If you have any questions, please feel free to ask in this thread.Kin Transfer StatusYou may now transfer to Laurelin
The kin has migrated and you are now safe to follow!Things to do before you transfer
FAQs Q: Why is this happening?
- Log in all characters (including monster characters) to reset your "Last Played on..." date - This may help you in the event that your name is already in use, if your character is more active you may be permitted to steal the name from the existing character.
- Empty your mailboxes on all characters - Mail will not transfer
- Empty your Pending Loot windows - While I cannot be certain, I think you'll lose any pending loot too.
A: As part of turbine's efforts to consolidate the playerbase onto fewer remaining servers, and providing better hardware on those remaining servers, Snowbourn will unfortunately be closing down.
We therefore need to move to one of the FIVE remaining EU servers. Since two of these are german, and one is French, this leaves only two English language server options:
- Laurelin [EN-RP]
- Evernight [EN]
Following on from discussion with the kinship when the server merges were originally announced, we have decided that we will me moving the the Laurelin server.Q: Why Laurelin, and not Evernight?
A: The pro's and cons of both servers were discussed at length within the kin before we reach the decision, but the main benefits of Laurelin are as follows:
Q: What if i'm not interested in RP?
- RP Opportunities - A number of kinnies would like to give RP a go, but opportunities on Snowy and Evernight are slim. Laurelin also tends to set a lot of extra in-game player created events as a result of being the RP server.
- Population / Name Clashes - The vast majority of English speaking transfers will go to Evernight, in many cases influenced by misconceptions and fears about an RP server. This means Evernight will end up with an oversized playerbase, and many names will be in use. As Snowbourn transfers last, most kinnies may find their beloved names are more likely to be taken on Evernight. On top of that, Evernight will be much worse for the dreaded lag.
- Maturer Playerbase - Laurelin is known for having one of the more mature and sensible playerbases (pre-transfers at least), whereas Evernight has some well-known trollers and problem people (as does Snowy). That doesn't mean Laurelin will be troll free however (especially after transfers).
Just because Laurelin is listed as an RP server does not mean you have to RP.
However, you should be respectful of those in the world around you who are RPing. If you see two guys having an RP conversation in Bree, they will probably be quite happy if you interrupt their conversation in character. But if you interrupt poetry evening in the shire by spamming forced emotes or playing music, that will piss a lot of people off. And that would be true on any server, not just the RP one.
You may encounter RPing during instances too, but they won't hold it against you if you don't join in (although they'd love it if you did).Q: What is the RP flag and how do I use it?
A: The RP flag gives other players a means to tell at a glance if you will engage in RP or not. It does this by subtly changing the colour of the name above your head. While on your name will be in White, While off, your name will be in a yellow/beige colour.
On Snownbourn, many people will have activated the RP flag just to make their name white, because it looks nicer. On Laurelin, you should make proper use of the RP flag to indicate your prefered RP status using:
If you walk around with the RP flag on, you will likely have people come up to you and interact with you in-character. They will then understandably be salty if you then do not respond in character.
If you have the flag off, then RPers should notice and respect the fact that you do not want to engage in RP.Q: What if my name is not appropriate for an RP server?
A: Odds are you're probably worrying to much, as the naming conventions are not as strict as most players think. Generally speaking, everything is fair game unless it really breaks the immersion. So blatantly naming your character after a member of the fellowship with some minor grammar tweaks (eg, Gundalf, Aragorrn, Legolass) are a no-no. Similarly, stupid names are also a no-no (eg elfhunter, ishootorcs, killerdwarf). As is any name which totally breaks immersion (eg, cocacola, katniss everdeen)
As a kinship, we've tended to avoid recruiting people with such silly names, since they tend to be immature or otherwise problematic individuals anyway.
As a result 99% of characters in the kin should not have issues with their names. The few characters that may have questionable names may need to be renamed overtime. But experience tends to be that if a player doesn't bother putting much effort into their character's name, they generally aren't really too attached to it anyway.Q: I'd like to stay with the Rangers, but I'm not sure Laurelin is the right server for me
You could consider starting a brand new character on laurelin to test the waters, and move your existing characters later if you prefer.
