YouTube Channel Discussion

All the latest news & releases from the RangersOfEriador YouTube channel!
Balthelion
The Almighty
The Almighty
Loading…

Re: YouTube Channel Discussion

Post by Balthelion » Tue Oct 22, 2013 11:55 am

OK well I've gotten a move on with the Walking Dead editing. It seems like I'll have to bend the rules for the remaininder of the series though. The first three chapters were a decently paced 6-episode arc.

It seems however that this will have to change with the last two. Chapter 4 looks set to be 8 episodes long, while chapter 5 will be 4 episodes long. So, still technically the same total number of episodes, they've just shifted.

The DLC content will be done in 3 episodes too.

Therefore the total episode count for The Walking Dead is now a confirmed 33 episodes (18 currently released), which is looking comfortable for a finish mid-to-late November. There may however be a bonus "In Memoriam" video for all the season 1 fatalities :mrgreen:

Freespace will hopefully also wrap in November, but since those are overlong episodes for the most part, and I may end up splitting and editing them to bring down their runtimes, I'm unsure as to how long that series will run. IIRC, current estimate (assuming no further splitting) is 26 episodes, 9 of which have been released.

That's 32 episodes between those 2 series, and 39 days between now and the end of November. It's doable. End of November isn't a hard deadline anyway, it's just a target. Can easily do my original plan of releasing Freespace as a 2nd video of the day too. It's a lot easier to maintain a healthy buffer of videos these days, so I can release multiple videos per day without risking not having someone to release... most of the time anyway :mrgreen:

Obviously some allowances will need to be made for LOTRO, the odd Kerbal video, and any Helm's Deep preview videos that get made (Helm's Deep videos would however be released immediately and not kept in reserve for a scheduled release)
GW2: Taikken ~ Vasuuki ~ Artuura
EVE: Marcus Rushe
SW:TOR: Tannik ~ Celandra ~ Korrun
League | Steam | Minecraft: LeoxStryker

Balthelion
The Almighty
The Almighty
Loading…

Post by Balthelion » Thu Oct 24, 2013 4:41 pm

Walking Dead today (out now) and tomorrow. Weekend will hopefully be a Kerbal and a Freespace (In both cases, I need to prep another ep). Failing that, theres several LOTRO eps on standby, but I should be good to have those ready in time anyway.

Balthelion
The Almighty
The Almighty
Loading…

Post by Balthelion » Mon Oct 28, 2013 11:03 am

Production continuing to move along nicely. So far no snags. Looking good for a passing of the torch in early December.

LOTRO
Haven’t recorded any more LOTRO as of yet. Trystana is currently at Trestlebridge in the North Downs at Lv24.

I’m probably going to do another one of the skirmishes for the next episode, before resuming questing. I didn’t want to do all the skirmish episodes back to back because I find them boring as hell.

The Helm’s Deep NDA has yet to be lifted, so I’m not able to get in there are record some videos on the topic.

The Walking Dead
As previously noted, the final episode count has been worked out to be 33 episodes. 20 have been released so far. My plan is to get 4 more out this week(Mon, Tue, Fri, Sat). All of these are ready for releasing, so I’m well ahead on this front.

Freespace: The Great War
Fallen behind on this series a bit. I’m hoping to get an episode done in time for the currently vacant Thursday slot, and possibly a second for the Sunday slot.

I’d like to at least complete the main campaign episodes before the Walking Dead ends (Read: Have as few as possible episodes remaining by the time Freespace becomes the main focus for releases).

Kerbal Space Program
Holy crap! I released a brand new episode of Kerbal! Looking at the stats for the six episodes released to date, this series is hugely popular (The most popular Let’s Play in fact, in terms of average views). As such, I ought to spend more time recording for this. Odds are though, that any serious Kerbal efforts will not be until the new year. However I will be maintaining some regular episode releases (once every 2 weeks maybe) in the meantime. The addition of the work-in-progress career mode gives me achievable goals and targets, not to mention new toys to play with.

As I noted in this latest released episode, I wasn’t sure whether people would get bored watching me do the same thing every episode (although they do seem to like the explosions that come with these efforts). But Now I have clear goals for each episode, so there is some form of progression across the series.

Lego LOTR / Minecraft
Still in development hell.

Half Life 2
Pretty sure I haven’t recored any more for this series either in the last week. Still about to begin my siege on Nova Prospekt.

Minecraft Super Hostile 12 with Halathor
We haven’t recorded any more of this yet either. We’ve still got the third and final area of section 2 to complete.

