Class: Rune-keeper

Guides & Contributions to guides being written, or that you would like to see
Egelinath
Hard Boiled
Hard Boiled

Re: Class: Rune-keeper

Post by Egelinath » Mon Aug 15, 2011 1:32 pm

So, here's some thought with regards to the DPS side of RK lives:

This guide will focus on how to achieve MAX DPS (Lightning). Tol date, I haven't been much impressed with Fire DPS and when that day comes, I'll post a separate guide for it.

Now lets look at DPS build for mostly PvE.

A: Class Traits:

1) Harsh Debate.
2) Closing Remarks.
3) Tale of the Storm.
4) Thunderous Words.
5) Master of Tragedy.
6) Master of Connotation.
7) Linnod of Subtlety.

A1: Moors Traits:
1) Swap out 'Thunderous Words' for 'Icy Discourse'.
2) Swap out 'Master of Tragedy' for 'Thunderous Words' ONLY if you are grouped with a Captain.
3) Keep the rest traits same as PvE.

B: Legendary Traits:

1) Martial Training.
2) You Shall Fall to our Wrath.
3) Perfect Imagery.

C: Legendary Items

Getting the right Lightning rock can be very stressful, but once you get it, DPS will be tons better. Let me stress on the *AFFINITY* of the rock, it does not matter which Affinity you have. By simply swapping a different Affinity stone, you can use a preferred Weapon Armament buff on yourself(use it on self if you are SOLO only) or can put it on a group member and then swap your main DPS rock back . It's always good to have a Fire and a Lightning rock, 1 Affinity for healing and 1 for DPSing, regardless, any of them can be used in either.

Getting that sorted out, let's talk about the passives needed on the stone which are good to have but not very essential. I will go in order of their importance.

1) Tactical crit.
2) Raw power.
3) Will/Fate

Now lets have a look at the legacies needed for MAX DPS, if you don't have them, you are just wasting your time in empowering and maxing a stone. As again I will go in a order of their importance.

1) Fury of the Storm Critical.
2) Fury of the Storm Damage.
3) Battled-Attuned Skill Power Cost.

Now those were the 'Must-to-haves'. After leveling those 3 main legacies, must take Stone's Tactical Rank to 19 and start working on the utility legacies after the rank is maxed. Now let's take a look at the utility legacies.

4) Penetrate Target Resistance.
5) Wrath of Flame Damage Over Time.
6) Chill/Fire + Damage.
7) Steady Attuned Skill Power Cost or a Stat Scroll of your preference.
8) Chill of Winter Debuff Duration. (THIS IS JUST FOR MOORS, Never go to the moors without it, period).

DPS Bag:

Many RKs don't use DPS bags as they practically increase very little DPS because of the Tactical Damage Relic and increases Scribe's Spark damage up by 20% if you have the legacy. Should always level a bag just for the increase in DPS. Here are the legacies needed:

1) Scribe's Spark Damage.
2) Chilling Rhetoric Cooldown. (As again, don't go to BG and Moors without it)
3) Self-Motivation Power Return.
4) Pulses Prelude to Hope.
5) Distracting Winds Cooldown. (Don't go to Moors without it)
6) Shocking Words Stun Chance. (Not needed for most PvE content but don't go to Moors without it, period).
7) Nothing else needed, if you do have a extra slot, a stat scroll of your preference.

hereszy
Footman
Footman

Post by hereszy » Sat Aug 20, 2011 12:59 pm

fancy posting the runes for dps/heal stone/bag? :) to check if i got em right
Toons: Hereszy 65 Elf Runekeeper SM Scholar

nostborn
Disturber of the Peace
Disturber of the Peace

Post by nostborn » Sat Aug 20, 2011 2:22 pm

There is no right or wrong little grasshopper, only the path to walk, look to yourself and you will find the answer you seek.

