It is currently Tue Oct 17, 2017 2:11 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Page 1 of 4 [ 36 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Why Bal should not own large sums of money
PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 3:19 pm 
The Almighty
The Almighty

Hmm. Well I decided out of curiosity to see how much it would cost for me to build myself a new PC. And going "all out" in terms of parts this time too.

Turns out it's about a months pay :mrgreen:

But it would be SOOOOOO GOOOOD!
And actually capable of playing LOTRO instead of LAGTRO

Specs
Note: This is compiled from one site's products and prices, so some parts i may be able to get cheaper elsewhere, and I may not have fully read the smallprint in each case. Not Linking specific products because these are likely to change, but I can link them if you want them.

• Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit (Up Yours, Win8!)
  • MSI Thunderbolt Motherboard (It's shiny blue and had a cool name)
  • Intel I5 3570K 3.4Ghz Quad-core Processor (Seems to be ones of the best I5's)
  • Plextor 256GB SSD (For Windows and LAGTRO)
  • Seagate 3TB HD [x5] (One for games, one for Media, 3 for serious YouTubing!)
  • NVidia GTX 660 MSI (The 660 range was the biggest number without orbital price costs.)
  • 32GB Corsair DDR3 1600Mhz RAM - (THIRTY TWO! Because I Can! Because its the RAM LOTRO needs!)
  • Corsair 750W Modular Power Unit (I'm pretty sure this is overkill, and a 650w or possibly even a 550w would still be plenty, but I'm just window shopping at this point :P)
  • Some DVD Drives (Havent explicitly looked at these yet, but let's call it two at £20 each, though 4 is tempting if i can get the sockets to fit them.
  • Coolermaster nVidia case (This seems to be the sequel to my current PC's case but tbh, I prefer my current one. Tempted to strip it out, give it a good clean, and re-use it.)

Total Estimated Cost: £1,500
Additional fans, cables, screws and pimping not included. :lol:

So yeah. It's expensive. But GOD DAMN, it would be sweet.

Will be heading into new territory with brands though. My last two PC's I built myself were built around XFX GeForce cards and MoBo's, and I've always loved those guys, but sadly they don't do the boards anymore. Beyond knowing that MSI is one of the larger parts brands, i really don't know much about them or their tech, but the reviews for these specific items sound good, and if they pair together as well as my XFX Gfx Cards and mobo's have, I'll be more than happy.

Don't think I've really come across Plextor before either, but the product seems well rated. Corsair and Seagate are of course tried and tested brands.

Anyone else have any input on these brands/parts?

SW:TOR: Tannik ~ Celandra ~ Korrun
League | Steam | Minecraft: LeoxStryker

Post subject: Re: Why Bal should not own large sums of money
PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 3:34 pm 
Danger Mouse
Danger Mouse

Balthelion wrote:
Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit (Up Yours, Win8!)

+1
Balthelion wrote:
MSI Thunderbolt Motherboard (It's shiny blue and had a cool name)

decent. Personaly i always used Asus or Gigabyte but will make her money
Balthelion wrote:
Intel I5 3570K 3.4Ghz Quad-core Processor (Seems to be ones of the best I5's)

agree, is THE I5, the rest are garbage
Balthelion wrote:
Plextor 256GB SSD (For Windows and LAGTRO)

Plextor does build SSD? hmm
Balthelion wrote:
Seagate 3TB HD [x5] (One for games, one for Media, 3 for serious YouTubing!)

you can take 1,5 TB, same build, slighty slower but 500 gb extra with few bucks
Balthelion wrote:
NVidia GTX 660 MSI (The 660 range was the biggest number without orbital price costs.)

yes 660 is the best money/value ratio, iirc had 196 bits bus but no one is perfect
Balthelion wrote:
32GB Corsair DDR3 1600Mhz RAM - (THIRTY TWO! Because I Can! Because its the RAM LOTRO needs!)

because you can. Absolutely useless imo and you know that even 16 would be WAY too much. But because you can :mrgreen:

Btw, gratz if you make 1,5k pounds on month, nice amount.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 3:59 pm 
The Almighty
The Almighty

andrac wrote:
Balthelion wrote:
Seagate 3TB HD [x5] (One for games, one for Media, 3 for serious YouTubing!)

you can take 1,5 TB, same build, slighty slower but 500 gb extra with few bucks

I think you've misunderstood this. It seems like you think i mean 1TB hard drives, and three of them. I mean 3TB harddrives, and FIVE of them (=15TB) :shock:

andrac wrote:
Balthelion wrote:
32GB Corsair DDR3 1600Mhz RAM - (THIRTY TWO! Because I Can! Because its the RAM LOTRO needs!)

because you can. Absolutely useless imo and you know that even 16 would be WAY too much. But because you can :mrgreen:

Yes, I know that 16GB should be plenty. But trying to buy the EXACT same RAM sticks years after you bought some if you want to add more ram is a pain in the ass. You can never find them. Same for graphics cards for SLI/xfire. I don't think it matters as long as they are matched in pairs, but i would rather have 4 of the same brand/model.

So i either get 4x4GB sticks for 16GB ram (and have to throw the lot later if i upgrade to more ram), or get 2x8GB sticks and have two free slots for later with no guarantee i can get matching ram, or i just get 4 sticks now :D.

