It is currently Tue Nov 21, 2017 6:26 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Page 1 of 2 [ 15 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Beta Weekend 20-22 July Discussion
PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2012 10:29 am 
High Warden
High Warden

Thought I'd chuck up a discussion thread specifically about the last beta weekend here. I'm particularly curious about where people intend to play during it.

I'm intending to check out WvWvW and the Asuran homeland. A floating cube of a city intrigues me :P

Also, I've realised that the guild beta server is different from the Live server - in beta we're on Boreal Station.

Post subject: Re: Beta Weekend 20-22 July Discussion
PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2012 1:23 pm 
First Marshall
First Marshall

Ok, I installed and updated the client. I was hoping I could set up atleast some settings before the beta weekend, but seems I can't log in. I hope this is as it's intended because there doesn't seem to be too much I could try to do here. :p Was really hoping to start setting up a char before the actual weekend..

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2012 1:41 pm 
High Warden
High Warden

yep, this is as intended sadly.

character creation is, like any other part of the game, subject to change (and has impact on the actual game itself, in the form of your personal story) so it would be a bit extreme to allow that to be accessible right now :P

but with the changes, it's not even possible to alter sound and graphic settings. which is a bit of a shame - the changes seem to have been implemented just today, as i checked for updates yesterday and there was nothing different then. the previous iteration of the launcher allowed you to click play, launching the game and allowing you to log in at that stage - with game music and a button to access settings. thankfully i've already abused Brya/Bal a bit to make sure i have sound set roughly where i need it to hear TS as well, but it's hard for others to do the same without access to it :P

still, doesn't mean that there's nothing you can do - what about names, intended characters, reading up on lore.... :D

http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Main_Page - if you want to dive into the wiki straight away

now for some links hal sent me some time back :P descriptions are as hal wrote them to me :)

GW Lore (the creation of the world, rise of the humans, to the fall of Ascalon and the end of the original GW)
http://www.guildwars.com/gameplay/explo ... efault.php

Now in video format :P
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2idH7BLc_-s

The Epic MOVEMENT OF THE WORLD (the transitition from the end of GW to GW2, 250 years of history and chaos)
http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/The_Mov ... _the_World

it's fair to say there's a LOT of reading on the lore, and hal actually understands it :P i've skimmed it and picked up enough to understand the general overview, hal can tell you where every kid in ascalon was during the past 250 years :P )well, you know what i mean :P)

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2012 1:59 pm 
RIVEN!!!
RIVEN!!!

Haha nice copy and paste riel. He is right though guild wars law is very deep (possibly to even tolkein depths, which considering it isn't based off any previous works or media is pretty impressive)

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2012 2:12 pm 
High Warden
High Warden

aye, i'd agree to tolkien depths, though portrayed in a different manner.

tolkien pretty much littered his texts with references to materials he had written, but hadn't published, and which have only reached the public after his death. indeed, The Children of Hurin was only published in the past few years. this has caused difficulties for people studying the history over its long existence, as the connecting thread might well be something that wasn't published at the time.

conversely, though GW1 and 2 lore is obviously still evolving, there tends to be enough material published that - with research - a dilligent student can make more complete connections. it's considerably more accessible by its very design.

this isn't, of course, an attempt to say that one is better than the other - only that they are both solidly built worlds in their own right, and though GW can be understood a little easier on the surface, there are significant depths to it for those who look at it.

and hal, copy paste was easier than trying to re-write anything :D :P

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2012 3:33 pm 
First Marshall
First Marshall

Now I know what I'm gonna be reading on my night shift. :D

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2012 3:55 pm 
RIVEN!!!
RIVEN!!!

Study hard, there will be a pop quiz ;-)

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2012 6:37 pm 
High Warden
High Warden

just make it a little more difficult than you made mine please :P

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2012 6:41 pm 
RIVEN!!!
RIVEN!!!

Don't think I ever gave you a pop quiz...though I should :P

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2012 6:45 pm 
High Warden
High Warden

you gave me a few questions here and there, very general, but enough to be a bit of a quiz :P

Page 1 of 2 [ 15 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next