This Week’s Planned Releases
  • Mon – The Walking Dead 4.3
  • Tue – The Walking Dead 4.4
  • Wed - LOTRO
  • Thu – Freespace (TBC)
  • Fri – The Walking Dead 4.5
  • Sat – The Walking Dead 4.6
  • Sun – Freespace (TBC)

Balthelion
The Almighty
The Almighty
Loading…

Post by Balthelion » Thu Oct 31, 2013 4:03 pm

Slight change to plans since I didn't get a freespace edited for today:

Walking dead was moved up to today (out now) and tomorrow. Hopefully can do 2 Freespace episodes for the weekend. Or Freespace + LOTRO at the least.

Balthelion
The Almighty
The Almighty
Loading…

Post by Balthelion » Mon Nov 04, 2013 5:30 pm

Continued progress so far, even if the majority of work atm is on pre-recorded content rather than recording new footage (not that I need it!)

LOTRO
Trystana remains at Lv24 in Trestlebridge. There is still a lot of pre-recorded content to work through however. I believe the next episode to be released wraps up the Northern Barrow Downs. This is being tentatively scheduled for Thursday.

I’ve also recorded two – shall we say – bonus videos which will hopefully be able to see the light of day soon. With more of these planned if I get the opportunity.

The Walking Dead
There are two final episodes for the extended length Chapter 4. The first of these is out tomorrow (Tuesday), with the Chapter finale following the day after (Wednesday).

After that, there will likely be a bit of a break before Chapter 5 episodes will be released, starting possibly as late as next week. I’ll just let the cliffhanger sink in a bit first! :mrgreen:

Is just coming off a three-day spree with the latest episode released earlier today (Monday). I’m continuing to keep pace with these releases, with the intention of more of less finishing both the main campaign of Freespace along with the end of the main storyline of The Walking Dead.

This will just leave the expansion campaign of Freespace and the DLC for Waking Dead before both of those series can draw to a close. Since Freespace has a MINIMUM of 10 expansion episodes, and Walking Dead has a guaranteed 3 episodes only of DLC, it doesn’t matter too much if Freespace is a head of pace. Any remaining Freespace would just be pumped out even faster after the Walking Dead ends anyway (I Just don’t want to overload the channel with too much of it in one go).

Episode 10 (Triumph & Despair) is a pretty awesome episode story wise for the two missions it contains.

Kerbal / Minecraft / Lego LOTR
Still in a holding pattern, although another Kerbal is on the cards Soon™.

Half Life 2
Haven’t recorded any more of this yet. The way things stand, this series will likely be kicked off in December, and carry through to the New Year.

Odds are that this series will now be delayed until the New Year now. Just to make sure that I can finish all currently active series (Walking Dead, Freespace), and hopefully wrap up some longstanding recurring series (Minecraft, Lego LOTR) while limiting any new series started in the interim period to 1 game (Half Life, UNLESS I later decide to roll with this instead, and save Half Life for the new year).

I think Hal & I will be recording more of this during the week, which ought to wrap up Intersection 2 at the least.

This Week’s Planned Releases
Second half of the week is VERY unpredictable. Assuming that I hold off on Chapter 5 of the Walking Dead until next week, this is perhaps the most likely lineup. Thursday LOTRO should be pretty much certain but Friday onwards is subject to change.
  • Mon – Freespace #12
  • Tue – Walking Dead 4.7
  • Wed – Walking Dead 4.8
  • Thu – LOTRO (TBC)
  • Fri – Freespace (TBC)
  • Sat – Kerbal (TBC)
  • Sun - Freespace (TBC)

Balthelion
The Almighty
The Almighty
Loading…

Post by Balthelion » Tue Nov 05, 2013 10:48 am

Right, well the NDA lift on Helm's Deep has thrown a spanner in the works.

Helm's Deep Beta videos will be released as soon as possible rather than being released in the schedule.

I've got two underway at the moment: (1) Trait Trees, and (2) Landscape (Edoras and Helm's Deep Only, with potentially more to follow).

There is a strong possibility that these will come out tomorrow (Wednesday) and Thursday, IN ADDITION TO existing scheduled releases.

Stay tuned.

