YouTube Channel Discussion

All the latest news & releases from the RangersOfEriador YouTube channel!
Niliak
Man-At-Arms
Man-At-Arms

Re: YouTube Channel Discussion

Post by Niliak » Tue Sep 24, 2013 5:05 pm

Balthelion wrote:
Niliak wrote:Can you play it solo? If so it sounds worth having a go at.
Yes, you can do it solo too. The newer maps are obviously made later, and thus make use of newer game features.

I'd recommend Spellbound Caverns as a good one to start with. Managed to do that one solo eventually.

Minecraft Super Hostile Maps by Vechs

I tried the one from the video....15 deaths later I haven't escaped the first room lol :roll:

Balthelion
The Almighty
The Almighty
Loading…

Post by Balthelion » Wed Sep 25, 2013 11:09 am

The Best ever YouTube Automatic Tag Suggestion

For those of you unfamiliar with youtube: When submitting a video you can "tag" it with words or phrases to help people find your video. So for example you might tag it with names, places themes etc. Sometimes, to avoid confusion, the suggestions include a category in brackets, eg "The Fellowship of the Ring (Book)" or "The Fellowship of the Ring (Movie)".

Well, YouTube just came up with a legendary suggestion. What a category name!

Orodruin (Fictional Object Destruction Method)
(Orodruin = Mount Doom, if you don't get it)
GW2: Taikken ~ Vasuuki ~ Artuura
EVE: Marcus Rushe
SW:TOR: Tannik ~ Celandra ~ Korrun
League | Steam | Minecraft: LeoxStryker

Balthelion
The Almighty
The Almighty
Loading…

Post by Balthelion » Wed Sep 25, 2013 4:52 pm

New LOTRO episode came out today. Scribblenauts scheduled for Thursday & Friday. Beyond that is currently unplanned, but I should be good for daily releases from now on, unless I get lazy :P

Balthelion
The Almighty
The Almighty
Loading…

Post by Balthelion » Thu Sep 26, 2013 5:25 pm

Minecraft With Hal
Well Hal and I did another Minecraft session last night. The amount of time we spend trying to battle our way over just a few blocks was shocking. But to be fair, we discovered 3 new mob types (not present in vanilla Minecraft) which caught us off guard.

We’ve now managed to obtain the second colour of wool, plus a Lapis Lazuli block which might I’m pretty sure will come in handy later. Plus no matter how many times I have lost my diamond sword, I’ve been able to get it back, so I’m still happy.

I’ve also spotted the mother of all chest cart trains (seriously: it’s like 30 carts long). So you can bet your ass I’ll be trying to loot that in a future video and no doubt falling prey to some kind of booby trap.

Weekend Recording Plans
I’m planning to record the final necessary episodes of Scribblenauts over the weekend, which I can then quickly edit, upload, release and call the series concluded. One less to worry about then.

Also planned is trying to find a way to copy (or at least back up) my walking dead save file, since I need to rewind (and thus lose progress) in order to record a missing segment, after which I will be able to edit and release all the chapter two episodes. Hopefully without encountering audio desync issues too.

Other than that, I’ll probably record some more LOTRO (Maybe Trystana’s first attempts at tanking some instances – See the events forum!)

Might get a token Kerbal episode recorded, because it’s been a while since the last episode of that, and they are popular. Doubt there will anything useful in a practical sense though, which is OK, since about 90% of viewers seem to watch that for the explosions.

And I might do some more work on that Minecraft Adventure series, because I would prefer not to have two active Minecraft series at the same time. So I need to call a wrap on that before the co-op starts. Which means it needs to wrap about the same time as The Walking Dead. Perfectly do-able, but I’d just need to get a move on.

Balthelion
The Almighty
The Almighty
Loading…

Post by Balthelion » Mon Sep 30, 2013 5:17 pm

Well I’m now back on top of things again, thanks to my new TV. Things should be coming thick and fast now.

Scribblenauts Unlimited
Will 100% definitely be finishing this week. There are 3 episodes left to air, finishing off the remaining object shards and steam achievements. Expect these to air on Monday, Wednesday and Thursday. And then that’s it for this series. Woohoo! One less to worry about!

LOTRO
Trystana is Lv24, and back in Bree after finishing the Barrow downs. I haven’t really recorded much more of her main adventure, I’ve just been covering skirmishes and those available at low levels.

As some of you may be aware, I’ve also been recording some instance videos. Not entirely sure how these will fit into the series format, But I’ve recorded them without commentary, with the plan to add a post-commentary later, so that I can walk through what is going on inside the instance without having to break up my commentary by telling other people what to do etc during the actual run.

These might be weaved into the main series, or left as standalone guides / walkthroughs. Odds are they will be standalone videos that will be inserted into both the “Let’s Play LOTRO” playlist, plus a new playlist for LOTRO guides and walkthroughs.

