Class: Captain

Guides & Contributions to guides being written, or that you would like to see
Grim
Captain General
Captain General

Re: Class: Captain

Post by Grim » Wed Jan 09, 2013 2:55 am

Good start nost, did a couple of minor corrections: changed master of war title to lead the charge (actual traitline name), and changed valiant strike to shadows lament in the bit about giving you battle hardened with master of war.

Also well worth mentioning shield of the dunedain at some point in relation to HoH. Recently started running it for heals (with HoH capstone and IDOME) and its really useful actually. Basically gives you an extra get out of jail free card if you're headed towards a wipe, definitely saved me a few times!
Grimhelmd - 75 Guardian
Turrion - 75 Captain
Tergon - 75 Loremaster
Terrann - 20 Warden
Grimthryd - 20 Champion
Grimharl - 9 Minstrel
Grimfoil - 1 Burglar

Aedfrith

Post by Aedfrith » Thu Jan 10, 2013 10:37 am

Use of swap emblems:

Just to be clear, if you have a piece of equipment that reduces the cooldown on a given skill (e.g. Escape from Darkness) you should equip that piece of equipment just before using the skill?

Also we have established that the cappy out of combat rez DOES increase the Blood of Numenor deed.
Aedfrith - Yarrr! | Aldnoth - Respect mah authoritah!| Hrolfdan - Buurrp! | Rumbold - BAPPLE! | Morriarty - Yak-a-boo! | Hraldan - DORF! | Aldfryd - KYAI PAN TUO KYAI! | Aednoth - BOOM! | Rumbelina - :3 | Mishhar - Grroar!

nostborn
Disturber of the Peace
Disturber of the Peace

Post by nostborn » Thu Jan 10, 2013 12:32 pm

Its the same with any legacy which buffs. You need to have the emblem equipt to buff the skill befpre its use.
EvE - Nostborn Amatin / Steam - Nostborn / Raptr - Nostborn

https://zkillboard.com/character/93160905/

Arc

Post by Arc » Thu Jan 10, 2013 3:14 pm

It is also important, when you swap a piece of gear for a boost to a skill you intend to use, that you let the skill/animation fully complete BEFORE swapping the gear back!
If you swap back too quickly then you might often not get any benefit at all, and it would be like you never swapped out in the first place.
In regards to Captains in particular; Strength of Will is especially twitchy in this manner. I expect the same to hold true for Escape from Darkness as well.
Archturus (the 'h' is silent!!) -- Rune-keeper, 105; Tailor
Deorwen -- Warden, 88+; Jeweller (+ Cook)
Gilbrindal -- Captain, 100; Historian
Kitsunegari -- Huntress, 100; Weaponsmith
Safirlotus -- Minstrel, (65+); Scholar
Skullrend -- Guardian, (52+); Jeweller
Nareraumo -- LM, (40+); Yeoman

Elc
Guardsman
Guardsman

Post by Elc » Fri Jan 11, 2013 10:26 am

Any sugguestions on recommended stat values - specifiacly for healing type capt? I wonder if I have too little agility and too much vitality ? (around 200 and 700 unbuffed) and ~1.8K might
Elcrian lvl85 Captain
Sibhalfar lvl85 RK
Pantser lvl85 Grd
Deadro lvl42+ Minstrel
Elcrapandir 65+ Hunter

Netham
First Marshall
First Marshall

Post by Netham » Fri Jan 11, 2013 11:08 am

I wouldn't worry about agi at all. And not too much vitality imo, tho it really comes down to your feeling of enough sturdiness. Some feel good with 2k+ might 500 vit, some want more of either. More might and tac mastery means more heals. :)
All the Neth chars in kin except Nethoss :)

Hal
RIVEN!!!
RIVEN!!!

Post by Hal » Fri Jan 11, 2013 11:09 am

nostborn wrote: Hand of Healing (Healing Role)

The Hands of Healing Captain is a pure healing focus with a blend of Healing over Time and large group spike heals. The hands of healing can heal a large number of people with a combination of critical hits and group HoTs.
The disadvantages of the Healing captain is the reliance on Critical hits for defeat effects and some long cool downs of some of the more used healing skills. Power consumption can also be an issue however you can compensate this with traits and legacies on weapons.
Advantages of healing with a captain are the captain can take a lot of punishment and get agro for a short time without having too much of a problem. The captain can also heal the who group and supply a small amount of power to the group at the same time allowing the group to focus on the mobs for longer.

For the Stats you would be looking at something very similar to the DPS captain. Roughly twice the Might as you have Vit and still keeping the Crit rating, however instead of Physical Mastery you would go for Tactical Mastery in order to boost outgoing healing.

Some Useful Trait Options include:
Deeds before Words - Boost of healing to Inspire, this include any power returns inspire gives
Relentless Optimism - boosts critical heals, works well with the heals when built with crit and can affect many members of the group
Sibhalfar wrote:Any sugguestions on recommended stat values - specifiacly for healing type capt? I wonder if I have too little agility and too much vitality ? (around 200 and 700 unbuffed) and ~1.8K might
All there already in the guide, just got to read through and look for the right bits :). And agility doesn't have that much use on a cappy, so ignore that. You're might is good, you vit is low

Hal
RIVEN!!!
RIVEN!!!

Post by Hal » Fri Jan 11, 2013 11:11 am

Netham wrote:I wouldn't worry about agi at all. And not too much vitality imo, tho it really comes down to your feeling of enough sturdiness. Some feel good with 2k+ might 500 vit, some want more of either. More might and tac mastery means more heals. :)
Cappy's with 2k Might still have like 700 vit minimum neth, and tbh you want more vit than that for morale, mits, and because you have to cast from hit points. Ratio of might to vit for a healing cappy should be anywhere between 1.5-2 Might for every 1 Vit

Netham
First Marshall
First Marshall

Post by Netham » Fri Jan 11, 2013 11:17 am

Oki. :p Mine has around 2k/1k V/M I think and wouldn't feel too good going lower on vit..

Tho, I've noticed a trend of morale ho...arding lately, and I'm not too fond of it. People get the easy gear (say pure vit and 300-400 morale) and disregard pretty much all rest of the build. Not saying that I see kinnies doing this, but (dumb) people in general.
All the Neth chars in kin except Nethoss :)

Elc
Guardsman
Guardsman

Post by Elc » Fri Jan 11, 2013 11:19 am

thx, I was more concerned about agility - but I think I got bits of crit from raw Crit rating.
Lately I started to use IHW more frequently and extra vit is handy. (Got to facepalm at myself, but I only recently read the word HALF in IHW description xD)
Last edited by Elc on Fri Jan 11, 2013 11:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
Elcrian lvl85 Captain
Sibhalfar lvl85 RK
Pantser lvl85 Grd
Deadro lvl42+ Minstrel
Elcrapandir 65+ Hunter