Ok in other words there is no right or wrong, go for something that complemants your build,
EvE - Nostborn Amatin / Steam - Nostborn / Raptr - Nostborn

https://zkillboard.com/character/93160905/

Flairin
Thunder-god
Thunder-god

Post by Flairin » Sat Aug 20, 2011 4:50 pm

i agree with nost there, like for example on my RKs relics i built some extra morale since i have a good amount of power and some hefty power regen, so i found that more morale was more useful for almost every situation, and of course i didnt forget my crit and offence, you just have to take relcis etc that give you what YOU need
Flairin lvl 75 Rune-Keeper
Elthendir lvl 75 Hunter
Deagorn lvl 75 Champion
Thorelin lvl 72 Guardian
Delbrand lvl 65 Burglar
Eldrial lvl 46 Minstrel
Altheo lvl 46 Warden
Arthurion lvl 26 Captain
Isildun lvl 20 Lore Master

hereszy
Footman
Footman

Post by hereszy » Thu Aug 25, 2011 11:04 am

i dont agree with these coments, but i wont ask for anymore help either
i think that a player is better for their skill on how to play not on his gear/equip
while wasting time and money and effort in the wrong relics can be a big disappointment
Toons: Hereszy 65 Elf Runekeeper SM Scholar

nostborn
Disturber of the Peace
Disturber of the Peace

Post by nostborn » Thu Aug 25, 2011 11:21 am

hereszy, i havent said you need great gear, however we have pointed out the Raid gear you COULD use if you wanted to. I would agree to a certain degree on it being player skill. The relics for legendary items, we have all said go for ones that complement your build, short on fate? well put relics that give extra fate! As for legacys it depends how you like to play, whether you like the DoT damage and debuffs or you want to go for full on all out crit magnitude.

What i said in my previous post applies for pretty much anything, as long as when your 65 you look for 60 plus gear that suits you you will be fine. All i suggest from my experience is try to either stack morale or stack vit, let will and fate drop to about 600 (if you in a group this usually goes up to 650 with either a mini or cappy)

I personally set my RK up for PvP survivability, high max morale decent power pool. this has since changed since using RK more for raids but i only use 3 raid armour peices at the minute. I Use DN helm, chest and boots along side riders legs from ncf, the book 3 shoulders and cloak of the ravens claw. if you want to have a look at my stats please have a poke through my.lotro stuff and take a look none of it is really high end raid stuff. (i have a BG chest piece yet wont use it until i can either get another DN piece to keep my 3 set bonus.)

Hardric
The Elhirphant
The Elhirphant

Post by Hardric » Thu Aug 25, 2011 11:26 am

Very true Nost, but probably best to ignore stat caps from now on in. If you are saving up to craft a nice relic or rune, aim for the one that adds to your RoI main stat, unless some of your other stats really need attention.

H
In the world before Monkey, primal chaos reigned.

http://my.lotro.com/home/character/2550 ... 377944157/

Mains (75): Elhiredriel/Elharwen/Felgard/Hardric
Levelling: Elhirphant/Ashrisa/Elhiras
Alts: Feldin/Hardalin

andrac
Danger Mouse
Danger Mouse

Post by andrac » Tue Jun 05, 2012 8:18 am

Can i ask for one update on this topic please? Getting close to Moria instances very soon :))
Andracy - Mins 100 (tailor) | Andrady - RK 100 (scholar) | Andracya - Burg 100 (weaponsmith) | Andrac - Hunt 100 (woodworker) | Gabytza LM 100 (jeweller) | Anduta - Warden 100 (jeweller)

nostborn
Disturber of the Peace
Disturber of the Peace

Post by nostborn » Sun Jun 17, 2012 4:34 pm

OK, First draft will be re reading and adding more/making it more readable as well as adding the skills and combinations later. Added the Virtues and Class traits, next is Legendary traits. Need to add more of an overview to healing

Overview
Rune Keepers are a very Versatile Class with the ability to heal or Dps and if traited can even switch between both in battle when the need calls for it. Rune keepers have massive tactical damage attacks that will do a lot of damage in a single burst or they can conserve power and stack damage over time on their target and de-buff them. Rune Keepers also have the ability to cause large scale AoE damage using a combination of their skill trees which is very effective as long as you are sensible with it. The Rune keeper uses light armour making it squishy however with the range of utility skills it has makes it very useful within groups and raids.

Strengths/Weaknesses
The Rune Keepers main strengths are its ability to Heal and deal Damag. An RK can quickly swap to healing to save a group from a wipe if the main healer dies or to provide some assistance. A Rune keeper can De-Buff an enemy and gain distance in order to stay safe from attacks as well as deal damage while at range as the armour of the rune keeper is one of its major flaws. The Healing stone that the rune keeper can drop is a great way to take multiple mobs at the same time to prevent you having too many attacking you at the same time. The stone agro's some mobs and provides light healing for you as well. The Rune Keeper now has the ability to Buff targets within the group when healing as well as buff the entire group to provide higher resistances.

The light armour does mean the class cannot take much punishment at close range but with the de-buffs and high damage of the class you can easily get into kiting for the harder mobs about. The Rune Keeper also has to be prepared to be patient with the Pulls as pulling too many will result in being killed even with the stone out. You have 3 types of damage although this give variety some of the bosses in instances are resistant to a damage type (1st boss in SG resistant to fire, 2nd boss in SG resistant to Lightning) so you have to make sure you realise early or plan accordingly

Roles In Groups
Rune Keepers as stated can fill 2 rolls within groups Healer or Ranged DpS, When traited for DpS there are multiple ways to trait across two trait lines, Fire and Lightning, these lines are both very different and will depend on the play style you enjoy more. Fire consists of a more patient Damage over Time style building Tiers to deal more damage per tick and using these DoT’s to deal higher damage with different skills (see skill combinations) and the lightning tree allows for Massive damage, De Buffs and Stuns for more single targets. I will explain more about the traits and how they are used in the next section of this guide along with skills and combinations. The Healing tree increase healing and reduce induction times of many skills and when healing it’s all about stacking healing over time effects on the group while you use your resistance skills to reduce the amount of wounds and poisons. Healing is all about getting rotations right and being able to get to the higher tiers of the writ of health and focusing on single targets when they need the healing. The healing tree also comes with Morale Bubbles to prevent damage giving time and also more group heals and power returns to the Rune Keeper.

Guide to Every Skills and Traits
Virtues for the Rune Keeper can change depending on your play style so I wont outline the ones to use. The standard is for morale, resistance and mitigations.

Lightning Traits(Solitary Thunder Line) I would consider the best to level up with as they deal a lot more damage and are generally in my opinion easier to use. Any combination of these will give desired damage out put the only change is whether you trait for Critical hit ratings or stun chance. The set bonuses for this line is geared towards crit chances and reducing cool downs of some of your better lightning skills eventually increasing run speed.
Thunderous Words – A 15% chance to buff you with thunderous words which will increase your Finesse for 20 seconds
Harsh Debate – A 15% chance to put the Harsh Debate Buff on you to increase tactical damage for 20 seconds
Closing Remarks – Epic Conclusion cool down reduced by 1 minute and gains 15% damage and critical rating per harsh debate or thunderous words buff you have on yourself.
Tale of the Storm – Another self buff, this time giving a 15% chance for the charged runes buff to increase critical chance by 10% for 10 seconds
Winter Storm – minus 5% chill of winter power cost and each chill of winter skill used will stack a winter storm buff on you, every 5 of these will make the next fury of storm skill instantly crit
Icy Discourse – Chilling Rhetoric will cause you to become charged, causing sustaining bolt to become free or essence of storm to deal 50% more damage on a critical hit.
Confounding Principles – Increase the Daze time on shocking touch by 5 seconds and increasing the chance for the stun to work well. Adds 20% to the chilling rhetoric’s initial slo and reduces the cool down of distracting winds by 30 seconds.
Master of Tragedy – For every 5 Fury of storm skills you use you can use a Writ skill instantly without a cast and the Writ will have no cool down