Anyway, there is a guaranteed episode for Tuesday, and hopefully another one on Friday (TBC)

Minecraft: Super Hostile with Hal
Recorded some more of this over the weekend, And come to think of it: I *REALLY* hope I re-enabled my microphone in FRAPS before recording this (having disabled it the day previous, to record LOTRO instances). Otherwise there will be none of my commentary, for a couple hours’ worth of footage. Which will necessitate either (A) trying to record some fake “live” commentary to try and match up to Hal’s commentary, or cheaping out, and just recording my stuff as a post-commentary in the past tense.

Anyway, there was a rather humorous evening of attempting to rob a train, and then an amazing bit of work by me to obtain the third piece of wool. Although we still haven’t found the victory monument or the route to the second intersection. But we’re now rich.

The Walking Dead
Turns out it wasn’t too difficult at all to re-record the missing segment (You can backtrack to specific checkpoints within a game chapter). So I’ve now done that, and I should be able to edit all of the chapter 2 episodes for release Soon™.

There’s no decision on what is coming on Saturday or Sunday yet, so with that in mind, plus the fact that Scribblenauts will have finished by then, I’ll probably get two episodes of the walking dead done to propel us into next week with a heavy focus on Chapter two of The Walking Dead.

Walking Dead will be the primary series that I will be focusing releases on starting from this Saturday.

A Minecraft Adventure
Started recording more of this, but then it crashed. To be continued.

Kerbal, Lego LOTR
Neither have had new content recorded yet.

Freespace
Still need to edit and release these since there were all recorded back in May.

Coming This Week (Mon-Sun):
  • Mon - Scribblenauts
  • Tue - LOTRO
  • Wed - Scribblenauts
  • Thu - Scribblenauts
  • Fri – LOTRO (TBC)
  • Sat – The Walking Dead (TBC)
  • Sun – The Walking Dead (TBC)

Balthelion
The Almighty
The Almighty
Loading…

Post by Balthelion » Mon Oct 07, 2013 10:58 am

I’m definitely back in the swing of things now, and establishing a healthy buffer of episodes again! :D

LOTRO
Haven’t recorded any more of this yet, but I’ve got so much already recorded anyway. Trystana remains Lv24 in Bree for the time being. Meanwhile, She’s currently on the verge of entering the Old Forest in Bree-land in the series.

The Walking Dead
I’ve edited together all of the chapter 2 episodes (once again: weighing in at 6 youtube episodes in total). These will form the majority of this week’s releases. It’s a pretty exciting chapter, so hope you enjoy watching it. This will conclude Chapter 2 on Sunday, after which there may be a few days gap before starting chapter 3, during which time I can release videos from other series.

Freespace
Yes, holy shit, I’ve actually done something on this series instead of just saying I will! I tagged it as having been interrupted while recording (Which usually means someone has poked their head in my door and tainted the audio with their voice). Turns out that In this episodes case you can’t even hear them, so it was a load of fuss about nothing. Anyway, this episode was quite amusing to watch given my commentary and constantly being thwarted by cargo transports of all things.

Now that this is back on the menu, I’ll be looking at trying to wrap is up as soon as possible. There are roughly 26 episodes in total (16 for the main campaign). Episode 7 is out this week. Walking Dead is still the priority for releases, but this Is number 2, just to finish what I’ve started even if its not a hugely popular series.

Minecraft Super Hostile 12 With Hal
Haven’t recorded anymore of this, but I’ve been exploring the areas we’ve already recorded in for secrets, and making home improvements to our base. I believe we are now in a position to hunt down the second intersection, and hopefully there is some kind of outpost there that we can commandeer and start moving stuff over to for more crazy adventures.

Half Life 2
I’ve started recording this now, in what’s likely to be my last “big” series of 2013 (besides the as-yet-unreleased Minecraft co-op with Hal). Likely to just be the main game for now, with episodes 1 & 2 following individually at a later date in the New Year.

Kerbal, Lego LOTR, Minecraft
Still on hold for this week.

Coming This Week:
  • Mon – Walking Dead
  • Tue – Walking Dead
  • Wed - Freespace
  • Thu – Walking Dead
  • Fri – LOTRO (TBC)
  • Sat – Walking Dead
  • Sun – Walking Dead

Balthelion
The Almighty
The Almighty
Loading…

Post by Balthelion » Fri Oct 11, 2013 3:31 pm

Didn't get a LOTRO prepped for today, so a Walking Dead came out instead. The final episode for chapter two of the game will be out tomorrow.

Hoping to have a LOTRO episode for Sunday to round out the week.

