Server conditions

Random chat discussion
Aedfrith

Server conditions

Post by Aedfrith » Tue Jan 19, 2016 9:25 am

Does anyone feel the speed of their game has improved since the data centre move?
Do people think it will (a) settle down and (b) EU servers will ever move to Amsterdam?

In my experience, it's been unacceptably bad for a couple of days - I logged my warden who was in Bree vault and it took him 10 seconds to build Conviction with masteries.

It has since then settled down to a "vaguely playable" level though still horrible at times; the most frustrating time is when you've been playing basically OK for a bit, decide to do an instance and all of a sudden get massive skill lag.

What are your thoughts?
Aedfrith - Yarrr! | Aldnoth - Respect mah authoritah!| Hrolfdan - Buurrp! | Rumbold - BAPPLE! | Morriarty - Yak-a-boo! | Hraldan - DORF! | Aldfryd - KYAI PAN TUO KYAI! | Aednoth - BOOM! | Rumbelina - :3 | Mishhar - Grroar!

Tarahen

Re: Server conditions

Post by Tarahen » Tue Jan 19, 2016 1:53 pm

For me gaming experience is worse now. Still have the same ping (around 130ms) but now I have all the added issues since de server move. To be honest, things are a little better now compared to the last week. Game is moderately playable. I managed to run some instances but still having some annoying problems: huge lag spikes from time to time, chat channels lost and being unable to send a tell or join a fellowship, disconnects when crossing doors...

I'm starting to suspect that the server move to NJ wasn't prepared at all. My theory is that they were planning to move them to Amsterdam but when the timeline was over they didn't have things ready in EU and they finished their contract or whatever in the previous location, so they needed to move the servers elsewhere.

As for their future moves... only Turbine knows...
Golgordar - Lore Master (105)
Tarahen - Captain (105)
Golgoroc - Guardian (105)
Gilbemiel - Minstrel (105)
Oleah - Warden (105)
Elannorel - Rune Keeper (105)
Golgovard - Burglar (32) Watch your wallets!

Arc

Post by Arc » Tue Jan 19, 2016 2:45 pm

Tried to heal RC T2 last night, with Bhorn and Jusbe.
We wiped many times, couldn't kill Thrug in spite of several attempts so had to skip past that one, and on Lumithil we couldn't survive for more than about a minute, so we finally gave up. :(

Skills not firing at all, or when they do it's with several seconds until finally triggering (even "instant" skills...), so I just couldn't heal it properly. People kept dying and there was nothing I could do to prevent it. And Jusbe couldn't build Gambits either; masteries not working properly, wrong build order all the time, etc. :?
We even had the 'Volcano of Doom' popping up at one point.

And all this is in addition to the all the other lag-related issues: rubber-banding all over the place (on war-steed AND on foot!), the whole screen completely freezing up to a still picture for 2-3 seconds, every 10 seconds or so, "Need to face target"/"Target not valid"/"Target already dead" messages, mobs teleporting from one place to another, more skill delays, and so on...

I'd hate to say it, but things were NEVER this bad on Snowy, on the old hardware. Sure there will always be some teething pains and hiccups when changing to a completely different system, but this... this is utter shambles, tbh.
Why they didn't even think there would be any need to do some PROPER testing - and by that I mean leaving e.g. Bullroarer running for SEVERAL WEEKS continuously to have lots of people testing normal, everyday activities and see what issues pop up, as opposed to only doing a 3-hour "load test" and leave it at that - is completely beyond me. :shock:

I also suspect Tara might be right; that due to contractual issues they had to make a quick move from one datacentre to another before they were really ready to do so. Let's just hope they get all this sorted out, and right quick, before too many people give up on the game completely and move onto other games instead. They can't really afford to keep doing this for much longer. =/
Archturus (the 'h' is silent!!) -- Rune-keeper, 105; Tailor
Deorwen -- Warden, 88+; Jeweller (+ Cook)
Gilbrindal -- Captain, 100; Historian
Kitsunegari -- Huntress, 100; Weaponsmith
Safirlotus -- Minstrel, (65+); Scholar
Skullrend -- Guardian, (52+); Jeweller
Nareraumo -- LM, (40+); Yeoman

Obion
Loading…

Post by Obion » Tue Jan 19, 2016 8:15 pm

I'm staying in the pre Rohan regions most of the time. Worked pretty well during the weekend, still has the freezes for 10+ seconds waiting for mobs to move and myself able to do things.
Trying to kill mobs standing around in new regions who already are dead was fun the first few times, but got old fast.

From my own experience with moving servers between locations I've done two versions. One is to copy a few virtual servers to the new location and test things, then move all the servers in one go. This is when we closed one site completely and had to move all the hardware over a weekend. Working non-stop Friday evening to Sunday is not something I can recommend. Things tend to get rather fuzzy at the end.
The other is to move one server at the time for production critical systems. Non critical can be moved a few at the time, but is determined what kind of demanded uptime the company have put in place. Takes bit longer but you risk less.

What is chosen in the end differs depending on what kind of company it is, how large it is, what kind of infrastructure they have in place and what type of SLA they have towards rest of the business. And ofc what kind of agreement they are trying to get away from/not having to renew.

During the testing periods on BR there where issues, chat was almost completely non-functional, fixing those problems probably ate most of project.

