The Almighty
The Almighty

SW:TOR: Tannik ~ Celandra ~ Korrun
League | Steam | Minecraft: LeoxStryker

Post subject: Re: Who still plays?
PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 9:15 pm 

Well so far the vote from the Kernuack 5/10

Norn possibly a bad choice... PLOD PLOD PLOOD PLLOOD PLLOODD

In the Norn capital , well I thought the dwares in Moria where making up for size issues but compared to the pointless running around in some of the capital buildings :shock:

Apparently having you-tubed it very early on the epic arc hits a bit where if you cannot kite the mob you get splatted, and watching the you-tubes most of the success ones seem to be running some kind of auto-face / circ mod? My norn chimp seems incapable of kiting anything and as far as parkour goes forget it. (I had soloed all but one of the bonus skill point challenges so far, the Ice Shaman one does hurt with the adds so two of us duoed that one and the wyrm one down the cave I cannot even get to work, but this ogre dude I cannot get him down past half health)

All this not helped by the slightly ott / cartoon feel of the graphics, clips always did look a bit wow to me

Mass instance event bashing is well errr one giant blob no way I can distinguish friendly / foe blast markers when 50-100 pile into the event, tatics certainly seem optional on the minor lowbie things like the Maw

The daily rewards are different, no free facebook style gift on login which in my book is a plus, very minor annoyance often I dont have enough time in any given night to get the daily rewards but guess those wreathes are not critical for casual players anyway and categories give you some suggestions what to concentrate on grinding if you dont what else to do.

But its early days yet lvl 13?14? now, I will try and stick it out for a bit longer, downloaded it on the win 8 machine and does seem a bit more fluid on that one, though last night I got several server disconnects though nothing else in the house dropped internet.

I may also need to do some shopping, PVE on level is easy enough but when my big nose takes me into higher level areas even just a couple of levels things can get hairy (not a bad thing), I need to find a comfortable viewing angle as it is very easy to be bashing around some poor mob when suddenly a group more spawn right behind and if you dont notice fast when they all start chewing your a**e it can hurt pretty quick

But the itemization is interesting I got a couple of useful lvl 6? items from a lvl 12 area last night and some of my gear is starter kit never replaced, so I may have to spend some of my hard fought coppers and do something about it. Certainly I dont feel flush with cash and maybe having to do something about your gear rather than just mindlessly using landscape drops/quests rewards all the time is no bad thing. Certainly something I had got very lazy about in LOTRO.

Mind you i salvage everything and hoard all craft components so that will be eating a few silvers away

I need to have another look at the "right hand skills" I amy be doing something wrong there as I can only have one active and tiggered per slot? Yet I keep seeing people with 4 or more active... High levels capped but keeping skills ? Some kind of macro? or just me being dumb like with the copper ore/ingots thing.

Crafting thing with the recipe invention idea, I like, though as it tells you when you have a recipe to be discovered its a zero risk process and at low tiers anyway easy to get a full set (fond memories of spells and potion making in the old amiga game)

The game feels reasponably open so far as well allowing me to be stupid and walk into higher level areas if I choose not to watch what where I am going, no artifical gating I have found so far, can do "quest" hubs in any order you choose, no having to have rescued great aunt gerties pets dogs rabbits fleas and do every single quest in the prevoius 4 regions before you are worthy of being spoken to and trusted to help against the cultists burning down the place. Which is a VERY nice change of feeling compared to the scripted feel of some recent LOTRO expansions.

Dumnomii - Chimp 100, Kiraail - Hunter 7x, Skidald - Grd 5x, Angmia - LM 4x
Skaven - RK 2x, Merrywin - Mini 8x, Kenne - Ward 3x, Xavin - Cpt 4x. Zaphyri - Burg 1x

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 12:23 pm 
The Almighty
The Almighty

Dumnomii wrote:
In the Norn capital , well I thought the dwares in Moria where making up for size issues but compared to the pointless running around in some of the capital buildings :shock:

Well I didn't want to comment on why you Norn Males feel the need to wield massive two-handed weapons, but since you raised the topic...

Dumnomii wrote:
Apparently having you-tubed it very early on the epic arc hits a bit where if you cannot kite the mob you get splatted, and watching the you-tubes most of the success ones seem to be running some kind of auto-face / circ mod? My norn chimp seems incapable of kiting anything and as far as parkour goes forget it. (I had soloed all but one of the bonus skill point challenges so far, the Ice Shaman one does hurt with the adds so two of us duoed that one and the wyrm one down the cave I cannot even get to work, but this ogre dude I cannot get him down past half health)

Well not many things can stand toe to toe with a tough enemy without outside support - Which is why Guild Wars is much more reliant on player skill than LOTRO for example. Kiting, good use of dodges, self healing abilities, and knowing which skills to have on your toolbar for a particular fight (Condition removers for example) and when to use them is key to success.

Dumnomii wrote:
Mass instance event bashing is well errr one giant blob no way I can distinguish friendly / foe blast markers when 50-100 pile into the event, tatics certainly seem optional on the minor lowbie things like the Maw

Options, turn off always show player names. Makes a huge difference to reducing screen clutter particularly during world boss events.

Dumnomii wrote:
The daily rewards are different, no free facebook style gift on login which in my book is a plus, very minor annoyance often I dont have enough time in any given night to get the daily rewards but guess those wreathes are not critical for casual players anyway and categories give you some suggestions what to concentrate on grinding if you dont what else to do.

Dailies are generally pretty reasonable, offering about 12 potential options, and you only need 5 to complete the daily (though you can freely complete the remaining categories each day for more achievement points). 4 or so of these tend to be related to various PvP areas of the game, but even if you're like me and don't engage in that, theres still plenty of choice.

