Rangers of Eriador Server Transfer [IMPORTANT - PLEASE READ]

Random chat discussion
Balthelion
The Almighty
The Almighty

Rangers of Eriador Server Transfer [IMPORTANT - PLEASE READ]

Post by Balthelion » Mon Dec 14, 2015 11:22 am

If you have any questions, please feel free to ask in this thread.

Kin Transfer Status

You may now transfer to Laurelin
The kin has migrated and you are now safe to follow!

Things to do before you transfer
  • Log in all characters (including monster characters) to reset your "Last Played on..." date - This may help you in the event that your name is already in use, if your character is more active you may be permitted to steal the name from the existing character.
  • Empty your mailboxes on all characters - Mail will not transfer
  • Empty your Pending Loot windows - While I cannot be certain, I think you'll lose any pending loot too.
FAQs

Q: Why is this happening?

A: As part of turbine's efforts to consolidate the playerbase onto fewer remaining servers, and providing better hardware on those remaining servers, Snowbourn will unfortunately be closing down.

We therefore need to move to one of the FIVE remaining EU servers. Since two of these are german, and one is French, this leaves only two English language server options:
  • Laurelin [EN-RP]
  • Evernight [EN]
Following on from discussion with the kinship when the server merges were originally announced, we have decided that we will me moving the the Laurelin server.

Q: Why Laurelin, and not Evernight?

A: The pro's and cons of both servers were discussed at length within the kin before we reach the decision, but the main benefits of Laurelin are as follows:
  • RP Opportunities - A number of kinnies would like to give RP a go, but opportunities on Snowy and Evernight are slim. Laurelin also tends to set a lot of extra in-game player created events as a result of being the RP server.
  • Population / Name Clashes - The vast majority of English speaking transfers will go to Evernight, in many cases influenced by misconceptions and fears about an RP server. This means Evernight will end up with an oversized playerbase, and many names will be in use. As Snowbourn transfers last, most kinnies may find their beloved names are more likely to be taken on Evernight. On top of that, Evernight will be much worse for the dreaded lag.
  • Maturer Playerbase - Laurelin is known for having one of the more mature and sensible playerbases (pre-transfers at least), whereas Evernight has some well-known trollers and problem people (as does Snowy). That doesn't mean Laurelin will be troll free however (especially after transfers).

Q: What if i'm not interested in RP?
Just because Laurelin is listed as an RP server does not mean you have to RP.

However, you should be respectful of those in the world around you who are RPing. If you see two guys having an RP conversation in Bree, they will probably be quite happy if you interrupt their conversation in character. But if you interrupt poetry evening in the shire by spamming forced emotes or playing music, that will piss a lot of people off. And that would be true on any server, not just the RP one.

You may encounter RPing during instances too, but they won't hold it against you if you don't join in (although they'd love it if you did).

Q: What is the RP flag and how do I use it?

A: The RP flag gives other players a means to tell at a glance if you will engage in RP or not. It does this by subtly changing the colour of the name above your head. While on your name will be in White, While off, your name will be in a yellow/beige colour.

On Snownbourn, many people will have activated the RP flag just to make their name white, because it looks nicer. On Laurelin, you should make proper use of the RP flag to indicate your prefered RP status using:
  • /rp on
  • /rp off
If you walk around with the RP flag on, you will likely have people come up to you and interact with you in-character. They will then understandably be salty if you then do not respond in character.

If you have the flag off, then RPers should notice and respect the fact that you do not want to engage in RP.

Q: What if my name is not appropriate for an RP server?

A: Odds are you're probably worrying to much, as the naming conventions are not as strict as most players think. Generally speaking, everything is fair game unless it really breaks the immersion. So blatantly naming your character after a member of the fellowship with some minor grammar tweaks (eg, Gundalf, Aragorrn, Legolass) are a no-no. Similarly, stupid names are also a no-no (eg elfhunter, ishootorcs, killerdwarf). As is any name which totally breaks immersion (eg, cocacola, katniss everdeen)

As a kinship, we've tended to avoid recruiting people with such silly names, since they tend to be immature or otherwise problematic individuals anyway.

