The Tower of Orthanc (ToO)

Help & Advice for Raids
Hardist
Man-At-Arms
Man-At-Arms

Re: The Tower of Orthanc (ToO)

Post by Hardist » Fri Feb 03, 2012 10:31 am

Danfast wrote:But if we wipe 3-4 times it will never work as we are all humans and therefore have emotions and our fate in both ourselves and the group gets lower and lower with each wipe.
I will have to disagree on this. Wiping means the next time you know what to do different, since you did something wrong. It encourages me that when we wipe, to do it all over, and even after 30 wipes, still being able to do it. With each wipe I don't lose fate, I gain more and more fate untill we are finally able to do it. I hate PUGs where people leave after a wipe, people don't realise that sometimes it doesn't work and it doesn't always work the very first time. Main thing I hate about pugs.

But yes, whatever you do, be determined and try not to let your team down, and try even harder and better after each and every wipe. Pots, Tokens, Scrolls, anything can be re-made. Repairs, don't worry about those, a few gold is nothing in this game. Sure, it costs a lot of time, sometimes, but we shouldn't let time defeat us, we're ahead of time ;)

Hardist - Champion / Vendication - Guardian / Cuteron - Burglar / Deathron - Captain / Elmormo - Rune Keeper

Danfast
Second Marshall
Second Marshall

Post by Danfast » Fri Feb 03, 2012 10:41 am

I agree on the pugs thing. And wasn't really talking about myself on this one cause I usually stay till the end even if I'm 2 hours later then UK time.
Unfortunately not all people are like this and if you lose an important class is harder to continue (not speaking if you lose more then one). DPS is never an issue, but healers or CC are, even tanks these days.
Danfast - 85 Gu
Elenarwen - 85 Lm
Elenad - 85 Ch
Healerosi - 85 Mi
Kapetanos - 85 Ca
Hrethgir - 85 Bu
Falaim - 26 Hu
Beryc - 15 Rk
Failmeister - 14 Wd

Hardist
Man-At-Arms
Man-At-Arms

Post by Hardist » Fri Feb 03, 2012 10:45 am

True, and you are right, not everyone is like this unfortunately, but I am sure with some good spirit and positive thinking we will keep our heads and minds together and we will not fail. Great to see that even if you are 2 hours later than UK time, you're still staying. That is indeed what I was talking about.

Sorry for barging in in this topic btw ;) Just wanted to share my positive thinking (Veni shhhh :P) :D

Hardist - Champion / Vendication - Guardian / Cuteron - Burglar / Deathron - Captain / Elmormo - Rune Keeper

Grim
Captain General
Captain General

Post by Grim » Fri Feb 03, 2012 6:07 pm

Not at all hardist, all opinions welcome! I tend to agree with you on the wiping side of things - Ive been a raid leader since the release of OD and have come to appreciate constant wiping in difficult and new raids. Every death teaches you something and its by far the best way to develop tactics and improve as a player imo! Of course I understand the frustrations of not making much progress though, hopefully we'll start making progress in t2 orthanc soon!
Grimhelmd - 75 Guardian
Turrion - 75 Captain
Tergon - 75 Loremaster
Terrann - 20 Warden
Grimthryd - 20 Champion
Grimharl - 9 Minstrel
Grimfoil - 1 Burglar

Aedfrith

The Tower of Orthanc (ToO) ACID TRASH TIER 2

Post by Aedfrith » Mon Mar 05, 2012 9:23 pm

[From Lob (Element Zero) - key thing is that *wargs can be stunned from stealth by burgs*]

Ok, what works for us on Acid trash is as follows;
Pull 1.
2 Wargs
4 Orcs
4-8 Slugs
(BRGs can mez from stealth without adaptation effecting it (double stun in-effect)

BRGs stun 1 Warg and 2 Orcs, LM stuns another Orc and 1 GRD picks up the free Orc...

2nd GRD picks up the loose Warg, Oath-breaker, Startaling Twist the Warg (Stun lock on the Wargs is imperative, CJ after if needed), DPS it down, rinse and repeat on the 2nd Warg, BRGs re mez Orcs..2nd tank picks up any loose ones..

Once both Wargs are dead we retreat to the corridor... both tanks stay at the mouth of the corridor into the first room, DPS further in and finally Minis, RK, LM at the back... this creates 2 walls that the slugs have to go through and there less likely to one shot the heavy's...

AOE, Stun, Kill the Slugs when they come...as fast as poss...

Kill Orcs, trash done - don't be scared of using big cool-downs obviously...

Pull 2.

3-4 Wargs i think... (Stun all the Wargs)
4 Orcs (2nd GRD picks up what cant be stunned, once their all on the GRD, get the LM to root them all together somewhere.

Rinse and repeat the above, but use the space... when slugs come pop cool downs and don't bunch up - Wargs go first - assign a BRG to stun lock each Warg... Tank kites the orcs or LM roots them out the way...

Other points;

You will need insane DPS, as time is against you anyone slacking will let the group down and increase the chances of deaths... we normally get the first wave of slugs after we've killed both Wargs and 1 Orc... both pulls.

