Optimising the game for Raiding Performance

Guides & Contributions to guides being written, or that you would like to see
Balthelion
The Almighty
The Almighty
Loading…

Optimising the game for Raiding Performance

Post by Balthelion » Tue Jul 17, 2012 9:50 pm

This guide is for improving performance while grouping, particularly for raiding. Try as many of these steps as you like.

1) Remove unnecessary buff/debuff icons
This can massively improve performance by reducing the number of icons on the screen. There are two options which affect this, both are under:
OPTIONS > SOCIAL OPTIONS > GROUP EFFECT OPTIONS

Turn on: "Only Show Dispellable Effects"
This hides all buffs/debuffs except potable status effects on yourself and the fellowship/raid

Turn on: "Only Show Effects Cast By You"
This hides all buffs/debuffs except those cast on yourself or the the fellowship that you have cast.

Both these options can be turned on to combine their effects.

2) Turn off Player name panels, or reduce their content to first names only
You can turn player names on/off at any time using the "N" key. There is hardly ever a reason for having this on during grouping or raiding (unless perhaps you are leading and need to know the name of a person with a certain effect, in order to shout at them on TS).

If you absolutely must have names on during raiding, there are several options you can alter under:
OPTIONS > UI OPTIONS > FLOATING TEXT

Turn off: "Player Titles"
This will stop titles from displaying next to a players name when floating names are turned on.

Turn off: "Player Kinships"
This will stop kinship names from displaying under a players name when floating names are turned on.

3) Reduce the size and contents of the raid panel, and remove the class colourations
The raid panel is large, displays a lot of information, and takes up a fair amount of valuable screen space. Cleaning these up can not only help performance, it'll make your UI look a lot cleaner. These options can be found under:
OPTIONS > SOCIAL OPTIONS > GROUPING

Set: "Raid Vital Class Colour Location" to "None"
This will remove the coloured backgrounds to each member of the raid. Not only does it look better and slightly improve performance, it also means you can see things on screen behind the panels a lot better.

Turn off: "Show Companion Vitals In Raid Vitals Windows"
This will stop companion/pet vitals being displayed in the raid panels. In addition to slightly improving performance, this will reduce the height of each raid panel by about 33%, which is especially usefull if you have a smaller screen resolution.

4) Hide Raid Panels for other fellowships
Personally I would say NEVER do this if you are on a class that either can or is expected to support the other fellowships in any way (eg, healers cross-healing, or Hunters/LM's removing status effects). But if you are having bad lag and don't fall into this category, you can hide the other groups panels to improve performance. This is especially useful in 24-man raids or the Ettenmoors. The options can be found under:
SOCIAL PANEL > RAID TAB

For each group that you are not currently in, you can:
Turn off: "Show Vitals"

5) Turn off Post Processing Effects
This one can particularly improve performance on older PC's, and is particularly recommended during the Watcher raid because a side effect means that water is easier to see through so you can find the platforms you need to stand on easier. Performance increase will vary depending on the raid, but this is often a good way to improve performance. The option can be found under:
OPTIONS > ADV GRAPHICS > POST PROCESSING

Turn off: Post Processing Effects

-----

This is a first draft for a guide to later be added to the website. If you have any further ideas or suggestions, add them to this thread. :)
GW2: Taikken ~ Vasuuki ~ Artuura
EVE: Marcus Rushe
SW:TOR: Tannik ~ Celandra ~ Korrun
League | Steam | Minecraft: LeoxStryker

Rielthiere
High Warden
High Warden

Re: Optimising the game for Raiding Performance

Post by Rielthiere » Tue Jul 17, 2012 10:23 pm

other suggestions right now:

disable antialiasing (in advanced graphics) as this can be a serious resource hog.

check which type of filtering is enabled (bilinear/trilinear/sharp/antistropic and i think there's a couple of others.) antistropic in particular adds very little, if anything, in LoTRO (in my opinion at least.) i think the lowest setting is bilinear or trilinear, and don't lose much in the way of quality.

also disable shadows as these are also quite significant resource hogs.

there are a lot of other settings in advanced graphics that can contribute significantly to performance, however i've generally found these three to be key. others are trial and error.

if noticing skill lag, and can't determine a reason for it, then enable connection status (options>UI>miscellaneous) and turn on Show connection status in alerts tray. hover over this icon, and check the Packet Loss. this will be shown in a percentage, and anything other than 0.0% is generally not a good thing. however, occasional fluctuation in this can be expected. even allowing for fluctuation, however, 0.4% or more is bad. at this point, you should open the task manager on your computer (Windows 7 users: Ctrl+Alt+Del>Start Task Manager. Other Windows may vary, however Ctrl+Alt+Del will always work.) go to the processes pane and close anything belonging to Adobe, Apple, or PMB (pando media booster.) check the description of each process in the list, but do not close something just because you aren't sure what it does - google can be useful in determining whether it should be let run or not.

NOTES
1 DO NOT open the task manager during a raid, unless you have obtained the raid leader's permission, and they are fully aware of what you are doing. being aware of loss means you can allow for it in your actions, and does not require immediate attention. you can deal with the task manager after the raid if necessary, and in future raids you can deal with it before the raid.
2 DO NOT end processes unless you either know what they are, or are absolutely certain that they should not be active. closing the wrong process can close LotRO, or even Windows.

Hal
RIVEN!!!
RIVEN!!!

Post by Hal » Tue Jul 17, 2012 10:50 pm

And you know you can always turn down the graphics to very low, disable shadowing and reduce texture, draw distance, landscape distance, rendering and every other optional setting under graphics and advanced graphics

andrac
Danger Mouse
Danger Mouse

Post by andrac » Wed Jul 18, 2012 7:27 am

one thing i usually do when healing, because i need to be able to react as fast as possible. I turn the camera like i am staying with the back to the group. in this way i am not bothered with all the effects in front of me and i can focus on the fellowship panel, also i still have a good awareness of what is happening near me.
Andracy - Mins 100 (tailor) | Andrady - RK 100 (scholar) | Andracya - Burg 100 (weaponsmith) | Andrac - Hunt 100 (woodworker) | Gabytza LM 100 (jeweller) | Anduta - Warden 100 (jeweller)

Aedfrith

Post by Aedfrith » Wed Jul 18, 2012 8:38 am

Would say that the opening sentence could be misinterpreted as "improving YOUR performance".

I'd open with something like "This guide suggests some steps you can take to make your game client run more efficiently and so improve system performance and minimise lag during raids. There are some generally useful tweaks to your User Interface in here that also work well outside a raid context."
Aedfrith - Yarrr! | Aldnoth - Respect mah authoritah!| Hrolfdan - Buurrp! | Rumbold - BAPPLE! | Morriarty - Yak-a-boo! | Hraldan - DORF! | Aldfryd - KYAI PAN TUO KYAI! | Aednoth - BOOM! | Rumbelina - :3 | Mishhar - Grroar!

Egelinath
Hard Boiled
Hard Boiled

Post by Egelinath » Wed Jul 18, 2012 1:14 pm

Eg's Option: Buy a bigger, badder, meaner machine and/or graphics card. :mrgreen:

Netham
First Marshall
First Marshall

Post by Netham » Wed Jul 18, 2012 2:43 pm

One thing that could also help is to turn down animation smoothness. I noticed I just have to turn it on low to be able to react on some pulls in ToO. (thanks RK's and LM's) :p
All the Neth chars in kin except Nethoss :)

Egelinath
Hard Boiled
Hard Boiled

Post by Egelinath » Wed Jul 18, 2012 4:39 pm

Ah, before I forget, something we used to have our raid members do on E was to turn off/hide their cloaks while raiding. The processing for the "flapping" of the cloth is more than you might think and can significantly help improve the performance for those members who do not have extreme machines like me :mrgreen:

Hal
RIVEN!!!
RIVEN!!!

Post by Hal » Wed Jul 18, 2012 6:13 pm

Basically optimizing performance involves turning lotro into a collection of grain textures with jerky stick men running around whilst removing unnecessary HUD details

Balthelion
The Almighty
The Almighty
Loading…

Post by Balthelion » Wed Jul 18, 2012 7:15 pm

Well tbh Aed, taking these steps to improve PC/gamepaly performance will also improve your personal perforamce due to faster reaction times and higher probability of seeing the effects you need to pot/avoid ;)
GW2: Taikken ~ Vasuuki ~ Artuura
EVE: Marcus Rushe
SW:TOR: Tannik ~ Celandra ~ Korrun
League | Steam | Minecraft: LeoxStryker