As a result 99% of characters in the kin should not have issues with their names. The few characters that may have questionable names may need to be renamed overtime. But experience tends to be that if a player doesn't bother putting much effort into their character's name, they generally aren't really too attached to it anyway.

Q: I'd like to stay with the Rangers, but I'm not sure Laurelin is the right server for me

You could consider starting a brand new character on laurelin to test the waters, and move your existing characters later if you prefer.

Or you could move all your characters to Laurelin, see how it goes, and if you don't like it you can transfer off of Laurelin in the coming weeks (Transfers off of laurelin will be free for a limited window, see below questions).

Or you could consider moving some of your characters to Laurelin, and leaving the rest on Snowbourn or moving them elsewhere for now.

Q: What if I don't want to go Laurelin with the Rangers, and I want to transfer to another server instead?

A: You are of course welcome to do so, although we will be sad to see you go. Be sure to pop by on the forums to say bye so we can wish you well in person!

Remember that you can only transfer your characters to one of the other 4 remaining EU worlds. You cannot transfer to the American servers. Keep in mind that only one of the servers is English as a main language - The others are French (FR) or German (DE). Your other options are therefore:
  • Evernight [EN]
  • Belegaer [DE-RP]
  • Gwaihir [DE]
  • Sirannon [FR]
As with our usual policy for people leaving the kin, you are always welcome back and our doors are always open. However, since you would be on a whole different server, this may be difficult as you may not necessarily have a free transfer back to us.

Q: When should I transfer my account?

You should wait until after the kin leader (me) has transferred. This way, once you transfer, you will automatically be added back into the kinship on the new server.

If you transfer before the kin leader (me) then you will find yourself alone and kinless on the new server, as the kin will not yet exist. You will then have to seek out a re-invite from an officer.

How do I start the transfer?
  • Instead of selecting Play, select Transfer.
  • Choose the server you wish to transfer from (Snowbourn)
    • If you have characters on multiple servers and you wish to move them all to Laurelin, you must do one server at a time
  • Choose the characters you wish to move from the old server. There will also be a tickbox for shared items (shard storage, wallet, wardrobe etc)
  • Choose the destination server (Laurelin)
  • Review your selection on the confirm screen, and start the transfer

Q: How long does it take?

Bear in mind that there is likely to be a lot of demand and queues on day 1:

To move my roster of 20 characters, shared storage, and the kin it took 5 hours, but that was on day 1.

Transfers for kinnies should be a matter of minutes now that the kin has transferred.

Q: What happens if my name is already in use on the destination server?

If the existing character has been inactive for over a year, you will claim that name for yourself, and THEY get renamed instead. (YAY!)

If the existing character is actively in use, you will get a dash and a number applied to your name. Eg, If my character name is Brya, my name will change to:
  • Brya-1 if Brya is already in use and I cannot usurp that name for myself
  • Brya-2 if Brya is already in use, and Brya-1 is already in use
  • Brya-3 etc etc until a number is free
Note that the "-1" will only be visible on your avatar (ie, your self-portrait, and if another user selects you) and any chat messages you make.

To be less intrusive with the immersion breaking, it does not display:
  • In the Kinship Roster
  • In the Floaty name above your head

Q: How long do I have to transfer my characters?

A: The closing worlds will remain open until the 4th April 2016.

You should ideally move your characters before then, but they will not be deleted if you fail to move them in time. They will be archived away ready to be transferred to one of the remaining worlds whenever you return to the game.

Q: Are Transfers free? How long will transfers remain free?

Transfers off of closing worlds are FREE, and will remain permanently free.