Or you could move all your characters to Laurelin, see how it goes, and if you don't like it you can transfer off of Laurelin in the coming weeks (Transfers off of laurelin will be free for a limited window, see below questions).
Or you could consider moving some of your characters to Laurelin, and leaving the rest on Snowbourn or moving them elsewhere for now.Q: What if I don't want to go Laurelin with the Rangers, and I want to transfer to another server instead?
A: You are of course welcome to do so, although we will be sad to see you go. Be sure to pop by on the forums to say bye so we can wish you well in person!
Remember that you can only transfer your characters to one of the other 4 remaining EU worlds. You cannot transfer to the American servers. Keep in mind that only one of the servers is English as a main language - The others are French (FR) or German (DE). Your other options are therefore:
- Evernight [EN]
- Belegaer [DE-RP]
- Gwaihir [DE]
- Sirannon [FR]
As with our usual policy for people leaving the kin, you are always welcome back and our doors are always open. However, since you would be on a whole different server, this may be difficult as you may not necessarily have a free transfer back to us.Q: When should I transfer my account?
You should wait until after the kin leader (me) has transferred. This way, once you transfer, you will automatically be added back into the kinship on the new server.
If you transfer before the kin leader (me) then you will find yourself alone and kinless on the new server, as the kin will not yet exist. You will then have to seek out a re-invite from an officer.How do I start the transfer?
Q: How long does it take?
- Log in to the launcher
- Instead of selecting Play, select Transfer.
- Choose the server you wish to transfer from (Snowbourn)
- If you have characters on multiple servers and you wish to move them all to Laurelin, you must do one server at a time
- Choose the characters you wish to move from the old server. There will also be a tickbox for shared items (shard storage, wallet, wardrobe etc)
- Choose the destination server (Laurelin)
- Review your selection on the confirm screen, and start the transfer
Bear in mind that there is likely to be a lot of demand and queues on day 1:
To move my roster of 20 characters, shared storage, and the kin it took 5 hours, but that was on day 1.
Transfers for kinnies should be a matter of minutes now that the kin has transferred.Q: What happens if my name is already in use on the destination server?
If the existing character has been inactive for over a year, you will claim that name for yourself, and THEY get renamed instead. (YAY!)
If the existing character is actively in use, you will get a dash and a number applied to your name. Eg, If my character name is Brya, my name will change to:
- Brya-1 if Brya is already in use and I cannot usurp that name for myself
- Brya-2 if Brya is already in use, and Brya-1 is already in use
- Brya-3 etc etc until a number is free
Note that the "-1" will only be visible on your avatar (ie, your self-portrait, and if another user selects you) and any chat messages you make.
To be less intrusive with the immersion breaking, it does not display:
Q: How long do I have to transfer my characters?
- In the Kinship Roster
- In the Floaty name above your head
A: The closing worlds will remain open until the 4th April 2016
You should ideally move your characters before then, but they will not be deleted if you fail to move them in time. They will be archived away ready to be transferred to one of the remaining worlds whenever you return to the game.Q: Are Transfers free? How long will transfers remain free?
Transfers off of closing worlds are FREE
, and will remain permanently free.
Transfers from one surviving world to another are NOT Free, but will occasionally be opened for free transfers to help balance populations. Turbine have announced that free transfers off of surviving worlds will be opened at the following intervals:
- Dec 7th- Jan 3rd: Arkenstone & Gwaihir
- Jan 4th- 10th: Landroval & Belegaer
- Jan 11th- 17th: Crickhollow & Sirannon
- Jan 18th- Jan 24th: Gladden & Laurelin
- Jan 25th- Feb 29th: Brandywine & Evernight
- March 1st- 31st: Arkenstone & Gwaihir
- April 1st - May 1st: Landroval & Belegaer
- May 2nd- May 31st: Crickhollow & Sirannon
- June 1st- 30th: Gladden & Laurelin