The available categories are also randomised each day which adds to variety too.

Monthlies work on the same principal, but with higher targets to hit, and tiered deeds. Each tier gives points, but only a max tier completion of a category counts towards the monthly.

Dumnomii wrote:
I may also need to do some shopping, PVE on level is easy enough but when my big nose takes me into higher level areas even just a couple of levels things can get hairy (not a bad thing).

Level differencials (particularly fighting a mob higher than yourself) does result in a noticable increase in difficulty (again, unlike LOTRO)

Dumnomii wrote:
But the itemization is interesting I got a couple of useful lvl 6? items from a lvl 12 area last night and some of my gear is starter kit never replaced, so I may have to spend some of my hard fought coppers and do something about it. Certainly I dont feel flush with cash and maybe having to do something about your gear rather than just mindlessly using landscape drops/quests rewards all the time is no bad thing. Certainly something I had got very lazy about in LOTRO.

Yep, keeping your gear up to date will help tremendously. I can help you out if you need stuff crafted. Whenever ou complete a quest (Gold Heart), check with that NPC to see what they sell for Karma. They all typically sell at least one piece of gear, and that's the easiest way to kit yourself out as you level. Mob drops are hit and miss, not necessarily level or class appropriate.

Dumnomii wrote:
Mind you i salvage everything and hoard all craft components so that will be eating a few silvers away

Salvaging is a good source of crafting materials and Essences of Luck (increases magic find on your *ACCOUNT*, meaning higher chances to find rarer stuff in non-chest drops). Not to mention, often being an easy daily whenever the salvage daily enters rotation.

Dumnomii wrote:
I need to have another look at the "right hand skills" I amy be doing something wrong there as I can only have one active and tiggered per slot? Yet I keep seeing people with 4 or more active... High levels capped but keeping skills ? Some kind of macro? or just me being dumb like with the copper ore/ingots thing.

I assume you're referring to the skills to the right of your health pool? IE, buttons 6-0?

These are your utility skills:
  • 6 is a healing skill
  • 7/8/9 are general utility skills, and draw from the same pool of skills, so it's interchangeable which slot you put them in.
  • 0 is your Elite Skill. You can't unlock these until level 30.

If you haven't noticed already, you can unlock new skills my spending your skill points in the Skills & Traits tab in the Hero Panel. It sounds like you haven't done this yet?

Now, I think there may be a minimum level before you start earning a free skillpoint with a level up. But you can still get these by using Skill Point nodes on the landscape, and by consuming skill point scrolls. I'm never entirely sure where I accrue these from on my main, but i just pass these scrolls to my alts for them to gain free skillpoints.

Basically once you own a skill, you can swith what igoes in each of these slots using the ^ button above each slot (only while out of combat).

Having a really good healing skill is a massive boon for soloing. A condition removal skill to remove donditions (Such as bleeding, burning, poisoned etc) also helps, as it can cleanse off many damage-over-time abilities which can be brutal at times depending on what you're facing.

Timing the ebb and flow of battle to use your skills at the right time is what separates the good players from the bad. So for example if you can get your heal off every 30s, you need to work around that and survive appropriately in the meantime, even if that means kiting or whatnot.

Dumnomii wrote:
Crafting thing with the recipe invention idea, I like, though as it tells you when you have a recipe to be discovered its a zero risk process and at low tiers anyway easy to get a full set (fond memories of spells and potion making in the old amiga game)

There might be no "risk" as you put it, but keeping track of what you have and haven't discovered is not as easy s it may at first seem. ESPECIALLY when you're trying to maximise crafting XP gains, when you only really get XP for recipes within that particular 25-level crafting XP range.

There are still recipes in the game which will teach you a recipe instantly (ie, no discovery), a la LOTRO. Theses are mostly sold for Karma from the various Quest NPCs you meet in the world, so it's always worth keeping your eyes open.

NOTE: A character can have 2 crafting professions (max of 3 with the store purchase). You can change these at any time without losing progress (At least im pretty sure it doesnt), but its nevertheless a hassle. Thus any character can learn any recipe, even if its not their current profession.

Dumnomii wrote:
The game feels reasponably open so far as well allowing me to be stupid and walk into higher level areas if I choose not to watch what where I am going, no artifical gating I have found so far, can do "quest" hubs in any order you choose, no having to have rescued great aunt gerties pets dogs rabbits fleas and do every single quest in the prevoius 4 regions before you are worthy of being spoken to and trusted to help against the cultists burning down the place. Which is a VERY nice change of feeling compared to the scripted feel of some recent LOTRO expansions.

Yep you can go anywhere and do anything. Obviously entering higher levels can be problematic, but a really nice touch is being downscaled to the appropriate level of the area you are in, so that content is more or less still challenging and not completely trivialised. There's plenty of places to go and stuff to do, and yes, for the OCD Completionist there are deeds for completing each area (EG, Wayfarer Foothills), each region (EG, Shiverpeak Mountains) and the entire world. So there's always something to do.

That's always been an appeal to me compared to LOTRO. In Guild Wars, I can log in, decide maybe i fancy some world events, or dungeons, or story, or do some dailies, or do some questing towards world completion (slowly getting there), while lotro endgame tends to be a case of login > do daily grind (Though the Dol Amroth version certainly seems more appealing).

SW:TOR: Tannik ~ Celandra ~ Korrun
League | Steam | Minecraft: LeoxStryker

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2014 11:23 pm 

Half price in the Arenanet store until August 24th

Dumnomii - Chimp 100, Kiraail - Hunter 7x, Skidald - Grd 5x, Angmia - LM 4x
Skaven - RK 2x, Merrywin - Mini 8x, Kenne - Ward 3x, Xavin - Cpt 4x. Zaphyri - Burg 1x

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ]