Class: Warden

Guides & Contributions to guides being written, or that you would like to see
Balthelion
The Almighty
The Almighty
Loading…

Class: Warden

Post by Balthelion » Fri Apr 08, 2011 9:35 am

Contributions to the Warden Class Guide.
GW2: Taikken ~ Vasuuki ~ Artuura
EVE: Marcus Rushe
SW:TOR: Tannik ~ Celandra ~ Korrun
League | Steam | Minecraft: LeoxStryker

Aedfrith

Re: Class: Warden

Post by Aedfrith » Thu Apr 14, 2011 2:47 pm

Noticed something v interesting - the Fem set (e.g. http://lotro-wiki.com/index.php/Item:Le ... f_F%C3%A9m) is widely recommended for levels 40-47 or so, and is certainly very good for hunters. However, at level 41 my warden had the Trollshaws woodlands set (http://lorebook.lotro.com/wiki/Item:Garb_of_the_Woods) and the Gauntlets and Boots of the Oathesworn (Evendim medallion set) just before he went to Aughaire.

This combination of items gives MUCH better stats for a warden (might, vit, some agi and power) than even the full Fem set. I'm wearing those five bits, plus Belegabnir (http://lotro-wiki.com/index.php/Item:Belegabnir) and a homemade hat, at the moment as level 42.

So, in short, the Fem set is not always the best idea.

As for shields, I'm currently still wearing the Eglan-Warden shield (http://lotro-wiki.com/index.php/Item:Sh ... lan-warden) in the absence of anything better - suggestions?
Aedfrith - Yarrr! | Aldnoth - Respect mah authoritah!| Hrolfdan - Buurrp! | Rumbold - BAPPLE! | Morriarty - Yak-a-boo! | Hraldan - DORF! | Aldfryd - KYAI PAN TUO KYAI! | Aednoth - BOOM! | Rumbelina - :3 | Mishhar - Grroar!

Augrim
Sergeant of the Guard
Sergeant of the Guard

Post by Augrim » Thu Apr 14, 2011 3:05 pm

Complete list of Warden shields:

http://lotro-wiki.com/index.php/Categor ... ield_Items

At 42:

http://lotro-wiki.com/index.php/Item:Fi ... en_Soldier

Anything you lose in block rating/might/vitality from the Eglan shield is easily compensated for by an extra 180 on critical defence ratings, and over 100 morale. You lose a tiny bit of incoming healing but that's hardly a deal-breaker.

At 45:

http://lotro-wiki.com/index.php/Item:Or ... ven_Knight

(I'm sure Madrin can make all of the crafted shields, poke him!)
Augrim - 65 Champion - Supreme Metalworker
Delnir - 36 Warden
Celeborm - 35 Hunter
Spyeyes - 43 Burglar - Supreme Jeweller
Gaerun - 32 Runekeeper/Bank

Madrin
Questionable Morals
Questionable Morals

Post by Madrin » Thu Apr 14, 2011 5:52 pm

I can make all of them yea, but it's really appreciated if the appropriate mats are delivered to me for it (it's very expensive if i have to buy all of it) :)
At your service, and your family's!

Aedfrith

Virtues and Equipment?

Post by Aedfrith » Tue Apr 26, 2011 11:57 am

As wardens become higher level one thing to bear in mind is how quickly we burn through power.

I'd have thought that stuff that gives flat power bonuses, and +ICPR, would be increasingly important.

Virtues: Loyalty, Honesty, Valour, Justice, Fidelity, Determination?

(Oddly, I currently have 9 idealism.)
Aedfrith - Yarrr! | Aldnoth - Respect mah authoritah!| Hrolfdan - Buurrp! | Rumbold - BAPPLE! | Morriarty - Yak-a-boo! | Hraldan - DORF! | Aldfryd - KYAI PAN TUO KYAI! | Aednoth - BOOM! | Rumbelina - :3 | Mishhar - Grroar!

Balthelion
The Almighty
The Almighty
Loading…

Re: Virtues and Equipment?

Post by Balthelion » Tue Apr 26, 2011 12:56 pm

Aedfrith wrote:Virtues: Loyalty, Honesty, Valour, Justice, Fidelity, Determination?
Loyalty Justice Valour Innocence Tolerance.

