Guides & Contributions to guides being written, or that you would like to see
Balthelion
The Almighty
The Almighty
They Are Billions

What You Should Know About Playing With... Hunters

Post by Balthelion » Tue Jul 19, 2011 11:05 am

Roles:
The Hunter is a ranged DPS class. It can trait to perform a moderate CC role, but this comes at the cost of not being able to play the DPS role.

Combat Style:
The Hunter has a combat flow system called Focus. This is a bar which goes from 0-9. Some attacks increase Focus, while others require focus in order to be used. This means that hunters tend to fight in a cycle where they will execute a few attacks to build focus, then use their generally harder-hitting attacks which consume focus.

Offense:
Hunters have the best range in the game - 40m. This means that they can deal massive damage to a mob before it reaches them (or the group). Hunters primarily use ranged attacks to deal damage. Most of their focus building skills are induction based. This means that if one or more mobs on the hunter, their DPS output can be significantly lowered.

Hunters also have a number of melee of melee attacks. Many Hunters make the mistake of ignoring melee skills altogether because they are a "ranged" class. This is a huge mistake - All skills, including melee have their uses. It should be noted however that melee skills are more utility-based than DPS-based.

Defense:
The Hunter works best when fighting at ranged - although melee range is fine and indeed preferable as long as they do not have agro. In short, they do not want any mobs hitting them, as this impacts on their ability to DPS by setting back focus-building inductions. Hunters can and should build a decent Parry rating. Not only does this help to reduce the chance you will be hit - and thus get induction setbacks - but this will trigger a parry response allowing the use if the Agile Rejoinder skill. This is a high damage melee skill that never misses on-level, and cannot be blocked, parried, or evaded. Combined with the Agile Rejoinder Heal Chance minor legacy on a melee weapon, you can add a 100% heal chance on this legacy which gives you a heal over time which equates to about 500-600 morale at lv65. Hunters can also use the Swift Stroke melee skill to provide a massive buff to Parry Rating enabling this skill to be activated more often. With luck and correct usage, you can permanently keep this heal up (Agile Rejoinder has a 10s cd).

Stances:
Hunters have three combat stances:

Strength Stance increases ranged damage at the expense of increased power costs. It also comes with the (dis)advantage of increased threat generation from skills. This is generally not used in groups unless the hunter is range tanking.
Precision Stance reduces the targets chance to block or evade, and the chance that a Hunter's attacks will miss. It has no penalties. This is useful when attacking mobs of a much higher level to balance out misses.
Endurance Stance decreases power costs and reduces threat generation. This is the best stance for Hunters in groups except in rare circumstances.

Poison Removal:
Hunters have a skill called Purge Posion which removes poisons from themselves or an ally and gives a temporary boost to Poison Resistance. This skill can be spammed, and means that in poison-heavy environments, hunters are required to support the group by removing everyones posions.

Power Efficiency:
Hunters are incredibly power efficient if played correctly. Even after Strength of Earth got nerfed they are still capable of being totally power self-sufficient. But by utilising all the skills at hand, they can still last forever. In addition to Power Pots (2m cd) Hunters can also use several skills to restore power. Strength of Earth (90s cd) restores power over 5s equal to a moderate potion. Beneath Care (3m cd with legacy) reduces perceived threat by 60% for 10s and restores power over time 20s equal to a moderate potion. Intent Concentration (3m cd with legacy) (when traited for Deep Concentration) restores power equal to a moderate potion. Trating the Bow of the Righteous Legendary trait restores a fixed amount of power with every attack, which is a higher % return if you are in Endurance Stance (14 power per attack for a skill that costs 20 power in endurance is a better % return than the same skill costing 40 power in Strength). Endurance Stance reduces power costs by 10% (20% if traited).

