It is currently Tue Jun 27, 2017 9:37 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Page 1 of 2 [ 15 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Let's Play LOTRO
PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 6:07 pm 
The Almighty
The Almighty

I'm strongly considering doing a "Let's Play" video series for LOTRO on YouTube in the new year. For those of you unfamiliar with what a "Let's Play" is, it's basically where someone plays through a game while doing a commentary, the idea of it being fun and/or informative, and to encourage new people to try out the game being played.

The Goal

My intention is to do this for a character leveling from 1 all the way to 85. It will almost certainly be using my (to be re-rolled) B-warden. I'm hoping to make the series equal parts funny and informative/tutorial. This way, new players can learn stuff as they theoretically play along (not necessarily in real-time) with the video series. Plus you get to see more of the crazy thought process and general silliness of me behind the keyboard. Since LOTRO's dialogue is not voiced, you'll probably also get me providing poor voice acting for all the NPC's along the way. Which will no doubt produce more laughs as I fail with all the attempted accents.

I won't be aiming for completing every quest, or indeed questing in every region of the game. For example, I might just do the Bree-land starter area. Although Ered Luin/Shire will probably be shown at some point, if not while deeding, then just for a tour.

Hopefully I'll also be able to cover most if not all instances in the video. Although I doubt these will be 100% tutorial focused (hopefully at some point I'll be able to do video tutorials for instances seperately). But I expect to point out the main points of consideration for each instance at the least.

I don't recall seeing a Let's Play for LOTRO on YouTube (indeed: it's quite an undertaking for any MMO!), so it should be quite interesting, and who knows? It might even become popular. In any event, It should hopefully further my aims of increasing the profile of our kin even further, and hell, it might even convince some existing players to join us, or even some brand new people to start playing LOTRO, and join both our server and kin to do it :)

What's Gonna Be In It

The series will hopefully aim to include as much live-action, normal speed footage as possible. Some things (like running to distant quest locations) will likely be edited out, although after displaying on the in-game map where i am headed before the cut, then resuming upon arrival. Other bits, like perhaps murdering a goblin camp for virtues might just be played at super-speed instead of edited out.

As I play though the game, I'll be explaining all the various systems of the game (Deeds, Virtues, Traienrs, AH...absolutely everything) as and when they become relevant (although there will no doubt be a lot to cover early on so that will get staggered). It may even allow/eneable/encourage me to simultaneously put up a matching text guide to various things on our kin website too, which could be linked from the video.

I will also be able to explain each new skill earnt by my character (in this case, warden no doubt), it's uses, tips & tricks etc, which besides being a great idea for any class, is really helpful for those confused by the advanced class that is the warden. Since I'm on a warden, you can no doubt expect the usual crazy epic pulls and man-moding.

Finally

Doing the series will be dependant on two things:

Firstly, that I can record with a better microphone. My usual scawny little thing is a broken little mess, isn't great quality, and i sound nothing like i do in RL :P. I do have another mic (which is a meaty bastard and not as comfortable to wear), but not sure about the recording quality.

Secondly, being able to record in widescreen. Either by finally upgrading to a widescreen monitor (preferable), or alternatively, having to make my 32" TV (which is connected as 2nd monitor) the priamry monitor while doing recording, so LOTRO can run on that. Not sure if, or how badly, that could potentially fuck up my settings and UI layout (i did try it once ages ago)

I'm also interested to know what you guys think of the idea, what things you think i should include or cover while doing the series, and anything else you can think of.

SW:TOR: Tannik ~ Celandra ~ Korrun
League | Steam | Minecraft: LeoxStryker

Post subject: Re: Let's Play LOTRO
PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 8:16 pm 

This sounds like an amazing idea!
I must say; I'm in awe of your massive dedication - seriously, I am! :shock:
This is HUGE - in more ways than one.

I would say lots of +rep for this, but that just sounds silly and inadequate by comparison, lol! :D

Kitsunegari -- Huntress, 100; Weaponsmith
Safirlotus -- Minstrel, (65+); Scholar
Skullrend -- Guardian, (52+); Jeweller
Nareraumo -- LM, (40+); Yeoman

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 11:29 pm 
Disturber of the Peace
Disturber of the Peace

I would like to see us getting video tutorials up of the instances tbh as these are the major area of the game and the major challenge throughout. I know we will storm the earlier ones however if we take less that ideal groups we can prove that anyone can do them, even with the new ones. Also if we can get say three different people willing, can get 3 main points of view on each fight, tank, healer and dps.

