Class: Captain

Guides & Contributions to guides being written, or that you would like to see
Balthelion
The Almighty
The Almighty

Class: Captain

Post by Balthelion » Fri Apr 08, 2011 9:35 am

Contributions to the Captain Class Guide.
GW2: Taikken ~ Vasuuki ~ Artuura
EVE: Marcus Rushe
SW:TOR: Tannik ~ Celandra ~ Korrun
League | Steam | Minecraft: LeoxStryker

Hardric
The Elhirphant
The Elhirphant

Re: Class: Captain

Post by Hardric » Sat May 14, 2011 4:55 pm

Doubt I can do a better job of this than Bal, but here's my tuppence worth

+Overview
Minor melee character with pets and awesome buffs

+Strengths/Weaknesses
Hard to kill
Loved in fellowships
Can be slow to level solo
Has to be flexible (strength or weakness - you choose)

+Roles In Groups
Strong support healer with buffs
Kite/Tanking

+Guide to Every Skill, including tips on combo's (For example, Captain's In Harm's Way + Last Stand)

In Harm's Way and Last Stand - I think Bal can handle this one

War-Cry - Use this whenever possible
Rallying Cry - Use this when WC is on cooldown, or the group is in trouble. Also useful at generating some threat, see below

Kiting:
(Noble Mark) Time of Need and Rallying Cry - great opening for grabbing agro and generally kiting (GB, LT etc)
with a mini onboard can be substituted with Call to Greatness and Rallying Cry to avoid the morale cost
To keep agro a cappie generally needs to max out on healing, as DPS is pitiful
Any bonus to RC cooldown times, from armour sets or LI's, can greatly increase captain heal output and thus threat levels
In desperation force taunts can be used if correctly traited (detail needed)
Taking damage from the kite? Quick burst of Make Haste

Shield brother:
If the tank is under-levelled, then this can go to the fearless Leeroy to help to keep up the heals
However, generally this is best placed on the group's champ, or possibly other main DPS
The To Arms skill then can be used to best effect
and the extra heals (Strength of Will and Inspire) can help the main healer to concentrate on the tank

Buffbars and In Defense of Middle Earth (iDoME) - does this count? really helps to keep an eye on your buffs, particularly iDoME
ofc iDoME should be refreshed whenever off CD imo

Pets:
Oathbreaker heralds - Still haven't worked these out. Slight increase in pet power but hardly worth a legendary slot?
Noble Mark - Can be used for ranged pull
With the right traits (detail needed) can be quickly subbed for Telling or Revealing
With a pet along, and if the cappie stays put then a ranged pull tends to place the pet in a flanking position, which aids some pet skills

+Guide to combining your skills with other classes
+Class Quest Guide
+Endgame Armour Guide, Gear tips/recommendations

4 Helegrod + 2 Moria can be a good starting point. Gains a nice cry cooldown bonus for increased damage buffing and healing
Jewellery wise then Will/Fate/Vit is generally seen as the way to go. For levelling only then Might can be a boon.
Glass Flask/Charm of Spirirt
Tactical Crit can also give a nice healing bonus

+Anything else relevant/appropriate

To be updated at some point....
In the world before Monkey, primal chaos reigned.

http://my.lotro.com/home/character/2550 ... 377944157/

Mains (75): Elhiredriel/Elharwen/Felgard/Hardric
Levelling: Elhirphant/Ashrisa/Elhiras
Alts: Feldin/Hardalin

Egelinath
Hard Boiled
Hard Boiled

Post by Egelinath » Thu Jul 21, 2011 1:37 pm

I'd like to add a bit to this guide as it seems there's no indication of which legacies Captains should look for.

So, in my playing experience, a capt needs a MINIMUM of 4 Legendary Item: 2 weapons and 2 emblems. One of each will be a buffing weapon and the other will be your 'main' item you have equipped.

For your buffing weapon, pick up a 1st age and ensure it has these 3 legacies on it:

1) Morale from Motiviating Speech (major)
2) Tactics: Relentless attack Critical (minor)
2) Tactics: On Guard Parry Rating (minor)

But you may ask, 'Eg, why a 1st age?' My answer is because your 2 Tactics legacies get higher ratings when they're maxed out that way. (Higher than a 3rd age or 2nd age of equivalent level) Plus, if you need empowerment scrolls, you can get the Lesser Empowerment Scrolls which are cheaper and the Lesser Scrolls of Delving.