Crowd Control:
Hunters are not a CC class, but have several skills that can be used as "Off-CC".
Rain of Thorns (Legendary Trait): Is an AoE root skill, basically like a Hunter's Rain of Arrows but with a 3m cd.
Bards Arrow (Legendary Trait): Is an induction-based bow skill that shoots an arrow to fear the target for 15s with a 30s cd.
Cry of the Predator: A shout only usable on beasts which will fear the target for 10s with a 1m cd.
Distracting Shot: This arrow will stun the target for 10s with a 3m cd. This skill is significantly upgraded by traiting down the yellow (CC) traitline + capstone. However as mentioned previously CC is best left to a proper CC class if available as a Hunter's DPS will be crippled in this traitline.
Set Trap: Deploys a trap on the floor (lasts 1m) which will root an enemy until it expires. Not usable in-combat unless traited. Upgraded by traiting yellows.

Porting:
Hunters are able to swiftly travel to many of the major locations in middle earth with their travelling skills. These skills require 2-5 Travelling rations from the hunter, and allow any nearby members in the hunter's fellowship to get ported as well (Does not work on other fellowships if in a raid). Fellows who wish to travel with the hunter will see a yes/no type dialogue to travel, and do not need travel rations in order to be ported. These skills have no cooldowns.

Tracking:
Hunters have three tracking skills (on shared cooldowns) which enable and mob type in the game to be tracked. These are Passage of Nature (Beasts, Animals, Insects, Huorns etc), Passage of Foes (Evil Men, Humanoids etc) & Passage of Shadow (Ancient Evil, Wights, Undead etc). Hunters can also trait Heightened Senses to improve their tracking skills and their ranges, as well as enabling them to track stealthed targets.

Campfires:
Hunters have a skill called Bright Campfire which places a campfire on the ground for 3m. This skill has a 3m cd. The campfire boosts out-of-combat morale and power regeneration, and can also be used for cooking food!

Corruption Removal:
Hunters have two skills for removing corroptions. The first is Merciful Shot. This is a ranged bow skill that requires the target to be at or under 50% maximum morale, and requires 6 focus (Focus cost can be incrementally reduced by 1 every time Swift Bow is used when Swift Mercy is traited). This skill removes up to three corruptions, and has a 30s cd (20s with legacy).

The second skill is a melee skill called Dazing Blow. This can soft-stun the target for 5s in addition to removing up to three corruptions. This skill has a 1m cooldown.

Interupts:
Hunter's are not particularly useful when it comes to interupts. Blindside is in fact an interupt (and has been since F2P launch, although the tooltip still hasn't been updated). This is the hunters main interupt, though obviously requires melee range on the target. The only other alternatives are using your stuns/fears.
GW2: Taikken ~ Vasuuki ~ Artuura
EVE: Marcus Rushe
SW:TOR: Tannik ~ Celandra ~ Korrun
League | Steam | Minecraft: LeoxStryker

Dumnomii

Re: What You Should Know About Playing With... Hunters

Post by Dumnomii » Tue Jul 19, 2011 2:06 pm

Nice guide but at the moment I am doing something really wrong as I am not self sutaining in power!

Ok I have yet to get Bow of Righteous which should be a major improvement, but I triat press onward as i have the slot free for another 1k power boost useable in combat (slow induction but when on a boss fight and out of blue I would only get a couple of auto attacks in anyway)

beneath care is a lvl 64 skill so dont have that yet

But I noticed in DN cattiwen was running out of power as fast as me! So im not the only hunter struggling with keeping pow up.

Another useful secondary CC skill for hunters is dazing blow, im often sat at the back next to healers and if a mob does break free its only a 5sec stun but helps, and solo allows you to get off a high induction attack.

And low cut as a prelude to kiting or running away with its 50% snare, as you said the melee skills of a hunter are very useful utility even if they do not do high dps.

Dumnomii - Chimp 100, Kiraail - Hunter 7x, Skidald - Grd 5x, Angmia - LM 4x
Skaven - RK 2x, Merrywin - Mini 8x, Kenne - Ward 3x, Xavin - Cpt 4x. Zaphyri - Burg 1x

Balthelion
The Almighty
The Almighty
They Are Billions

Post by Balthelion » Tue Jul 19, 2011 2:56 pm

Dumnomii wrote:Nice guide but at the moment I am doing something really wrong as I am not self sutaining in power!

