It is currently Wed Aug 23, 2017 8:42 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 
 Post subject: LOTRO Video Tutorials
PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 12:10 pm 
The Almighty
The Almighty

I'm currently in the process of scripting some video tutorials for LOTRO. And to clarify, by that I don't mean Instances at this point. I mean covering systems like Virtues, Deeds, Storage, Cosmetics, Housing, etc for new players.

The idea is that I'll record the voice for the script, and then layer video footage demonstrating what is being talked about on top of it, which should result in a much more polished tutorial than if i recorded everything live in one go.

If there are any tutorials along these lines that you would like to see yourself, or think would be good for new players (perhaps a particular topic confused you when you started playing the game?) then let me know.

Possible Topics include, but are not necessarily limited to:
  • Virtues
  • Class Traits
  • Racial Traits
  • Legendary Traits
  • Storage (Vault/Shared)
  • Cosmetics (Cosmetic Slots & Wardrobe)
  • Housing (System & Escrow)
  • Legendary Items
  • Mounted Combat
  • Skirmishes / Skirmish Soldiers

SW:TOR: Tannik ~ Celandra ~ Korrun
League | Steam | Minecraft: LeoxStryker

Post subject: Re: LOTRO Video Tutorials
PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 1:59 pm 

The LI system, particularly legacy swapping and relics.
Setting up your UI - some helpful hints.
(a) Skill buttons: there's no one way to do it, but finding a logic that helps.
(b) Moving windows around; more helpful hints like putting travel skills on the right of the screen out of the way.
(c) Activating useful things like Show Target's Target - great for knowing who has aggro.
Setting up your camera (especially for group content).
Getting the most out of your graphics card and minimizing lag (e.g. turning post-processing off, and some combat effects).
Crafting - how to advance.
Tricks with travel (milestone, rep return skills, clever campfire placement for hunters, consider buying a 2nd milestone skill)
Playing freemium (Catti can advise here).
What to sell, what to save.

Aedfrith - Yarrr! | Aldnoth - Respect mah authoritah!| Hrolfdan - Buurrp! | Rumbold - BAPPLE! | Morriarty - Yak-a-boo! | Hraldan - DORF! | Aldfryd - KYAI PAN TUO KYAI! | Aednoth - BOOM! | Rumbelina - :3 | Mishhar - Grroar!

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 4:34 pm 

Here are some things that spring to mind, which could be useful for new players I think:

Class Deeds:
You've already touched upon this subject, so I don't know if you had already planned to include the following or not, but I think it would be good to go through things like the need to use some particular skill(s) X number of times per day for Y days (the Y changing depending on at which level (1, 10, 20....) the deed becomes available) in order to acquire the class trait connected to it. And also include mention that accelerators can be used, not only to double the accrual rate, but also to bypass the daily limit (X) - something that's definitely not immediately obvious to most players, least of all new ones. :)

Stable-Masters:
Another thing that is not apparent at all - in fact it can be very problematic to understand at first, since you're given NO help/tutorial/advice or even clue from the game at all on the subject - is what Stable Points are and how Stable-Masters work. Specifically, that you have to first actively click on any Stable-Master you find in order to 'discover' that particular location, in order for it to be possible to travel TO that location later, and also the somewhat subtle difference in icons between a 'discovered' and 'undiscovered' stable-point. It's very easy to miss these and just move away from the area if you don't happen to need to go somewhere else at the time, so that you might very well find yourself forced to manually ride there later, or even worse; run.
Add to this the confusion that some stable-points 'activated' by default so that you can always travel to that location without needing to discover it first (MD, TH, Celondim, West Bree), whilst most others are not. This is particularly strange in Bree-town, where West Bree is always available, but South Bree is NOT; it has to be manually discovered first... :?