Hope it helps.
Aedfrith - Yarrr! | Aldnoth - Respect mah authoritah!| Hrolfdan - Buurrp! | Rumbold - BAPPLE! | Morriarty - Yak-a-boo! | Hraldan - DORF! | Aldfryd - KYAI PAN TUO KYAI! | Aednoth - BOOM! | Rumbelina - :3 | Mishhar - Grroar!

Obion
Loading…

Post by Obion » Sun Mar 11, 2012 2:47 am

Lore-Master class traits for Saruman and Orthanc raid

Yellow
* Fast loader
* Improved sign of power: Command
* Study of Fire-Lore
* Study of Frost-Lore (Change it to deep-lore to increase number of debuffed targets for the rest of ToO. Mobs still have to be grouped up closely to effect all but better a slim chance than none)
* Power and Wisdom

Blue
* Light of Hope. -10 seconds CD better than the more morale healing that Healer brings, and less morale cost for you on use.
Have some thoughts about the rest of ToO. I usually go for Proof against all ills. Problem is that it makes my wound/desease removal skill to only work within the group I'm in. Sure it removes for whole group within 25 meters but it also negates any possibilities for me to remove it for the other 6 people. Think I'm gonna go for Light of Hope insted throughout ToO next time. Everyone should be able to pot wound/desease anyway...

Red - Optional
* Master of the staff (this is mainly for +5% extra morale and some stun chance)
You can choose to go for Wind-Lore if you want the increase miss chance debuff Gust of Wind skill brings. Or Light of Hope to better help out with heals.
Miss chance: Gust Of wind + trait 10%, Raven skill Distraction 10%, Fire-Lore with trait 7% = 27%. Add 2% with Warding Knowledge and you have a pretty decent miss chance debuff.
So tanks, if possible, when you see a LM put that orange ring on the floor. Try keep the enemy inside it. We don't do it just because it looks cool. It also increases tactical damage with 10%, but since most DPS'ers do physical damage that part is not really helpful.

Legendary
* Sword and staff (+300 morale, increased evade and parry. Having the extra stat buffs a good sword brings is always good)
* March of the ents
* Force of will

Virtues
Go for max morale, resistanse, armour value and mitigations

Pet
* Raven or Spirit of Nature
Raven for the 10% miss chanse debuff skill and 1k something increased tactical mitigation for your group. Spirit for the 5% morale return of damage on target to help out with with heals. I usually go for the Raven.

Got an idea to implement my bear in trash kills. Especially when fighting wargs and things in the pits. Only reason is to increase the time they don't attack party members. Bear has high threat level and force taunts that could keep wargs from the group a while longer. Have to try it someday.

When main Saruman activates, middle dude, during phase 3 slap frost-lore on him and try and keep it on as much as possible. -25% tactical damage is pretty nice.

Oh and resistanse food. Use it.
Last edited by Obion on Sun Mar 11, 2012 12:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Grim
Captain General
Captain General

Post by Grim » Sun Mar 11, 2012 5:24 am

Interesting stuff obi, especially the bit about the bear - good idea, might have to try that sometime!

Also was just wondering about using the 'healer' trait; am I right in thinking that it gives -15% power cost om healing and power restore skills? Though that would be more useful for power sharing etc?
Grimhelmd - 75 Guardian
Turrion - 75 Captain
Tergon - 75 Loremaster
Terrann - 20 Warden
Grimthryd - 20 Champion
Grimharl - 9 Minstrel
Grimfoil - 1 Burglar

Obion
Loading…

Post by Obion » Sun Mar 11, 2012 10:16 am

Exactemundo Grim.

Healer lowers the power cost And raises amount shared power and morale when using skills Share the Power and Beacon of hope. Nice things but the -10% cd with Light of Hope is what I am aiming for.

Last time we failed up there I really wished I had it because beacon of hope was on cd too long and latest run I had better use of it. If people stop taking as much damage rethinking is in order.

Sharing more power is good. But with a 75 2:nd age book and the +10% power share li on your staff you already share about 1.5K per skill hit. 800 more than the skill cost.
That fixed Tactical healing li on the book increase morale and power share. Max it out.
Last edited by Obion on Sun Mar 11, 2012 12:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Netham
First Marshall
First Marshall

Post by Netham » Sun Mar 11, 2012 11:11 am

Obion wrote: When main Saruman activates, middle dude, during phase 3 slap frost-lore on him and try and keep it on as much as possible. -25% tactical damage is pretty nice.
Frost lore on Storm is pretty nice too. ;) Tho, it's best used on phase 2 because of the aoe's. He's back to a puppy in phase 3.

Also, doesn't the raven give out straight tactical mitigation? I atleast think it does. Keeps me from doing shield tactics at times because I'm so close to capping with the raven that with some exact buffs I don't need more mit at all. Anyway, the raven is a huge buff to the group. :)
All the Neth chars in kin except Nethoss :)

Obion
Loading…

Post by Obion » Sun Mar 11, 2012 12:10 pm

Right you are.
Forced me to get out of bed, start my PC an log on to lotro to confirm. Not a nice thing to do on a sunday Nethy. Changed post.

Didn't know about the storm Saruman, but will keep that in mind for the next run.