Balthelion
The Almighty
The Almighty
Loading…

Post by Balthelion » Mon Oct 14, 2013 5:05 pm

Going from strength to strength atm without dropping the ball :)

LOTRO
Still nothing new recorded, but I’m gradually making episodes out of the backlog to release, at a rate of about 2 a week.

The Walking Dead
I’ve edited together the first four (iirc) episodes of the third chapter together. Once again, I think it’s going to be a 6-episode arc. Expect this to make up the bulk of releases this week as usual.

Freespace
I’m maintaining a slow and steady pace on releases for this now, Viewing figures are up slightly and it even got a like! Holy crap. Some of the episodes in this series though are really REALLY long. So I’m having to adopt the new tactic I’ve been using in order series to split them in half to get them down to more reasonable runtimes. This will naturally translate into more episodes in the series, so no idea how long it will technically go on for.

Minecraft Super Hostile with Halathor
More recordings of this, and the disasters that go with it have taken place. We’ve finally found our way to level 2. Which was great until we discovered how many Blazes lived there (60+, no joke). However we are determined that no threat of serious burns will stop us, and we are currently attempting to race each other to salvage the hoard of supplies from the evil Blaze Army.

Half Life 2
Got pretty far on this, but surprisingly much faster than I was expecting. Total episode count should be quite reasonable at this rate. This should debut late this year (December), possibly even in the new year.

Kerbal, Minecraft, Lego LOTR
No Updates

Coming This Week
All four walking dead episodes are prepared, so as long as I am able to edit the LOTRO & Freespace videos in time, this is what the releases will look like this week:
  • Mon – The Walking Dead
  • Tue – The Walking Dead
  • Wed - LOTRO
  • Thu - Freespace
  • Fri – The Walking Dead
  • Sat – The Walking Dead
  • Sun - LOTRO
Indeed: A regular rotation of “2 Walking Dead > 1 LOTRO > 1 Freespace” rinse/repeat seems like a good way to do business at present, maintaining good momentum across all 3 series.

Balthelion
The Almighty
The Almighty
Loading…

Post by Balthelion » Wed Oct 16, 2013 9:57 am

Slightly different order.

Freespace today, LOTRO tomorrow.

And tomorrows episode features a moment which is both incredibly epic and incredibly cute at the same time :mrgreen:

So the only things still to be confirmed is Sunday's episode of LOTRO. Speaking of which, after tomorrows episode I've now caught up with the traditional episodic recordings (IE, its recorded with with its own "hello" and "goodbye"). After this, I switched over to my mammoth recording sessions (IE, I do a "hello", then record several hours worth of footage in one go, then a "goodbye").

Now, theoretically, if this works out the same as previous editing where i've had to split one video into two, it means that I can edit these A LOT faster, as I'm doing them all at once. The catch is instead of doing 2 at once, I'm doing maybe 6-8 episodes, which could make this complicated. But the bottom line is if i sit done to do some editing, it will take a little more time to edit, but yield a LOT more episodes for my time. And I can crank out for example, 7 episodes worth of LOTRO episodes in one sitting.

It's a great way to build up a buffer. And specifically in LOTRO's case, If I'm going to do a load of preview videos in open beta, I'm not going to be playing much live over that time period as a result. So a healthy buffer prepared in advance is very good :)

Balthelion
The Almighty
The Almighty
Loading…

Post by Balthelion » Mon Oct 21, 2013 12:21 pm

Lots of stuff going on this week (Though probably not enough editing done given that I had a 3-day weekend :P)

The current priority remains to finish The Walking Dead by the end of November at the absolute latest. Plus Freespace to end as shortly as possible after The Walking Dead. The two new series (Minecraft Super Hostile & Half Life 2) will not launch until AT LEAST Walking Dead is finished. Hopefully, Freespace can be completed before I start one or both of these too. At the current rate, I ought to be well into the expansion episodes for Freespace before Walking Dead concludes, so hopefully I won’t be far off finishing that too.

Ideally, Half Life 2 & Minecraft Super Hostile can start around the beginning of December to replace the two recently ended series, and these can carry me through into the New Year, with enough buffer to keep me going over the Christmas period without needing to record or edit more videos.

LOTRO
Finally recorded a few more episodes for this. Trystana is currently Lv24, and has now arrived in Trestlebridge. I’ve also completed Vol 1, Book 1. The plan going forward will be to do my usual “Pick & Mix” approach to questing, going between the North Downs & Lone Lands, and from here on in, featuring pretty much every location as it becomes level appropriate.

I still however need to record a few more instance videos. Now, these do not necessarily need to be with Trystana herself. I can record the scalable instances with level capped characters for example. These videos are more about the instances themselves, the theory & tactics, rather than Trystana herself, or what a warden should be doing.

I’d still like to record a tutorial video for every instance as it opens up though. For non-scaling instances, this becomes a bit trickier, as trying to get on-level groups will be difficult, and I’d rather not have a faceroll group for the tutorial video.