I think playing from the beginning is good however they are changing the looks of bree etc so i would say wait until then and so that you get the game at its best. If you need help with any of this through let me know, as long as im not at work i can provide some time to this.

https://zkillboard.com/character/93160905/

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 4:22 am 
The Almighty
The Almighty

nostborn wrote:
I would like to see us getting video tutorials up of the instances tbh as these are the major area of the game and the major challenge throughout. I know we will storm the earlier ones however if we take less that ideal groups we can prove that anyone can do them, even with the new ones. Also if we can get say three different people willing, can get 3 main points of view on each fight, tank, healer and dps.

Can certainly do some independant videos with willing kinnies, where We can basically discuss the tactics to the camera while we do it, And tank/healer/whoever acn contribute anything of note to the comversation as we go. Eg, "As a tank, you'll need to be watching out for this debuff here" or healer saying "You'll need to watch out for anyone with this effect and then overheal them to 100% morale to clear the debuff"

nostborn wrote:
I think playing from the beginning is good however they are changing the looks of bree etc so i would say wait until then and so that you get the game at its best. If you need help with any of this through let me know, as long as im not at work i can provide some time to this.

Update 9 is bringing bree, and i certainly am not starting before monday. In all likelihood I'd probably wait until after Update 10 too: The new intro is that awesome (And many people in kin might not be able to experience it any other way).

-----

As a sidenote: I MIGHT get the XP disabler for the character i use, to enable me not to outlevel stuff too fast. Particularly if I'm doing a lot of instances which grant a lot of XP, and i want to do them as on-level as possible.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 4:03 pm 
Captain General
Captain General

Sounds like a great idea, hope you have several terabytes of storage spare though :p I recorded my first KSP docking the other day and ended up with 30gb of videos xD

Terrann - 20 Warden
Grimthryd - 20 Champion
Grimharl - 9 Minstrel
Grimfoil - 1 Burglar

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 11:41 am 
The Almighty
The Almighty

Probably going to do a let's play for something else once my new 2TB hard drive arrives today, just so i can test about with the recording, and get used to the narrating.

Deus Ex & Deus Ex: Human Revolution are both looking tempting candidates :D

And because i'm hardcore, if it's DE:HR, i'll be playing through non-lethal style :P

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 11:47 am 
Danger Mouse
Danger Mouse

Balthelion wrote:
Probably going to do a let's play for something else once my new 2TB hard drive arrives today, just so i can test about with the recording, and get used to the narrating.

Deus Ex & Deus Ex: Human Revolution are both looking tempting candidates :D

And because i'm hardcore, if it's DE:HR, i'll be playing through non-lethal style :P

boss, those are nothing compared with the initial Deus Ex wich imo was the best one. Sugest to try that first, even the 2000 graphics will be scare you an little :))

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 11:58 am 
The Almighty
The Almighty

Yes, the first one was the best, i love it.

The second (Invisible War) was awful, and didn't deserve to be called a Deus Ex game. Which is why i didn't consider it above ^^

The third (Human Revolution) was great however, and deserving of the name again.

The first game is graphically dated, but still the slightly better game IMHO :)

If i do the first one it's going to be on the hardest difficulty. So i'll be likely to take a few headshots

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 3:24 pm 
The Almighty
The Almighty

Yeah, I've started a Lets Play of the original Deus Ex game. So far i've had quite a lot of disasters already, but i won't give any spoilers away :mrgreen:

Recorded 3 episodes so far, so will have those up after i've managed to edit them :D

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 4:10 pm 
The Almighty
The Almighty

What do you guys think would be the best way to tackle a leveling path through the game in a Let's Play. I don't mean the best path for quick leveling. I will almost certainly be buying the XP disabler so that I can pace my levelling if i choose.

Should I stick to leveling entirely in specific regions, to demonstrate them to their fullest?
This would leave the potential of doing the same for another character(s) to do the same for regions not visited, if i did another Let's Play Journey.

Should I do my normal levelling method of doing a bit here/there/everywhere?
This would give viewers a flavour of every region, and they can see what the content of each region is like before they buy quest packs.
Would also mean i can show off the various beauty spots, and region specific uber loots that are great while leveling (eg Evendim Barters, Angmar Fem, Trollshaws 3-piece...).
The downside is that in most cases, i probably won't be completing the majority of quests in each region.

Personally, I'm leaning towards option 2, as it's what i'm used to, and IMHO better for the purpose of "showcasing" the game in the videos.

-----

Also, is there anything - particularly at the start of the game - that you think i should cover. Things that you wish you'd known sooner when you first started the game, that sort of thing. I'll probably have most things covered, but in case I miss something having been here for a while...

Page 1 of 2 [ 15 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next