Skills Overview

Skill combinations/tips and tricks
While healing there are many skill combinations which are key to providing a decent set of heals to your group.
Writ of health + Mending Verse - This combination provides good healing for any person in the group, you get mending verse to give a health boost and a maximum morale bonus (if traited for it) and you stack tiers on writ of health to provide a heal over time to the player, all you then need to do is keep teir 3 writ on the player and spam mending verse.
Word of exhaltation + Epic for the ages - This is a last resort combo and is perfect for single target healing and a tank going down fast, this combo takes a bit of time to set off as epic for the ages is a long induction skill, but used well after tier 3 writ of health is up (tier 3 writ of health should be constantly up on tank regardless) this can get a tank out of a lot of danger. Provides damage mitigation combined with a big heal, This will also provide the Group with a heal the size dependant on the tier of Writ of Heal on the target.
Calming Verse before and during healing - This will reduce the power you use and reduce your perceived threat. It will also allow you to cast mending verse instantly for around 10 seconds.

Dps skill Combinations are the key to getting to the max dps the class is capable of, although there are less combinations than the healing skills they are just as easy to get right.
Tier 3 writ of fire + Essence of Flame - This combination will get the best out of essence of flame, as it will increase the damage that essence of flame will give out. Essay of fire can be used to shortcut the times of the cool downs of writ of fire, but if you can try keep tier 3 up on bosses that arent reisistant it helps.
Tier 3 Writ of Cold + Essence of winter - Similar effects as the above combo with more debuffs and less Damage over time, writ of cold is a good way to reduce attack speed of an enemy and combining it with essence adds more debufs from essence of winter at a higher rate/longer time.

Legendary Items and Legacies.

Remember the main thing for this guide is to point out some useful information however you will have to make the decision as ro how you want to play and the traits you want to take, remember learning a class takes time and no one can tell you how to play the class more give you points of view from their own experience.

I will finish this shortly

andrac
Danger Mouse
Danger Mouse

Post by andrac » Mon Jun 18, 2012 7:57 am

i have some questions

1. Word of exhaltation + Epic for the ages - This is a last resort combo and is perfect for single target healing and a tank going down fast, this combo takes a bit of time to set off as epic for the ages is a long induction skill, but used well after tier 3 writ of health is up (tier 3 writ of health should be constantly up on tank regardless) this can get a tank out of a lot of danger. Provides damage mitigation combined with a big heal, This will also provide the Group with a heal the size dependant on the tier of Writ of Heal on the target.
How can provide the group with a heal, this is an group heal?

2. The combo rune + WoH on tank and rousing words... is a group heal and will put on anyone an WoH. Now i want to ask, if i will do another rousing words in 10 sec, the WoH applied on everyone will stack with the previous, so everybody will have WoH tier 2? So if i cast rousing words 3 times in a row i will have WoH tier 3 on full party?

3. Calming Verse before and during healing - This will reduce the power you use and reduce your perceived threat. It will also allow you to cast mending verse instantly for around 10 seconds.
I noticed that RK's take aggro harder than mini. And usually when healing u have less problems with power. As regarding the mending verse when calming verse used, is not actually instant, it have a 2 sec induction at the end of the mending verse so u practicaly can spam only 5 times in 10 sec. The only bonus is that u can cast it on the move, wich is nice. But u loose attunes and i am wonder if worth using that except begining of the fight when attunement is null anyway, specially that we are speaking about perceiving threat only.
Andracy - Mins 100 (tailor) | Andrady - RK 100 (scholar) | Andracya - Burg 100 (weaponsmith) | Andrac - Hunt 100 (woodworker) | Gabytza LM 100 (jeweller) | Anduta - Warden 100 (jeweller)