It is currently Mon Nov 20, 2017 6:11 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 
 Post subject: Advice for newbie Champion, please?
PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2016 4:24 pm 

I hope it isn't presumptuous to ask for advice here: I've been following Balthelion's play-through videos avidly and they've been helpful in getting me started. However, I am worried that I might be committing some idiot newbie errors and hampering myself unnecessarily.

I have managed to reach Level 15 with my Human Champion, but it seems like mostly luck, and I'm already slightly overwhelmed by all the choices. Mainly, my worry is that I have simply upgraded the Medium Armour that I was given at the start: should I have moved to Heavy Armour? Also, I have acquired a two-handed Axe (I forget where) but should I have kept with the one-handed weaponry?

I confess to being a total MMO newbie: the last game I played for real was Doom II on a small coax network a couple of decades ago. I'm really into LOTRO for the lore and the joy of running around Middle-earth seeing things I've only read about before, but I would like to "do the thing properly".

Post subject: Re: Advice for newbie Champion, please?
PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2016 4:58 pm 

Hello!

Congrats on lvl15!

There are lots of choices in the game. Luckily you can happily adventure and learn as you go. And champion is a good and fun class. There are very little things you can do that are irreversal, race and class you can't change. But gear and skill trees are all changeable during you play. So try them out and see what you like best and is most fun for you.
Skills you can use are mostly colour coded. Red is damage and green healing. There are also blue and yellow but red/green covers most of the basics at start.

Heavy armour gives better protection (less damage to you) than medium. I would change to that when you have the chance.
One handed or a two hander is more of a personal choice to me. I like to use 2 one-handers (dual wielding) for aoe damage - Yellow line in the skill tree. You find skill trees by pressing the wizard button on the bar at the bottom (just left of your first skill, button 1).
For Red line I personally prefer a 2 handed weapon.
But you can happily use red line with a 2 hander and red using 2 one-handers.
Blue line is bit special. This is the champion line for tanking, absorbing lots of damage while keeping friends safe. Using blue line and a 2-hander makes you able to block enemy attacks. Sort of like fighting with a shield except you use your weapon instead.

As a member of the human race (possibly in real life too :) ) you will gain a racial skill that gives bonuses to sword damage. This is obtained by completing a deed (at lvl 25). As a champion, doing more damage is mostly a very good thing.

At level 15 you don't have that many skill points but will gain more as you advance. At start it's often better to spend your points in one line, but late in the game you will have enough points to pick some from the other lines. It costs 1 skill point in chosen line and 2 points picking a skill/bonus in the others.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2016 5:14 pm 

Obion wrote:
Hello!

Congrats on lvl15!
Thanks, it's been fun. I am quite completionist by nature, and it can be difficult to resist picking up everything and then running around in all directions trying to do stuff!
Quote:
There are lots of choices in the game. Luckily you can happily adventure and learn as you go. And champion is a good and fun class. There are very little things you can do that are irreversal, race and class you can't change. But gear and skill trees are all changeable during you play. So try them out and see what you like best and is most fun for you.
I forget which one I picked! Am I right that you can actually set up 2 skill trees and alternate between them?
Quote:
Heavy armour gives better protection (less damage to you) than medium. I would change to that when you have the chance.
I'll look out for some, thanks. Is there some kind of penalty to counter the advantage? Does it make me move slower or something?
Quote:
One handed or a two hander is more of a personal choice to me.
Thanks for the advice, I'll check out which line I am using right now.
Quote:
At level 15 you don't have that many skill points but will gain more as you advance. At start it's often better to spend your points in one line, but late in the game you will have enough points to pick some from the other lines. It costs 1 skill point in chosen line and 2 points picking a skill/bonus in the others.
I look forward to getting that far…

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2016 5:41 pm 

2 lines yes. And you can switch between them when ever you want, except when in combat.

No penalties.

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ]