YouTube Channel Discussion

All the latest news & releases from the RangersOfEriador YouTube channel!
Balthelion
The Almighty
The Almighty
Loading…

YouTube Channel Discussion

Post by Balthelion » Wed Jan 16, 2013 3:38 am

I've got a long way to go yet with the Deus Ex lets play (although I'm way ahead of whats released on YouTube I think #8 is live, #13 is on youtube schedule for release, and i've recorded #27 now). But I'm already starting to consider what to do next.

As I've said to Hal, I'm enjoying myself doing the Deus Ex one, even if no-one watches them, but if it's something that other people (particularly you guys rather than random viewers on YouTube) enjoy, then it's all the better.

Obviously the LOTRO one will be picked up at some point after U10 as well (although I ought to have finished the Deus Ex playthough by then, even though episodes will still be releasing on YouTube for some time to come).

I just wanted to see if there are any opinions or preferences for what to tackle next. I do have quite an extensive game collection after all :P. I'll be limited to playing PC games, although some older console games (ie, SNES/Mega Drive/Game Boy) may be doable with emulators. Sadly no recent generation consoles, otherwise a Resident Evil 4 Wii playthough would probably have won hands down.

Ideally, something different to Deus Ex (RPG/Shooter) would be preferable, just to add a bit of variety. Bearing in mind, it will probably be run concurrently to LOTRO.

Some games I've considered are below, but I'm open to further suggestions providing it's something i have and don't hate. So far there seems to be a trend of modern shooter-y games, and general classic games that bring back feelings of nostalgia for me :P. Maybe some of you have the same feelings of nostalgia for some of these too :). You can basically rule out any open-ended game (Eg Fallout, Elder Scrolls) given the LOTRO playthough would be happening concurrently.

Deus Ex 2: Invisible War (2004) & Deus Ex 3: Human Revolution (2011)
Obviously these are bound to be on the cards at some point. While I'm not too keen on Invisible War - It was just too watered down to feel like a worthy successor to the original - I'm keen to do Human Revolution at some point, with my eyes on doing a non-lethal playthough for extra difficulty :)

Mass Effect 1 (2007)
(Sequels to follow at a later date)
Will be making sure I have all DLC if/when i get around to this. I'm someone reluctant to start this next, given that it's not only another shooter-y game, but another first game in a trilogy. Because OCD compels me Let's Play them all eventually. :P

Half Life 2 (2005)
(Episodes 1 & 2 to follow at a later date)
Although this is another shooter, out of all of them it's the most appealing to do at this time.

MechWarrior 3 (1999)
Another classic game dear to my heart. For those who don't know, it's basically stomping around in a giant robot destroying other giant robots. Lasers. Explosions. That king of stuff. I have a stronger personal/nostalgic attachment to this game rather than its sequel and associated spinoffs.

MechWarrior 4 (2001)
As above, but with slithly improved graphics and live-action cutscenes (think C&C style, but lower budget). Potential for extra episodes based on the expansions.
Aliens Vs. Predator (All 3 campaigns, one after the other)

Command & Conquer 2: Tiberian Sun (1999) or Command & Conquer 3: Tiberium Wars (2007)
I don't have the original, 2 is obviously a classic, 3 is amazing, and 4 tried to kill off the franchise. So 2 or 3 are on the table (3 is preferred on a personal standpoint). It gets points just for the casting of well-known actors across the board for its cutscenes.

Freespace 1 (1998) or Freespace 2 (1999)
I've got my eyes on Freespace 2, since it was a bloody awesome space combat sim back in the day. The original is also on the table, and while it's not as good as the sequel, it does set up events quite nicely for it.

Kerbal Space Program (Still in Beta)
A more open-ended series chronicling my disastrous attempts at a space program.

Serious Sam: The Second Encounter
Although it's a shooter, its an arcade style shooter where you must complete on rails levels while being subjected to seemingly endless hordes of enemies. A game made by people who must have been high, and a lethal asenal to match, theres a lot of potential for laughs. And a certainty for everything to turn to meatchunks. I have the HD version of the original game, which i have yet to playthough.

From Dust (2011)
A game where you act like a god manipulating the terrain to prtect your tribal villagers, and complete objectives such as saving them from annihilation in a volcanic eruption, or founding all possible villages without falling prey to the many environmental hazards (volcanoes, tidal waves, etc). This would make a good shorter lets play series, although there are many challenge maps for further episodic potential.

FTL: Faster Than Light (2012)
Likely a more open-ended series since the game is based around replaying the same style of scenario until you die or complete the game. Quite addicting nonetheless.

-----

Thoughts?
GW2: Taikken ~ Vasuuki ~ Artuura
EVE: Marcus Rushe
SW:TOR: Tannik ~ Celandra ~ Korrun
League | Steam | Minecraft: LeoxStryker

Aedfrith

Re: What to "Let's Play" next?

Post by Aedfrith » Wed Jan 16, 2013 9:37 am

Kerbals!
Aedfrith - Yarrr! | Aldnoth - Respect mah authoritah!| Hrolfdan - Buurrp! | Rumbold - BAPPLE! | Morriarty - Yak-a-boo! | Hraldan - DORF! | Aldfryd - KYAI PAN TUO KYAI! | Aednoth - BOOM! | Rumbelina - :3 | Mishhar - Grroar!

Danfast
Second Marshall
Second Marshall

Post by Danfast » Wed Jan 16, 2013 10:11 am

Mass Effect definitely for me. Might even make me want to play it again.
Danfast - 85 Gu
Elenarwen - 85 Lm
Elenad - 85 Ch
Healerosi - 85 Mi
Kapetanos - 85 Ca
Hrethgir - 85 Bu
Falaim - 26 Hu
Beryc - 15 Rk
Failmeister - 14 Wd

Obion
Loading…

Post by Obion » Wed Jan 16, 2013 1:33 pm

Mahjong?