My own guess is that they simply ran out of time and was faced with either moving all in one go and deal with the problems afterwards.
Or pay rent on on 2 server locations. They probably had an exit date on the old lease and was faced with a renewal while they already committed to a lease in the new data-center.
Not ideal but it happens. And in the end it comes down to where you risk loosing the most. Could be that they calculated the risk/cost for moving and what problems could occur with that, was lower than having to pay rent for 2 data-centers leases.
What Vyvanne wrote also points me to the above guess
Just to confirm, yes on Monday all the US AND EU servers will move to the same datacenter in New Jersey. Further move dates are still to be determined. Due to contractual obligations and logistics it was a safer call to do it this way and then re-evaluate once more data is gathered.
https://www.lotro.com/forums/showthread ... ost7513424

As for EU servers on the proper side of the pond, I think it will still happen. But given the issues at hand I would say that will be a while before it happens.

Tarahen

Post by Tarahen » Wed Jan 20, 2016 7:50 am

Just to confirm, yes on Monday all the US AND EU servers will move to the same datacenter in New Jersey. Further move dates are still to be determined. Due to contractual obligations and logistics it was a safer call to do it this way and then re-evaluate once more data is gathered.
That last sentence is what scares me....
Golgordar - Lore Master (105)
Tarahen - Captain (105)
Golgoroc - Guardian (105)
Gilbemiel - Minstrel (105)
Oleah - Warden (105)
Elannorel - Rune Keeper (105)
Golgovard - Burglar (32) Watch your wallets!

Arc

Post by Arc » Wed Jan 20, 2016 2:30 pm

Yeah, me too... :?
Archturus (the 'h' is silent!!) -- Rune-keeper, 105; Tailor
Deorwen -- Warden, 88+; Jeweller (+ Cook)
Gilbrindal -- Captain, 100; Historian
Kitsunegari -- Huntress, 100; Weaponsmith
Safirlotus -- Minstrel, (65+); Scholar
Skullrend -- Guardian, (52+); Jeweller
Nareraumo -- LM, (40+); Yeoman

Obion
Loading…

Post by Obion » Thu Jan 28, 2016 2:14 pm

In case you missed it
Datacenter Status Update
Hi everyone.

With our datacenter transition still creating issues for many of you, I wanted to provide you with the latest update regarding the server stability issues.

While we have accomplished quite a bit we have much work to do to provide you with the service you deserve. When we moved our hardware from Boston to New Jersey, we not only upgraded our hardware, but we also had to move from an outdated Operating System to a new one. We also moved to a more modern set up of physical plus virtualized machines vs. just physical machines like we had before.

As with all software, there are a number of connection points to configure just right in a move as complicated as this and now that we are in the new location on the new hardware and OS we have found some issues in our configurations. We are working around the clock to address these issues as you have seen from the various down times you have experienced over the last couple weeks. Additionally we are working on code side fixes to correct the disconnections you are seeing which has to do with the servers smoothly transitioning your characters from one server to another. This transition time was affected by the OS and hardware upgrades.

Please note that some Internet Service Providers (ISPs) have not yet caught up with our new route. If you are seeing an increased ping time since the move, please submit a bug in game with the name of the ISP you are using. Putting in a ticket directly with your internet company telling them of the issue may help as well. We already have a couple tickets in with the main ISPs we have already identified with inefficient routes to our new home.

We did do extensive testing on the new datacenter, there are many things that did not come to light until we had the full live configuration online. We will continue working on this until the service is completely back online.

Once again we all thank you for your understanding and patience while we work through this.

Athena “Vyvyanne” Peters
Executive Producer, The Lord of the Rings Online™
https://www.lotro.com/forums/showthread ... ost7528029
Originally Posted by maartena View Post
Vyvyanne, I think a lot of people are still waiting for this "official statement" that was supposed be released last week. The post above was on 1/11, and "In the next week" would have been before Friday the 22nd. Of course the part "or so" might be open for debate regarding what kind of timeline that entails after the "in the next week" timeline.

In any case, I think a lot of EU players are very eager to know what is going to happen with their servers, and when.
I apologize for the delay on this. We are focusing on troubleshooting the New Jersey move and getting to a stable place then we can discuss what comes after.
https://www.lotro.com/forums/showthread ... ost7528103

Obion
Loading…

Post by Obion » Tue Feb 23, 2016 8:03 pm

Guess I was wrong thinking Turbine would stay true to their promise

https://www.lotro.com/forums/showthread ... ter-Update

Aedfrith

Post by Aedfrith » Wed Feb 24, 2016 12:17 am

Like two other kin officers who have posted in that thread, I will be unsubbing at the earliest opportunity.

Not one more red cent out of me. I have 6800 teepee and that should be enough to buy all future expansions.
Aedfrith - Yarrr! | Aldnoth - Respect mah authoritah!| Hrolfdan - Buurrp! | Rumbold - BAPPLE! | Morriarty - Yak-a-boo! | Hraldan - DORF! | Aldfryd - KYAI PAN TUO KYAI! | Aednoth - BOOM! | Rumbelina - :3 | Mishhar - Grroar!

Balthelion
The Almighty
The Almighty
Loading…

Post by Balthelion » Fri Feb 26, 2016 6:09 pm

ToTheEnd.gif
ToTheEnd.gif (469.08 KiB) Viewed 2526 times
ToTheEnd.gif
ToTheEnd.gif (469.08 KiB) Viewed 2526 times
GW2: Taikken ~ Vasuuki ~ Artuura
EVE: Marcus Rushe