Class: Hunter

Guides & Contributions to guides being written, or that you would like to see
Balthelion
The Almighty
The Almighty
Loading…

Class: Hunter

Post by Balthelion » Fri Apr 08, 2011 9:35 am

Contributions to the Hunter Class Guide.
GW2: Taikken ~ Vasuuki ~ Artuura
EVE: Marcus Rushe
SW:TOR: Tannik ~ Celandra ~ Korrun
League | Steam | Minecraft: LeoxStryker

Aedfrith

Re: Class: Hunter

Post by Aedfrith » Wed Apr 13, 2011 1:11 pm

Just some rambles:

Things to be aware of:

Playing a solo hunter is a very different experience from playing a fellowship hunter. Solo hunts don't have to worry about aggro management as the world hates them ;-). But don't spam heartseeker, blood arrow or IQS in a fellowship before the guardian or warden has aggroed the mobs.

From a personal standpoint, I'm a bit different from some hunts in that I've emphasised survivability over pure DPS by having healing traits equipped and virtues that build morale and morale regen; means I don't quite put out as much damage as a pure DPS build but I'm quite often the last DPS standing and sometimes even the last character.

Example - A recent GS run resulted in four deaths (one of a 64 hunter with 1k morale less than me) before a guardian (Enth, as it happens) and I finished the Beast off from 30k morale.

Always buy yourself time.

Use the few CC skills we have to manage being, er, mobbed by mobs. Some of our DPS skills have quite long inductions that are easily interrupted; even the Cowardly Boggarts of Evendim can make mincemeat of an ill-prepared hunter. So use your traps, use your fear (Cry of the Predator against animals, Bard's Arrow against intelligent foes), and use your stuns. Try and take on one mob at a time. If you can do that they will die very fast.

A fun game you can play with your fears, stuns etc. is hunter ping-pong - I have played it with rare elites and another kin hunter on more than one occasion. Stand either side of the mob, pewpew, when the mob gets close Bard's Arrow or CotP it, let the other hunt take the aggro, rinse and repeat...

Use your stances properly. I personally prefer Precision to Strength for general work, but others may differ.

Stand in the right place - many of our skills don't work if we're moving.

Work out a DPS rotation that works for you and keep the fire rate constant.

Things to avoid:

Don't over-pull. We don't have great AOE or CC skills, and being trigger-happy is death solo AND in a fellowship. Always RAT someone else - usually the off-tank (e.g. champ, captain or warden). If you're being RATted, do think carefully.

Don't think that when you're in melee you can't shoot. Quick Shot, in particular, is loads more effective than melee attacks and activates nearly as fast. Use your stuns in melee and get back out of range if you can. But always make sure you have a Swift Stroke early to get your parry rating up.

Don't move far away from the healer in fellowship - as protection for both them and you.

Don't think you have to work on might. You don't. Agi and Vit are the main hunter stats.
Aedfrith - Yarrr! | Aldnoth - Respect mah authoritah!| Hrolfdan - Buurrp! | Rumbold - BAPPLE! | Morriarty - Yak-a-boo! | Hraldan - DORF! | Aldfryd - KYAI PAN TUO KYAI! | Aednoth - BOOM! | Rumbelina - :3 | Mishhar - Grroar!

Balthelion
The Almighty
The Almighty
Loading…

Post by Balthelion » Thu Apr 14, 2011 10:17 am

Aedfrith wrote:...But don't spam heartseeker, blood arrow or IQS in a fellowship before the guardian or warden has aggroed the mobs.
Heartseeker has no purpose in a fellowship AT ALL. You can chuck out vastly more DPS using other skills in the same period of time, while heartseeker will just *REALLY* annoy the mob it hits, and probably your tank, as there is a good chance you will take agro.

Aedfrith wrote:...Use the few CC skills we have to manage being, er, mobbed by mobs. Some of our DPS skills have quite long inductions that are easily interrupted; even the Cowardly Boggarts of Evendim can make mincemeat of an ill-prepared hunter. So use your traps, use your fear (Cry of the Predator against animals, Bard's Arrow against intelligent foes), and use your stuns. Try and take on one mob at a time. If you can do that they will die very fast.
Don't forget consumables like crafted traps. These can be a MAJOR boost, especially in the mid-game. Triple traps for a proper CC of sorts, while you burn down a group of mobs one by one (of course, like all traps, dmg will free mobs so watch the aoe). Strong Traps are great for difficult solo pulls (elites etc). Plonk one of those between you and the mob, your snare skill just your side of it and retreat to maximum bow range. You'll increase the time it takes for that mob to reach you dramtically, and thus the amount of uninterupted damage you deal. Personally never really used lure traps (due to the necessity for ingredients from farming which I didnt have way back on my hunter, char 2). However these can be used like a RK stone to annoy nearby mobs and act as a decoy.