Hopefully heading into November, Helm’s Deep will enter open beta and drop its NDA. I am then hoping to be able to do A LOT of Beta videos covering the upcoming changes. This will include (Depending on time and effort):
  • Trait Trees – Outlining how trait trees work in general
  • Class Changes (x9) – Highlighting the changes to each class, including a detailed look at each of their trait trees.
  • Big Battles – A video highlighting big battles, displaying some of the new mechanics, scenery, and going into detail for the promotion trait trees.
  • Western Rohan – A video highlighting the Western Rohan region, showing off the scenery, and also discussing the general questing path through the expansion.
Possibly more stuff as well. Now obviously: If this is able to happen, it means that I will not have time to record any other videos (especially LOTRO), which is why I have built up a very healthy buffer already. Since my time will likely be spent recording and editing these videos, which will be a very demanding (but hopefully rewarding) experience.

The Walking Dead
I’ve yet to actually edit any Chapter 4 videos yet (Which is currently the biggest issue going into this week’s releases). However it seems like it should be a walk in the park to edit, as the previous 2 chapters did not have audio problems.

The final chapter 3 episode airs today (Monday) after which there will probably be a few days break and then Chapter 4 will start later in the week (Probably Thursday at the absolute earliest).

Freespace: The Great War
This is now back on track with some regular but limited releases. Finally found the sweet spot for settings when rendering the videos, to get them as high quality as possible given that they are recorded in the game’s native 640x480 resolution (Hey, It’s a 1997 game after all!)

It’s tricky trying to strike a balance between not creating too many episodes (ie, splitting videos in half) and not have episodes with crazy runtimes. Some missions take A LONG time. Usually because I die a lot and need multiple runs at the mission.

However in the most recent episode, I’ve been able to make a satisfactory compromise. The first run is a full attempt at the mission (I die at the end), and subsequent attempts are just featuring key moments, and the repetition of this final segment of the mission until I beat it, since the rest of the mission is pretty much the same stuff. I think this cut the runtime down from something like 54 minutes to a more acceptable 30 minutes. 20-25 minutes is my target length for any video in a series, and while Freespace is not everyone’s cup of tea (probably mostly due to its age, unless anyone else watching remembers it fondly), I’d prefer to have slightly overlong episode lengths and fewer episodes, than more episodes of wildly varying lengths.

Kerbal Space Program
Holy Shit! I’ve recorded more of this. I’ve started off by getting to know the new update, and I’ve started doing the new (work in progress) Career Mode. So I start out with very VERY basic components, and have to advance my technology by achieving successful flights in my space program. It’s pretty interesting how it works. Also pretty disastrous. Should keep the masses happy at least.

More importantly though, this new career mode gives me goals and objectives. Rather than simply trying to send different rockets to the Mun. It’s boring and repetitive for me, and probably the viewers too unless things explode horribly.

There’s a good chance you’ll see an episode of Kerbal released this week as a result.

Minecraft, Lego LOTR
Still on hold. Ideally, I need to try and work this Minecraft series to a close before starting the next one to avoid confusion.

Half Life 2
Got pretty far in this already. I’m about to begin the siege on Nova Prospekt. And if the footage allows, I have a rather amusing idea for an optional extra video too :D.

At this point, total episode count is looking likely to be in the region of the mid-30’s, maybe as high as 40. Remains to be seen. But so far I’ve been rather economical with my episode count (Think I’m on around ~18 atm).

Minecraft Super Hostile 12 with Halathor
Recorded more of this over the weekend with Hal. I think we’ve now gotten 5 pieces of wool now, and we’re almost done with the second intersection. We’ve only got one more location to check, and this is seemingly the one that also leads on to the next area.

There have been a couple new sinister mob types screwing us over (Not to mention the incident with the 60+ blazes!) Hal made an epic last stand at one point when he was shot off a ledge into the horde of monsters awaiting him below, leaving me to perform a traditional man-mode attempt at wool extraction. The second wool of this intersection was also VERY easy to obtain (despite the sudden – and fatal – appearance of a most unexpected and deadly mob type)

We’re now finally established in our second base, and I’ve moved over all our supplies, so in our next sitting, we’re looking towards finding the final wool in this area and moving onto world 3.

Coming This Week
TBC – To be confirmed, subject to editing deadlines:
  • Mon – The Walking Dead #18 (Chapter 3.6)
  • Tue – Freespace #9
  • Wed – LOTRO #26
  • Thu – Kerbal Space Program - TBC
  • Fri – The Walking Dead #19 (Chapter 4.1) - TBC
  • Sat – The Walking Dead #20 (Chapter 4.2) - TBC
  • Sun - The Walking Dead #20 (Chapter 4.3) - TBC