For your 'main' weapon, you want to grab a Halberd with the following legacies:

1) To Arms Duration (major)
2) Telling Mark Damage (major)
3) Melee Skills Power Cost (major)
4) Pressing Attack Targets (major)
5) Cry Power Cost (minor)
6) Blade of Elendil Damage (minor)

You may ask, 'Eg why a Halberd? Why not a Greatsword?' My answer to that is that as a captain, there are times when you are called to off-tank or pull mobs off light armour. The Halberd, in my experience, makes this job easier as it adds additional threat. If you're main healing an instance, it really doesn't affect you as you'll spend most of your time trying to crit devestating blow or pressing attack or spamming words of courage.

For your buffing emblem, again, grab a 1st age with the following legacies:

1) Tactics: Focus In-Combat Power Regen (major)
2) Strength of Will (major)
3) In Defense of Middle Earth Duration (minor)

If you ask 'Why a 1st age?', I point you to the answer above for the buffing weapon. If you ask instead, 'Eg, why put Strength of Will on your buffing emblem instead of your main one?' I'll answer that there are too many legacies you need on your main emblem to have room for Strength of Will unless you get extremely lucky or enjoy grinding. This way, you can put your main embelm and your buffing emblem on your quickslot bar and switch between the 2 when you need to use Strength of Will which is only about every 1 and half to 2 minutes depending on how close you want to cut the expirations. I will point out though, that you need to wait until the animation completes before swapping back to your main emblem or you will wind up with the crappy 'default' Strength of Will value.

For your main emblem, you want one with the following legacies:

1) Rallying Cry CD (major)
2) Vocal Skills Healing (major)
3) Melee Skills Healing (major)
4) Rallying Cry Healing (major)
5) Muster Courage CD (minor)

I have listed the legacies above for all the LIs in their order of desire in case you are forced to choose for those items that may not have 4 majors on them. I'll make another post regarding the desired traits later, but hope this helps any aspiring cappies in the meantime.

Egelinath
Hard Boiled
Hard Boiled

Post by Egelinath » Thu Jul 21, 2011 1:57 pm

Ok, regarding traits:

Most of the time, I run in Leader of Men (LoM), because it's what all the cool kids are doing these days. ;)

But, to be effective in LoM for grouping, I think you need to equip the following class traits:

1) Adherent of Elendil
2) Captain of War
3) Defiance
4) Intimidation
5) Tactical Prowess
6) Now for Our Wrath
7) Captain's Hope/Strength from Within/Fear no Darkness

The 7th trait is the one that'll be switching around depending on what you'll be expected to do... If you know you'll be off-healing without a high crit chance on devestating blow or pressing attack, then slot Fear no Darkness. If you're going to be kiting and not receiving a bunch of defeat responses, I'd slot Strength from Within to help with healing yourself. If you don't have either of the above 2 situations, then slot Captain's Hope.

Believe it or not, LoM is the way I prefer to main heal 3-mans; the extra damage from To Arms applied to the fellowship and fellowship wide Inspire HoT + Strength of Will makes healing easier for me in 3-mans, including StH T2 HM.

However, if I'm questing/soloing, I actually prefer to run in Hands of Healing (HoH). Most people think that when you're soloing as a captain, it's all about doing as much damage as you can as quickly as you can, so they slot Lead the Charge (LtC). But, in my experience, soloing on a Captain is all about endurance and outlasting your opponent. As a result, I slot HoH with 2 Lead the Charge. This allows me to throw up Revealing Mark, use Muster Courage and Valiant Strike and end nearly every 18K+ fight with at least half morale without needing Man Heal.

So, which traits do I use for HoH? These:

1) Now for our Wrath
2) Captain's Hope
3) Strength from Within
4) String Voice
5) Fear no Darkness
6) Renewed Voice
7) Expert Attacks

So, why did I choose 6 & 7? Well, in addition to the +15% melee crit multiplier from having 2 LtC traits slotted, your Battle Shout recovers 5s faster (meaning I can get 4 in in a minute vs only 3 without it) and my devestating blow and pressing attack gets an extra 1300 crit rating meaning I'll have a higher chance to crit on those skills and unlock my defeat responses.

