It is currently Tue Oct 17, 2017 11:08 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 
 Post subject: Website Lottery System
PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 4:31 pm 
The Almighty
The Almighty

Now that the website redesign is complete, and the previous features have either been revamped or retired, it's time to start evolving the site and it's use in use kin community.

The first phase of is is to introduce a loterry system that is both simple to use and flexible.

I'm going to outline how i currently vision the system below, although I'd love to hear feedback, suggestions or ideas from anyone :)

-----

The Basics

Viewing / entering lotteries will be very simple, and similiar to how Turbine does their lotteries. However, our lotteries are done at the account/player level, rather than on a "per character" basis. Each person can therefore only each lottery ONCE.

The default lottery page will display a list of available lotteries, probably in a left-hand column, as well as a list of currently entered lotteries, and recently won lotteries, via a right hand column.

The Content of Lotteries
Lotteries can be created with gold and/or item prizes.

Exactly how items become involved is up for discussion. Since many items have a visual appearance (eg, Cosmetics, Housing Items), it would be good to also have the option to display the appearance of an item. This will likely involve building up a database of prize items using a similar system to the screenshots system for adding them to the site.

I suspect we'd want to be able to have more than just 1 currency and 1 item prize as the lottery reward. so I'd probably allow for up to three items to be added. To be added to the site a lottery MUST have at least 1 coin OR item prize. You don't need both.

Requirements for a Lottery
  • A Host - The person responsible for a particular lottery. This is the same as the person who adds a lottery to the system.
  • A Title - Some sort of name to distinguish your lottery from eveeryone elses.
  • An Closing Date/Time - The Date/Time that the lottery will close. Entry clicks after this time will not count!
  • Prize(s) - What the winner of a lottery will receive

Anyone can host a lottery!

The problem with old kin lotteries is that no matter how we try to do them, they require an enormous amount of administration time and affort to host. And since these days I tend to hold all the goodies on one of my alts, it generally means i have to do all the leg work or it doesn't get done.

Once operational, any registered user of the site can host a lottery, add a cash and/or item prize, and get it rolling. That person is then responsible for dishing out the prize(s) after the lottery ends.

The Stages of a lottery

First, someone creates a lottery according to the specs above. It will then show in the "Available Lotteries" list for everyone on the site.

Secondly, registered (and logged in!) members of the site can click to enter these lotteries. These lotteries will then instead appear under the "My Entries" section.

Thirdly, the lotteries closing date/time will pass. At this point, no further entries will be accepted. The lottery will then automatically move to the "Closing" lotteries section.

Fourth, the lottery host will need to click the "pick winner" button on the closed lottery. The site will automatically pick a random winner and update this on the site. At this point, the lottery will disappear from the "Closing Lotteries" section. If you won, it will show up in your "Recent Wins" section. If you didn't win, it's simply gone.

The host will be expected to mail the prize other to the character that the site picks as the winner. Note that this will be to your main character (the character name you used for the site). Since the host has to manually click the "pick winner" button, Logically you should receive a mail in-game with your prize within 5 minutes of winning (otherwise the host is a noob for picking a winner at a time when they can't mail the prize :P).

If a lottery is stuck on the closing stage for too long, or you havent received your prize, you can easily check who the host of the lottery was, and annoy them until they sort it out :twisted:

-----

Any questions, or something i missed? :)

SW:TOR: Tannik ~ Celandra ~ Korrun
League | Steam | Minecraft: LeoxStryker

Post subject: Re: Website Lottery System
PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 4:47 pm 

Sounds like a good idea.

One thought however: you mentioned the possibility of adding up to 3 items; would it then be possible to create a lottery so that you can pick several 'winners' - i.e. First Prize, Second Prize, etc.?

Oh, and another thing (thinking a bit about Turbine's web lotteries here): Should there maybe be a possibility to limit/shape the lottery to fit e.g. a particular class, or level range? May not be possible if 'entering with your main' as you say; I'm just thinking aloud here... :P

Kitsunegari -- Huntress, 100; Weaponsmith
Safirlotus -- Minstrel, (65+); Scholar
Skullrend -- Guardian, (52+); Jeweller
Nareraumo -- LM, (40+); Yeoman

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 5:00 pm 
The Almighty
The Almighty

Arc wrote:
Sounds like a good idea.

One thought however: you mentioned the possibility of adding up to 3 items; would it then be possible to create a lottery so that you can pick several 'winners' - i.e. First Prize, Second Prize, etc.?

Oh, and another thing (thinking a bit about Turbine's web lotteries here): Should there maybe be a possibility to limit/shape the lottery to fit e.g. a particular class, or level range? May not be possible if 'entering with your main' as you say; I'm just thinking aloud here... :P

Multiple prizes (1st, 2nd etc) complicates the system somewhat for what i have to do behind the scenes :mrgreen:

And limitations based on classes or levels are not being implemented for the reasons you say (ALTHOUGH, theoretically possible if palyers entered this information via the site, but they are a lazy bunch, and such a system would be open to exploitation (can easily change level/class info)

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 5:31 pm 

Balthelion wrote:
Multiple prizes (1st, 2nd etc) complicates the system somewhat for what i have to do behind the scenes :mrgreen:

What about simply an option to input number of winners at lottery creation? And then:
for(int i=0; i<numWinners; i++){ chooseWinnerFromPool(); } 8-)

Kitsunegari -- Huntress, 100; Weaponsmith
Safirlotus -- Minstrel, (65+); Scholar
Skullrend -- Guardian, (52+); Jeweller
Nareraumo -- LM, (40+); Yeoman

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 1:11 am 
The Almighty
The Almighty

Yeah but that doesn't account for examples where:

1st gets 60% of the gold, and shiny A
2nd gets 20% of the gold and less shiny B
3rd gets 10% of the gold and even less shiny C.

If 3 identical prizes are given out, might as well do it as three different lotteries (and at different times)

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 12:51 am 
The Almighty
The Almighty

My Current Thoughts are this:

Prize Tiers:

Each lottery is capable of up to three tiers of Prizes. To avoid consuion, I'm referering to them as Gold, Silver & Bronze rather than 1st/1nd/3rd.

Gold tier is required.
Silver Tier is optional - In addition to the gold tier
Bronze tier is optional - In addition to Gold & silver tier. You CANNOT have bronze tier without silver tier.

Prizes:

You can specify the prizes you wish to award for each TIER.

There will be a limit on the number of DIFFERENT items for each tier (probably 3 to 5).

You Can specify a quantity of each different item. For example, you might have:
  • Item: [Red Fireworks]
  • Quantity: 20

Monetary prizes can be added to this system, although you will need to use a different item/line for different denominations (Gold Coins / Silver Coins / Copper Coins) if you use more than one.

For example, a lottery might award the following as a Gold Tier Prize:
  1. 2 x Tarnished Crest of Rohan
  2. 20 x [Red Fireworks]
  3. 1 x Gold Coin(s)
  4. 500 x Silver Coin(s)

Winners

You'll be able to specify the number of winners you want for each tier of prize. For example, you might want 1 Gold Tier winner, 3 Silver Tier winners, and no bronze tier winners. It'll be your responsibility to make sure you have enough items to cover the prizes!

When you tell the website to pick the lottery winners after a lottery has closed, it will pick winners starting with gold tier, and working its way down.

What happens if there are more prizes than entries?
Any leftover prizes on offer will not be awarded to any entrants, and can be reused in a later lottery.

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ]