YouTube Channel Discussion

All the latest news & releases from the RangersOfEriador YouTube channel!
Balthelion
The Almighty
The Almighty
Loading…

Re: YouTube Channel Discussion

Post by Balthelion » Wed Nov 13, 2013 10:44 am

Well It turned out last night was the End of Beta event for Helm's Deep. And despite no prior warning turbines stance was, to paraphrase:

"server will be down after the event, or when we break it".

This wasn't technically true, since we crashed the server after 5 minutes and they rebooted. But I'm pretty sure the beta is now offline.

Anyway, that ruined my plans of researching and recording the captain guide this evening, and I didn't feel like doing a rushed job. So alas, I've only got two class guides sorted. I can technically do the others after launch, although it's not quite the same.

I did however record my participation in the beta event, so I will be uploading that. And HOLY SHIT was it crazy.

The Battle of Bree:
Many many raid bosses, instance bosses, warbands, balrogs, nurzum, Normans, siege weapons from helm's deep and so forth. Highest *known* enemy level was 120, but pretty sure a couple were around 150 judging by their health and damage.

Quite a few mobs (Saruman, Nurzum) were just immune to damage. The various Durin's Bane's were problematic since they could AOE "Face your Fears" everyone on one side of Bree for 20-50k, depending on how above level they were.

And the first Norman kill of the evening (5 minutes into the event) killed the server too.

---

In other news: I do have pre-recorded footage for a second landscape video, this time for the Eastfold region, which is really pretty.
GW2: Taikken ~ Vasuuki ~ Artuura
EVE: Marcus Rushe
SW:TOR: Tannik ~ Celandra ~ Korrun
League | Steam | Minecraft: LeoxStryker

Balthelion
The Almighty
The Almighty
Loading…

Post by Balthelion » Thu Nov 14, 2013 11:23 am

OK, well the season finale of the Walking Dead playthrough is out today. It's great stuff, watch it.

Episode #15 of Freespace will be out tomorrow, since that the only other things I currently have on YouTube ready to go.

Not sure what will make it for Saturday and Sunday. I'm tempted to say a LOTRO and a Kerbal.

Will also spend tonight doing some more editing of my remaining Beta videos. If all goes to plan, the Eastfold landscape video will be out tomorrow (Fri), and the "Battle of Bree" videos will air Sat-Mon. Not sure how much footage I got, but I'm guesstimating it's 4 episodes worth, in which case Sat-Sun-Mon-Mon releases are likely.

Balthelion
The Almighty
The Almighty
Loading…

Post by Balthelion » Fri Nov 22, 2013 1:51 pm

Well it's been a bit of a quiet week on the YouTube front.

Obviously, last week I was rushing out the last few Helm's Deep videos I had pre-recorded in Beta. I Had Monday & Tuesday off-work (The Tuesday being primarily for the purpose of actually PLAYING Helm's Deep, which was eventually delayed). So the time off work, plus playing Helm's Deep once it finally came out has been delaying my video releases so far.

Holy crap though, is my channel popular atm. The Helm's Deep videos seem to have gone somewhat viral since launch of the expansion. I got about 12 new subscribers yesterday alone! As a reult, I'm now well past 200 Subscribers, plus 40,000 page views. I was planning on doing a video to celebrate that milestone, but don't have any ideas. Suggestions? At this rate, it'll probably be more like a 250 Subs & 50k page views milestone by the time its released!

Anyway, let's have the obligatory recap of where each series currently is.

LOTRO: Let's Play
Still haven't recorded any more of this series. Because I've still got a lot left pre-recorded anyway. At this point, I'm thinking that I'll be pacing what is left of the pre-recorded stuff to see me through to the end of the year. I can then start the episodes released in 2014 in the "Helm's Deep Era".

What's more: There is the strong possibility that Trystana might get replaced with Avella (Burg 3.0) as the main character going forward. Unless I really start feeling the love for the warden class again.

Anyway, after a fairly long break since the previous episode, a new LOTRO episode is out today, with 3 more currently half-edited.

LOTRO: Helm's Deep
If I thought my Helm's Deep videos were highly successful before launch (which they were), I'm blown away by the sheer traffic they have received since launch. It's been phenomenal. And I think the Burglar and Hunter class videos in particular have been responsible for dozens of new subscribers to my channel, which continue to grow daily.

So although It's a bit of a pain in the ass to do more Helm's Deep videos (particularly class videos), I will continue to do so as a way of thanking those people for their support (As well as continuing my plans for global domination). Hopefully, I can get 2 class videos recorded over the weekend (Cappy and LM most likely).