Baz
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Baz » Wed Jan 16, 2013 2:18 pm

Grog's Revenge

Balthelion
The Almighty
The Almighty
Loading…

Post by Balthelion » Wed Jan 16, 2013 2:27 pm

Baz wrote:Grog's Revenge
OK, i had to google that one :mrgreen:

andrac
Danger Mouse
Danger Mouse

Post by andrac » Wed Jan 16, 2013 2:35 pm

Obion wrote:Mahjong?
:lol:

ontopic. Neverwinter nights, Gothic 1, 2, Night of the raven, 3, Freelancer, Icewind Dale, Diablo 2 hardcore. Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas, Sillent Hill series (creeeeeepy), Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell: Pandora Tomorrow or from the same name, Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic II 1 and 2, Rise of Nations, Need for Speed Porche (only, the rest are jokes), Lord of the rings The battle for middle earth, Halo, Far Cry, Max Payne 1, Thief Deadly Shadows (epic), Prince of Persia Warrior Within, Wars and Warriors: Joan of Arc (not awesome but still worth), Rome TotaL War ( EPIIIIIIC), Hidden And Dangerous 2: Sabre Squadron (one of the best ones imo), Medal of Honor: Pacific Assault (i love it), Syberia 2 (if u want an epic adventure), and so many more.
Btw, u may not understand that i played all those and so many more, finished most of them, and i have an nice colection of saves from every level, dificulty etc (need to find them on my hdd's though). My list is around 1000 games, and i should have them all on cd's. Was so many good games before ... now only crap. But if u want only from the ones u choosed, than:

Deus Ex is crap mostly except first part
Mass effect 1 and 2 could be the choosen ones. Also they are some nice updates/upgrades DLC on them iirc.
Half life 2 is epic but is simple enought, as well as serious sam 1 or 2
Command & Conquer 2: Tiberian Sun and or Red Alert series are nice but except the story line, u dont have lot of do. Maybe an random one with the pc but is no challenge.
Andracy - Mins 100 (tailor) | Andrady - RK 100 (scholar) | Andracya - Burg 100 (weaponsmith) | Andrac - Hunt 100 (woodworker) | Gabytza LM 100 (jeweller) | Anduta - Warden 100 (jeweller)

Arc

Post by Arc » Wed Jan 16, 2013 3:19 pm

Bubble Bobble!!!!11!1!!11oneoneeleven :mrgreen:

But seriously, I was about to say: Am I the only one missing Diablo/Diablo2 from this list? But Andy beat me to it! ;)
One game I would really like to see some videos like these for educational purposes - since it's a bit complicated to get the hang of much of the stuff in it - is The Secret World. Sadly, I never really got to play it beyond a couple of days of testing - now because of money & hardware issues - so I would like to see how it evolves and deepens. :)

Choosing only from the ones you listed though, I would be most interested in seeing the Kerbal Space one. :P
Archturus (the 'h' is silent!!) -- Rune-keeper, 105; Tailor
Deorwen -- Warden, 88+; Jeweller (+ Cook)
Gilbrindal -- Captain, 100; Historian
Kitsunegari -- Huntress, 100; Weaponsmith
Safirlotus -- Minstrel, (65+); Scholar
Skullrend -- Guardian, (52+); Jeweller
Nareraumo -- LM, (40+); Yeoman

Aedfrith

Post by Aedfrith » Wed Jan 16, 2013 3:37 pm

Baldur's Gate original, how not to wipe against the kobold commandos doing 2d8 damage when you only have 3 hit points ;)
Aedfrith - Yarrr! | Aldnoth - Respect mah authoritah!| Hrolfdan - Buurrp! | Rumbold - BAPPLE! | Morriarty - Yak-a-boo! | Hraldan - DORF! | Aldfryd - KYAI PAN TUO KYAI! | Aednoth - BOOM! | Rumbelina - :3 | Mishhar - Grroar!

Balthelion
The Almighty
The Almighty
Loading…

Post by Balthelion » Wed Jan 16, 2013 5:05 pm

RE: Andy's Comments

Freelancer is a possibility. That was quite enjoyable, though iirc really long :lol:
Another game of a similar nature would be Tachyon: The Fringe. I'm pretty sure doing that one would get Flair to watch the videos, and even get playing it again :P

KOTOR! How could i forget KOTOR! Yes, that should be on my "To do at some point list".

If I were to do a Need For Speed, it would be Most Wanted (the original, i know theres a new game either in development or released recently with the same name). I agree that most of the games in the series are average at best, but that one was a lot of fun. Not sure how i would go about blocking it into episodes, and not much i can do a commentary on while racing IMO (Besides laughing my ass off at immobolising the cops in epic ways).

With the exception of Max Payne 1 (of which i'm not sure I'd enjoy it enough to make a Let's Play worthwhile), I don't have any of the others. And Diablo 2 Hardcore? Isn't that where you get one life, and if you die, thats it? :lol:

I'd agree that RTS games could potentially be a bit boring sat in base, a lot of waiting etc. But maybe with editing out the slow parts it could be doable.

RE: Arc

Never got into Diablo (or even played for that matter), so don't own it and not particularly compelled to get them. Maybe if they were dirt cheap on steam, but then again, i have about 70 other games i bought on steam for the same reason that i have yet to play.

Kerbal videos would be more as-and-when releases rather than a proper "Start game, complete it all, then stop" let's play series, so could do a few of them from time to time while i do otehr videos/series. Same goes for FTL, or anything of a similar nature. Very tempted to do a few of both of these anyway soon(tm), but I'll see how i go.

RE: Aed

As above RE: Diablo.