It is currently Sun Jun 25, 2017 2:43 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Page 1 of 2 [ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: RoR Loot List - Google Docs
PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 1:31 pm 
The Almighty
The Almighty

I'm considering using google docs to create the Riders of Rohan loot spreadsheet. This should hopefully mean that I can share administration rights with other trusted people, so that more people than just myself can add to the spreasheet and keep information up to date.

This means taht the information can be compiled and updated faster, and there won't be any compatibility issues with not having certain versions of word etc.

I'm not familiar at all with google docs having never used it myself (to create things). So although I'll no doubt have a play around myself, If anyone has anything to add about the systems functionality with how it will relate to whatt we want to do with a loot spreadsheet, feel free to comment.

Any thoughts/comments on the idea?

SW:TOR: Tannik ~ Celandra ~ Korrun
League | Steam | Minecraft: LeoxStryker

Post subject: Re: RoR Loot List - Google Docs
PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 2:44 pm 
Danger Mouse
Danger Mouse

sorry, this time i am useless since i only have a clue about excel enought to make one simple formula, but nothing more, not speaking google.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 5:12 pm 
Captain General
Captain General

Can't say I've ever used it before, but just had a look at the spreadsheets and also seems pretty familiar - very like excel. Shout if you want a hand with anything!

Terrann - 20 Warden
Grimthryd - 20 Champion
Grimharl - 9 Minstrel
Grimfoil - 1 Burglar

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 7:42 pm 
First Marshall
First Marshall

I've used the word compiling a document with several people. Works well imo. Creating and managing it should be very easy and giving access to people is easy too. :)

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 11:15 am 

Sent you a link in a post to test it out. Never shared files before as I use it for my self.
I have Google apps on my own domain. So when it comes to sharing I have the option to make it editable for people in my domain, people who I send mail to or everyone on the Internet.
Since I don't have mail address to everyone, and people might be reluctant to share that information, I made it editable for everyone. The link is pretty long and not that easy to guess it might just do. But there's always the risk of some ill-doing person deletes it all. To prevent total data loss one can download a copy once in a while to local storage as a backup.
In order to make it a bit more safer perhaps sending the link in forum post instead of posting directly in the forum.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 3:01 pm 
First Marshall
First Marshall

U can also (atleast in the word version) go back to previous versions, and see what was changed (different editor with different colour) so version management should be pretty nice. :) Unless someone deletes the whole file (I don't know if this is possible tbh).

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 3:16 pm 
The Almighty
The Almighty

Well i have seen ragey posts from other games (maybe even lotro) where a public list was trolled and either A) Deleted entirely or B) The file still existed but all the data was gone. This could particularly be an issue for anyone not in the kin using it.

Worst case scenario we can use a public (kinship) google account to control access, if people don't want their own google accounts tied to it (assuming they have or are willing to get one in the first place)

Will try to import a RoI list into google for testing at some point.

SW:TOR: Tannik ~ Celandra ~ Korrun
League | Steam | Minecraft: LeoxStryker

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 5:07 pm 
First Marshall
First Marshall

Google docs also allows u to give edit access to people u want to have that access and others read-only access.. Just a though.

U do have a point there. If we're investing time and effort we want to make sure some sad nob won't ruin it for everyone.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 5:50 pm 
Disturber of the Peace
Disturber of the Peace

Why not create a back end dbase and link this to multiple aspx pages in order to update and view the data through sql querys. Can link it into one of the current user databases to allow permissions to add etc. I can knock a rough dbase up however i am very rusty at web design for the pages. But this would not be ready for ror as it would take some time and you would still have the bandwidth issues

https://zkillboard.com/character/93160905/

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 6:04 pm 

Created a rangers account in my Google apps, can apply edit to that and RO on public.
Only downside would be that other features will also be available from my domain. Not too sad about it since my things are marked as private. But docs and mails will count against the total available space.

If you want to use if it's fine by me. I can always close it if there's some evil things going on.

Page 1 of 2 [ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next