Transfers from one surviving world to another are NOT Free, but will occasionally be opened for free transfers to help balance populations. Turbine have announced that free transfers off of surviving worlds will be opened at the following intervals:
  • Dec 7th- Jan 3rd: Arkenstone & Gwaihir
  • Jan 4th- 10th: Landroval & Belegaer
  • Jan 11th- 17th: Crickhollow & Sirannon
  • Jan 18th- Jan 24th: Gladden & Laurelin
  • Jan 25th- Feb 29th: Brandywine & Evernight
  • March 1st- 31st: Arkenstone & Gwaihir
  • April 1st - May 1st: Landroval & Belegaer
  • May 2nd- May 31st: Crickhollow & Sirannon
  • June 1st- 30th: Gladden & Laurelin
GW2: Taikken ~ Vasuuki ~ Artuura
EVE: Marcus Rushe
SW:TOR: Tannik ~ Celandra ~ Korrun
League | Steam | Minecraft: LeoxStryker

Obion

Re: Rangers of Eriador Server Transfer [IMPORTANT - PLEASE R

Post by Obion » Mon Dec 14, 2015 7:03 pm

Some good to know info

Once you start the transfer, don't log in until you have received a mail from Turbine saying the transfer is complete. Apparently if you manage to log in to one toon, stuff or even alts might get stuck in limbo. On a heavy load day transfer time can take hours.
Your whole account is locked. So you can't post on the forum either.

https://www.lotro.com/forums/showthread ... ost7494118
There can be issues with some random rare items. If that happens to you there is no choice but to hit the Turbine support button and wait a few weeks for a reply.
Like this https://www.lotro.com/forums/showthread ... ost7495539

Housing
Houses will be lost.
* For your personal house, downpayment and withstanding upkeep will be refunded.
* Your decorations will be put in storage and reappear in housing chest once you purchase a new house.
* Kin houses decorations will be put in decoration owners housing escrow

Items in Mail
* Will disapear. Remember to empty mail before moving

Naming
* If you have created naming placeholders on Laurelin there is 2 options
- Delete the placeholder character before transfer and hope no one sneaks in and grab it before you
- Move your character. It will then be giver a replacement name + You will get a free renaming token. Delete the placeholder character then rename your actual toon using the token.
* If you haven't created placeholders
- Move your toon then if the name was taken use the renaming token to rename your toon.

Laurelin server
I took a sneakpeak the other day

* Server seems pretty friendly.
* Naming policy isn't that awful all things considered. Lore friendly names, SexMachine, XXXkillaXX and such are not considered lore friendly.
* World channel is not RP. And it has the usual trolls hanging around
* There is/was pretty busy in low lvl areas (Shire, Bree) as some who RP don't care about lvl, Race is more important.
* World seemed to have about the same number of calls for instances as Snowbourn
* As with all there are nutty ppl around. There where RP'ers patrolling Bree, yupp walking around patroling. Apparently there's a whole kin dedicated to Rohan. They do mounted patrols around the land and what not.
* They have other weird stuff going on. Friday song and poet reading in the Shire. Only Hobbits and occasional Dwarfs allowed since it would be unherd of the Elfs or big folks wandering around the Shire.
* http://laurelinarchives.org/ is a webpage where many of the events are put up. Just read them carefully as some do have restrictions.
* Don't poke the extreme lorists. Just move carefully around and ignore
* Mostly just be respectful to those that has chosen the RP way.

Balthelion
The Almighty
The Almighty

Post by Balthelion » Mon Dec 14, 2015 9:22 pm

And since Nost isn't here, I'll link a song suitable for the end of Snowy:

Aedfrith

Post by Aedfrith » Mon Dec 14, 2015 11:32 pm

Transfer process started... with Aed of course since he's the house owner.
The one I worry about is little Rumbelina since she's the leader of Ere's minions.
We'll find out tomorrow morning since I've been locked out of game (standard procedure).
Aedfrith - Yarrr! | Aldnoth - Respect mah authoritah!| Hrolfdan - Buurrp! | Rumbold - BAPPLE! | Morriarty - Yak-a-boo! | Hraldan - DORF! | Aldfryd - KYAI PAN TUO KYAI! | Aednoth - BOOM! | Rumbelina - :3 | Mishhar - Grroar!