Grouping:
I have no doubt you have already planned to include this somewhere, but I mention it anyway just in case. Since it appears that alot of people have no idea of how to operate within a group environment - even at higher levels! - since many just level solo or "with friend(s)" through the whole game, I think it would be very beneficial (to ALL, really, not just new players :P) to really go through some of the basic concepts involved in grouping in this game.
Things like:
  • Settings. Aed already mentioned mentioning of 'Vitals of Selection's Target' (and how it works), but also the many other Combat and group settings in Options; Raid Assist Target - what it is/means, the window, how to enable/move/use it (and how to follow it!!! :P).
  • Roles. 'Tank', 'Healer', 'DPS', 'CC' - what each one is and what they do (and don't do); what is expected and what you should/should not do in the particular role you happen to find yourself in as well.
  • Threat. Learn what 'threat' is - at least a basic understanding of the concept - and how to manage it! At a bare minimum knowledge such as "Who has aggro?" and "Don't pull aggro - of anything! - if you're not a 'tank'". Personally, I would also add valuable information about what to do (and more importantly: what NOT to do!!!) if they do happen to pull aggro. This is knowledge that sadly seems to be completely foreign to a lot of players even at lvl85 these days - and it's only getting worse, every day. :roll:
  • CJs. (I can hear Aed cheering even from here, hehe) What they are, how to trigger them, when to use them (and when not to), what each colour does by itself, how to build them into longer onces (straights, flushes and 'around the wheel' in either direction) and some common/good examples.
  • LFF. How and where to advertise, to form a group or to join one. Basic understanding of what (roles) are needed in general, for different group sizes.
  • Maybe something else as well...
I can honestly say that I had NO clue whatsoever about most of these things myself, when I first leveled up - even well into Moria! Haha :lol:

These are just some things that came to mind for now. I might think of some more later. :)

For my own part, the thing that confused ME the most (by far) was trying to grasp the LI system - tiers, ranks, major/minor legacies and the differences between them, and learning how to read those damn 'rune' symbols on the items. :D
I found that, while the game does give a 'tutorial' on the whole concept, it is woefully lacking. Hopefully you'll give a broader, deeper and better structured clarification on the subject. :)
It might also be a good idea to include some knowledge that only comes with a lot of experience - thus answering some FAQs, as it were - such as:
  • When deconning a LI, it is wiser to extract a MINOR legacy that you want (over choosing a major one, in case it has both), since it is far more difficult (and a real gamble) trying to find a minor when you need it than it is a major (which shows up on ID).
  • When to deconstruct a LI depending on purpose (legacy extraction, relics, ...).
  • To always try and keep all LI slots filled unless you need to have one (or more) slots free at the time, for maximum per-unit IXP gain from e.g. quest rewards and such.

Kitsunegari -- Huntress, 100; Weaponsmith
Safirlotus -- Minstrel, (65+); Scholar
Skullrend -- Guardian, (52+); Jeweller
Nareraumo -- LM, (40+); Yeoman

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 5:08 pm 
The Almighty
The Almighty

Stable masters can be rolled into one big "travel" turotial (along with milestones, Housing Ports, Hunter/Warden Ports, reputation maps and consumable maps.

-----

As far as deeds/traits are concerned, I've tried to split them out as best as possible. So Deeds in general, and each of the four trait types (virtue, class, race, legendary) will each be covered in their own tutorials. That said, for example the virtue one needs to touch upon deeds a little, but then the viewer would get pointed to the actual deeds tutorial if they wanted to do some further reading, so to speak.

Currently writing the Virtues & Deeds ones, since they are quite intertwined, and yet still need to be mostly kept apart for simplified tutorial purposes. It's amazing how many little tips, tricks and "hidden" info you can add to them (eg for deeds, being able to add how to unlock extra quest slots, or add deeds automatically to the tracker - things which are most definitely not immediately apparent to a new player)

If I can find the motivation over the weekend, I may even get around to recording all the necessary clips for one of them, so that I can begin the lengthy process of editing.

-----

A general grouping overview will be on the cards at some point, pretty much touching on what Arc said, about knowing how your character/class is interacting with the others, as well as preparing for grouping - Things like turning on RAT, Selection's target (Agro ring) and so on.

That probably wouldn't be covered until Trystana at least reaches The Great Barrow, and thus encounters group content however. And assuming we can get 5 more or less on-level rangers in a sensible group composition to appropriately show show group content in action.

SW:TOR: Tannik ~ Celandra ~ Korrun
League | Steam | Minecraft: LeoxStryker

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 5:50 pm 

The low-level characters I have to offer assistance with are:
Champ (currently lvl 35, but can't promise it will stay there)
Burg (currently lvl 25, but won't stay there for long at all)
And then some chars that are only used for storage/crafting: Champ 25, Minstrel 10, LM 9. :P

Kitsunegari -- Huntress, 100; Weaponsmith
Safirlotus -- Minstrel, (65+); Scholar
Skullrend -- Guardian, (52+); Jeweller
Nareraumo -- LM, (40+); Yeoman

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ]