Verizal on loot and difficulty

Where to find your shiny loot, and help us compile our community respected loot lists!
Aedfrith

Verizal on loot and difficulty

Post by Aedfrith » Wed Dec 11, 2013 9:57 am

https://www.lotro.com/forums/showthread ... ost7033051

Things will get harder (thank Eru).

https://www.lotro.com/forums/showthread ... ost7033058

Devs are aware of RNG fail, and also know that only certain gold jewels drop.

Verizal, Jinjaah and RockX should all get pie.

No pie for DevilledEgg though (who seems to have acquired a new forum nickname - Scrambled Egg :p)
Aedfrith - Yarrr! | Aldnoth - Respect mah authoritah!| Hrolfdan - Buurrp! | Rumbold - BAPPLE! | Morriarty - Yak-a-boo! | Hraldan - DORF! | Aldfryd - KYAI PAN TUO KYAI! | Aednoth - BOOM! | Rumbelina - :3 | Mishhar - Grroar!

Baz
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Re: Verizal on loot and difficulty

Post by Baz » Wed Dec 11, 2013 10:10 am

Good news indeed. I'm glad they are looking in to the "Difficulty setting", because as it stands now it is a bloody joke. Bring it on :)

Arc

Post by Arc » Wed Dec 11, 2013 4:18 pm

So they are removing Incoming Healing as a stat on items because HE "wasn't a huge fan of it"?
And resistance "has been moved primarily to PvMP, as its uses in PvE are/were very limited"?
LOLWTF?!?
I seriously wonder if Verizal has ever played a raid tank. And I say that despite knowing he was the Guardian dev. :?
Both of these attributes are incredibly useful in PvE! And I was rather proud of the well-rounded balance in stats (including these two but others as well) I had managed to achieve on my Warden, as it was working brilliantly in its finely-tuned build! And now he just goes and pisses all over two of the most useful (and in the case of resistance: versatile too) tank-related attributes in the game. Particularly since the whole threat mechanic has been b0rked to shit (so one less 'stat' to think about, really). Now of course this doesn't matter much when we can just steamroll over the kindergarten-difficulty content at the moment, but what happens if/when that changes? What then? Bad call, Verizal... really bad call. :(

And to top it all off, he's even contradicting himself. Near the end he writes:
Verizal wrote:This will change, however, and my intent is to have you be at a point where you will need to make conscious decisions on what you wear in order to progress through some of the harder challenges in the game.
Which is in direct conflict with what he wrote a bit earlier:
Verizal wrote:The big push behind the new stat groupings was largely from a standardization/progression standpoint. Yes, having large amounts of Might/Vitality on every piece of gear does make balancing things a bit easier, but the bigger reason behind this decision was the sense of growth. With previous set-ups, it was possible to get a new piece of gear of a higher item level, but still be unsure as to whether or not it was truly an upgrade due to fluctuations in stat offerings and magnitudes. To solve this, I implemented static values that correlated to class, role, and iLevel in order to provide that definite sense of progression.
So, first he's saying "let's standardise all the items to make things easier" and basically put the same stats on pretty much every item (for the same class), and then later he wants players to be forced into making "conscious decisions" about which items to wear (specifically for "harder challenges", whatever that means)?!

Sorry, but that just doesn't fly. You can't simplify, streamline and standardise everything into (easy-mode) carbon copies of each other and then try to make players choose between different items to wear before facing certain content. If the items have the SAME stats (the difference being in name only, and/or slight variation in numbers) - or worse, e.g. a necklace is a copy of a ring etc. - then there is NO choice to be made, conscious or otherwise! Not to mention that the main bulk of the players in the game are too stupid (or ignorant, or maybe just inexperienced) to actually think about attributes/item stats and choices to make, and will just keep on stacking their 'main stat' and ignoring pretty much everything else.
Verizal should realise that - IF he really wanted players to actually think and make hard choices on what gear to wear - he should provide a greater DIVERSITY of stats on items; NOT standardise them!

For one thing, I'm getting really sick and tired of seeing 'Critical Rating' on (almost) EVERY Rune-keeper item since RoR, when most (2/3 of the build options) have little to no use for it; it really only benefits lightning-specced RKs, tbh. And that's just one example...

Oh well, as if Turbine gave a toss about what players think these days anyway. They're so far disconnected from their game by now, I don't think they have the slightest clue what is a good/bad change any more.
Hey, here's an idea! Why don't they put Scrambled_Egg in charge of itemisation? Then we would end up with cool, new stats such as e.g. '50% Reduced Buff Duration', '+10 Simultaneous Clickies On-Screen' and 'On every skill use: 95% chance to put other players on Ignore and do your own thing'! :lol:

I also have a question: Will we get flying pandas with Update 12.1? :?
Archturus (the 'h' is silent!!) -- Rune-keeper, 105; Tailor
Deorwen -- Warden, 88+; Jeweller (+ Cook)
Gilbrindal -- Captain, 100; Historian
Kitsunegari -- Huntress, 100; Weaponsmith
Safirlotus -- Minstrel, (65+); Scholar
Skullrend -- Guardian, (52+); Jeweller
Nareraumo -- LM, (40+); Yeoman

Netham
First Marshall
First Marshall

Post by Netham » Wed Dec 11, 2013 6:03 pm

LOL :DD 's all I can say right now on this whole thing. I first thought "verizal" is a word to describe the really idiotic way they've done with the whole system of loot and itemization and was hoping to learn a new word.

Only choices I've so far made is do I want crit or PMR on my agi heavy gear (while dps) and the other one is how much agi/vit gear do I want instead of the vit/agi gear to balance out my aggro with the dps'ers. Great way to deal with aggro issues this itemization here. U still use same skills or gambits but now with more aggro from them! I also think I saw finesse paired with something, where is that stat anyway these days...

I had 33,x% inc heals yesterday with glorious buff so I'm not too happy about giving that away and making the healer do the extra work I could carry on my items myself.
All the Neth chars in kin except Nethoss :)

Arc

Post by Arc » Wed Dec 11, 2013 7:30 pm

I saw someone write in the thread about the idea of having the (rare) loot drops be BARTER TOKENS instead of the actual items themselves (gold necklace/pocket, in this case)! Well, I've been saying the same thing all through RoR, since they first introduced the stupid RNG loot distribution.
I really don't understand why they don't change to that system instead, if they're now so hell-bent on keeping this damn RNG crap. It would still be the same (ridiculously low) chance of getting a gold 'drop' - and slightly less so for teal - but once you luck out on that roll you get your 'gold token' or 'teal token', then go to a barter NPC and get the item YOU want (and not a duplicate of something you already have!).

They already have some different versions of this very concept present in the game: like the helm/shoulder tokens from Draigoch, and in some respect also the gemstones from the RoR "raid" cluster. Get some barter item, go to NPC, get item. Simple, and ppl are happy. :)
Archturus (the 'h' is silent!!) -- Rune-keeper, 105; Tailor
Deorwen -- Warden, 88+; Jeweller (+ Cook)
Gilbrindal -- Captain, 100; Historian
Kitsunegari -- Huntress, 100; Weaponsmith
Safirlotus -- Minstrel, (65+); Scholar
Skullrend -- Guardian, (52+); Jeweller
Nareraumo -- LM, (40+); Yeoman