I am also working on the assumption that i can never have too much RAM, like if I intend to render youtube videos, and still play games on ultra settings (or lotro on any setting :lol: ) at the same time. Or even several games and rendering. :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 4:06 pm 
Danger Mouse
Danger Mouse

yes, my bad with hard drives. And yes, more memory, better. Bill Gates was horrible wrong with his 64 kb, screw him.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 4:57 pm 

Nvidia GTX 760 might be valid choice. Whole 660 series seems to be on its way out. There will be sales on the 600 versions in the late summer or fall. I would either wait for that or move to 700 series. Atleast go for 660 Ti.

Perhaps cheaper if you get 2 * 120GB SSD insted of 1 large. I have 2, one for Lotro and one for OS. Can also put 2*SSD in I/O for extra fun (example - http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/ssd ... 485-7.html)

32GB RAM can be useful when rendering RAW pictures or movies. But Lotro isn't that intense, I'm running 2 virtual machines (2GB each), EVE and Lotro and still have about half left of my 16GB.

i5 is very good when it comes to what you get for the money. But since Haswell has arrived, although not that common yet, so Ivy bridge will be cheaper in not to distant future. i7 3770K was fairly cheap I thought, and the K means it is unlocked (unlocked multiplier) so if you want to tweak some after 2-3 years to get some extra out of it chances are you will.

Reason for getting 4*RAM modules, of same model, at ones is that you get same CAS and frequency. But as long as you get those things right you can add RAM later on. Else it will run on the slowest numbers. Think most motherboard have dual channels, so just be sure RAM modules are paired correctly.

And for lag free Lotro, I wouldn't count on it.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 5:15 pm 
The Almighty
The Almighty

getting two SSDs would severly downsize on my total diskspace (since i'm limited to 6 SATA sockets on pretty much any motherboard on the market). OS, Programs, and LOTRO are the only things that really benefit from the SSD, since normal games are actually programmed with some degree of competency.

All the motherboards tend to only have 2x SATA-III sockets though, plus 4xSATA-II sockets. Not entirely sure why. USB sockets have a similar problem. Anyway, It would mean that the SSD and the normal HD for gaming would be using the SATA-III lines. The four remaining drives are basically for file storage, so performance isn't really an issue.

---

As for the graphics cards, they're about £50 more (~£210 v ~£160) for a 760 than a 660. Havent really looked at the performance difference (very similar specs), but the 660 i looked at was pretty damn good. And most of the 760 card models are people i've never heard of (except gigabyte)

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 11:37 pm 

MSI Z77A-GD80 ATX - http://www.msi.com/product/mb/Z77A-GD80 ... ?div=Basic
If it's 4 SATA 3 ports your after and strictly MSI. No idea about availability since I don't know much about UK retailers.
Not as cool name, but the box says "Military class III". Has to count for something :)
Downside, it's Thunderbolt.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 7:32 am 

So you are going to have better hardware than LOTRO servers :twisted:

Seems good stuff. MSI is fine for motherboard. Don't know about Plextor SSD's. And 32GB should be more than enough for almost anything

Gilbemiel - Minstrel (105)
Oleah - Warden (105)
Elannorel - Rune Keeper (105)
Golgovard - Burglar (32) Watch your wallets!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2013 3:17 pm 
The Almighty
The Almighty

Hmm, aparently Win7 Home premium only supports 16GB ram (DAMN YOU MIROSOFFFFFFFFFFFFT!). So It's common sense vs gluttony. Home premium and 16GB ram, or Professional and 32GB ram.

I'm tempted to go for it. It will be future proofed from anything then - Even Turbine, no matter how badly they code the next few expansions. :mrgreen:

But in all honesty, I personally am not really getting anything more out of Pro edition than the ability to install more RAM.

-

Still undecided on whether to re-use my old case. The downside being I'd have no computer between pulling apart the old one, and getting the new one alive, instead of constructing it at a leisurely pace. Not to mention that I'd need somewhere to put all the old parts, expecially If im going to give the old pc to family. Found a cheaper (and blue) variant of my current case too, which is tempting. I seem to have my heart set on a blue theme for this one.

-

Obi: What's bad about the Thunderbolt series?

-

Gol: BBC Computers have better hardware than the LOTRO servers.

-

As a side note: anyone have any experience of record or connecting a gaming console to a PC? I'd love to be able to do YouTube recording for console games, but all the TV card thingies I've seen are a bit shitty. All I need is to have video/game footage appearing on the screen in windows, then I can just let FRAPS do the gruntwork with the actual recording.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2013 7:24 pm 

From what I can tell, haven't tried it personally but read about it, it's fairly new on the market so MB with that function have a nice increase in cost. It was released in 2011 but not many things use it yet, some light reading - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thunderbolt_(interface)

Reviews I've read isn't all optimistic about it mainly cause of how much more Thunderbolt MB cost and that it isn't commonly used yet (or ever will be. Who knows?)
Some reviews that talk about Thunderbolt MB
http://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/ms ... iew,1.html
http://www.tweaktown.com/reviews/4807/m ... index.html

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-ie/wind ... e#T1=tab01
Running a single PC at home Win7 home premium would be enough, if it wasn't for that RAM limitation and your desire for the number 32.

Page 1 of 4 [ 36 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next