The Walking Dead
This series is very close to conclusion, and will conclude in the next week or so.

Having previously concluded the main storyline, I've released the first of 3 episodes covering the DLC chapter. The remaining two episodes will air soon, and that will conclude the Walking Dead series until Season 2 is released, which is due in 2014.

Kerbal Space Program
I have two episodes pre-recorded atm (Although the first of these needs a little cleanup since it ended in a crash). I hope to have these out the door soon.

Minecraft
I'm planning to do some binge recording on this soon, so that I can cover the remaining good stuff in the mod, then I will be wrapping up this series, hopefully by the end of the year. This series will start airing again once the last bit of The Walking Dead has aired.

Lego LOTR
I think I'm just going to give up on getting 100% on this. There is a secret level according to Hal. I'm probably just going to get that done so I can call a wrap on this series, otherwise it'll never end.[/SIZE]

Freespace
The main storyline is nearing it's conclusion. There's still the expansion to come after that though, and I may struggle to get all of these released before Christmas. We'll see.

I poked my nose in the sequel the other day to check out the mod enhancements. Damn they make the 1998 sequel sexy.

Half-Life 2 & Minecraft Super Hostile With Halathor
Both of these will now definately be debuting in 2014. Unless Perhaps I use the new minecraft for video releases over christmas (probably unlikely).

Balthelion
The Almighty
The Almighty
Loading…

Post by Balthelion » Wed Nov 27, 2013 1:18 pm

I'm gradually getting there with the releases. Missed a day or two here and there recently though.

LOTRO - Let's Play
After a brief period without any, these are now firmly back into rotation. I'm still sticking with the plan to not record any new (ie Helm's Deep era) footage for this until the new year though. This may result in a several week hiatus over the Christmas period.

LOTRO - Helm's Deep
One way or another, I'm going to get a new class video recorded this weekend. Captain most likely. Since I'm also pretty well versed in Big Battles now, I'll likely also get around to recording footage for some Instance video covering Tips, Tricks & Tactics for the Battles and each of their sidequests too.

The Walking Dead
Just one more episode to go of this to wrap up Season 1. Season 2 has been on pre-order for a while now on steam, but has only recently gone from "Coming Soon" to "December 2013". I'll be picking that up pretty quick assuming it doesn't get pushed back to 2014, and either way, I expect I will be starting to record season 2 of that early in the new year (bearing in mind that the way these episodic games work is that each episode is released individually about 1 month apart).

The 33rd and final episode of this should be out later this week.

Freespace: The Great War
I've unfortunately slacked off on releasing some of this lately, so I've fallen behind on the schedule for this. Still a few more episode to go from the main campaign, but it looks like I will not be concluding it before the end of November as planned. I'll be looking at concluding the main campaign ASAP, then getting straight into the expansion campaign, with a goal to wrap this series before Christmas.

Kerbal Space Program
Will get the next episode of this out by the end of the week.

Minecraft
Will look to start recording more of this soon, with a view to wrap up the series or at least finish recording by the end of the year.

Lego LOTR
Planning to discover and record the binus episode, plus perhaps a little bit extra, and will then wrap this series. I don't have the endurance to pursue 100% completion.

Minecraft Super Hostile With Halathor
We still haven't made it to area 3 yet. We must be close, but we've gotten a little bit lost. I'm currently cowering in an emergency hole I built in a wall to take shelter from mobs.

Half Life 2
Recorded a bit more of this, but I'm still inside Nova Prospekt. About to have fun with one of the Turret Defense battles.

Milestone Video
It was supposed to be a 200 Subs & 40,000 views milestone celebration, but both of those figures has rocketed so much recently that it's going to have to be a 250 Subs & 50,000 views milestone. And to be honest, if I don't move quick I'll be well past that too!

I honestly have no idea what to do for it though, so if anyone has any ideas, I'm open to suggestions. At this point it's most likely to be a league of legends video done "in character" (ie, with a stupid voice). Orc Bowling in LOTRO (Knocking orcs off the falls of Rauros with a war-steed) is the only other thing I can think of, but I did LOTRO on the last milestone. And it's been a while since my last League video, so that could work out nicely. Plus silly league videos are great.

Coming the rest of this week (Wed>Sun)
  • Wed - LOTRO
  • Thu - Walking Dead
  • Fri/Sat/Sun - TBC. Probably 1 Kerbal and 2 Freespace. Failing that I have some more LOTRO ready to release.

Balthelion
The Almighty
The Almighty
Loading…

Post by Balthelion » Mon Dec 02, 2013 6:17 pm

OK, well I'm limping along with my YouTube releases, once again just about getting one episode out per day, with a couple of missed days. The channel has now surpassed 250 Subs, and I need to record a milestone video to celebrate that. Still no idea what though.

