It is currently Sat Nov 18, 2017 1:39 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 
 Post subject: Naming and Repercussions
PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 11:23 pm 
High Warden
High Warden

A particular user has found their account suspended for 'inappropriate behaviour' during today's stress test, and Gaile Gray (ArenaNet Support Liaison) has responded to say:
Quote:
It wasn’t your behavior, but your offensive name that resulted in the block. Our policy is clearly stated in the Rules of Conduct. There are repercussions to bad behavior. If you choose an offensive name the character will be flagged for renaming and you will be give a few days time-out. That time-out will escalate if there are further bad choices.

finally, a developer who not only enforces naming rules - but does so with actual enforcement, rather than a gentle slap on the wrist.

https://www.guildwars2.com/en/legal/gui ... of-conduct
https://www.guildwars2.com/en/legal/gui ... ing-policy

edit to add:
twitter confirmation: 72 hours for first offence. even during headstart.
http://twitter.com/GuildWars2/status/239267400678244352

Last edited by Rielthiere on Sat Aug 25, 2012 2:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: Naming and Repercussions
PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 12:13 am 

Just out of interest, what offensive name did you use? ;)

Kitsunegari -- Huntress, 100; Weaponsmith
Safirlotus -- Minstrel, (65+); Scholar
Skullrend -- Guardian, (52+); Jeweller
Nareraumo -- LM, (40+); Yeoman

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 1:06 am 
High Warden
High Warden

it wasn't actually me - all my names are going to be similar in style to what i'm using in LotRO :P

i don't know what the name was specifically that the person tried to use, but their description was that it was 'mild language' (which, they argued, is covered by the age rating on the game itself.) the GW2 forums censored the word to 'kitten' which is standard for most swearing/crude language on their forums. the same user gave AssPunch as a second example, which got past the filters - but would probably be banned in-game anyway due to it being 'inappropriate action in regards to human anatomy' (or whatever the exact wording is on the naming rules :P) the player had made the character and run around the world for 5 minutes, and on logging out got an error message at character selection. after relogging their account, they found the block in place. hardly enough time for a report, much less for a GM to have time to act on it - so whatever the name was, it was caught by automated systems.

but it's nice to see that the policies will, in fact, be implemented in such a way as to make people think twice about using an inappropriate name on further attempts. i remember in LotRO, a long time back, someone bragging about how a GM had contacted him about an inappropriate name, and he managed to get the GM to issue him with another name which was again inappropriate - but the GM hadn't the wit to understand it, and found himself dealing with the same player a few days later because of another report. the only punishment was another change of name (though this time to something that wasn't in any way inappropriate.)

edit - there are a few people making the same complaint about being suspended, though none denying that they had used something inappropriate, so this isn't an isolated fluke but instead a system actually working effectively :)

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 4:35 pm 
RIVEN!!!
RIVEN!!!

I love that Arenanet censor things to Kitten :-P

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ]