.

I will however be playing the sequel later this year. That can at least be recorded in full HD goodness, and with some sexy visual updates both courtesy of the modding community. I recorded the pilot episode a while ago, and the game looks great.

Minecraft - Super Hostile: Inferno Mines with Halathor
Mine and Halathor's co-op "effort" is now fully underway, and the second episode in our ongoing adventures was released yesterday. It's quite funny to watch, so check it out.

The Walking Dead: Season 2
Should hopefully make it's debut appearance later this week. I have 5 videos worth of content to work with until the developers release episode 2 of the game to enable me to record more. I've now designed/organised the various assets for this series (Background images, Thumbnails, outro music etc), so all that remains is to edit the videos. I'm currently in the process of blocking out the session into individual episodes. I think the total runtime was around 1 hour 40 minutes, which has equated to 5 episodes worth of content.

Half-life 2
Again, Hopefully this series will debut towards the end of the week, but I haven't even started pulling any of the assets together yet so don't be surprised if I let this slide :P.

The 300 Subs vid
The daily surge of new subs has plateaued lately, probably due both to the holiday period and people getting bored of a heavy focus on Freespace (I know its not one of my most popular series, but I needed to rush it to a conclusion to move on to new games). I'm about 10 subs short at the moment, so hopefully I'll still hit it soon so I can get this video out the door. It's rather amusing xD. It's been edited and just needs to be uploaded now, so I can at least say for a certainty that this milestone won't be missed :P.

Kerbal Space Program
The saga of my pitiful career efforts needs a new chapter, and hopefully I will get around to recording one soon.
GW2: Taikken ~ Vasuuki ~ Artuura
EVE: Marcus Rushe
SW:TOR: Tannik ~ Celandra ~ Korrun
League | Steam | Minecraft: LeoxStryker

nostborn
Disturber of the Peace
Disturber of the Peace

Post by nostborn » Fri Jan 10, 2014 1:13 am

If you want a game that will certainly freak you out try Amnesia - The Dark Descent. Very creepy when playing though not sure how well it would watch if you weren't playing it.

Coincidently it is currently on offer on Steam with Dark Descent and A machine for Pigs for a Tenner
EvE - Nostborn Amatin / Steam - Nostborn / Raptr - Nostborn

https://zkillboard.com/character/93160905/

Niliak
Man-At-Arms
Man-At-Arms

Post by Niliak » Fri Jan 10, 2014 1:36 am

nostborn wrote:If you want a game that will certainly freak you out try Amnesia - The Dark Descent. Very creepy when playing though not sure how well it would watch if you weren't playing it.

Coincidently it is currently on offer on Steam with Dark Descent and A machine for Pigs for a Tenner

Or Slender lol :lol:

Balthelion
The Almighty
The Almighty
Loading…

Post by Balthelion » Fri Jan 10, 2014 1:58 am

I swear you guys are trying to scar me for life :P

Balthelion
The Almighty
The Almighty
Loading…

Post by Balthelion » Wed Jan 15, 2014 7:45 pm

LOTRO
Recording is back underway for the flagship series. A 4-part arc providing coverage of the Yule festival is underway, with the first three parts already released, and the final part out tomorrow hopefully.

After that burst of back-to-back releases, LOTRO will be on a short break again until Avella can be levelled up to Lv20 to continue the questing in the next episode (Shouldn't take too long, she's already Lv12).

There are 3 videos remaining for the first episode of the game. There's a good chance all 3 could appear this week. Probably 2 at the least, although these all need to be edited first. I'm not sure when the second episode is due for release. I'd guess towards the end of the month.

Minecraft Super Hostile with Halathor
Plenty of recorded footage for this in the bank. Episode 4 is due out later today, and that's likely to be the last episode for this series this week.

Half Life 2
Is still in the Pending pile. Possibly a debut next week, once the limited supply of The Walking Dead runs out, and this can take that place in the roster.