LOTRO - Let's Play
Got a few more of these out last week, and still have a collection to release by the end of the year. Expect these to roll out in the three weeks running up to Christmas. The plan remains to roll out all the pre-recorded stuff so that I can start recording new "Helm's Deep Era" videos in 2014.

LOTRO - Helm's Deep
Still haven't gotten around to doing the remaining class videos, but I have a 3-day weekend this weekend, so I plan to get at least 1, preferably 2, recorded if not quite edited/released.

Additional landscape videos would be relatively simply to do as well. I can happily cover Kingstead, and am close to finishing Broadacres, so I can cover those pretty well now.

Another plan is some Big Battles video covering not only what happens in them, how to work the siege weapons etc, but also tips and tricks for completing each side objective. Obviously with the various bugs, that would limit me to just covering Helm's Dike Solo/Duo and Fellowship atm, as that is the only one with no game-breaking bugs (Although it's still impossible to hit platinum on one or two objectives even when done perfectly).

The Walking Dead
Has now been concluded after a 33 episode run. If you haven't watched this series or played this game for yourself yet, DO IT. It's Awesome. The series will be continued in 2014 once the Season 2 game is released.

Kerbal Space Program
I finally got around to editing the two episodes I had pre-recorded. One of these was released yesterday (Sunday), the second is out today (Monday). The first one ended in a crash, so while editing I had to trim some footage off the end, which is why it ends a little abruptly, and has a rather small runtime of just 10 minutes.

Odds are strong that this double bill will be the last of Kerbal for 2013, as I need to focus on releasing episode for series that can be wrapped up in the limited days left this month, but expect a bit more regularity with episodes in the new year.

My next editing session will be spent churning out a load of episodes for this series, so don't be surprised if nearly all videos in the immediate future turn out to be for this series. IIRC, there are two more missions left in the main campaign (Which translates to a much higher number in terms of YouTube episodes - You'll see why :D).

Lego LOTR
Will hopefully get around to recording a video for the secret level this weekend, and then be in a position to wrap up this series next week.

Minecraft
Still no more work on this series yet. Won't have time for recording it this weekend, but I might be able to sit down the weekend after for one big session to round out that series, as apart from Helm's Deep videos, I don't need to record anything else for the year at that point.

Minecraft Super Hostile With Halathor / Half Life 2
Still haven't recorded any more of these, but I already have a very healthy buffer of pre-recorded footage for both of these new series set to debut in January.

The Plans for 2014
If all goes to plan, then Freespace, Minecraft & Lego LOTR will all conclude by the end of the year. This leaves me with no active main series, and only the following recurring series: LOTRO & Kerbal.

Going into 2014, I'll be kicking off with two new main series: Minecraft Super Hostile With Hal, and Half-Life 2. LOTRO & Kerbal will continue as usual, with the odd League of Legends or other videos slipping into the schedule as appropriate.

Plans for what games to do in 2014 beyond those are still undecided at the moment. I recently picked up Surgeon Simulator, which could be hilariously disastrous with me playing it, based on the trailer footage. A Scary-type game will also be on the cards too. At the moment, it looks likely to be F.E.A.R. but I'm open to suggestions. A Playthrough of the 3rd game in the Deus Ex Trilogy is also planned for early in the year, as is the sequel to Freespace, though that likely won't likely debut until late spring or the summer since I'm still airing the first game and want a break between them.

Beyond that: I have no idea! A Balance between "new" games, and older retro/classic games would be good. I'm determined to get a gamepad and try to get some console games running on PC next year too, as there are so many awesome classic console games I'd love to do, and there are less "Let's Play" series for console games due to the difficult nature of trying to record it.

Balthelion
The Almighty
The Almighty
Loading…

Post by Balthelion » Fri Dec 13, 2013 1:55 pm

I've been slacking off on the YouTube from this past week or so. Dropped the ball on several occasions.

LOTRO
Still got a fair few of these to release before the end of the year. The next one was due out today, although an issue with the upload getting interupted means that it should be out tomorrow instead. There is also a second episode rendered that needs to be uploaded, and that should appear by the end of the week too.

I'm getting there now with this series. The 2-parter released on Mon & Tue was the penultimate recording of the main campaign. The final recording will probably make another 2 or 3 episodes to make this final epic mission a 4 or 5 parter! :O

After that, It's going to be a mad rush to try and edit/release the videos from the expansion before the new year.

Everything Else
Nothing else ready to go atm, so there is likely to be a heavy LOTRO/Freespace focus in the run up to Christmas.

