All times are UTC [ DST ]

Page 3 of 4 [ 36 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: Why Bal should not own large sums of money
PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2013 3:49 pm 
The Almighty
The Almighty

Arc wrote:
Balthelion wrote:
LOTRO is now also installed on the SSD. Will be fun seeing what that is like tonight. I'll be jumping straight in on maximum graphics and full DX11 :shock:

<cynic> Enjoy the massive lag and repeated crashes! :mrgreen: </cynic>

Dear Turbine,

I am writing to you to complain about how i cannot play LOTRO on my new computer.

It is impossible to correctly steer my warsteed because attempting to turn is now far too responsive that I now do a full 360 turn in the time it previously took me to turn a little bit to the left.

Similarly, I can no longer ride successfully though towns, because telling my warsteed to stop 10 metres before the npc results in it stopping immediately, instead of bouncing around several times and coming to rest withing talking distance of the npc. This means that I have to manually move my horse to the NPC.

I can also no longer evade the attacks of the more difficult warbands by rubberbanding across the landscape to keep them guessing where I actually am.

Raiding has become equally difficult. My skill buttons are now executing immediately instead of performing lag inductions, meaning that I am unable to click them fast enough to queue up the next skill(s) without wasting time in my DPS rotation.

Load screens when entering a raid instance are also no longer providing me with sufficient time to cook my dinner and make a hot drink before they have finished. I am therefore having to raid on an empty stomach.

I also no longer receive a massive lag spike to alert me to the fact I have leveled up, therefore I am not aware that I need to go back to town to purchase new skills. Although with the new lagless-combat system you have introduced, this might be for the best.

I can no longer perform epic saves of dwarf NPCs in moria skirmishes, because the removal of lag as a raid mechanic has dumbed down this content to much, and made it far too easy to run in and grab agro when needed.

My map opens immediately, and this spoils immersion for me, as i can no longer imagine my character rummaging around his 6 inventory bags trying to find the correct map before opening it.

I can also no longer use my Runekeeper's skills to cause a time dilation effect to slow down the speed of boss fights to allow the members of the group with slower reactions to keep up. This is unfair on those people, as they will be expected to work harder.

Certain game features such as the panic inducing lag spike at the top of the first set of stairs in BG, which allows the uruk to run into the group and murder everyone, have been removed from the game? Why? This is another example of the game being dumbed down.

I hope you can see that this issues make the game unplayable compared to its previous state, and hope you will fix these issues in the near future.

Bal

SW:TOR: Tannik ~ Celandra ~ Korrun
League | Steam | Minecraft: LeoxStryker

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2013 5:08 pm 

Can't... stop... laughing... :lol:

You forgot to mention the situation in the Ettenmoors, where they've now starting to accuse you of exploiting the game, since you're able to wipe out a full craid before they're able to move at all and execute a takeover of Tol Ascarnen single-handedly! ;)

This obviously totally throws the entire balance in the area completely out of whack! :o

Kitsunegari -- Huntress, 100; Weaponsmith
Safirlotus -- Minstrel, (65+); Scholar
Skullrend -- Guardian, (52+); Jeweller
Nareraumo -- LM, (40+); Yeoman

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2013 6:26 pm 

Balthelion wrote:
Arc wrote:
Balthelion wrote:
LOTRO is now also installed on the SSD. Will be fun seeing what that is like tonight. I'll be jumping straight in on maximum graphics and full DX11 :shock:

<cynic> Enjoy the massive lag and repeated crashes! :mrgreen: </cynic>

Dear Turbine,

I am writing to you to complain about how i cannot play LOTRO on my new computer.

[snip awesome post of epic]

Bal, PLEASE post this on the official forums. PLEASE.

Aedfrith - Yarrr! | Aldnoth - Respect mah authoritah!| Hrolfdan - Buurrp! | Rumbold - BAPPLE! | Morriarty - Yak-a-boo! | Hraldan - DORF! | Aldfryd - KYAI PAN TUO KYAI! | Aednoth - BOOM! | Rumbelina - :3 | Mishhar - Grroar!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 10:26 am 
Danger Mouse
Danger Mouse

I followed your example boss and decided to make my life easier.

• Processor - Intel® Core™ i5-4440 Processor (6M Cache, up to 3.30 GHz)
  • Motherboard - GIGABYTE Z87-D3HP
  • Case - Cooler Master: CM 690 III
  • RAM - Corsair Vengeance 16GB (2x8GB) DDR3 1600MHz
  • OS - Microsoft Windows 7 64-bit Professional w/SP1
  • Primary Hard Drive (x1) (For OS, LOTRO, and important stuff) - SAMSUNG MZ-7PD128BW - The undisputed winner SAMSUNG 840 Pro Series MZ-7PD128BW 2.5" 128GB. 256 was an good choice also but I don't have any use of that space, I only keep here OS and Lotro
  • Additional Hard Drives (x3) - Western Digital WD Black Edition (5 years warranty) WD1002FAEX 1TB 7200 RPM 64 mb cache.
  • Graphics Card - the only weak point atm, Gigabyte NX96T512HP. Pretty old but I played Lotro today almost at very high details, pretty decent for such an old card.
  • Power Supply - RM Series™ RM650 — 650 Watt 80 PLUS® Gold Certified Fully Modular PSU
  • DVD Drives (x2) - 2 Sony BD-RW

The fact that Lotro was running so slow on my old PC was also an motive for me to not try to loose 5 min every time when I was logging in.
Cya later in game

LE. Noctua NH-D14 is awesome xD

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 11:28 am 

Looks great Andi.