Hardric
The Elhirphant
The Elhirphant

Post by Hardric » Thu Jul 21, 2011 3:39 pm

I like the way you're thinking there.

Have to say, I tried HoH healing StH t2 a couple of days ago. First two bosses were easy. Last battle was too tough and I switched to my mini (since I'd picked up the Padlock Bracelet by then). With the mini I expect the first boss to be toughest to heal. I think I'll try some of those suggestions next time.....

Thanks

H

Hardric
The Elhirphant
The Elhirphant

Post by Hardric » Tue Aug 23, 2011 11:15 am

Looking at the confirmed captain changes - where LoM is sometimes chosen for the attack buffs it provides to the whole fellowship, this will now require LtC? Or does Defy Corruption make that irrelevant? Would be nice if the LtC line had some usefulness. I really don't want to end up a tanking captain :P

H

Balthelion
The Almighty
The Almighty

Post by Balthelion » Tue Aug 23, 2011 11:56 am

The new legendary which replaces Defy Corruption (called Fellowship Brother) provides the fellowship-wide brother skill effects currently contained in leader of men.

Lead The Charge retains it function as the "DPS" Line
Leader of Men is reshaped into being the "Tanking" line
Hands of Healing retains it's function as the "Healing" line

LoM Capstone has undergone significant change (Boost to tanking rather than fellowship-wide effects.
All Three Capstones now gain additional effects where the captain will get the FULL effect of brother skills applied to their brother. Each traitline/capstone is tied to one specific brother skill.

Lead The Charge > Blade-Brother
Leader of Men > Shield-Brother
Hands of Healing > Song-Brother

So really captains have 4 traitlines (DPS, Tank, Heal, Hybrid/Support)

Hardric
The Elhirphant
The Elhirphant

Post by Hardric » Tue Aug 23, 2011 12:03 pm

So the To Arms buff, fellowship wide, will be available to any trait line, as long as Fellowship Brother is equipped, but if I want to apply additional attack bonuses, available from Blade Brother, to the whole fellowship, I would also need to be LtC traited? Which sounds like fun.
Bit gutted that I have to change all my + Will gear to + Might. But 10 levels will see a lot of changes.....

Balthelion
The Almighty
The Almighty

Post by Balthelion » Tue Aug 23, 2011 12:23 pm

Hardric wrote:So the To Arms buff, fellowship wide, will be available to any trait line, as long as Fellowship Brother is equipped, but if I want to apply additional attack bonuses, available from Blade Brother, to the whole fellowship, I would also need to be LtC traited? Which sounds like fun.
No.
  • You can only use ONE brother skill at a time (think of them like stances)
  • Toggling off (or changing) the active brother skill will cause all buffs from those brother skills to be dispelled (You can't pop Blade-Brother to arms [+damage as it is now on live] and switch back to shield-brother to pop strength of will on the tank [+inc. heal as it is now on live]).

Traiting Possibilities:
  • FB - Fellowship Brother will give lesser effects of ALL THREE brother skills to the fellowship.
  • Cap - A Capstone will give the target FULL effects of all three skills. The Captain will get the full bonus of the brother skill matching the traitline (but nothing at all from the other 2). The other 4 people get nothing.
  • FB + CAP - Traiting a capstone + Fellowship brother will give the target the FULL effect of the current skill, plus the group will get lesser effects of the current skill. If the current brother skill matches the traitline, the captain will [theoretically] get the FULL bonus instead of the LESSER bonus.
Hardric wrote:Bit gutted that I have to change all my + Will gear to + Might. But 10 levels will see a lot of changes.....
You have no idea ^^

Hardric
The Elhirphant
The Elhirphant

Post by Hardric » Tue Aug 23, 2011 12:49 pm

That's a shame. LoM traiting now seems even more essential than before. Combined with blade brother in most cases. Shield brother when it's looking dire, and song brother...... seems pretty much wasted since its going to be single target rather than of use to the whole fellowship. If you want to main heal, you would still go HoH (unless Ege), and maybe place song brother on the off-healer (LM?) with Defy Corruption not tratied. Wonder if I'll ever use LtC?

H