Stargate is a portal-based transportation plugin, and works much like it does in the TV show.
Stargate has no commands (except for admins). Everything is done in the standard minecraft interface.
To create a stargate
You will need 7 Gold Blocks (=63 Gold Ingots) and 9 Obsidian blocks. These materials were chosen because they take a considerable amount of time and resources to gather. It also gives another practical use for Gold Ingots on our server. This helps to ensure that players think carefully about whether they wish to invest the significant amount of resources to operate a stargate, or use alternative methods of travel.
Take these blocks, and construct them in the following 7x7 pattern:
Gold = Gold Ingot
Black = Obsidian
My personal recommendation is that you build the bottom three obsidian blocks into the floor, so the bottom of the portal is in line with the floor.
To complete the stargate, you need to place a sign on the bottom leftmost obsidian block (8 o'clock position), and a button on the bottom rightmost obsidian block (4 o'clock position). Note that if you do the sign first, the button may be added automatically. You need to configure the sign as follows:
Line 1: Gate Name
This is the name of the gate you are creating. Must be one word, and no more than 11 characters
Line 2: Fixed Destination Name (optional)
If you want your new gate to only be able to dial one destination, enter the name of that gate here. Otherwise, leave it blank.
Line 3: Network Name (optional)
Enter the name of the network you wish this gate to be on. A gate can ONLY dial other gates on the same network. Leaving this blank creates a gate on the default public network (called "central")
Line 4: Options (optional)
If you wish, you can set special options for your new gate my adding letters on this last line:
- 'A' - Always-on Fixed Gate: If you set a fixed destination on line 2, you can use this to always have the gate be active without needing to be dialled. NOTE: Other gates cannot dial your gate if this option is set.
- 'H' - Hidden Networked Gate: If you set this option, other players using a gate on the same network will not be able to see your gate in the destinations list, and therefore cannot travel to your gate. You, as the owner of this gate, will still be able to see and use it as a destination from other gates on the network. Moderators & admins are also able to see and use hidden gates.
- 'P' - Private Gate: If you set this option, only you as the gate creator can travel from this gate. Moderators & admins are also able to use another player's private gates..
To use a stargate
First, approach the sign on the left hand side of the stargate (top screenshot below)
Then right click the sign to "control" the stargate. When you have control over the gate, no other player can interact with it until control is reset (either by you travelling through the gate, or after a short period of time with no interaction). Right clicking the sign will bring up the destinations list (bottom screenshot below).
Right clicking the destinations list will scroll FORWARD though the destinations.
Left clicking the destinations will scrolls BACKWARD through the destinations.
The currently selected destination will be inside arrows (eg: >Destination< )
Note that only three destinations can fit on the sign at any one time, but left/right clickign will still scroll though those not currently displayed).
When the destiantion you wish to travel to is selected, head over to the button on the right hand side of the starget (top screenshot below).
Right-clicking the button will open a wormhole to the currently selected destination (bottom screenshot below). The wormhole will remain open until you travel through it, or until 10 seconds have passed. Note that only the player with control of the gate can step though the portal.
To create a DHD
A DHD (short for "Dial Home Device") is a way of remotely activating stargates, without having to interact with the stargate itself. It also enables you to open a wormhole between gates that another player is allowed to travel through. This effectively allows you to allow other players to travel through your private/hidden gates, if you open the portal for them.
To create a DHD you need to create a sign with the following information:
- Line 1 - DHD Header: A DHD must allows have the following text on the top line for it to be recognised as a DHD: "::DHD::"
- Line 2 - Stargate Name: This is the gate which the DHD works for. It can open portals both to and from this gate.
- Line 3 - Network Name: This is the network which the above gate is on. This will be displayed on the DHD.
- Line 4: Must be left blank. This is whether you will select the other stargate to conenct to when using the DHD.
A DHD will look like the top screenshot below.
To use it, walk up to it and right click it to cycle forward though the available destinations (bottom screenshot below).
When you have selected the destiantion you wish to use, left click the DHD to open the wormhole.
One person (either yourself or anyone else) can then use the portal in either direction without restrictions. The portal will close after one person travels though it, or after a period of inactivity.