Aedfrith wrote:...A fun game you can play with your fears, stuns etc. is hunter ping-pong - I have played it with rare elites and another kin hunter on more than one occasion. Stand either side of the mob, pewpew, when the mob gets close Bard's Arrow or CotP it, let the other hunt take the aggro, rinse and repeat...
For solo, nuke from max range (see: traps, above), let mob get close. (Player discretion as to how long you want to fight the mob in melee - parry buff followed by Agile rejoinder heal recommended as a minimum). Fear the mob away with bards arrow. Use this time to consume pots, use Strength of the Earth (or Press Onward if you are one of those dirty hunters!) - anything to regain morale/power/focus etc. Wait until the fear runs out (use this maximum amount of time to reduce the cooldown of your next bards arrow, pots etc). Then full nuke again. rinse and repeat.
Aedfrith wrote:...Use your stances properly. I personally prefer Precision to Strength for general work, but others may differ.
Endurance is best for power efficiency and threat down
Precision is best for accuracy, and especially for hitting higher level mobs than yourself (orange, red)
Strength is best for DPS, at the cost of increased power (Use End/Pres for almost ALL situations in grouping)

Things to avoid:
Aedfrith wrote:...Don't over-pull. We don't have great AOE or CC skills, and being trigger-happy is death solo AND in a fellowship. Always RAT someone else - usually the off-tank (e.g. champ, captain or warden). If you're being RATted, do think carefully.
DPS rat will always be a DPS class. a tank/tankish will never (should never anyway) be set as a RAT, because they will constantly be changing targets, which defeats the whole point of being a RAT. Even if you have agro you have more than enough skills/capability to deal with it (the tank ought to have at least all non-RAT targeted mobs on himself anyway, so 1 mob won't do too much damage).
Aedfrith wrote:...Don't think that when you're in melee you can't shoot. Quick Shot, in particular, is loads more effective than melee attacks and activates nearly as fast. Use your stuns in melee and get back out of range if you can. But always make sure you have a Swift Stroke early to get your parry rating up.
Swift Stroke should be kept up at all times in melee combat. Follow this up with agil rejoinder heals to keep taht up at all times you have agro. A hunter should NEVER neglect his melee skills however. They are all their with handy effects and combo-opportunities.
Aedfrith wrote:...Don't think you have to work on might. You don't. Agi and Vit are the main hunter stats.
Agility is VERY easily capped
Vitality then becomes next most important and again, can be capped without to much pain.
Might is then the third most important stat. Fate is useless for a hunter, will almost as useless. a 3k power pool is plenty, and the hunter has plenty of power regen skills regardless of build. Might is therefore more important as not only will it increase (marginally I will admit) your melee DPS, it will also increase your Common Damage Mitigation, Parry Rating, and Melee Offense (+Block, but useless for hunt).

CAJUS
Guardsman
Guardsman

Post by CAJUS » Thu Apr 14, 2011 3:40 pm

what does RAT mean?

Balthelion
The Almighty
The Almighty
Loading…

Post by Balthelion » Thu Apr 14, 2011 3:51 pm

CAJUS wrote:what does RAT mean?
Raid assist target (also known as Fellowship Assist Target, but never referred to as FAT :P)

It's an extra window on the HUD where 1-4 members of a group can be added, and you can follow their vitals, and those of their target. Absolutely essential to have enabled (SOCIAL Panel > RAID tab > SHOW RAID ASSIST)

Primarily used to allow the entire group to easily select and focus fire on a single target at a time.

Secondary uses are for healers to track the health of key personel in raids (read: tanks), and to allow raid leaders to better co-ordinate tactics as they can see the vitals of multiple bosses.

