Total Price: £1,712.27
(Including £20 or so delivery charge)

Final Specs
  • Processor - Intel Core i5 3570K 3.4GHz Socket 1155 6MB Cache
  • Motherboard - Asus P8Z77-V PRO Z77
  • Case - Coolermaster CM 690 II Advanced
  • RAM - Corsair Vengeance 32GB (4x8GB) DDR3 1600MHz
  • OS - Microsoft Windows 7 64-bit Professional w/SP1
  • Primary Hard Drive (x1) (For OS, LOTRO, and important stuff) - SanDisk Ultra Plus SSD 256 GB (530MB/s Read / 445MB/s Write)
  • Additional Hard Drives (x5) - Seagate 3TB Barracuda 7200RPM 64MB Cache (Yes: 5 of these)
  • Graphics Card - EVGA nVidia 760 GTX SC (Superclocked) ACX (Active Cooling Extreme) 2GB GDDR5 Dual DVI HDMI DisplayPort
  • Power Supply - Corsair CX750M 750W Modular Power Supply
  • DVD Drives (x2) - Liteon Ihas120 20x Dvd±rw (dual ±r)/ram Sata Drive
  • Assorted Cables & Fans

Should arrive Tuesday, then I just need to assemble it, and hope I'm not missing any screws or something.

If this can't run LOTRO on maximum graphics settings, and no issues with mounted combat or raiding or the Helms Deep Expansion... then nothing can.

SW:TOR: Tannik ~ Celandra ~ Korrun
League | Steam | Minecraft: LeoxStryker

Post subject: Re: Why Bal should not own large sums of money
PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2013 7:36 pm 
Danger Mouse
Danger Mouse

boss, gratz. That will really make your life better.
THe one thing i dont get it is the prices ...

these should be those pieces, more or less
(my link on Corsair have DDR at 1866 and not 1600, we dont have that model of SSD and LiteOn, the power supply is not the same serial).

http://www.emag.ro/procesor-intel-174-c ... EQN4TBBBM/
http://www.emag.ro/placa-de-baza-asus-s ... EHLB0BBBM/
http://www.emag.ro/carcasa-cooler-maste ... ER1JTBBBM/
http://www.emag.ro/kit-dual-channel-cor ... E99CNBBBM/
http://www.emag.ro/microsoft-windows-7- ... E04L7BBBM/
http://www.emag.ro/hdd-seagate-barracud ... EVHTTBBBM/
http://www.emag.ro/placa-video-evga-nvi ... DX2CXBBBM/
http://www.emag.ro/sursa-corsair-750w-a ... ETVNDBBBM/

All togheter + one random SSD and 2 DVD-RW should be around: 1250 £. ANd i am not even speaking about discount since these is an huge amount of money, and other promotions. Dam, UK is expensive hehe

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2013 9:31 pm 

nice!
At the very least you should have faster loading time when going through doors in LOTRO :)

Got an EVGA graphics card too (770 version). Very satisfied, fan is so quite I had to get a fan controller for the chassi fans since they suddenly where making alot of noise.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2013 10:09 pm 
The Almighty
The Almighty

Well I probably could have shopped around a bit (in the end i just got everything from my favourite seller). Unfortunately my second favourite seller's website is down for a revamp, so couldnt check out if they had the same parts for better prices or not. And anywhere else that's of reasonable repute is more expensive, and I don't like trying out new place for PC parts :P

Could have probably saved a reasonable amount by buying cheaper versions of the same HD/SSD storage capacity, of same model of gfx card, etc. But i decided to pay a bit more for known good quality brands. (And don't ask me who LiteOn are. But apparently they made the DVD drives in my current PC, and they've been great the last 4 years. :P)

Going with known brands has been important for this one, since my last two PCs were built around both MoBo's and gfx cards made my XFX. But they dont do MoBo's anymore. And so many gfx cards these days are made by companies ive never even heard of. So I may end up paying a bit more, but at least I know the parts are reliable, or covered under warrantly in the unlikely event taht they explode. :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2013 1:56 pm 
Hard Boiled
Hard Boiled

You forgot the self-contained liquid cooling system. ;)

Balthelion wrote:
OH SHIT!
I've gone and done it! :shock:

Total Price: £1,712.27
(Including £20 or so delivery charge)

Final Specs
  • Processor - Intel Core i5 3570K 3.4GHz Socket 1155 6MB Cache
  • Motherboard - Asus P8Z77-V PRO Z77
  • Case - Coolermaster CM 690 II Advanced
  • RAM - Corsair Vengeance 32GB (4x8GB) DDR3 1600MHz
  • OS - Microsoft Windows 7 64-bit Professional w/SP1
  • Primary Hard Drive (x1) (For OS, LOTRO, and important stuff) - SanDisk Ultra Plus SSD 256 GB (530MB/s Read / 445MB/s Write)
  • Additional Hard Drives (x5) - Seagate 3TB Barracuda 7200RPM 64MB Cache (Yes: 5 of these)
  • Graphics Card - EVGA nVidia 760 GTX SC (Superclocked) ACX (Active Cooling Extreme) 2GB GDDR5 Dual DVI HDMI DisplayPort
  • Power Supply - Corsair CX750M 750W Modular Power Supply
  • DVD Drives (x2) - Liteon Ihas120 20x Dvd±rw (dual ±r)/ram Sata Drive
  • Assorted Cables & Fans

Should arrive Tuesday, then I just need to assemble it, and hope I'm not missing any screws or something.