Plans are to record the following, subject to both personal time, and time I can spend in the beta:
  • One or more additional vieos, Showcasing the map and rest of the landscape in Western Rohan.
  • One video for EVERY class. The Burg one is going to be very in depth, but given how much time I've spent researching the changes from live to beta, I can't do this for every class. While the burg will be in depth about "X, Y, Z has happened to this skill" etc, other classes will be very much a case of pull it up on the screen, show it off, talk about it, and try to give a commentary on it based on memory of how the class works on live. While trying not to be overly pessimistic about the warden changes. Trying.
  • One - or more - videos on Big Battles. Not sure on the format for these, but it will be very much a case of "This is how the system works so you can get an understanding of it before launch", rather than "heres a walkthrough from start to finish for this big battle". I'll demonstrate the promotion trees, ordering troops, interacting with the environments etc.
  • Other videos as i see fit. Really, could be anything as long as it is worthy enough to be covered in a video rather than just written down in the guide or something.
But yeah, being able to record and release some beta previews is one of the big goals of my channel: The two previews i did for Update 10 remain two of my best watched videos (The top 2 if i'm not mistaken).

Balthelion
The Almighty
The Almighty
Loading…

Post by Balthelion » Wed Nov 06, 2013 9:55 am

The first Helm's Deep Beta Preview video (Landscape: Edoras & Helm's Deep) will go live today at 2pm UK
(in addition to the scheduled Walking Dead episode at 12pm)

Obion
Loading…

Post by Obion » Wed Nov 06, 2013 8:56 pm

watched it. For some reason running it at 1080 it still looks closer to 360. Very blurry and hard to make out details.
But the content was nice.

Edit.
Tested later and somehow worked much better.

Balthelion
The Almighty
The Almighty
Loading…

Post by Balthelion » Fri Nov 08, 2013 11:25 am

OK, the second Helm's Deep video is now up: Trait Trees:

In other news, The first episode of Walking Dead chapter 5 is up later today. It's a bloody good one (emphasis on bloody). WATCH IT!

---

Side note: Youtube videos embedded on the forums are now larger and widescreen :P

Balthelion
The Almighty
The Almighty
Loading…

Post by Balthelion » Mon Nov 11, 2013 1:38 pm

It’s going to be a hectic week this week, as I not only attempt to keep up daily releases of the regular videos, but also desperately attempt to complete all the necessary Helm’s Deep Beta videos to be released in parallel. Getting the remaining 7 class videos alone done in the next 7 days is already going to be a tough enough target, never mind anything else!

LOTRO – Let’s Play
I’m in the process of editing the next batch of episodes (Southern Barrow Downs). The way I’m planning to break them will result in four episodes of approximately 20 minutes each.

One of these videos will come out this week.

LOTRO – Helm’s Deep
I currently have four videos released:
  1. Landscape: Edoras & Helm’s Deep
  2. Trait Trees
  3. Burglar
  4. Hunter
The plan is to get the remaining 7 class videos done before launch (Captain next, then LM, then the rest). I will also be doing as many other videos as possible too, covering the other major aspects of the expansion, for which a video is better than a wall of text.

The Walking Dead
The storyline will come to it’s gripping conclusion this week, in the final two episodes. It’s some great stuff, so check these out when they air.

After that, the only thing left is the DLC episodes, but I’ll be saving those for next week.

This series is progressing along nicely, although the need to split some recorded episodes in half means that the goalposts are constantly shifting, and with each edited episode, the total episode count for the main storyline is increasing. The rate it’s going, total episode count (including expansion) could push 40 episodes, from an original 26. As a result, this series could go on for longer than anticipated, although it will still be wrapped up before Christmas.

Kerbal Space Program
I’m planning to get another episode of this done for this week. I technically have 2 pre-recorded atm, but will likely save the second for next week.

Minecraft
Still no more of this recorded. Current plan is to begin weaving this back into rotation once The Walking Dead has finished airing, so most likely the week starting Mon 25th November.

Lego LOTR
Still in development hell.

Half-Life 2
I’ve recorded more of this at last (not that there was any rush to). And I’m now inside Nova Prospekt. Not sure if my planned bonus video is still on at this point. The event may simply be edited into the normal video, or it may be dropped entirely. Not sure if I can make an entirely new video for my evil plans. We’ll see whenever I get around to editing these in the future.

We’ve recorded more of this over the past week. We’ve literally made no progression. That’s how bad things have gone :P

Also: Hal stole then lost my Diamond Axe. Bastard.

This Week’s Planned Releases:
TBC = To be confirmed (May change If I can’t meet the release schedule)
  • Mon - Freespace
  • Tue – The Walking Dead
  • Wed – The Walking Dead
  • Thu – LOTRO (TBC)
  • Fri - Kerbal (TBC)
  • Sat - Freespace (TBC)
  • Sun - Freespace (TBC)