And hurray for coming back! People are dying left and right in instances and many have forgot how to heal with the OP classes that's been since HD. You might be in an advantage there.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 9:36 pm 

Good to hear from you Andyracy!

Dumnomii - Chimp 100, Kiraail - Hunter 7x, Skidald - Grd 5x, Angmia - LM 4x
Skaven - RK 2x, Merrywin - Mini 8x, Kenne - Ward 3x, Xavin - Cpt 4x. Zaphyri - Burg 1x

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2014 7:06 pm 
The Almighty
The Almighty

And now the sequel...

Just splashed some cash on a tablet PC.

One of these:
http://www.acer.co.uk/ac/en/GB/content/series/iconiaw5

SW:TOR: Tannik ~ Celandra ~ Korrun
League | Steam | Minecraft: LeoxStryker

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 10:52 pm 
First Marshall
First Marshall

Bump! I recently owned a nice sum of money too :p

AMD FX 8350 4Ghz
AMD Radeon R9 290
ASRock 970 Pro3 R2.0
Kinston HyperX 4GB DDR3 1600MHz x 2
Kingston 240GB SDD SATA3
Seagate 2TB HDD
Samsung 24" LED screen

Transferring from a 4 year old Sony VAIO laptop with 15" screen.. All settings went from the lowest to high (not highest tho) and it seems to hold out in skraids atleast

Here are your comparison photos :)

Attachments:
File comment: Some breathing room for a change :)
comparison32.jpg
comparison32.jpg [ 214.88 KiB | Viewed 4141 times ]
File comment: Normal tanking on new pc
comparison22.jpg
comparison22.jpg [ 254.49 KiB | Viewed 4141 times ]
File comment: Normal tanking on lappy
comparison12.jpg
comparison12.jpg [ 223.68 KiB | Viewed 4141 times ]

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 1:34 pm 
Danger Mouse
Danger Mouse

sounds great Nethy
you will not crash anymore except when you will run out of memory and you will see how nice is Lotro as graphics.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 2:25 pm 

I'm very happy for you, Neth! ANY kind of new rig will be a vast improvement over a laptop! :D

Am I the only one who can't see much difference in the screenshots though!? o.O
Apart from the higher resolution pulling UI elements further apart etc. that is.

andrac wrote:
sounds great Nethy
you will not crash anymore except when you will run out of memory and you will see how nice is Lotro as graphics.

Assuming he will run it in 64-bit mode on a 64-bit OS (Win7 or XP preferred, I'd say), he shouldn't run out of memory (and should not crash). :)
The really big problem with Lotro is that it is really a 64-bit application under the hood, trying to pose as a 32-bit one and tricking the OS into believing it's a 32-bit application instead. Meaning it will start and be allowed to run on a 32-bit OS, but will have 'issues' (to put it mildly) - not the least of which being that it deliberately tries to acquire resources (or access memory addresses) it isn't allowed to and the OS won't let it, and hence the client crashes as a result. :x
On a 64-bit system this isn't a problem since there is sooo much empty room in the playground, so the client can have free reigns to run around as much as it wants, without issues.
It's a band-aid 'solution' to sweep really bad coding under the rug. If they had done it properly in the first place, this wouldn't be needed at all (and as a bonus, the game would run much more smoothly as well - even on older systems!). :roll:

In other words; it's like needing an 8-lane-wide highway instead of 4, in order to not go off the road in the curves, because the steering, suspension and general handling of the car driving on it is so dodgy (does anyone remember 'DKV' cars btw? heh) that it needs the extra buffer in width to not fly off and crash. Whereas a 'normal' car would be just fine with 4 lanes without any danger of going off regardless.
And something with an excellent handling, steering and suspension right from the base design (e.g. a Porsche), would not need more than 1 lane and could even traverse it at 2-3 times the speed as well, while also putting much less strain on the driver handling it at the same time! ;)

But I'm not bitter, hehe.... :P

Kitsunegari -- Huntress, 100; Weaponsmith
Safirlotus -- Minstrel, (65+); Scholar
Skullrend -- Guardian, (52+); Jeweller
Nareraumo -- LM, (40+); Yeoman

Page 3 of 4 [ 36 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next