If this can't run LOTRO on maximum graphics settings, and no issues with mounted combat or raiding or the Helms Deep Expansion... then nothing can.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2013 2:29 pm 
The Almighty
The Almighty

I've yet to mess around with water cooling, and don't want to start now since i'll probably end up with water leaking over my parts :P

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2013 7:09 pm 
Hard Boiled
Hard Boiled

When you do, check out the Corsair H100i: it's the system I put into my monster. :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2013 10:27 am 
The Almighty
The Almighty

Well after a lot of sweat (Thankfully no blood this time, or tears), I've gotten it operational. :twisted:

It really is a monster. Currently only has 8 fans in it (Fan #9 I couldn't fit without a tiny or right-angled screwdriver, and Fan #10 requires the removal of the rack housing 4 of my hard drives) I may fit Fan #9 if I can find the means to do so.

There is an absolute fuckton of cabling in it (thankfully hidden behind the back panel in most cases, although trying to fit that back on afterwards was reminiscent of trying to squeeze everything into your suitcase when you go on holiday)

Runs remarkably quiet, except for what I think seems to be a single fan, which is a tiny bit noisy. And one fan is rotating slower than the others, so it might be slightly catching on a wire. Temperatures are pretty good across the board too, but ofc I haven't tried to do anything too extreme yet.

The graphics card is an absolute beast. The quality of its construction is immediately apparent upon getting it out of the box, and looks to have justified the price. Given that this was a bit of a blind pick going with EVGA, I have to say I'm very pleased so far. Can't wait to put it through it's paces.

Motherboard was a bit of a pain to fit, but I got there in the end. It did have a wireless chip in it, but I gave up in the end, since i suspect that was the main (or one of many) reason why the board was so hard to align with the screws. That was a bit of a shame. I prefer wired connections anyway, but unless I've got a spare ethernet cable lying around, it means I can only connect one PC to the internet until the switchover is complete (So no Playing EVE while the new PC downloads stuff and runs updates). The BIOS is a sexy beast though. Full keyboard/mouse support and a sexy UI.

Did have a bit of an issue after getting windows operational. It had decided it wanted to use one on the non-SSD (read: non - C:\) disks to create a 100MB boot partition. As if that wasn't bad enough, it meant that the remaining space was inexplicably then divided into two parts (roughly 2TB and 700GB) that could not be combined into a single drive. Hell, the 700GB part couldnt even have a drive made on it AT ALL. Eventually after some googling i found a recommendation for some software (EasyBCD) which was capable of moving this boot partition onto the C:\. So i just had to run that, transfer it to C:\, then restart the PC, go in the bios and change the Boot order to the C:\ instead of the other drive, and restart again. Hey presto, I can then format the fucker and reformat it into a single drive like the other 4.

The net result is that I now have a fully operational PC. I stopped after all that though, so I pretty much just have the clean windows install atm. Tonight I'll start installing programs, hopefully connect it to the internet to download LOTRO and install that on the SSD.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2013 10:06 am 
The Almighty
The Almighty

So far so good on the PC transfer. Unfortunately I have so much stuff on the old PC that movingit all across takes time.

However - This is where the awesomeness of the new oc shines though. It has a little slanted bay in the top where you can just dunk a HDD, and its connected to the PC. Done. That simple. As easy as plugging in a USB stick. I don't even have to open the case :)

So yeah, being above to transfer directly HDD>HDD is a lot fast than any of the other alternatives (like moving via external HDD). Unfortunately, when I have to transfer the data from FOUR internal drives and TWO external drives, it's still a bit of a pain in the ass.

I think overnight one of the Externals should have finished transferring, along with my rather enormous steam games folder. Providing the steam games will work, then that's effectively the game drive copied over (Since all the CD-based games will need to be manually re-installed).

Media and Stuff drives will take a while to copy over, and until I do something about it, I have no music or Films/TV to watch on the new PC. The one advantage of that so far is it encouraged me to rummage around a large pile of DVDs that I have yet to watch, and I picked the Amazing Spiderman. And it was actually pretty good. Better than the previous trilogy.

LOTRO is now also installed on the SSD. Will be fun seeing what that is like tonight. I'll be jumping straight in on maximum graphics and full DX11 :shock:

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2013 2:47 pm 

Balthelion wrote:
LOTRO is now also installed on the SSD. Will be fun seeing what that is like tonight. I'll be jumping straight in on maximum graphics and full DX11 :shock:

<cynic> Enjoy the massive lag and repeated crashes! :mrgreen: </cynic>

Kitsunegari -- Huntress, 100; Weaponsmith
Safirlotus -- Minstrel, (65+); Scholar
Skullrend -- Guardian, (52+); Jeweller
Nareraumo -- LM, (40+); Yeoman

Page 2 of 4 [ 36 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next