Kerbal Space Program
I'll do my best to get another episode (or even several) of this recorded ASAP with a view towards releasing next week.

300 Subs Special
I'm currently sat at 298 Subscribers. With a little luck I'll hit the quota this week, so expect to see this comedy of errors appearing at some point soon. It'll be released IN ADDITION TO (rather than instead of) the regular video-of-the-day. It'll certainly make you guys laugh. :mrgreen:

Balthelion
The Almighty
The Almighty
Loading…

Post by Balthelion » Thu Jan 16, 2014 7:01 pm

Dumnomii

Post by Dumnomii » Thu Jan 16, 2014 11:48 pm

I subbed with the Mrs last night just to put you out of your 300 sub misery! Errr I think the bomb was a pace maker :)

Dumnomii - Chimp 100, Kiraail - Hunter 7x, Skidald - Grd 5x, Angmia - LM 4x
Skaven - RK 2x, Merrywin - Mini 8x, Kenne - Ward 3x, Xavin - Cpt 4x. Zaphyri - Burg 1x

Balthelion
The Almighty
The Almighty
Loading…

Post by Balthelion » Thu Jan 23, 2014 11:24 am

I've been lagging when it comes to editing and uploading video recently (I blame last week's return of League of Legends E-sports broadcasting). Hoping to pull it back soon though.

LOTRO
The 4th and final video covering the Yule Festival went live this week, which brings me up to date with what I've recorded for LOTRO so far. You'll probably see me doing some casual levelling on Avella over the course of this week as I get her to Lv20 in preparation for questing in the North Downs, hopefully getting underway this weekend.

The 5th and final episode for part 1 of the game is now out. Now it's a waiting game until Part 2 is released (I'm guessing end of the month) before I can record/release more for this series.

Half Life 2
With all current episodes of the Walking Dead aired, and no more LOTRO until I level up Avella, now is a good time to get this underway. But I'll need to get editing if this is to debut later this week.

Kerbal Space Program
Still no concrete confirmation on when the next episode will be out (It still needs to be recorded first), but "Soon".

I'll likely be bulk editing a load of these this week, so expect to see several more of these appear later this week, and then for these to appear as the bulk of daily videos for the near future. Episode #5, which is the last video from the first of 20-odd recording sessions so far will be out later today. There's definitely a few clips for the highlight reel in this episode! :D

Indie Games
Still undecided whether to do a single series/playlist covering all games, or just to do them individually like I've done for all other games so far and just have much short series/playlist length. Probably tempted by option 2 right now. I'm currently in the planning phase for these.

Balthelion
The Almighty
The Almighty
Loading…

Post by Balthelion » Tue Jan 28, 2014 1:26 pm

Quite a few missed days last week but hopefully I'm now back on track.

News
In rather awesome news, I've received my first paycheck from Youtube! Hooray! That's £61.70 in the bank for me! Hopefully this will just be the first of many, and as the channel grows, these should come quicker in future (I have to reach £60 to get a payout).

In other news, Steam has announced the imminent release of Resident Evil 4: Ultimate HD Edition on PC at the end of February. Can't really comment on if the conversion is any good, or if it's really worthy of the HD tag, but expect this to get a Let's Play at some point in the near future. I absolutely loved this game on the Wii.

LOTRO
Still need to bump Avella to Lv20 before I can continue this series. I've made a start (Lv14 atm), but It'll still be a while before I can record more LOTRO. I need to get the series rolling again ASAP, so expect to see me in LOTRO during the week. In any event, no new LOTRO this week.

I believe episode 2 of the game is released later this week, so I'll get on to recording that ASAP and then start uploading them.

I've started editing the second recording session we did, which contains 4 episodes worth of content. The second of this batch of 4 (Episode 7) will debut later today. This covers me for at least 4 days worth of releases this week, meaning hopefully there will be no missed days.

Kerbal Space Program
Still need to record this. :mrgreen:

Half Life 2
Due to release lag, this will probably be further delayed until after the second arc of videos from The Walking Dead now.