Hardric
The Elhirphant
The Elhirphant

Post by Hardric » Mon Apr 18, 2011 5:32 pm

Yes, and should point out that you can quickly change target to the RAT by clicking on the RAT window.

Can't understand why the window is turned off by default.

H
In the world before Monkey, primal chaos reigned.

http://my.lotro.com/home/character/2550 ... 377944157/

Mains (75): Elhiredriel/Elharwen/Felgard/Hardric
Levelling: Elhirphant/Ashrisa/Elhiras
Alts: Feldin/Hardalin

Cattiwen
Second Marshall
Second Marshall

Post by Cattiwen » Wed Jun 01, 2011 5:27 pm

Balthelion wrote:
Aedfrith wrote:...But don't spam heartseeker, blood arrow or IQS in a fellowship before the guardian or warden has aggroed the mobs.
Heartseeker has no purpose in a fellowship AT ALL. You can chuck out vastly more DPS using other skills in the same period of time, while heartseeker will just *REALLY* annoy the mob it hits, and probably your tank, as there is a good chance you will take agro.
I'd argue that against high hp single targets it does have a place. If alot of my skills are on CD and I have a chance to pop it I will. I can't remember how many seconds aggro is averaged over, but HS sits within the range of my other skills. It seems to be a preference, but as I said although HS has a long induction, I think the damage it kicks out divided by its induction time sits it around the other skills.
Cattiwen - Lvl 85 Hunter
Cattibrien - Lvl 85 Runekeeper
Thorinyn - Lvl 24 Guardian
Cattiwin - Lvl 24 Captain
Cattiwyn - Lvl 18 Champion

Balthelion
The Almighty
The Almighty
Loading…

Post by Balthelion » Thu Jun 02, 2011 1:27 am

Even post patch, if you're playing properly you can kick out significantly more DPS with regular skills than popping HS. It's certainly nice (admitedly less so than before) as an opener in solo play, but the only time I use it is a) to try and get a kill shot on a boss thats about to die or b) When Oathbreakers, To Arms et al is up and I want to try and break my crit record.

Aedfrith

Post by Aedfrith » Tue Jul 05, 2011 2:58 pm

Another issue - it's important to know which of your skills are fast or fastish (QS, PS, MS, RoA, RoT) and which need longish inductions (HS, IQS, DS, BrbA, BdA). Generally speaking, if your power and focus can stand it, your raid will want you to use as many Fast skills as possible to keep constant DPS up. Knowing your inductions, and avoiding long ones, is particularly important where mobs have intermittent shield buffs - e.g. Flagit, Coldbear, Gaerdring.

Quick Shot is a bit different to the other focus builders because its induction is relatively short so it can be thought of as a fast skill, particularly if you have 4 blue traits equipped and/or induction reduction legacies. I pop it off at 0.8s normally. If you have 5 blue (I don't recommend this) you can go Improved Fleetness for even faster shootin'.

And now for the endless debate on traits. Some of my favourites. Bearing in mind I have a very high crit rating, particularly in Precision, and choose traits that reduce inductions and help my speed in general rather than concentrating on a particular shot, except for ISB:

Class:

Blue:
Deep Concentration (with legs, this is as good as a power pot)
Fast Draw
Strong Draw
Swift Recovery (more speed and power more often)

Red:
Critical Eye (what's not to love about 5200 unbuffed crit? :D)
Swift and True
Deadly Precision

Legendary:

Rain of Thorns - one key CC skill
Bard's Arrow - the other key CC skill
Improved Press Onward / Improved Fleetness / Bow of the Righteous (depends on your build - I have IPO legs on my melee weapon so use IPO, but YMMV)
Aedfrith - Yarrr! | Aldnoth - Respect mah authoritah!| Hrolfdan - Buurrp! | Rumbold - BAPPLE! | Morriarty - Yak-a-boo! | Hraldan - DORF! | Aldfryd - KYAI PAN TUO KYAI! | Aednoth - BOOM! | Rumbelina - :3 | Mishhar - Grroar!

Balthelion
The Almighty
The Almighty
Loading…

Post by Balthelion » Tue Jul 05, 2011 3:05 pm

Aedfrith wrote:Knowing your inductions, and avoiding long ones, is particularly important where mobs have intermittent shield buffs - e.g. Flagit, Coldbear, Gaerdring.
Irrellevant - Cancel in-progress inductions by movement.