Balthelion
The Almighty
The Almighty
Loading…

Post by Balthelion » Fri Jan 03, 2014 12:47 pm

Ok, time for the first update of the new year then :P

Although I could give an overview of my plans for the channel over the next year, I'm hoping to have a video to do the same instead, which I can then also use as a channel trailer too.

So instead, I'll just do the usual update, along with some condensed notes on the future.

LOTRO
All of the pre-HD videos have now been released, and I'm now at the point where I need to record more videos. I'll be kickstarting things with Yule Festival coverage ASAP, giving the first glimpse of the third and final Hobbit burglar sister Avella in action. After that, Avella will be setting off to Trestlebridge in the North Downs to take over from Trystana as the primary Let's Play character. That's not to say we won't be seeing Trystana anymore - They might level in tandem up to Moria, covering different areas. But I'm really not a fan of the warden changes, so only time will tell.

Episode #31 is out today (Friday), leaving 3 more episodes to conclude the series (34 episodes in total). I'll be glad to conclude that at long last, it feels like its dragged on forever (The episodes were recorded in April-May 2013).

Minecraft Super Hostile #12 With Halathor
Will be making it's debut this coming week. Possibly as early as tomorrow (Saturday). The first session was 2 hours long, meaning I'll be able to make 6 episodes out of it. And I already know how episode 1 will end :lol: . Let's just say it'll be highly entertaining. :mrgreen:

300 Subs Video - Surgeon Simulator 2013
I missed the 200 subs milestone, and decided I'd go for a 250 subs milestone instead. True to form, I then missed the 250 subs milestone, and am now approaching the 300 subs milestone.

Luckily this time I've finally found something to do for laughs - Surgeon Simulator 2013. This is a rather amusing game that is bloody hard, leading to more amusement and disaster. Expect this to show up once I hit the big 300, probably over the next week.

Half Life 2
The second of the two new games to kick off the new year may or may not debut over the coming week, depending how things go. If not this coming week then certainly the week after. This series was recorded as individual episodes, so should be really easy to edit together whenever I need to quickly put together a video at short notice to release.

The Walking Dead: Season 2
Although it's not long since I finished airing Season 1 (even through the episodes were recorded in August/September), I'm going to be diving straight into Season 2. The (presumably) 5 episodes of the game will be released by the developers at 4-6 week intervals, so I'll be playing through the story as it comes out, and getting the 6 or so videos for each episode out shortly after they are released. Episode 1 is already out, and I'll be releasing those over the coming weeks, possibly at a more leisurely pace than before in order so minimise the gap between airing the last video and waiting for the release of Episode 2.

Coming This Year
This list is by no means everything that might appear, and just because something is here is not a guarantee that it will happen. It's just the current plan at the time of writing.
  • Freespace 2 (Summer/Autumn)
  • Deus Ex: Human Revolution (Winter/Spring, because I want to get started on it soon. Likely will be a follow-up to Half Life 2)
  • Mass Effect Trilogy (Game 1, others to follow at a later date, not necessarily this year)
  • Bioshock, FEAR, Dead Space or another scary game - Because certain people think its hilarious when I shit myself.
  • Indie Games - An Indie series which will cover lots of smaller games, devoting maybe up to 6 episodes per game covering them and giving a review.
  • Tomb Raider (The new reboot. Because its cinematic and supposed to be really good).
  • Dust: An Elysian Tail (I know nothing about it but it looks awesome and I picked it up in the steam Christmas Sale)
  • Rangers Multiplayer Action - It would be good to get more rangers to appear in content, both inside and outside of LOTRO. I know quite a few people bagged L4D2 for free, so that could be a good start.
Expect a video to cover the prospective 2014 content in more detail Soon(tm)

As always through, I'm open to suggestions/requests for things to do :)

Arc

Post by Arc » Fri Jan 03, 2014 6:02 pm

"certain people"??
Heh, obviously that is some sort of weird synonym for: "the vast majority of inhabitants on planet Earth"! :mrgreen:
Archturus (the 'h' is silent!!) -- Rune-keeper, 105; Tailor
Deorwen -- Warden, 88+; Jeweller (+ Cook)
Gilbrindal -- Captain, 100; Historian
Kitsunegari -- Huntress, 100; Weaponsmith
Safirlotus -- Minstrel, (65+); Scholar
Skullrend -- Guardian, (52+); Jeweller
Nareraumo -- LM, (40+); Yeoman

Niliak
Man-At-Arms
Man-At-Arms

Post by Niliak » Fri Jan 03, 2014 8:06 pm

I am certainly one of those people :D

Balthelion