Roots of Fangorn (RoF)

Help & Advice for Instances & Dungeons
Aedfrith

Roots of Fangorn (RoF)

Post by Aedfrith » Tue Mar 13, 2012 9:44 am

Completed T2HM yesterday with Grim, Eggie, Hal, Andy and Catti.

Short but challenging instance. T2 adds have about 5% more morale than T1. T2HM is to kill the last boss without any of the 6 Fangorn Roots dying. More on these later.

As you enter the instance, you'll find yourself in a cave overlooking a bridge.
Trash mobs: Shamans of Chaos - defilers who stick random pottable nasty DOTs on you - wounds and poisons typically. Orc Cleavers - big grunts with as you might expect melee damage.
2 pulls of these, 2 cleavers and a shaman in T1, +1 of each in Tier 2.

Then you come into a cave with a fire in the middle to meet the 1st boss - a big orc. Mechanics:
1st - he stuns you.
2nd - he periodically says "I'll pound you into the ground!" and does a melee AOE rather like Tarsh in the School. Don't be close to him.
3rd - From time to time he will summon a couple of Shamans and Cleavers from the door at the back of the room as you enter it.
4th - Every so often a Panicked Goblin will spawn, with about 9k morale. If he gets out of the room he will run back down the corridor past where you entered and bring more orcs (typically 2 cleavers) with him. So kill him fast. He CAN be cc'ed. Catti and I stuck multi-traps down and the occasional Distracting Shot - seemed to work quite well.

When the boss gets to ~90k morale, he will summon ALL the remaining adds - "I want you all out here NOW!". Get the goblin down first, then the shamans, then decide whether to nuke the boss or kill the cleavers. Any remaining adds go green as soon as you kill the boss.

As you come out of this room you will notice webs all over the floor. You will have to fight 3 pulls of spiders (Web-Tenders). The first 2 rooms of these have 100k morale or so. As you get them down, 4 more spiders (Hunting Spiders) will spawn from each corner of the Web-Tender's room. Kill these fast, they stick nasty poison DOTs on you. The last room has one Web Tender with about 60% of the morale in. So of course he brings his mate from the back of the room. Everyone should therefore run right in - ranged classes particularly - to avoid being blind-sided. Also, Venomous Spiderlings will spawn (3.8k morale) - these MUST be killed as a priority. They put a HUGE, incurable poison DOT on you which reappears in the boss fight.

Finally, you will come to the boss room. It's one big-ass spider (520k morale on T2) standing in front of a waterfall, just behind a small pool. On each side of the pool there are 3 Fangorn Roots.

As you start fighting the boss, he will place incurable poison DOTs on you which can ONLY be cured by running near the glowing green root when the message "The Root tries to cure your poison" come up. These can stack up very fast. At periodic intervals Venomous Spiderlings with around 3.7k morale will spawn. They can appear from either end of the room - where you came in or in front of the waterfall. As the boss gets to low health they will spawn in the middle of the room too. They will go for a root and try to poison it. If they reach that root, they will take about 4 seconds to poison it to death.

If they hit you they will place a poison DOT on you which ticks for 5-6k per tick - insta-kill on any but a heavy.

The way to kill them now they have been nerfed is to have enough ranged DPS (2 of hunter/RK/LM) to zap them, and/or CC to stun or slow them, before they get to you.

The easiest tactic I've found is to have two RATs, one on each ranged DPS; DPS 1 watches the waterfall from the back of the room, while DPS 2 stands at the waterfall and watches the back and middle of the room. Tank tanks the boss on the little island on the LEFT of the room as we enter it.

Also, a CC class (LM or Burg) makes life much easier in both boss encounters.

Smoothest group I ever did it with was ranged-DPS-heavy: guard, cappy, healer, RK, hunter, LM. Burgs may find the first boss fiddly but will help a LOT on the second with interrupts, CJs and stuns.
Aedfrith - Yarrr! | Aldnoth - Respect mah authoritah!| Hrolfdan - Buurrp! | Rumbold - BAPPLE! | Morriarty - Yak-a-boo! | Hraldan - DORF! | Aldfryd - KYAI PAN TUO KYAI! | Aednoth - BOOM! | Rumbelina - :3 | Mishhar - Grroar!

Hardist
Man-At-Arms
Man-At-Arms

Re: Roots of Fangorn (RoF)

Post by Hardist » Tue Mar 13, 2012 10:30 am

Is this a new instance I don't know about yet? Sounds cool ^^

Hardist - Champion / Vendication - Guardian / Cuteron - Burglar / Deathron - Captain / Elmormo - Rune Keeper

Balthelion
The Almighty
The Almighty
Loading…

Post by Balthelion » Tue Mar 13, 2012 4:17 pm

Aedfrith wrote:As you enter the instance, you'll find yourself in a cave overlooking a bridge.
Trash mobs: Shamans of Chaos - defilers who stick random pottable nasty DOTs on you - wounds and poisons typically. Orc Cleavers - big grunts with as you might expect melee damage.
2 pulls of these, 2 cleavers and a shaman in T1, +1 of each in Tier 2.
Tier 1 had 2 Shamans + 2 cleavers in first pull, then s shamans 3 cleavers 2nd pull (might be other way round, but was 5 adds total)
GW2: Taikken ~ Vasuuki ~ Artuura
EVE: Marcus Rushe
SW:TOR: Tannik ~ Celandra ~ Korrun
League | Steam | Minecraft: LeoxStryker

Grim
Captain General
Captain General

Post by Grim » Tue Mar 13, 2012 5:00 pm

Aedfrith wrote:2nd - he periodically says "I'll pound you into the ground!" and does a melee AOE rather like Tarsh in the School. Don't be close to him.
He actually says 'Ill chop you to pieces' not pound you into the ground. That was hitting squishys for a few k so keep out the way.

Bit of clarification on adds in final boss, the adds seem to be gated on the bosses morale in a loose way, in that the maximum amount of spiders he can summon increases as the boss loses health. As near as I could tell he seems to be able to summon an extra add for every 50k health he loses which would add up to about 10 adds. If you kill any adds, they will respawn up to the his max number summonable at that time (which actually makes it harder because the tank has to reaggro). As aed said, best solution is just to have tank kite everything and single target dps the boss. Getting hit by venomous spiderlings gives you the 'venomous poison' dot, which is NOT curable by the roots. This was hitting me for about 2.5k despite the advertised '7000 damage every 2 seconds for 12 seconds', but that is on my heavily armoured and VERY heavily mitigated tank. Definite kill if this hits anyone else bar maybe cappys/champs if theyre lucky, so no one except tank hit adds!

Also ranged/tactical classes need to stay out the way of the kiting paths - boss seemed to hit some reasonable aoe and make suuure you dont pull aggro - let me tell you its DAMN hard to keep aggro off aed, catti and hal while kiting and trying to build aggro on a boss and 8-10 adds!
Grimhelmd - 75 Guardian
Turrion - 75 Captain
Tergon - 75 Loremaster
Terrann - 20 Warden
Grimthryd - 20 Champion
Grimharl - 9 Minstrel
Grimfoil - 1 Burglar

Grim
Captain General
Captain General

Post by Grim » Tue Mar 13, 2012 5:01 pm