Mitigations become increasingly important at the end of the game. Melee Defense (Innocence) is therefore a no-brainer for a tank. Tolerance because most of the current crop of endgame bosses/instace mobs deal tactical damage (don't forget - shields etc have no effect at reducing damage from tactical skills - only evade works)

Andragon
Footman
Footman

Post by Andragon » Wed Jun 01, 2011 1:33 pm

Anybody that could help me out how to keep aggro on a warden so i can train a bit in the combos?

Aedfrith

Post by Aedfrith » Wed Jun 01, 2011 2:00 pm

1=Spear, 2=Shield, 3=Fist for the below.

3-3 (Goad) quick and easy.
3-1 (Precise Blow) also.
Any of the 3-1-2 etc line (Fierce Resolve, Restoration, Exultation of Battle).

2-3 gambits are good - 2-3-2 (Maddening Strike), 2-3-2-3 (Dance of War) and 2-3-2-3-2 (Conviction) in particular - for reducing FS threat and getting threat back on you.

See http://www.council-of-eriador.com/WardenGambits.html .

Wardens always need a few seconds to build aggro. I do NOT recommend traiting Defiant Challenge - there are much better legendaries out there - but if desperate to be the only tank in an FS it might be your only, um, opening gambit.

I've found wardens work really well in conjunction either with each other or guardians. (I remember a hilarious Fil Gashan run with 3 wardens, 1 minnie and 2 hunters).

Balthelion
The Almighty
The Almighty
Loading…

Post by Balthelion » Thu Jun 02, 2011 1:46 am

Hard to provide exact recommendations without knowing your level.

NEVER underestimate Precise Blow (Y-R). This is your best single target agro skill, and great to spam as the over-times stack. Piercing Strike (Y-R-Y) and Spear of Virtue (Y-R-Y-R) are a waste of a time as these take longer to build and - for reasons unknown to mere mortals - actually provides less agro. Throw the odd one on if you honesty have nothing better to do (very unlikely), otherwise don't bother.

As Aed said, don't bother with the Defiant Challenge (Y-R-Y-R-Y) legendary skill. Wardens who use this can't tank, and frankly won't be tanking. Why? It's a 5 second force taunt. It doesn't build any significant agro (it does now have a tiny component - it never used to). The force taunt only starts after a VERY LONG animation. By using/spamming this you are not building agro, thereby making the problem worse (if you had trouble tanking before, which is why you used it, you're now much further behind the rest of group in the agro meters). Not to mention, if you rely on this, not only are you contributing to the perceived crapness of wardens, you are not learning how to properly tank.

There ARE some uses for Defiant challenge (albeit very limited, ie Raids - and I can name only 3 at that) but on the whole its totally useless.

---

General non-lvl specific recommendations:

1) Preferably open with an ambush on a key mob in a pull (or the boss) to ensure you get a head start on the agro-meter.

2) Begin with AOE agro skills (If you have them, Exhultation of Battle Y-R-G-Y-G and War Cry Y-G - If not, whatever you have available)

3) Hopefully you group is following the RAT target. This mob will need extra agroing-attention, so slab it with precise blows etc to make sure you have comfortable agro

4) Try to slap a precise blow on the other mobs to boost your agro while they are not being targeted by the DPS

5) Agro transfers are your friend. Use any and all of the Conviction line (G-Y > G-Y-G-Y-G) to leech agro from your fellowship and transfer it to yourself. And buff yourself in the process. Conviction also provides a very nice fellowship wide heal. This keeps your agro up, and the DPS/Healers agro down. Obviously very important

General Flow of Battle:
Agro - Get comfortable on all targets
Defenses - Buff your B/P/E, then knock some self heals up to help he healer if needed (note: self healing also generates healing agro, ESPECIALLY conviction)
More Agro - Time to get the threat leeches going, and maybe top up agro on some targets
The Long Haul - settle in, keep some slight agro going, keep defense/heals up, maybe chuck in a bit of solo-type dps'ing if you can afford to (Bleed Line - R-G-Y-R-G - is a DPS wardens best friend)

Andragon
Footman
Footman

Post by Andragon » Thu Jun 02, 2011 7:06 am

Thanks this is helpfull!

btw my level is currently only 39 but can use any advice i can get right now so i can "test" it in solo play.

By test i mean how to setup my action bars and hotkey the RATs (i just love hotkeys)