Ok I have yet to get Bow of Righteous which should be a major improvement, but I triat press onward as i have the slot free for another 1k power boost useable in combat (slow induction but when on a boss fight and out of blue I would only get a couple of auto attacks in anyway)

beneath care is a lvl 64 skill so dont have that yet

But I noticed in DN cattiwen was running out of power as fast as me! So im not the only hunter struggling with keeping pow up.
Getting decent gear, relics etc once you hit level cap goes a long way. Other than that, follow what I said under power efficiency and you should be fine - just combine as many of those tricks as possible. And don't use strength stance :)

Kokori
Footman
Footman

Post by Kokori » Tue Aug 02, 2011 8:48 pm

I pretty much suck at poison removal ... my assumption was I just select the person who needs poison removed, and spam it - but repeatedly, that didn't seem to work. Is there some sort of range for it work?

Balthelion
The Almighty
The Almighty
They Are Billions

Post by Balthelion » Tue Aug 02, 2011 11:13 pm

Select target, click skill, poison is removed at the start of the animation.

Remember that the skill removes poisions of up to X strength. Basically, you can happily remove statuses of any mobs on level or perhaps slightly higher. The exception being mirkwood where ~62+ you will be useless unless you buy the upgraded version of the skill from your trainer.

Aedfrith

Post by Aedfrith » Wed Aug 03, 2011 9:14 am

Worth knowing that the poison removal skill takes quite a while. Hence in library with all those pesky pale-folk a hunter isn't pewing as much as they might be. Even so, it is important to remove poisons, particularly in NCF, library and the DN and OD raids, where un-removed poisons can be *nasty*.
Aedfrith - Yarrr! | Aldnoth - Respect mah authoritah!| Hrolfdan - Buurrp! | Rumbold - BAPPLE! | Morriarty - Yak-a-boo! | Hraldan - DORF! | Aldfryd - KYAI PAN TUO KYAI! | Aednoth - BOOM! | Rumbelina - :3 | Mishhar - Grroar!

Obion
Away

Post by Obion » Wed Aug 03, 2011 10:09 am

Kokori wrote:I pretty much suck at poison removal ... my assumption was I just select the person who needs poison removed, and spam it - but repeatedly, that didn't seem to work. Is there some sort of range for it work?
Found that some poison can't be removed. For example poison cloud from the boss spider in NCF and fumerols in DN.
And yes there is a limit to the range.
Aedfrith wrote:Worth knowing that the poison removal skill takes quite a while. Hence in library with all those pesky pale-folk a hunter isn't pewing as much as they might be. Even so, it is important to remove poisons, particularly in NCF, library and the DN and OD raids, where un-removed poisons can be *nasty*.
Conserning library
Have you tried class traits for poison removal on whole group? Down side is that one looses some other good traits but since hunters are doing alot of poison removal in Library, the dps won't be high anyway. But this way you only need to apply once for whole group and can shoot more often.

Aedfrith

Post by Aedfrith » Wed Aug 03, 2011 10:20 am

True about traiting ob, but then you lose a LOT of dps. NO hunter in their right mind traits yellow; it gimps the class. I tend to wait until fellows have 3 poisons (unless one is the eye one) and remove.

Also, I don't want to retrait for a simple library run :-P
Aedfrith - Yarrr! | Aldnoth - Respect mah authoritah!| Hrolfdan - Buurrp! | Rumbold - BAPPLE! | Morriarty - Yak-a-boo! | Hraldan - DORF! | Aldfryd - KYAI PAN TUO KYAI! | Aednoth - BOOM! | Rumbelina - :3 | Mishhar - Grroar!

Balthelion
The Almighty
The Almighty
They Are Billions

Post by Balthelion » Wed Aug 03, 2011 6:23 pm

Aedfrith wrote:NO hunter in their right mind traits yellow
...yet.

Hardric
The Elhirphant
The Elhirphant

Post by Hardric » Thu Aug 04, 2011 1:31 pm

Stay strong Bal - remember the NDA ;)

Think I might start levelling my Hunt if they can play support as well as DPS in the update 8-)

H
In the world before Monkey, primal chaos reigned.

http://my.lotro.com/home/character/2550 ... 377944157/

Mains (75): Elhiredriel/Elharwen/Felgard/Hardric
Levelling: Elhirphant/Ashrisa/Elhiras
Alts: Feldin/Hardalin