Balthelion
The Almighty
The Almighty

Post by Balthelion » Tue Dec 15, 2015 2:21 am

Transfer finally completed 12:05am UK time :O

Epic result though: ALL characters with naming conflicts usurped their titles, except Kharmul-1 and Pendalas-2 :P
Charmap.jpg
Charmap.jpg (59.97 KiB) Viewed 44558 times
Charmap.jpg
Charmap.jpg (59.97 KiB) Viewed 44558 times
Originally only the greens would have transferred as-is. The yellows i was going to make do with minor alterations. I was salty about having to change Bal and Brya, especially being my two namesakes. But Kharmul didn't go though (As i later discovered its actually the name of one of the nazgul anyway) so he's likely to be renamed Orsvin. And Pendalas failed as well, but I can simply go ahead with the a > e switch i had planned.

Aedfrith

Post by Aedfrith » Tue Dec 15, 2015 7:25 am

Aedfrith's back baby - no need to change name either :mrgreen:

I got a real fright when I found an empty housing chest - you need to transfer shared items. Doing it now. (I really hope the Memorial of the Gaunt-Lords shows up again...)

I'm 4 Chestnut St again in the wonderfully named Clapwater, Bree. (Hmm... the water of a diseased dorf's pudenda. Yum.)

Bal hasn't rebought his kinhouse yet but I have access to one through Rumbelina being leader of Minions of Rhythm (the kinship for Ere's little ones) so 'll move her house to Clapwater and offer it as additional storage usable by RoE officers.
Aedfrith - Yarrr! | Aldnoth - Respect mah authoritah!| Hrolfdan - Buurrp! | Rumbold - BAPPLE! | Morriarty - Yak-a-boo! | Hraldan - DORF! | Aldfryd - KYAI PAN TUO KYAI! | Aednoth - BOOM! | Rumbelina - :3 | Mishhar - Grroar!

Tarahen

Post by Tarahen » Tue Dec 15, 2015 9:48 am

Transfer requested... Fingers crossed
Golgordar - Lore Master (105)
Tarahen - Captain (105)
Golgoroc - Guardian (105)
Gilbemiel - Minstrel (105)
Oleah - Warden (105)
Elannorel - Rune Keeper (105)
Golgovard - Burglar (32) Watch your wallets!

Obion

Post by Obion » Tue Dec 15, 2015 10:53 am

Moving, moving, moving...

edit.
That took about 5 mins. Haven't logged in yet so donno about items.
Only toon that needs a rename is Ophilia.

Balthelion
The Almighty
The Almighty

Post by Balthelion » Tue Dec 15, 2015 12:16 pm

Aedfrith wrote:I got a real fright when I found an empty housing chest - you need to transfer shared items. Doing it now. (I really hope the Memorial of the Gaunt-Lords shows up again...)
I purposefully emptied the kinhouse and my personal house of all chest contents and housing decorations prior to the transfer. So all decorations would have returned to their respective owners. Note that in my case, bound housing items were sent to my personal house chest and NOT escrow. I then got their respective owners to remove them.
Aedfrith wrote:Bal hasn't rebought his kinhouse yet but I have access to one through Rumbelina being leader of Minions of Rhythm (the kinship for Ere's little ones) so 'll move her house to Clapwater and offer it as additional storage usable by RoE officers.
I will look at that at some point tonight. Christmas party at work today, so I might not have time to do it until late. Will try and find a nice neighbourhood with lots of empty houses, so that we can all move in to the same neighbourhood. Will update the thread once I know where we are.

Panthelion

Post by Panthelion » Tue Dec 15, 2015 12:37 pm

Panth transferred, no renaming required, had a peek around this morning, everything seems just as it used to be so... what are we waiting for? :P
Panthelion - Your Neighbourhood Champion